FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Friend Flying FL FLL-ATL Friday.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:39 am

Hey, a friend of mine/girl I like is flying FLL-ATL on Friday for a cheerleading competition. I will only see her tomorrow (unless I ask her out and go to dinner that night and take her to the airport the next day...fat chance) and I don't know the flight number...so my question is are any of the Elton/XM planes flying on the FLL-ATL route on Friday...and if anyone knows the ATL-FLL route on monday?

If yes, do you have any info on how the XM system works and if there is a fee or anything? I'm trying to impress her!
I looked at AirTran.com and they do not have Friday's flights listed yet.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

GroundStop

RE: Friend Flying FL FLL-ATL Friday.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:24 am

As far as the XM service, it is free. We charge $2 for headphones which you can keep. Tell her to bring her own. Its extremely simple to use. Theres a volume control and a channel control. You can browse through the channels by category until you find what you want. Its pretty neat. Now as far as the aircraft routing, there are only 2 aircraft doing the 'Elton Tour' on Friday, and neither of them pass through FLL. That being said, there are 10 planes now with Elton on the side and FLL is a fairly good-sized station for us so one will likely pass through. I don't have the advance routings for you yet but I'll check again tomorrow and see if I can get you any information.

JP

AirTran SOC

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:27 am

Thanks buddy! Hey, any fun facts about AirTran that I can pass along...I really want to impress her! She knows I like her and she has a boyfriend, but what the hell...I won't get anywhere in life unless I take a risk!

airtran737

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:31 am

Tell her that when the skies opened up after September 11th 2001, for a short period of time AirTran was the largest airline in the sky. It's a fact.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:37 am

That is interesting, but not what I'm looking for. Remember, I'm trying to get a girl, not teach a history lesson!

Lets see, maybe something that involves her trip. What are you serving nowadays? Which flights are 737 on the FLL-ATL run? Any cool articles in the magazine? (Like she'll be reading it)

Oh, and just a warning to any Atlantans in the GWCC area and downtown. THERE WILL BE AN INVASION OF CHEERLEADERS FRIDAY-MONDAY FOR THE CHEERSPORT NATIONALS! PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND WHILE YOU ARE IN DOWNTOWN!

I think I'll hook her up with some cool Atlanta ideas...I don't need help, I lived there for a long time. How's The Varsity nowadays? Still good?

zippyjet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:40 am

Your cheerleader friend is more than welcome to travel with us to BWI
I meet the last terminator flight from FLL to BWI flight 494.  Big thumbs up Tell her best of luck in her competition. BTW, one of the Baltimore Raven's cheerleaders is a regular customer with us! Regarding the chances of an Elton John XM bird; chances are slim that day but, there is always the chance of a last minute tail swap so, I would never say never. For impressing this young lady, if available, or business class seats are $35.00 each leg (FLL-ATL) and another $35.00 from (ATL-FLL). Encourage her to check in on our online check in anywhere from 90 minutes to 24 hours before her flight. Loads are heavy due to President's Day weekend and many folk up north get what's called winter break. Any A or C seat up to row 27 are good seats. If you take her to the airport, try to leave early and take a picture of her while doing some spotting.
Cheerleaders and airplanes brings a smile to my face.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kyle Donagher

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Jauchler

I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:51 am

These cheerleaders are mostly under 18, so I don't think you'll enjoy it! In fact some are preteen! The girl I like is 17...I'm 17...so...
NO!

Also, she is probably traveling with her squad and all, so most of it does not apply. Please let me know of any last minute swaps and about Monday.

IslipWN

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:59 am

If you want to be a real ladies man, you could upgrade them all to business class!

.....just a thought!

Joe

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:04 am

I would, but I'm saving up for my Carnegie trip in ONLY 2 WEEKS! So far I've got $75 in the bin and that won't even cover meals in NY, so not gonna happen!

njdevilsin03

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:35 am

Picking up my girlfriend in Orlando a couple weeks ago saw 3 planes come in full of cheerleaders before hers.... I was impressed being a young college student...i didn't mind her flight being an hour late haha.
717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

FrequentFlyKid

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:26 pm

Is this girl an aviation nerd also? Cause if not you're in trouble...

nycflyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:27 pm

hey, how about a photo of her in the cheerleader outfit?  Smile

will she and the others wear those cute little outfits on the plane?

hey, seriously buddy, I think it's great you're asking these questions. I'd do the same. Go have fun and I hope you SCORE!

OPNLguy

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:35 pm

>>>I really want to impress her!

Good grief, man... Talk about -her- and not about airliners, and you're likely to score more points...  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:37 pm

not an aviation nerd, but she flies more often than me. Sad, but true. When your in competition across the country and yo have to be up their that night, the WN flight to MCO is better than driving.

In the past year she's been to a few airports I have never been to including:
JAC
SLC
MCO

and flown:
738 and CRJ...I've never been on either  Sad
and that's just what I've asked her.

I think to her flying is just a way of getting to there...where to me it's half the fun of the trip!

She might get a little scared if/when she sees her plane on display in my room though!

She's not an enthusiest, but she knows a good deal about it just from her flying. Like she knows NW sucks because she's from MSP!

[Edited 2005-02-17 04:39:11]

Cactus739

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:24 pm

I'd go with what OPNL says, talk about her....not the planes.

If she's travelling with a group of her friends, I'd bet $10 she won't even put on headphones to listen to the XM...

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

aaflt1871

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:51 pm

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 2):
any fun facts about AirTran that I can pass along

You can tell her Airtran was once known as ValuJet.  Sad

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 4):
What are you serving nowadays?

Veal Cutlett or Chicken and Wild rice  Smile

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 8):
I would, but I'm saving up for my Carnegie trip in ONLY 2 WEEKS! So far I've got $75 in the bin and that won't even cover meals in NY, so not gonna happen!

It will get you a first class street walker down in Hunts Point N.Y Big grin

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 6):
Also, she is probably traveling with her squad and all,

Yeah her boyfriend is probably going with her, she will probably join the mile high club with him in the aft restroom  Pissed

Sorry it is late and I am bored.

Where did everybody go?

wjcandee

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:25 pm

Dude, I think it's great that you're doing this, but unless she's more than a little unusual for a cheerleader, she most likely, as you say, considers flying a way to get from here to there. You want to know about the flight from her, because you like talking/hearing about details like that. You also want to find a way to use your aviation knowledge, interest, and contacts to stand out with her. Good idea, but I personally think that this will be counterproductive if your real goal is some kind of relationship with her. People who already travel already have routines that are personal to them, about how they pack, how they check-in, and what they do on the plane, and these routines give them comfort and it's not enjoyable to deviate from them. You don't want to make her into a detail-sniffer for you, because that will make you seem like a geek/bother/annoyance, and you don't want to meddle with her routine and her expections/plans/fantasies about this trip.

So, you've gotta look at the big picture here. She's travelling with her friends/teammates. She's going to some sort of competition. The exciting things about the trip for her will be her friends and the competition. At her age, fitting in with and being admired by her friends (and, well, everybody) is going to be right at the top of her agenda. What happens on this trip in terms of social interaction and performance at the competition will be what she wants to tell you about, not what model of plane she flew, what its tail number was, whether it had XM or not, what gate it left from or went to, how the luggage service was (unless it totally sucked and she's complaining about it), how comfortable the seats were, how fresh-smelling the 717 was because it had 100% fresh air, how smooth the flight was, what approach/runway they used, what the captain said, or whether she got the whole can of soda. None of this interests the average cheerleader or, frankly, most people who aren't obsessed with aviation or are working in aviation. If she was travelling to meet you, you might make her feel cared about by upgrading her (I've done that for dates, who are of course appreciative). But she's not travelling to see you. She's travelling with her friends. She'd be potentially embarassed, uncomfortable, or otherwise thrown off by an upgrade, because she wants to be in the center of the social scene with her friends, not separated from them. Likewise, she'd be embarrased or uncomfortable by any cockpit announcement or other thing that any airline employee says that singles out her or (worse) you in front of her friends.

If you want her to like you, here's the most basic tip of all: when she gets back, be a good listener, about the stuff that SHE wants to talk about. I guarantee you from long experience that it won't be about anything to do with the details of the flight, or other aviation-related things that most interest you. But SHE interests you. Probably more than aviation. So, you LISTEN to what SHE wants to talk about, and you ask good questions about that. "Good questions" are questions that prompt her to keep talking about the stuff that she wants to talk about, not the details that you want to know about. Usually, all it takes is a "Wow! That's great!" or "Oh, that sucks", followed either by a "what happened then", "What did so and so say/think/do about that", or, most importantly, "How did that make you FEEL?". These are good prompting questions that show that you're listening and let her continue to talk. The basic point is that most people who are considered to be fascinating conversationalists are people who often don't say all that much, but rather laugh with people, get them to talk about themselves or what they like doing, and, most importantly, make them feel good about themselves. Sadly, very little of this has to do with the details of the flight that we want to know about. Save that for someone else.

My 2 cents anyway. Good luck.

--Bill

[Edited 2005-02-17 08:29:46]

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:32 am

Bill...
wow! What can I say...
That was deep and I agree with you 100%.

Just one thing...can I maybe just ask: "how was your flight?"

I don't know what I'm going to do. My plan is foiled and now I've got a tough decision tonight:
do I call her before her trip or wait until after.

Oh well. We'll see how I feel.

Hey, thanks all for your love tips, but we'll end it here before it becomes the love connection...so to make it official: BACK TO AVIATION!

wjcandee

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:24 am

Call her tonight: Brrrrring. "Hello?" "Hey, Buffy, it's FLAirport. Just wanted to wish you good luck and a good trip. This has got to be really exciting!" Then listen, because she'll clue you in as to whether she wants to talk more. Either she'll say, "Uh, yeah. Thanks," which is your clue to breezily and confidently say, "Well, I'm sure you've got a lot of last minute things to do, but I'd love to hear all about your trip when you get back. Take it easy." "Uh, thanks. Bye." Click. [This will leave her saying to herself, "Well, he seemed pretty cool and confident, and I'll have someone to tell all about this when I get back."] OR, she'll say something like, "Ohmygosh, FLAirport, I'm so NERVOUS/EXCITED/CONFUSED/DREADING/THRILLED about this trip." That's your clue to say, "Oh, I'm SURE. But/And I know you're going to have a great time." (Then let her talk.)

Okay, that's my last Love Connection advice.

All the best,

Bill

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:16 am

Oh great...I found out what flight she was on and overdid the flight tracking....

so, I told her best friend, also a friend of mine...who started to give me the whole creepy speech..."you know she's already scared of you" (great, just what I need)

And to add insult to injury, I just made it worse by giving her friend every detail. I thought i had fixed that little rift by saying that I do this for all my friends (which I really do)....I thought she would have been interested in where her best friend was.

So, now on Monday I've got to come clean to her. Tell her I did track her flight...but for my entertainment and not because she was on it. Then strike up a conversation about Atlanta and then tell her i like her. Monday will be hell for me!

And btw, her flight was an hour late, so she will complain.

CORULEZ05

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:53 pm

if you REALLY want to impress her....book her first class on a legacy carrier....now THAT would win you big points but dude, what the hell...she has a bf....dont waste your time.....more fish in the ocean...GO FISHING!
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:15 pm

Well, I'm not looking foward to talking to her tomorrow...as the famous line is: "ya got some splainin to do!" And that's what I gotta do. Undo the wrong with a complex explaination and then tell her what I think of her. and then hope for the best.

Any chance of flight 79 today or 73 or 77 tomorrow with XM?

And I have made a vow: I WILL NEVER TRACK A FLIGHT AGAIN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!! I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON!

aaflt1871

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:07 pm

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 19):
..."you know she's already scared of you"

Alright stalker, move on. Seriously, if her friend said that to you. Give it Up Don't make the girl feel uncomfortable. Here is an idea, don't contact her when she gets back, not in school, not on the phone, not on email. If she values your friendship at all, she will contact you asking if everything is alright. And if she does'nt, you will see where you stood with her all along. Move On

I see Dr. Phil is a member on this board using the name Wjcandee, and his advice is good. But you will have to chalk this one up as a loss this time. Call it a learning experience, or the one that got away. Use his advice with a girl who is not currently seeing another guy and shows the same interest in you.

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 21):
Well, I'm not looking foward to talking to her tomorrow...as the famous line is: "ya got some splainin to do!" And that's what I gotta do. Undo the wrong with a complex explaination and then tell her what I think of her. and then hope for the best.

You can try to spin dry it any way you like, but if she comes back and says "ya got some splainin to do!" (she will trap you into a corner with no way out and no explaination will work to save you) you will lose her friendship as well and might possibly get your ass kicked by her boyfriend. This will not be the first girl you will not get in life, you are young, don't dwell on this one too long.

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 21):
Any chance of flight 79 today or 73 or 77 tomorrow with XM?

Once again, don't worry about it, you are still in highschool, there is more than 1 cheerleader on the squad. If that is what you are looking for, aim for a single one. If not, hook up with a nerd in your class, someone who has potential to be successful and rich in life. Let her be your Sugar Momma  Smile
Where did everybody go?

wjcandee

Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:50 pm

I'll echo AAL. I wouldn't totally give up on her, but AAL is right that you probably want to chill a bit over the next couple of days. See, when people start retreating a bit from a person, sometimes our tendency is to ratchet it up even more, which seems to be your plan.

