flyf15

Internet / Network Problems

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:25 am

Hey guys, wondering if any of you can help me out with this.

I have a DSL modem connected to a router, which is then connected to 2 computers. Perioidically (every 15-60 minutes) and without warning, the internet stops working on both computers and stops working for anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minutes. It then begins working again like nothing happened.

Anybody have any idea why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Both computers are using Windows XP SP2 and the DSL is through MSN...if that makes any difference.

Thanks much!

saxdiva

RE: Internet / Network Problems

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:05 am

You could run a virus checker on both systems just to be sure, but I'd lay odds this problem is with your DSL provider. Since you've got MSN, you'd do best to place a call to them, but be prepared that it could be a frustrating experience. Since DSL is provided over telephone lines (which are owned by your local telecom company here in the U.S.), that means the company who has the most power to do anything about the problem also has little motivation to help you. I'm lucky in that my service is--by lucky accident, I think--very good. My parents' DSL service really sucks, and switching providers has done nothing to help since it's over the same lines regardless of who gets the monthly payment.

One thing you CAN threaten, though, is to take your internet business to your cable provider. In some areas, they turn out to be a great alternative.

Good luck,
Leanne

Klaus

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:20 am

The router is probably set to auto-disconnect after a (short) while and it takes a bit to re-connect afterwards. Either prolong the timeout or set it to manual connect/disconnect.

hawaiian717

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:28 pm

Contacting MSN probably won't be too helpful. They don't actually provide DSL service, instead some of the telephone companies contract with them to provide content and cobrand the service. I know both Qwest and Verizon do, and SBC has a similar agreement with Yahoo. Since this sounds like a technical problem with your line, I'd look to contacting the phone company first.

David / ABQ

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:20 pm

If the Time between the Breaks is constant duration its the setting Switch to Manual Connect/Disconnect.
If not,it could be your ISP signal,since it affects both cmptrs.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bill142

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:41 pm

run dos prompt and type "ping -t www.yourprovider.com" it will continously ping the website and will tell you if the line is drip