whitehatter

Hello Sailor

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:19 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/02/21/uk.navy.ap/index.html

Britain's Royal Navy has joined the Stonewall Diversity Champions Program, to ensure that gay men and lesbians do not face discrimination in the service.

To comply with equality legislation the Navy is to ensure issues such as housing for couples of the same sex is equally provided, as long as they register under the Civil Partnerships arrangements due to become law in the UK later this year.

Stonewall is a longstanding campaigner for equality in the workplace and well placed to advise and audit the Royal Navy's move to combat discrimination. The Stonewall-led action in the ECHR brought this change about as the European Court upheld their complaint regarding discrimination in the armed services.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Klaus

RE: Hello Sailor

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:45 am

Nice title...!  Big thumbs up

akjetBlue

RE: Hello Sailor

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:18 am

I second that! Nice title!

I'm impressed to see this, now if only Mr Bush would push for this in the States... not very likely I'm afraid.

I had wanted to become a pilot and very seriously considered going the US Air Force route. Yet, how horrible would it have been to be dishonorably discharged from the service for someone finding out that I loved someone of the same sex, and off-setting my life goals by years? And may I add, my sexuality has no effect on my ability to fly a plane. *sigh*

Sad really, but the times they are a' changing. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to one day see "All men created equal" actaully happen!
Save a horse! Ride a Cowboy!