TACAA320
Topic Author

Pope's Opinion On Gay Marriages

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:32 am

I will regret to post this...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/02/23/pope.book.reut/index.html

[Edited 2005-02-23 16:33:30]
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

JGPH1A

RE: Pope's Opinion On Gay Marriages

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:37 am

Isn't he dead yet ?

Anyway, who cares - he's an old fascist living about 5 centuries too late. Time the Catholic Church woke up and smelled the reality. I think he should look to the paedophile in his own eye before worrying about the gay mote in anyone elses.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting JGPH1A (reply 1):
Isn't he dead yet ?

Don't you read the news? Or at least watch the T.V.?

Remember that you [and me] MAY die before him.

Once he die, another will come...  Wink/being sarcastic
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Falcon84

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:01 am

I respectfully disagree with the Holy Father on this one.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Catatonic

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:27 am

Its about time this old crow did us all a favour and dropped dead, he has more blood on his hands than any known serial killer to date! (I am, of course, referring to the catholic church's stance on condom use and the consequential spread of HIV, VD's and the rise of abortions).
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

san747

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:33 am

When are people gonna get with the times?... That's all I can say...
Scotty doesn't know...

jaysit

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:54 am

Maybe he just got really emotional after he was invited to Brittany Spear's "Ideology of Good" wedding ceremony.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:54 am

When are people gonna get with the times?... That's all I can say...

While I, like Falcon84, disagree with the Holy Father on this one, I do have a certain degree of admiration for the church's unwillingness to compromise on their tenets and beliefs just because they don't happen to be popular.

Their belief, right or wrong, is - "Why should we 'get with the times', and change our stance because your beliefs are different from ours?" - essentially saying they won't give in to peer pressure.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Orion737

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:58 am

I am all for gay marriage. Anything that encourages gay men to form lasting commitments. Maybe marriage will help us understand the concept of fidelity and monogamy, two very uncommon traits in the gay world.

Also If I had been married to my partner, I would now be able to claim half of what was mine, instead of being left with nothing!

jaysit

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:04 am

Their belief, right or wrong, is - "Why should we 'get with the times', and change our stance because your beliefs are different from ours?" - essentially saying they won't give in to peer pressure.

That's fine.

No one was expecting the Pope to embrace gay marriage.

But using language like the "ideology of evil" is rather extreme, don't you think?

The Pontiff could have stated his opinions in a manner befitting his stature rather than condemning those he disagrees with as some distilled apparition of evil. The words of this man are viewed upon as Gospel truth by many of his followers, and his categorization of gay marriage as an ideology of evil is pure demagoguery that creates a division of fear and loathing.

KROC

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:08 am

This just goes to show you how outdated the church is. Sad really.

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:38 am

But using language like the "ideology of evil" is rather extreme, don't you think?

If re-read what I'd written, you'd see the first thing I said was that I disagreed with the Holy Father on this.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

VSlover

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:42 am

like amy poehler said on saturday night live the other week:

"this week gay marriage was condemned by an older single man wearing a cape."

SFOMEX

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:52 am

Quoting Jaysit (reply 9):
That's fine.

I'd agree with you on this. This wording could promote homophobia, which is a sin by itself, like any other kind of hate or prejudice. Yet, after reading the whole article and based of what I know about the Holy Father, I think he was referring to a broader trend in modern society:

"It is legitimate and necessary to ask oneself if this is not perhaps part of a new ideology of evil, perhaps more insidious and hidden, which attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man," he writes.

I've quoted an interesting part of the CNN's article. I think he was talking about the so-called "Culture of Death." The one who promotes abortion, euthanasia and attacks family an moral values. Of course, you could agree or disagree with this vision of the world, but I don't think that he was calling homosexuality an "ideology of evil." Indeed, that would be against current Church's teachings on this subject.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

SSTjumbo

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:59 am

I have my religious beliefs and will not bring them into this thread. What I will say is the gov't shouldn't even recognize anything as a marriage. The gov't should only recognize civil unions, and let individual religions or non-religious groups (nothing wrong with either on a social level) coin what they'll consider a marriage.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

gigneil

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:32 am

Quoting SSTjumbo (reply 14):
What I will say is the gov't shouldn't ejavascript:;ven recognize anything as a marriage.