Unfortunately, that makes them swim further away. A friend once used a fishing analogy. I don't really fish, but I understand his point. His feeling is that you have to "set the hook", then "let the drag out". In other words, you don't pull hard on the string, you let the fish swim wherever it wants. Otherwise, if you try immediately to yank on the line really hard, the fish will "spit the hook". At the moment, if the hook is even a bit set, you've got to let the drag out all the way. Especially because you obviously have the problem of her "friends" trying to pry the hook loose with both hands. Respectfully, these are immature teenage girls, and you have to recognize that their feelings change from moment to moment, which is actually to your benefit. But I'd lay off the telling her you like her. She's already figured that out. Let it be unsaid, because the only reason for saying it is to try to prompt her to say it back, which at this point she won't. You have to let her come to the decision that she likes you on her own, and say it on her own. Don't tell her anything about your feelings. It will be counterproductive.

We've all been in the position where we pushed too hard too fast and they spit the hook. It isn't the end of the world, or of the relationship. The "creepy, stalker" thing is just a way for little girls to create drama, and no big explanation is going to help you recover from that. (That's because there's NO WAY that these girls will understand the fun of watching a flight on which someone you care about is riding. You and I both know that it can be fun -- but NO cheerleader in the world will EVER get it. It involves technology. It involves monitoring. The more you explain how cool it is, the more they will say "stalker". Because they need drama.) So...YOU'VE got to be cool, and don't really explain it in full. First of all, if she confronts you with it, blow it off: "Pfft. I just looked to see if your flight was on time, just like I'm sure your parents did." "But, FLAirport, why would you care?" "Well, you know I know a lot about aviation, and I was curious if Airtran was doing its job." (See, then it's about the airline -- bewildering to her but okay -- rather than about her -- incomprehensible to her.) If she doesn't raise the subject, there's no reason for you to say anything about it. Stick to the "How was your trip?" plan that we discussed earlier. If she doesn't call you immediately, don't call her. If she's your friend, which I assume means that she talks to you, then that means that she likes talking to you, even though her friends don't get you. And if she likes talking to you, in a day or two or three or four or five, she will. And you need to wait for that to be HER decision. Or you will blow it.

The great irony about teenage relationships (and a lot of adult relationships) is that the more one side pushes, the more the other side retreats. The game is always about making it be *their* idea to take a step, whereupon you offer just a whiff of acceptance. A brief example: In high school, I really liked this girl, who was a friend. She liked me, but dated somebody else. Then we went off to different colleges. She asked me to come up for a friendly visit. I went, expecting nothing but vaguely hopeful. I spent the weekend being a tad aloof, but certainly very solicitous. When we did group things with her new roommates, I made her look good to her roommates by telling them wonderful stories about how great she had been in high school. And I spent a lot of time listening to her privately telling me about all of her concerns about this and that. She, of course, was used to me making her feel good about herself; I'm sure that it was that she was craving a comforting presence that motivated her to call me for a visit. Her roommates, by the way, were brilliant and gorgeous -- something that I really didn't pay attention to because I was focused on her. Because I delivered pretty much what she expected, my trip really did nothing to advance anything with her. But we had fun. What I didn't really notice all weekend was that one of her roommates was showing all sorts of signs of interest in me, something that I also missed because I was focusing on my friend. On the last night, the roommate just literally threw herself at me, with a passion and depth that I had not theretofore experienced upon knowing someone so briefly. Why? Because by building up and supporting my friend, and making her look good to others, I looked to her roommates to be a REALLY GREAT GUY. They thought that she was NUTS for never having dated me, and one of them wasn't going to let me just disappear after the weekend. There were some logistical problems (like a four hour trip) to the resulting relationship, but it was one that I still look back fondly upon. The moral here is that if you are a good guy, and act like it without trying too hard, somebody is going to notice. And if it isn't this girl, there may well be somebody better right in the same corral.

Oh, yeah. Her friends are not your friends. Don't share anything remotely private, like how you really feel about her, with them, just interact primarily with her. The information that they give you is a day or week old, which means that it's probably totally wrong. And whatever you tell them will get back to her, probably in a form far far away from what you said. And remember something that politicians know: never answer directly or responsively a question that you don't like, and don't repeat the loaded parts of the question. To wit, "I heard that you were electronically monitoring her and she's ready to get a restraining order." "Oh, that's silly. Everything's fine." (Rather than, "I did not monitor her electronically. I just used the Flyecomm computerized flight tracking system to watch her particular flight, its altitude direction, speed. I do it all the time. And I haven't heard ANYTHING about a restraing order. Really.") See, it's better to just in a few works shut the whole thing down without really discussing it. They're not entitled, really, to ask. So don't give them any kind of response that doesn't make you look good, and above all this fray.

