garnetpalmetto

25th Anniversary Of The Miracle On Ice

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:56 am

25 years ago today, a group of amateur and collegiate players who a good many individuals didn't expect a lot of beat the vaunted Soviet hockey team 4-3 in what is now known as the Miracle on Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid. While the win wouldn't give them the gold medal immediately, it's an achievement that I think any fan of hockey, not just Americans, can appreciate. If you've not yet seen the movie "Miracle," I highly recommend you do so, as it's a testament to what motivation and teamwork can accomplish, especially when the hockey headlines are dominated by the lockout. It's a shame though that the architect of the miracle, Herb Brooks, wouldn't be around to see this anniversary.

South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

tristarenvy

RE: 25th Anniversary Of The Miracle On Ice

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:01 am

I am no sports fan by any means, but that night in 1980 is one of those "goosebump moments" for me. I sat there in my living room with friends and family and went wild when we won. And it's funny how so many folks seem to remember THAT moment as when we won the gold, forgetting the fact we played another game, to get it....
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.