Hear hear. That is EXACTLY the way things should be.

N

LH423

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:39 am

Quoting SFOMEX (reply 13):
Yet, after reading the whole article and based of what I know about the Holy Father, I think he was referring to a broader trend in modern society:

Quite so, but I don't think anyone would disagree in saying that the Pope would include homosexuality and gay marriage would fall into that category.

Being a product of Catholic education no matter how much the Church tries to say "Hate the sin, love the Sinner" they do NOT practise what they preach.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

TWFirst

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:47 am

OF COURSE Pope Yoda is going to condemn gay marriage.... although he too seems to be confused by civil marriage and the religious institution known as marriage  Insane....

Anyhoo... he knows that when gay marriage becomes common in the civilized world, all the flaming homo priests are going to become REALLY jealous and pissed off they can't marry each other.... so he wants to avoid the inevitable as long as possible.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

flybyguy

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:48 am

Quite true. The Church is supposed to be the foundation of ancient moral ideals and therefore cannot be expected to conform to popular opinion unless they stand the test of time.

I too think that this is a rather extreme statement. I would hope the Holy Father's book can clarify what he means by this. I believe that the Church had recently proclaimed that to be a homosexual is not a sin but to act upon it's inherent pressures is.

Anyway, who cares - he's an old fascist living about 5 centuries too late. Time the Catholic Church woke up and smelled the reality.

Looks like you woke up on the wrong side of the sarcophagus this morning. To answer your statement look at my above reply to Jaysit.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:00 am

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...10000103&sid=aTMbI2gOR5UU&refer=us

---------------------------------------------------

"Looks like you woke up on the wrong side of the sarcophagus this morning."

That's the funniest thing I ever read. Can't stop laughing...

174thfwff

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:06 am

This, along with a few other problems the church has faced recently, has made me a living catholic, with out actually being a "true" catholic. I love the Bible as a book, lots of great rules to live by. Some of the ten commandments are fantastic. Like...

Commandment 5- Honour thy father and thy mother... Which I also view as not only parents, but those superior to us as well.

Commandment 6- Thou shalt not kill... Though many times within the Bible people kill in the name of God. (One of the many double standards). Many in the past viewed this as don't kill within the Catholic religion...

I could go on and on about the good of the Catholic Religion, but when it comes down to daily preaching of acceptance that many priests and the pope profess, then come and lay the smackdown against homosexuals, this is what upsets me because how could God not accept people based on their sexual orientation?
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

lehpron

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting TACAA320 (reply 0):
I will regret to post this...

Liar. What kind of replies would you have been expecting? You posted because you felt it necessary.

With regards to the pope on gays, I am not surprised, he's religious old school.

Ask any [seriously] religious person about anything homosexual and their answers will be varied but the average of the their answers are the same -- they don't like it -- all their opinions can be traced to this reserved judgement. This is what they have been taught to believe.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

flybyguy

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Lehpron (reply 21):
This is what they have been taught to believe.

Liberalism is TAUGHT as well as conservatism. Please keep that in mind.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

SFOMEX

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting 174thfwff (reply 20):
I could go on and on about the good of the Catholic Religion, but when it comes down to daily preaching of acceptance that many priests and the pope profess, then come and lay the smackdown against homosexuals, this is what upsets me because how could God not accept people based on their sexual orientation?

That's not accurate. The official position of the Roman Catholic Church in regard to homosexuals is found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity [1], tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered [2].” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstance can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

These articles are quite clear. The Church condemns homosexual acts because they are "intrinsically disordered." Yet, the Church does not condem homosexuals and recognizes that gays and lesbians are called to "fulfill God’s will in their lives." Even more, discrimination is plainly condemned by the Church. Hope this help to clarify the topic.

RedDragon

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:07 am

Quoting SFOMEX (reply 23):
These articles are quite clear. The Church condemns homosexual acts because they are "intrinsically disordered." Yet, the Church does not condem homosexuals and recognizes that gays and lesbians are called to "fulfill God’s will in their lives." Even more, discrimination is plainly condemned by the Church. Hope this help to clarify the topic.