Okay, enough Dr. Phil. After a long time of interacting with people, I can say for sure that there's always another relationship right around the corner, and the ones I have had have ALWAYS been better than the last one. It's called learning. And growing. And it keeps going until you become very, very old.

All the best,

Bill

wjcandee

Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:58 pm

Woah. I missed the part about that she has a boyfriend. That makes this a longer-term proposition. You really, really need to let the drag out. Everything that I said is still valid, I think, but it's a longer-term proposition, and it definitely requires that you not tell her that you like her. She knows that, and it's up to her over the next little while to decide that, because you are so cool and such a good listener and make her feel good about herself, that she needs that from you.

All the best,

Bill
Who counsels strongly against any 'splainin.

airlinelover

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Dude.. You screwed up 100% . .. Give it up, don't even talk to her unless she talks to you now.... If she comes back and yells or bitches at you, take it like a man because YOU SCREWED UP. Left the poor girl scared of you.. geez..

Here's hoping she finds a REAL man, and that her b/f doesn't beat the crap out of you.

Oh- don't forget to tell us how it goes after you come clean.
Chris

[Edited 2005-02-21 11:15:57]
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

gocaps16

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:31 pm

Sorry dude, now she thinks your a stalker....just forget about her....besides, what if she tells her boyfriend about this....better find a good hiding spot.

Oh, BTW..if you want a girl, first get a part time job, that shows her that you are actually doing something in your life, besides school, and earn some cash for her. Some tip for you...you still need to learn alot my friend.

Kevin

Oh Bill, aren't you gonna charge him $15 per post on the advice you gave that poor guy?  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2005-02-21 11:48:55]

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:34 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (reply 23):
That's because there's NO WAY that these girls will understand the fun of watching a flight on which someone you care about is riding. You and I both know that it can be fun -- but NO cheerleader in the world will EVER get it.

Stereotype...she's not like that...SHE'S IN HONORS CLASSES!

Quoting Wjcandee (reply 23):
Oh, yeah. Her friends are not your friends

not true...in the past few weeks I have gotten close to her best friend (also hott and with a boyfriend)...but she knows that I won't ask HER out!

Bottom line...I've gotta talk to her today. If I already screwed things up this bad, I have a 50/50 chance to make it better. I get mixed signals from her. She doesn't do anything special towards me, but she looks over a lot...but she won't talk unless I talk to her. I've got to tell her this and get it out of the way.

BTW, her squad came in second with 968 score. Cooincidentially, my other friends (male) team came in first with a 971.

Also, if she wants to make rehersal she is on TRS71, but I'm gonna get my mind off of that now and take a shower...so wish me luck. I just hope she makes it to rehersal today.

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:39 am

Her flight landed (or at least I'm persuming it is her flight) and I didn't realize I had missed it until 10 minutes later. Too bad, I was going to watch from my backyard  Sad

But it is progress! I just preoccupied myself and it turned out ok!

A319114

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:55 am

And I thought Airliners.net was about aviation  Insane
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

IHadAPheo

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:24 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 19):
so, I told her best friend, also a friend of mine...who started to give me the whole creepy speech..."you know she's already scared of you" (great, just what I need)

OK a couple of comments here...

First I may be an old man of 42 but I do have vauge (but quite happy) memories of being 17. Trust me on this one if a girl's friends are telling you that she is "already scared of you" and you are going to try impress here by telling her that you are tracking the progress of her flight the chances that you will win her affection are shall we say nothing. To be honest in the over paranoid world today you maynot win her heart but in fact win a free trip to the local police station and win you parents a large bill for legal fees.

Now for the boring bit where i speak as a father of a daughter...

First of I love planes, I go to the YYZ meets with my daughter in tow and stand around at the wendys and Fed EX taking pictures etc. That said I have to say that unless the parents were aviation fans the knowledge that you were sitting by the computer and tracking the movements of their daughter may be a cause of some concearn.

In fact in todays world I would say thatyou might want to at first find a girl who likes you and has a minimum intersest in aviation and let things grow from there. Since going down the road you are going now may only cause you not to meet the girl of your dreams but the fist of this girls father or boy friend and a cellmate who could care less about planes but still might want to be "friends"

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

wjcandee

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:36 am

Dude...I'm reading your posts and it's clear that what I'm saying is not sinking in.

