ConcordeLoss
Topic Author

Who And How Much Do You Tip In Your Country?

Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:40 am

What is the norm, and how much do you tip different service providers in your country? Drivers, waiters, barbers, etc.

Thank you.
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer

aerorobnz

RE: Who And How Much Do You Tip In Your Country?

Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:56 am

You do not tip in NZ. A meal at a restaurant has all costs already included and people are on a reasonable hourly wage so don't need to be tipped to make a living.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NZ747

Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:04 am

If the service was perfect, then I may give them up to $5. Although most of the tipping money just goes to the owner anyway at some places.

British767

Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:13 am

There is no norm here. There is not normally anywhere on the reciept to counter for Gratuity. Sometimes you can just leave some money on the table when you leave...if you want to, but it is not expected of you.

USAFHummer

Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:56 am

15% at a restaurant is pretty much standard in the US...less for bad service, more for good service can also be used as a rule of thumb...if you come to a restaurant in a big group of more than 8, then you usually are automatically charged 18% for a tip...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:30 am

15% is customary, if the service warrants.

I follow this rule:

My first time in a restaurant, club, etc, if the service is adequate, then 15% is the rule. If the service sucks, then I leave 10 cents. When asked, I say the level of service was worth a dime, and that's what I give. If you leave nothing, then it's assumed you forgot.

When I visit places where I'm a regular, I tip from 20-25% easily. Sometimes more. The extra tip is always less than the cost of the 2 or 3 or 4 free drinks, or appetizers I have already recieved . . . I have three places in Anchorage that I'm considered a regular.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

COIAHLGW

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:18 am

The rules on tipping here in the United Stated is complicated! Just look at this link for instance - http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

Ready4Pushback

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:30 am

I find the tipping situation in the States a bit strange. I love going there, by the way, and I think that the service you recieve generally benefits from the culture of tipping.

I'm not entirely sure that's it's really good for the people though. I was talking to this guy in The Cheesecake Factory in Hawaii (Waikiki) a few weeks ago, and was asking him why they didn't have them outside the US. He was saying that it was because no one tips as much as the Americans, and The Cheesecake Factory gives really crap salaries, and expects their employees to make it up with tips. Outside of the US, they would be expected to pay their employees real salaries! A couple of years earlier I was in a TGI Friday's in Florida, and I saw a sign (an official sign), saying just that; that they pay really bad salaries, and therefore please tip.

It's a shame that something that was there to to say "thank you" for good service is being exploited by companies in that way.

When in Britain, I tip at restaurants and in taxis and that's about it, and only if I think it's appropriate. IMO, Britain suffers from generally poor service nowadays.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:11 pm

Tipping or service charges are usually included in the bill for resturants outside the USA. In part this is to make sure that the taxes are paid. In the USA, to make sure Social Security Taxes are paid, often a restuant will estimate 8% over the revenue/sales of a resturant is to be paid for SS taxes.
In some countries, like Austarlia or NZ or in pubs in the UK, tipping is almost considered an insult, but still I would leave some loose change on the bar. Even where a 15% service is on a resturant bill, I still leave some leftover change on the table if the service was above average. In the USA, at a resturant, I normally tip if alone or with 1-2 others and where not already added to a bill, more than 15%, but not more than 20%. Even outside the USA, there can be exceptions and local rules as to tipping, so one should check tourism websites or books.

aerorobnz

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (reply 8):
In some countries, like Austarlia or NZ or in pubs in the UK, tipping is almost considered an insult,

Yes I quite agree, to us it's like saying we don't earn enough of a wage to get by without being tipped . Subservient culture we ain't, bloody minded and independent we are... Also in the UK they buy you drinks instead if you're a barman. It is slightly more palatable to be offered a drink than cash. That said I took any tips if I was offered them when I worked there.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

SLC1

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:56 pm

Quoting Ready4Pushback (reply 7):
I find the tipping situation in the States a bit strange. I love going there, by the way, and I think that the service you recieve generally benefits from the culture of tipping.

I disagree, I tip amply nearly all the time (20% if service is decent, plus skycaps, hairdressers, etc.), but I think a problem is that it has become to be accepted that you automatically deserve 15% from a person.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

CORULEZ05

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:01 pm

well if we are talking about a restaurant.....if I get good service, then I will leave $20-50.....if I get EXCELLENT service....ie everything I ask for is done and the waiter/waitress is funny (makes some jokes) AND if they are cute.......$100. I don't tip my barber....that would be an offense and he already gets paid enough.......as for drivers, I rarely use our driver and when I do well since he works for us....no tipping.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

keno

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:19 pm

I guess tipping is more of an American thing, not very common in Malaysia. In most restaurants or hotels, 5% service tax is automatically added. Waiters do not depend on tips. I guess the only person who deserves to be tipped is the porter who helps to carry luggages to your room. Tipping a taxi driver is unheard of, unless you don't have the right change.