Shame that the Church discriminates against homosexuals (and bisexuals, for that matter) itself then isn't it?

solnabo

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:09 am

F Phelps & Pope Johannes Paulus = the one n same IMO  Yeah sure

Micke/SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

SFOMEX

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:15 am

Quoting RedDragon (reply 24):
Shame that the Church discriminates against homosexuals (and bisexuals, for that matter) itself then isn't it?

Would you care to elaborate? You know, to prove your statement.

jaysit

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:18 am

Liberalism is TAUGHT as well as conservatism. Please keep that in mind.

Yes.
And thank goodness for those great liberal thinkers of the Western Renaissance and Reformation without whose teachings and rationalism we would still be living in the Biblically ordained dark ages.

They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity.

Its amazing how they pull this so-called "conclusion" out of thin air. The Church never ceases to amaze me.

PacificWestern

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:15 am

Isn't he dead yet ?

Anyway, who cares - he's an old fascist living about 5 centuries too late. Time the Catholic Church woke up and smelled the reality. I think he should look to the paedophile in his own eye before worrying about the gay mote in anyone elses.

Quoting Catatonic (reply 4):
Its about time this old crow did us all a favour and dropped dead, he has more blood on his hands than any known serial killer to date! (I am, of course, referring to the catholic church's stance on condom use and the consequential spread of HIV, VD's and the rise of abortions).

Please gentlemen....you don't need to sugar coat things for us. Tell us strongly how you feel.  Big grin

aerorobnz

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting PacificWestern (reply 28):
Please gentlemen....you don't need to sugar coat things for us. Tell us strongly how you feel

I wish there were more people like them that don't put everything into Euphemisms. Respect for them being like that.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

PacificWestern

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:30 am

I do too AerorobNZ. I was teasing them for being so blunt...and honest. Hence, the winking smiley face. I am a bit surprised that certain individuals that post here haven't begun shredding Catatonic and JGPH1A for what they wrote. I hope their posts don't get them banned though, as I am sure suggestions for deletions will be sent. Sadly.

174thfwff

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:36 am

Quoting SFOMEX (reply 23):
The Church condemns homosexual acts because they are "intrinsically disordered."

Isn't this just saying that what they are doing is wrong? And by them doing it, they are, in fact, wrong as well?
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

SFOMEX

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:41 pm

Quoting 174thfwff (reply 31):
Isn't this just saying that what they are doing is wrong? And by them doing it, they are, in fact, wrong as well?

Yes indeed. The key words are "doing it." If a homosexual person doesn't have gay sex, he or she is blameless in the eyes of God and the Church. Once again, you could either agree or disagree with this, but I just want to make clear that the Church doesn't condemn homosexuals per se. But even for those who engage in gay sex, reconciliation and redemption are always available, just like for any other sinner.

BTW, I'm quite aware about how difficult is to understand this moral position of the Church. It's not "popular," but it's part of what it's called the "Treasure of Faith," our core beliefs for two thousand years. No matter how unpopular, the Church can't change them.

KyleLosAngeles

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:51 pm

I think the Pope and the Catholic Church need to take a much-needed break from expressing views on anything to do with human sexuality.

They have more problems on their hands than they can fix in the next several decades.

Given the current number of scandals, I would not take advice from the Pope, Cardinals, Bishops or Priests on anything to do with marriage, sex or love.

Some people are really invested in preserving past traditions and views. But when current and emerging problems are going unsolved ... past tradition means nothing.
Happy 2006

jake056

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:58 pm

I'm waiting to see how the church comments on civil unions. They aren't going to give on marriage, but I think there is maneuver room on the issue on civil unions.

As a roman catholic I don't care what it is called, so long as I can get all the benefits (and detriments!!!!) of some sort of legal recognition.

Falcon84

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:02 pm

While I, like Falcon84, disagree with the Holy Father on this one, I do have a certain degree of admiration for the church's unwillingness to compromise on their tenets and beliefs just because they don't happen to be popular

Agreed, EA CO AS. Many people believe morality and what is right and wrong can change over time. On things like slavery, that is true-slavery used to be accepted, but is seen as morally outrageous now. But on basic precepts, many believe morality never changes. Such is the case with the Catholic Church vis-a-vis gays. I think The Holy Father takes it too far, but the basic precept remains the same-that homosexuality, in the eyes of God, is a sin, and I happen to think there is something to that.

But, in the end, that's up to God, not man, to decide. As far as I'm concerned, if two people love each other, who is the Pope, or the President of the United States, to tell them they can't celebrate it?

I ask this question: what is God going to punish more: people who love each other, or people who spend all their time hating those who love each other? IN other words, let Him decide, and get government and the church out of this debate.

And those of you who disagree with the Holy Father, that's fine-I do, too on this instance. But to hear some of the hatred in the typing of some of you, is just utterly reprehensible. If you don't like Catholics, or the Catholic Church, or God, or religion, fine, but what goes around comes around, friends.
Work Right, Fly Hard

SonOfACaptain

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:03 pm

I don't complain about a lot of stuff but I do feel that it is my obligation to my religion to defend the Pope. How dare you people criticize my religion's earthly leader. I won't chastise you for disagreeing with him, but I will bring you down for anything that I find offensive against my holy leader. I happen to agree with the Pope, but I will NEVER call a gay an "evil fascist", or denounce his beliefs.

You have to remember that the Catholic Church does not believe in homosexual acts. It has always been one of the fundamentals that God created men and women for each other. How can you expect the Pope to say otherwise.

Quoting Catatonic (reply 4):
(I am, of course, referring to the catholic church's stance on condom use and the consequential spread of HIV, VD's and the rise of abortions).

This wouldn't be a problem if people used sex for the way God created it to be used.

Remember...God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve...(joke, don't take anything offensive)

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

PacificWestern

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:13 pm

Quoting SonOfACaptain (reply 36):
This wouldn't be a problem if people used sex for the way God created it to be used.

Well, MY imaginary friend KNOWS you've got problems!

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Marriage has always been a religious union between a man and a women. The Catholic church has deep seeded traditions and this tradition will remain rightfully so.

Go forth and propagate. You can't do that in a same sex union.

Catholics around the world should speak out against the degregation of this blessed sacrament.

If people want civil unions let them have it but no marriage. Sorry. You can't change the traditions or the rules just to placate your new found freedoms to do what ever you want and damn the rest of us. This is my opinion and in no way should it be taken as being offensive. If you feel it is you have to deal with it on your own terms.
787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

lehpron

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:36 pm

Quoting Flybyguy (reply 22):
Liberalism is TAUGHT as well as conservatism. Please keep that in mind

I believe that most people do not know what liberalism means...even those that claim to be, which is pretty sad. Modern liberality is flawed, nobody thinks things straight through, they're just rebeling. But yes this type of thinking must be taught it is not natural. Modern conservatism is natural, it does not have to be taught since a majority of it is fear of change. However, we are taught as children to believe what our parents believe through coercion (part of upbringing) and if they were raised conservative, then the children will as well -- being taught. However, if the conservatism is too extreme relative to the environment (i.e. whatever the child experiences outside family) the child will rebel and look for another authority to follow.

The latter is key as to why I have gradually not bought into the idea of modern liberalism. Most people are followers, not leaders. Thesedays everything politically and religiously is relatively to extreme so we will have a large number of people who will rebel, most of which simply follow another authority, namely someone else that has rebeled and appears remotely inspiring. I guess I do not like the idea of following though I catch myself.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

diamond

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:42 pm

Please take this in the kind spirit in which it was intended:

I have never heard a bigger load of flatulence in my life. Somehow the mention of the Pope has led you to think you are qualified to pontificate to all of us on behalf of the church.

Quoting 787 (reply 38):
You can't change the traditions or the rules just to placate your new found freedoms to do what ever you want and damn the rest of us.

The 'freedoms' you refer to are not new found. The idea that all people are created equally and guaranteed equal protection under the law, is not some new fad that was whipped up at UCLA last summer.

And the idea that equal rights for all people somehow "damms the rest of you" is beyond far-fetched. It is just an example of how you and others default to a VICTIM role to make it appear that you are being persecuted by something that isn't there.

You can't talk about the 'sanctity' of marriage being threatened by people who want to EMBRACE it without sounding ridiculous. I do not hear you proposing a legal prevention of all divorces. I do not hear you proposing a law that would make adultery a civil crime, punishable by imprisonment. Don't you suppose those two issues alone are having just a little impact on the sanctity of your "blessed sacrament"?

Quoting 787 (reply 38):
This is my opinion and in no way should it be taken as being offensive.