So I will say it bluntly: RELAX!!!

You DON'T have to talk to her today. If you had this under control, you wouldn't be telling us about it. You're overeager, and it's going to KILL your chances of a relationship with her as opposed to being relegated to permanent "friend" status (e.g. where you have to leave your unit at home).

I am really enjoying reading all the perspectives posted on here, and it's interesting how consistent they are. We all know you're not a stalker or a bad guy, but we're all telling you to chill because that's the only way this ends up going the way you want it to.

Everyone is telling you this for a reason. The reason is that we are right.

People want to believe that their particular situation is so unique that it defies the broad-brush advice that we outsiders find it so easy to dispense. It isn't that unique. Go watch an episode of SuperNanny this week on ABC. Every parent every week thinks that their out-of-conrol kids are so unique that textbook parenting techniques like quiet time and bedtime routines won't work. They are SHOCKED to find that little Bobby is just like every other 3 year old. What you are describing is textbook stuff.

Also, don't nitpick our posts to find details to cling to in order to convince yourself that your situation is different and our advice doesn't apply. It isn't, and it does. That she's in honors classes, and therefore might have a brain, is probably one reason that she appreciates you. But unless she's a total freakin' geek, she's NOT going to appreciate the whole flighttracker thing. And you're STILL DOING IT. You can't wait for her to get back. You want so badly to speak to her because you want to fix this. You're tingling with anticipation. You've got to blow this off and RELAX!

As to her best friend, if I read your post right, her best friend sold you out, and tells you that your friend is scared of you. If that's true, the best friend is not your friend, believe me. She is not someone that you should unload your deepest and most private thoughts on. But whatever.

Bottom line: RELAX! You're obsessively trying to control a situation that's not in your control, to manage details now in order to get the thing going back your way. What you don't realize is that all these attempts to manage stuff are going to backfire. You have to learn to have enough self-confidence to let the drag out. BELIEVE ME, we have all been there, and we've all tried the approach that you're taking in one way or another, and we've all been told not to, and we've all gone ahead and done it anyway and we've all been just shocked that things didn't work out. Until we learned to let the drag out.

You're eventually going to learn to make a good impression, be a good guy, and then let them come to you. And when you have whatever girl you like making a play for YOU, you'll finally understand how good that feels. You won't know what to do with yourself, except thank us.

Relax. Let her come to you.

All the best,

Bill
Who is really right about this.

PS One day I'll tell you about my friend's "No pride approach to dating". It has at its foundation the premise that it doesn't matter which one of the ten most appealing women in the room is the one that you date. That you shouldn't focus on just a single person when you're dating, that you should let yourself find ten people that you would like to date, and then pitch yourself to all ten, regardless of the pride-crumpling effect of the 9 rejections that you will get. He, a not-too-attractive guy, but a good guy, would invariably get at least one date with at least one of the top-ten women on his list. When that relationship ended (after one date or one year), he'd go right back to the method. It required, in his explanation, having no pride. But MAN the women that he went out with were awesome. While this is not a technique that most people could use effectively, because most people hate rejection and he just took it, it does make the point that you CAN'T just focus on one person, or you'll waste way too much time. Think of it this way: can you really say for sure that you'd be happier at the end of the day going out with this girl rather than her best friend? Probably not. Take that principle and find five women that you'd find fungible, then ten. Wow, all of a sudden you aren't focused on just one person, and you have ten friends to do stuff with, and they start competing for your time, until one steps up and makes her move. Okay, so I guess I did tell you about it. It's all about having the right perspective, which you -- and I mean this in the nicest way -- are starting to lose.

gocaps16

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:12 am

Dude man,

Listen to Bill. He's the best person you got right now to help you with this situation instead of seeking professional help. Well, I think you're crazy, IMHO. But, just forget about her and her friend...seems like she was trying to get rid of you without being face to face. One thing, I do not get is if she hasa boyfriend already, why are you trying to win her heart? Clearly she's not interested in you.

Dude, don't bother on handling this by yourself otherwise things WILL backfire and you'll be in an embarrasing situation...all she'll do is laugh becuase she's popular, smart, pretty and you're not. She's probably into jocks, preps, skaters, and not aviation geeks or posers. 'nuff said. As what to Bill said, you should read this whole thread again til it makes sense to you.

Kevin

airlinelover

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:20 am

So what happened? Did her boyfriend give you an all expenses paid trip to the ER yet?

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

gocaps16

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:49 am

Let me tell you a story, FLAirport.