ConcordeLoss
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:21 pm

How much do you tip taxi drivers?

I usually do $3-5.
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer

UAL747

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:32 pm

In the US 15% is the standard, although I usually tip 20%. Now, if you want to get in good with a club/bar/etc., and you want them to know your name and greet you as Mr./Mrs. X, I usually drop an enormous tip every once in a while. It guarantees you better/priority service each time you go in because they will think, "maybe if I do this they will tip me really well again." It's like baiting a shark, put a little blood out they come around, feed them a big meal once, and they will stay around. But, you have to feed them a good meal every once in a while so they don't leave...the rest of the time, a little blood will do.

Make sense?

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

NWAFA

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:40 pm

For me its always a minimum of 20%. If the service was totally outstanding then 25%. The 15% rule was for the 90's, most people now days do 20%.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

airxliban

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:47 pm

To be honest, I almost feel as though tipping is required in the US and it creates a culture of entitlement and as a result, the service level drops!

That being said, I am under the impression that most servers at restaurants are not paid much more than minimum wage, because of tips.

A popular method of doing it here in LA is to double tax, which results in a 16.5% tip in Los Angeles county and 14.5% tip in Ventura County.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

PilotJmartin

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:47 pm

I like the EURO way, I think the tip is included. In Canada its about 10 to 15%. I usualy tip around 15%

QANTASforever

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:36 pm

In some countries, like Austarlia or NZ or in pubs in the UK, tipping is almost considered an insult,

lol not the case for Austarlia in my experience. Tipping is becoming quite common - although we are not quite at the stage yet where every employee in a 10ft radius gets a tip. We usually tip Pizza delivery guys and at restaurants. Tipping in hotels is extremely rare though it does happen. And we don't tip taxi drivers.

I think this tipping thing is mainly so rare in Australia because minimum wage or the average wage of a waiter actually isn't that bad - so why tip someone gettin $20 an hour?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

bill142

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Usually only tip the pizza delivery boy as I've been in his position and I know that those people who wait for you to give them five cents are the most annoying. I also usually tip the taxi driver when I've had a night out on the town and can't be bothered waiting for him to give me the change.

karan69

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Its all on the mood in this case, if i feel generous, its a good tip otherwise no tip at all--usually its around 8-10% of the bill

ly7e7

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:49 pm

12-15% to bartenders ,waiters and delivery boys
none to cabbies.
In other things there are no rules, you may leave some and you may not, it totally depends on you. For example there is no custom of tipping the hairdressers, yet some people (including me) do.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

ZKSUJ

Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:24 pm

No tipping here, I once got a 20 cent tip, very happy. Made my day  Big grin

Fiatstilojtd

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 pm

In Austria it is not necessary to tip, anyway you can tip if you want - it is no offense....  Big grin.

In Hungary you should give a tip despite the fact that you pay more than the Hungarian citizens when you talk in a foreign language....because the people don't earn much money.....

HAWK21M

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:28 pm

Depends on the Cash I have on hand,mostly 10-15%.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Pe@rson

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:18 pm

Tipped £2.50 in Eastern Origin, a lovely Chinese restaurant, last night.  Laugh out loud
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

NumberTwelve

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:19 pm

Eih, Pe@rson, this tip was just 2 FR tickets (+taxes)  Wink/being sarcastic
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

Pe@rson

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting NumberTwelve (reply 31):
Pe@rson, this tip was just 2 FR tickets (+taxes)

What do you think I am? Generous?  Wink/being sarcastic
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

NumberTwelve

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:23 pm

Generous - a FR customer? not really  Wink/being sarcastic
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

Pe@rson

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:24 pm

Quoting NumberTwelve (reply 33):
Generous - a FR customer?

That's why I have a sufficient load of money in my bank.  Laugh out loud

garnetpalmetto

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:11 am

I tip bartenders 15% of my check, waitstaff at restaurants have sliding scales - excellent service sees 25%, good service gets 20%, average service gets 15%, and if you absolutely are terrible, I'll leave nothing. I've left no tip maybe twice in my life. Once in NYC at the Stage Deli, when it was very obvious that my food was ready, but that the server was choosing to ignore my plate and serve others ahead of me such that when I got my food it was ice cold. The second instance was at a TGI Friday's when the server just absolutely dropped the ball - not only was he rude, it was obvious he had partaken in a certain "herbal substance" prior to his shift. He forgot our order, brought the wrong food to the table - just a nightmare in general. Otherwise, I'm fairly easy on servers in restaurants and am pretty easy to get along with.

I also tip the lady who cuts my hair around $5.00, sometimes more around Christmas - I've gone to the same woman for about 4-5 years now, so she's not too fussy about how much I tip her in general. Cabbies get $3-$5. Those are usually the only people whom I come into contact with that I tip. And in general, if I'm at a coffeeshop or some place with a tip jar, I'll usually drop $1.00 or so into it.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

SFOMEX

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:21 am

In Mexico we tip the supermarket guys who help you putting your groceries in a bag. We do it because they are children (12-16 y. old) who don't get paid by the supermarket, their only income are the tips.