Nice try, guy. But you can't come across like the church's appointed spokesperson, complete with judgments and damnation and expect it not to be offensive.

Quoting 787 (reply 38):
If you feel it is you have to deal with it on your own terms.

Consider this an invitation to do the same.

If you want to express an opinion, fine. But don't dress it up like you have received an official memo from the Pope himself, and you're just passing along "THE RULES" that we must all follow, just because you want us to.

Just remember that you are not standing one inch closer to God than I am.
Blank.

LH423

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:45 pm

Quoting SonOfACaptain (reply 36):
I happen to agree with the Pope, but I will NEVER call a gay an "evil fascist", or denounce his beliefs.

But...it's okay if he calls my life and beliefs "evil"? Sorry, I'm gonna call a spade a spade. The Catholic Church is whacked! How many centuries did it take for the Catholic Chuch to admit that Galileo and Copernicus were right? 6? 7?

I wouldn't have a problem with the Catholic Church if it weren't so pathetically out of step with the rest of the world.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

jaysit

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:08 pm

Go forth and propagate. You can't do that in a same sex union.

So whats your point?

You can go forth and propagate in the absence of traditional marriage which the Pope is upholding. Its done all the time. The central role of propagation to the institution of marriage has been completely eroded, as marriage - at least in the West - is seen as an emotional bonding between 2 individuals, and not as some legal approval to go forth and propagate.

Now, I don't expect the Pope to deviate from the precepts of nearly 2000 years of Catholicism, but I do expect him to hold his tongue and agree to disagree in a respectful and decent manner that one would expect of him. His crude comments have sadly reduced him to the pint-sized caricature of boorish American televangelists.

OYRJA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:12 pm

One stupid question......

Is the Pope married????

jaysit

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:21 pm

No.
The Pope is a single male of indeterminate sexuality.

aerorobnz

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:22 pm

it wouldn't surprise me if the Pope was a closet gay himself. A lot of priests are, that's why they choose celebate lives. And they are the ones leading your churches.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

jaysit

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:42 pm

For the Catholics on A.net: Do you think that the next Pope may come from the African continent? If so, do you think he will be welcome in Italy? In Europe? And, do you think his public comments on societal issues (gay marriage, ordination of women, birth control, etc.) will be more or less pronounced?

KyleLosAngeles

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:47 pm

Do you think that the next Pope may come from the African continent?

- It's always possible, but I think the next Pope will be European.

If so, do you think he will be welcome in Italy?

- If African, yes ... but after a transition time. (An African or Asian Pope would ultimately be far more welcome than an American)

In Europe?

- Same as above.

And, do you think his public comments on societal issues (gay marriage, ordination of women, birth control, etc.) will be more or less pronounced?

- Yes - but I think those views will not be as harsh. They will be of a healing nature for the church.
Happy 2006

LH423

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:00 pm

The French magazine Paris Match did an article about the strong possibilty of a Latin/South American pope. Would make sense if that would happen.

LH423

MxCtrlr

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:15 pm

I think many people here are mixing two different subjects into one. The issue at hand for the purposes of this thread, are the comments of the leader of the Catholic Church (and, by extension, the views of most mainstream church leaders), on the subject of same-sex marriages. For the purposes of this thread, same-sex marriage and same-sex unions are NOT one and the same.

What I think the Holy Father is expressing here, is the Catholic church's position on marriage as a sacrament and religious institution (remember, many people get married in church because of a religious belief system) and NOT a public marriage (in a courthouse, for example). To my understanding, the church does not religiously recognize ANY marriage that takes place outside of the church, so His Holiness' condemnation of same-sex marriages is not any big news flash.

Now, to the point of topic, I, along with EA CO AS and Falcon84, do not agree with many of the policies and doctrines of the Catholic Church (even though my first marriage was in the Church) and I do not agree with this position either HOWEVER, I do respect the church for taking a solid stance on a position that is unpopular. By not bending their doctrine with the will of the wind, they show fortitude that is admirable, even though not popular.

I increasingly find myself being drawn further and further away from ANY organized religion, choosing instead to worship my God in my own way, through example, tolerance, understanding and love. Do I succeed? Hell, no! Most times, I fail miserably but I get back up and try again.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(