When I was in high school, I knew a girl I had classes with...I was a sophomore, and she was a junior. Her and her family were traveling outside of the country for that summer on vacation for a month...she has two younger sister about my age and one was my ex-girlfriend, I knew her whole family, her mother liked me and as well of her step-father..Well, my friend, she went to Cyprus and we kept in touch via email while she was gone for a month. She gave me her flight information and the date of when they were to come back home. Well, the coolest part of what she told me was that I surprised her whole family by meeting them at the International Arrivals at Washington-Dulles Intl. Airport of when they arrived. That really made her happy that I was there with her mom and her relatives. She was no cheerleader, but she was popular in her class, really smart, and very beautiful. I had no thought of flight tracking, even tho, I don't track flights without their permission, even tho, she'll think that'll be really cool if I did...

If your friend was alone, then it might've been alright with her, of course, her permission to meet her at the airport, but with 50 of her mates, she'll feel uncomfortable to meet you...She doesn't sound like she's your friend. Why do you have to talk to her first for her to talk? If she was your friend, she'd talk to you first...my two cents.

Kevin

aaflt1871

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 28):
Too bad, I was going to watch from my backyard

Stalker!!! Am I the only one who hears the Twilight Zone theme playing in my head when I read his replies?

Quoting A319114 (reply 29):
And I thought Airliners.net was about aviation

Well, we have had the official rollout for the A380 and the 772LR now, what is left to talk about? Do you want to talk about NW replacing their DC-9's, or US or UA ceasing op's to go into Chapter 7? I got it, let's start another A vs. B war!!!

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 27):
not true...in the past few weeks I have gotten close to her best friend (also hott and with a boyfriend)...but she knows that I won't ask HER out!

Do not think for one second that if the cheerleader stops talking to you, her friends (which you think are now also your friends) will still talk to you. They will talk behind your back!!

Bottom line...I've gotta talk to her today.

So you want to end this friendship sooner rather than later I see. Look no offense, but you are a stupid kid. We were all once like you, except for the stalker part. You are too hardheaded to listen to your elders. I am 29, what I am, and Dr. Phil and the others on here are trying to tell you is, you being a kid too young to see the whole picture like all of us clearly see on the outside looking in. You have tunnel vision, you only see and hear what you want to see and hear. Stand back for a moment and do as us and look at the big picture. Do you see how creepy you are? If you keep it up, you will end up with 2 things, a broken heart, and a ass whooping. Give her space, see if she talks to you. You will end up looking like an ass and will be the laughing stock of your school, if you keep this up.

If I already screwed things up this bad, I have a 50/50 chance to make it better.

You are only going to make things worse, leave her alone.

I get mixed signals from her. She doesn't do anything special towards me, but she looks over a lot..

Are you sure she is even looking at you?

but she won't talk unless I talk to her.

Does that tell you something? Maybe she is only being nice and making polite conversation.

Let me ask this, how did you get her #? Did you find it in a phone book?
Where did everybody go?

travatl

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:16 am

TWO Things:

A) You asked if the Varisty was still good. I lived a block from the Varsity for 3 years, and it was NEVER good.

B) Could we maybe move this thread over to the "non aviation" forum?

Travis

wjcandee

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:45 am

Hey, Trav, it's a diversion and a chance to do a nice thing for a young aviation buff that likes to contribute to this forum. Besides, the whole ordeal is all but over. We're a tough audience, and he's getting a lot more tuff luv than he probably bargained for and probably would get anywhere else. This is a "community" after all, and while this has gone off-topic, it's basically over and maybe did some good for a member of our Community.

Best,

Bill

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:55 am

Ok...mods, please either move this or archive it.

I'd like to say that I did not talk to her today...but only because I couldn't. I was stuck in rehersal for what I thought was the hour break. And when I got out I had to rush home, so I couldn't see her. I will talk to her breifly tomorrow. I'm ready to do this. I've liked her for almost a year now and she knows it. It's just something I've gotta do.

wjcandee

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:23 am

Sigh.

Well, different people learn in different ways. You, my friend, will learn by negative reinforcement.

Me, I'll be thinking of you when I watch Supernanny tonight. Yet another couple who are in denial of sociological truth will be taught the exact same techniques that have been applied to vastly different families over the last five weeks. And they'll get the same beneficial result even as they insist, as you do, that they're different.

I think this thread is over, but I hope you'll think back on everyone's kind thoughts to you when you're forced to adopt another strategy as regards future babes. And I assure you that there will be many...far more than your mind today could ever imagine. At some point in your future, take that good interesting guy that you are, and try doing what we're saying. I promise you that you'll find the outcomes at least interesting.

