UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Barebone PC (ex : Shuttle) Advice Needed

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:11 pm

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of reorganising all of my computer equipment.
It appears that I could have the same functions of my current MIDI tower in a small barebones package :

I am however wondering about the noise/heat dissipation of having 2 hard drives, 2 CD/DVD drives, 1 P4 3.0GHz and 1 Nvidia GeForce MX440 in the same really small case.

Does anyone own such an occurrence and would you recommend it ?

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Joge

RE: Barebone PC (ex : Shuttle) Advice Needed

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:30 pm

First of all, I doubt you can fit all those in the case. You may be able to install one of the two hard drives where the floppy drive is supposed to come (so both HDD will fit in), but you'll only have space for one CD/DVD drive. Of course, Intel chips don't get as hot as AMDs, so that may be just making possible to use the PC stable, even on large workload.

Does the case have any fans?

-Joge
Bula!

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:56 pm

Hey Joge  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

There are some barebones avilable with 2 3.5 bays  Smile
You may be right though, only one SATA HDD would fit  Sad
There is one fan in the back and the usual fans on CPU/motherboard/graphics card.

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

PPGMD

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:03 pm

Quoting Joge (reply 1):
Of course, Intel chips don't get as hot as AMDs,

Actually it's the other way around these days. Right now the Athlon 64 is cooler than the Pentium 4. Though that may change when the new 6 series comes out.
At worst, you screw up and die.

RayChuang

Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:39 am

Actually, the Shuttle small-case systems can be quite good provided you don't use the fastest CPU's, which can cause heat dissipation problems. A Pentium 4 3.0-3.2 GHz CPU, 1 GB of RAM, and mid-high range graphics card based on the nVidia GeForce FX 5700 or ATI Radeon 95xx series chips works well in these types of systems. Also, you might want to get the current versions Windows XP or the very latest versions of commercial Linux distributions to take full advantage of this type of system.  Smile