yegmaster

Extreme Home Makeover

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:38 pm

I see a lot of construction on a daily base and know reasonably well what it takes to build something but after watching tonights show i can't figure out how the hell they build a 5300sq feet home (looks like a million bucks worth) in just 7 days.
The coordination must be a heck of a task.
There must be something else to it, somewhere.
Anybody have idea's?

saxdiva

RE: Extreme Home Makeover

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:49 pm

Hell, if I knew THAT I wouldn't have had to endure eight months of hell just to add a measly 900 sq. feet to my house.  Angry

777ER
Crew

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:14 pm

On 'Extreme make over, home edition' it basically involves team work and determination because you know that your helping a special family. The programme includes hundreds of builders, plumbers, electrians who work on the house. Designers who plan the work weeks in advance. people who buy most of the things for the 'new' house etc etc etc. The viewer only sees about 1/3 of all the people involved in making the programme work.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

air2gxs

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:37 pm

The question I have pertains to the foundation. What kind of concrete are they using that they can start building on it almost immediately? I couldn't tell if they put a basement back in, but that would only complicate issues.

Anyone know if there is an extremely rapidily setting concrete out there that can accept the load of a 5300 sq.ft. house that fast?

xpat

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:10 pm

I was wondering the exact same thing last night while watching. Tonight at 8pm they will reveal the "secret" on a show called "How'd they do that" or something like that. I'd be very interested to know the logistics of such a task.

That show always puts tears in my eyes.
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

yooyoo

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:11 am

As for the concrete issue, yes there are several admixtures that can be used to have concrete set up fairly quickly...or at least to a strength where it could reach a 7 day strength for '"normal" concrete.

I think the terminology is "High Early" concrete. Each company has it's own name for the additive.

The foundations might also be masonry.?

Personally, i'm amazed at the speed the roughing in of mechanical and electrical items are done. What about roof trusses? Inspections, permits,...the list goes on.

Quoting Saxdiva (reply 1):
Hell, if I knew THAT I wouldn't have had to endure eight months of hell just to add a measly 900 sq. feet to my house.

Next time your building in the Southern Ontario area...i'll give you my card.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

j_hallgren

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:29 am

As I understand it, they have building inspectors on scene all the time...and very good co-operation with permitting depts, etc.

The part i don't get: How they go from "design" to construction in less than a day as it shows...if they have it prep'ed ahead, then how would they get the family input as shown?
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!