One thing about guys my age is that we know that if we were your age again, and we knew what we know now, we would RULE. Even those of us who had pretty decent experiences with women at your age would love an opportunity to do it over.

All the best,

Bill

airlinelover

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:27 am

Don't delete or archive it yet.. Not till he tells us what happens!

CHris

hawk44

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 pm

Dude let me tell you this I have been in your spot a few years ago and I know it's not fun but everybody has this happen. You need to put the brakes on real quick or your going to feel foolish and you will feel weird around her for a long time. She's got a boyfriend and regardless if you like it or not you have to respect it or she will either hurt you by telling you this or he will by threatening you and then you have a whole new problem on your hands. You whip his ass and she hates you or he kicks yours and looks like he's protecting his interest not good either way.

This girl sounds like a major leaguer and you no offense are not ready to play in the majors yet. You need to swing the bat in the minors first, find a girl that's cute and has common interest with you and go out with her it will be less pressure and you could find someone you really like or learn a lot about yourself and relationships.

Hell this is just high school and all you really need is someone that understands you for you and this girl from what you say does not. You will tell yourself oh wow she looked at me this way and oh she said she liked my shirt or things like that and it's probably cause she is trying to be nice not cause she's trying to flirt with you. Yes it hurts but some things are just not meant to be and you said your going on a trip soon that's a great time to try and flirt with a cute girl. And chances are a girl that's on the trip has at least one of your interest. Good luck and don't worry girls are something that will never be easy to figure out.

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

airlinelover

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:38 pm

so, it's almost wednesday!! WHat happened!

Chris

asteriskceo

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:49 am

What's her email addy? I'll be happy to foward this topic to her. Then she'll like you!

CactusA319

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:08 am

Damn I didn't even see this thread until now.

I doubt FLAIRPORT (I never realized it was FL-Airport, I always read it as flair-port. Now it makes sense) is going to come back and say how it went after all the advice given him here. I mean if he goes down in flames (which appears pretty damn likely) he's not going to come back in here and have to read 20 I told you so's from the older, wiser, non-virgins in the forum.

[Edited 2005-02-24 00:09:30]

airlinelover

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:15 am

Cactus A319- (same here with his SN) If he took the advice of us "older, wiser, non-virgins" then maybe he'd get somewhere..  Big thumbs up
(he needs to ignore CORULEZ05 tho.. )

Chris

gocaps16

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:36 am

I bet the kid got slapped or something, poor kid...it's not the end of the world, F--L--A--I--R--P--O--R--T but you never know, if he got laid by her, then he'll be laughing at us.....nah..

Kevin

Kieron747

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:35 am

Hi

Whats exactly does 'tracking her flight mean'

Like on the internet?

Or something else?

And anyways, if I knew that some guy had 'been tracking my girlfriends flight', and considering bumping (both her and her ticket) I would be a bit miffed.

Imagine if someone did that to your girlfriend... How would you react?

But some of these lines have been classic!

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 13):
She might get a little scared if/when she sees her plane on display in my room though!

Quoting AAFLT1871 (reply 22):

Alright stalker, move on. Seriously, if her friend said that to you. Give it Up

Quoting Airlinelover (reply 25):
Dude.. You screwed up 100% . ..

Quoting FLAIRPORT (reply 28):
Too bad, I was going to watch from my backyard Sad
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

767Lover

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:25 am

I don't understand why guys think they have a chance with someone who ALREADY HAS a boyfriend. If the girl can be that easily "lured" to be with someone else when she's already with someone, she'll probably be "lured" away from you, too at some point.

Find someone who's already available, and next time try to impress them by showing an interest in their life, not by showing how much you know about YOUR interests.

nwa man

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:26 pm

Oh, definitely some classic lines on here.

Quoting AAFLT1871 (reply 35):
We were all once like you, except for the stalker part.

Quoting Kieron747 (reply 47):
And anyways, if I knew that some guy had 'been tracking my girlfriends flight', and considering bumping (both her and her ticket) I would be a bit miffed.

My two cents - dude, focus this energy on another lady. One of my friends has this great line - "there's always a girl". And if you're a single guy, there always is one (if not two or three). Find the next one. It's not hard. They're everywhere. Especially in high school, and fucking especially in college. Ugly as hell? Speech impediment? No experience? No green card? Live in a cardboard box? Doesn't matter - everyone finds someone in college, even if it's only for 20 minutes or so.

The sooner you get over it, the sooner you can move on with your life.

Regards,

N-Dub
Create your own luck.