SWA TPA
Topic Author

Can You Change A Tattoo?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:05 am

Question....

I have a tattoo of a dragon (green and yellow) clutching a B-52 (head on view) on my outside ankle. Weeeeelllll a few years have passed since I got this (it was originally a B-52 nose art from a plane I was very sentimental about) and I would like something more ummmmm, feminine. Since I cant remove it I was wondering if anybody knows how they go about creating something else out of it. Could they for instance give me a fairy or butterfly or something???? Does it have to be in the same color family? Does this cost a lot more since it is "corrective"? This tat is about 4 inches wide by 2 inches high. Even better, could they fill it in all flesh color and cover it up?

Luv,
SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

174thfwff

RE: Can You Change A Tattoo?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:15 am

There are pretty much two options...

A) Laser removal. Very expensive and you need to go many times.

B) You can get something to tattoo over it, but it depends what the original design is, how dark.

The only way you can find out if it will be a decent cover tattoo is go talk to a reputable tattoo artist. It will cost the same as getting a tattoo as they are really only giving you another tattoo.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

emiratesa345

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:45 am

Moral of the story...

Don't decorate your body with ugly and permanent tattoos. No, they don't look good and they look gross when you're old.

Goodluck with whatever you do. I would advise the laser removal.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

A332

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:50 am

Well, laser removal is not in everyone's budget... it's very expensive and it's very difficult to get some of the colors out from under the skin. You will need to do repeat visits and it will leave scarring as well...

Covering it up with another piece might a good option... try visiting a local parlor and seeing if any artists can come up with something that you would enjoy having on your body permanently.. once the tattoos are big and dark colored, it's hard to cover em up again.

Nothing wrong with tattoos either... I have several and I enjoy them all now today as I did when I was younger when I got em all...  Smile

When you're old.. who cares.. no one's checkin' ya out any more anyway  Big grin
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

CORULEZ05

Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:07 pm

You can change a tattoo BUT 1. IT HURTS and 2. it is expensive (laser treatments)...so I agree with Emirates..DON'T GET TATTOOS. I can't imagine choosing something that I want on my body for the rest of my life...I change my mind too much...and I would get bored very quickly....so no tats for me.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:21 pm

Use Temp Tattoos.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

willo

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:26 pm

Can You Change A Tattoo?

...the Edinburgh Tattoo was recently moved to Sydney  Nuts

aerorobnz

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:42 pm

You can change, I have several friends that changed their tattoos over time. It can't be too radical a change, and it won't necessarily look that great but it can be done. I like certain tattoos, I can't decide which to get done though.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

KROC

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:47 pm

Quoting EmiratesA345 (reply 2):
Moral of the story...

Don't decorate your body with ugly and permanent tattoos. No, they don't look good and they look gross when you're old.

Spare us your personal opinion that does not apply to everyone. You don't like them...fine, but don't give those of us that have them a lecture.

Quoting CORULEZ05 (reply 4):
You can change a tattoo BUT 1. IT HURTS

If you get a tattoo initially it hurts too. Go figure.  Insane

SWA-If you find a reputable place with a good artist, they will be able to help you out. They will look at it, and come up with ideas on what you can do. You should be asking people who tattoo for a living, not people like EmiratesA345 who doesn't get much tattoo action working the Jr. Misses Dept. at K-Mart. Besides, your tattoo sounds cool as it is now. A girlie with a unique tattoo is a good thing even if you don;t think it is feminine. Not like its on your upper arm or plastered in the middle of your back.  Big grin Plus like you said, it means something to you, and thats what tattoos should do.

Usairwys757

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:46 pm

I have a tatoo across my upperback area in between the shoulders. Man did that sh!t ever hurt. But I've had it for 2 years and haven't regretted getting it, so yeah Emirates, spare us all dude.
Inactive.....

PilotJmartin

Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:21 am

I think I am going to get one this year, a pair of Pilot Wings on my shoulder.

SlamClick

Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting SWA TPA (reply 0):
I have a tattoo of a dragon (green and yellow) clutching a B-52 (head on view) on my outside ankle. Weeeeelllll a few years have passed since I got this (it was originally a B-52 nose art from a plane I was very sentimental about) and I would like something more ummmmm, feminine.

Hey lady! What could be more feminine than that?

I'ts not like it's a fighter!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

emiratesa345

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:17 am

I was simply offering my opinion... That is afterall what the message board is for. By the way.. Its Miss Teen Department not Jr. Misses.

I still say get it removed.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Sabena332

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:22 am

Quoting 174thfwff (reply 1):
A) Laser removal. Very expensive and you need to go many times.

You are correct. When I did my civil service in a hospital, I had to write and send the bills for the people who had their tatoos removed by laser, the invoice amount was always very high!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

NorskMan

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:39 am

I got my first tattoo when i was 15, on my chest....the other 4 i got a couple years later, don't regret any of them. My body, i do with it what i please.  Smile
yeah i know

jared

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:51 am

Some artists also specialize in cover-ups. Most artists do a lot of their work in a couple different styles - stuff they actually WANT to do. Basically, if you want a traditional japanese style tattoo, go to someone whose portfolio showcases this style. Do not go to someone who mostly works on old school art and get a japanese tattoo. The same can be said for getting a cover-up. You want to go to someone who has done a lot of them and will WANT to tattoo you. There is nothing tattoo artists like more than being excited about tattooing in an area they are passionate about.

CORULEZ05

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:45 pm

VERY true Jared........gotta make sure you are careful and choose the right person to go to......just like when having plastic surgery, gotta get references and check out the surgeon......nothing worse than a bad tattoo or nose job you know.....hehe....btw, I love that name "jared" very sexy...reminds me of an ex by that name.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!