andz

How Often Does Your Country Change Money?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:57 am

Here in South Africa there is a new issue of bank notes under way. This is the third series of notes in the 30 years I have lived here. Obviously security systems are an issue and need to be improved, but how often does your country issue a totally new design of notes?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ltbewr

RE: How Often Does Your Country Change Money?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:39 am

The USA finally made a series of changes in our paper money ($5, 10, 20, 50 & 100) about 6-7 years ago, (after almost no changes since the 1930's) with further refinements in progress for the last year. We still have the $1 bill, despite attempts to encourage a coin. The recent changes have included larger portiates, offset from center, revision of the pictures of government buildings in the back side, more microprinting, revisions of the security strip, the value of the bill and other symbols in different colors in the background and other changes, all done to prevent color photocopying/scanning and printing on color printers via computers.

British767

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:45 am

In the UK, the only note which hasn't been changed in the last 6 years is the £50 note. All the new ones have new security features, and the same new font in the top left have corner, whilst the £50 is the older style one. Maybe the £50 hasn't been changed because it isn't as common as the other notes?

I remember that when the new £5 was brought out, they had to be re-called due to the paper used, and the ink and serial numbers rubbing off. All is OK now with them.

PilotJmartin

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:40 am

Here in Canada we are in the process of changing money. All of the bills have been changed to the new more colourful design with Braille on the top part. We have notes in 5,10,20,50,100 and coins in .01,.05,.10,.25,1, and 2. We call one dollar coins loonies and two dollar coins twonies.

bill142

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:01 pm

We had a big change during the 90's when we went from money being made from paper to what is esentially plastic. As a result the designs changed and there are clear windows on it which makes the notes much harder to counterfeit. A few years back the design of the $5 note was changed, but appart from that I'm not to sure how often the money has changed.

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:57 pm

Last change was when the switch to Euros was done. Nothing else programmed yet.

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

JGPH1A

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:00 am

Just BTW I really like Australian money - being plastic means it doesn't mind getting wet or washed in the washing machine, and it slips in and out of the wallet more easily. While I am a fan of the Euro, the actual notes are boring - I wish they'd put more interesting pictures on them. The coins are much more interesting.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

SlamClick

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:03 am

Quoting JGPH1A (reply 6):
While I am a fan of the Euro, the actual notes are boring - I wish they'd put more interesting pictures on them. The coins are much more interesting.

What I wish is that each coin had a LARGE numeral denoting its value. I hate having to put my glasses on to count change.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

tristarenvy

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:15 am

Oh, the US Dollar coin. The Post Office near me started to use those in their automated stamp machines. There must be millions of those damn things stored someplace, as hardly anyone like 'em.

I liked the One Pound coin, when I was in the UK, back in the late 80's. It looked, and more importantly FELT like no other coin I had to deal with. The Susan B. was too much like a US Quarter.

Aside from the new colors on US money, the last BIG visual change was a reduction of the size of bank notes in the late 1920's. Our cash was larger than it is now.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:31 am

The USA is attempting to change the design of every note above $5 every 7 years.

The only way a $1 coin will be successful in the USA is if the $1 note (bill) is discontinued. That's what the UK and Canada did. Unfortunately, the lobbyists (many working for Crane paper) are powerful, so 30 years of attempting to discontinue the $1 note have been unsuccessful.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

keno

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:21 pm

Malaysia is in the process of changing our paper notes to polymer-based, similar to Australia. It started late last year, starting with RM5 denomination.

andz

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:54 pm

What happened to my post with the Euro notes??

JGPH1A

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting Andz (reply 11):
What happened to my post with the Euro notes??

If it actually showed the notes, it was probably removed - I think it's illegal to reproduce images of banknotes.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

andz

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:15 pm

JGPH1A

Well they weren't real Euros, they were in response to YOU saying the pictures should be more exciting!

JGPH1A

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:17 pm

Try and post it again then - maybe I'll get to see it before the web-gestapo pounce !

ZRH

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:33 pm

Our bills are only ten years old but they already announced new ones because there are new safety features. BTW this is the main problem with the US Dollar. They have all the same size and color and are probably the easiest of all major currencies to counterfeit (€, $, £, ¥, CHF)