Well, when I moved to California to study in a local university I had an embarrassing experience in a supermarket. It was my first week an I went on my own to a Safeway. Once I paid for my groceries I tried to tip the young guy who put my stuff in a couple of bags. He just stared me and told me that if I wanted to donate money, to put in the cash box of the American Cancer Society.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

slider

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:58 am

I just got into an argument with someone about this....their assertion was that they shouldn't tip 15% based on the full amount, since that usually includes alcoholic beverages, which can be expensive and skew the total.

One thing that is lost on this guy I argued with is that, at least in the States, the server/waiter/waitress has to tip out their bartender, bussers and wait staff, etc....so they don't clear everything that they make.

My big dilemma is when I go to a Japanese restaurant...

The waitstaff at our local favorite place is horrible, but they have great hibachi cooks that interact with people, have a demonstrable skill, interact with the kids, etc. Also, the sushi is excellent....and since the "servers" are nothing more than glorified busboys, I have a hard time discerning what % or $$ amount gets thrown to the sushi chef. I've taken to tipping them separately altogether at the sushi bar on the way out.

Can anyone shed some insight into this one? Thanks...

Banco

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:15 am

In some countries, like Austarlia or NZ or in pubs in the UK, tipping is almost considered an insult, but still I would leave some loose change on the bar.

Why would you do that? There's no tipping culture in pubs, so why do it?  Confused To be honest, having worked in pubs in the past, if someone leaves money on the bar, it's just assumed they've left it behind by mistake and it'll get put in a charity box. It's unlikely to go to the bar staff because they won't be expecting it and won't know why you've done it - unless you explain it to them in which case they'll be horribly embarassed..

Incidentally, the reverse of this case is why the British are often considered mean in the US. Tipping in a bar is anaethema to most Britons because it re-enforces the fact that bar staff are serving you, and the whole point about drink-buying is to avoid facing that reality. So, chances are a Briton wil be deeply reluctant to tip the bar staff but would have no problem buying them drinks.

There isn't the tipping culture to anything like the same degree. In restaurants it's likely to be about 10% if the service is good so naturally a 10% tip seems very mean in America.

The British tend to hate the whole tipping concept, not understanding how much they ought to give makes them extremely uncomfortable. They'd far rather pay more and not have to do it, which is why tipping-free cruises have become rather popular.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

bongo

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am

Usual in Colombia is 10%. It is automatically included in the bill, but there's always a side note that says that you are not obligated to give the 10%, if you don't want you simply not pay that extra 10%, and if you want you can give more.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

wietse

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:04 am

I always round the figure with a cabbie, so if the fare is 22,7 euros, I give him 25.

I also always tip bouncers at the clubs if I had a safe and good evening. They deserve a reward for keeping the scum outside.

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

caribb

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:53 am

In Canada it's roughly 10% on the total before tax or 15% of the total after tax. So it you leave cash leave 10% on the pre tax total, if you pay with a credit card leave 15% on the pretax total. Of course if the service was stellar or terrible that varies.

"Tip" by the way supposedly means "To Insure Promptness" so if your service is fast you should tip if it is slow you should not.. or at least that's how it started out. Today waiters/waitresses just expect it no matter how much effort they put into it and owners pay most of them cheap wages anyways so no one really is happy about it. I agree, the European way is better for everyone except those people working in high end bars and restaurants where they can make enormous tips.

[Edited 2005-03-03 19:01:58]

TACAA320

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:01 am

In Costa Rica is 10% service tax [called "tip"]. Some people, since it is included in your bill, give an Xtra 5% is the service was good. Otherwise nothing.

In general, you don't give tips to cabs.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

bananaboy

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting British767 (reply 3):
There is no norm here. There is not normally anywhere on the receipt to counter for Gratuity. Sometimes you can just leave some money on the table when you leave...if you want to, but it is not expected of you.

I kinda disagree. I have always thought the norm in restaurants to be 10% for good service and more for excellent.

Having said that, I would have no issue whatsoever leaving 0% tip in any country if the service was poor. No way am I going to pay a crap waiter for serving me badly.

Taxis I usually round up to a max of about 10% and tip pizza delivery guys a couple of pounds.

In bars, I don't tip. Just isn't done.

Hairdresser - top normally works out to about 15%

Quite happy to blend into the American way of doing things when in the US. Makes me mad that many waiters etc dread getting the Brits as they are renowned to be poor tippers.

Quoting SLC1 (reply 10):
but I think a problem is that it has become to be accepted that you automatically deserve 15% from a person.

Precisely. No one deserves a tip... needs to be earned.

Mark

PS Have any of the Brits tipped their holiday reps? I used to make loads of money off of the old dears when I was working overseas. I never did when I went on package holidays, though would consider it, especially given what they get paid.
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing