Orion737
Topic Author

Smacking Children, Should It Be Banned?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:18 am

I am a firm believer in smacking children. I was smacked as a child when I did wrong ad am certainly none the worse for it today. I think provided a smack is done by a loving parent or relative, it is a good discipline tool.

I see far too many greedy, spoilt, manipulative children these days and what they are short of is a darn good hiding. I know it is an old-fashioned view these days but I firmly believe it.

I have smacked my nephew on one occasion when he ran out into the road. I wouldnt hesitate to smack any child of my own either.

DIJKKIJK

RE: Smacking Children, Should It Be Banned?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:25 am

Absolutely right, spank em, the brats!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

flybyguy

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:30 am

Quoting Orion737 (reply 0):
I see far too many greedy, spoilt, manipulative children these days

Very true. Small children nowadays get 'time-outs' and 'groundings'. Maybe due to the fact that we have too many lawyers now that even children can sue their parents for pain an suffering. Maybe modern parents are either afraid of using corporal punishment to discipline their children or they are just so busy they simply raise their children with money.

I know a few people at my university who are in the second category. All of them smoke, drive expensive cars and are mostly bratty people with awful, abrasive personalities.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:44 am

Orion737,

You are absolutely right. Children, it seems, have way too many "rights" these day. If i was a little brat when I was a kid I got a good hiding. Did me no harm at all. I sure didn't do whatever it was again!!. Nowadays, kids get away with murder! Literally, in my neck of the woods... SE London. Discipline seems to have flown out the window, and it feels like most kids act like little bastards because they know they will get away with it.

I know I sound like an old fart, but we really need to get society back on track with a bit of good old fashioned discipline and bloody good smack when then little shits are misbehaving.

My 2 p.

Oz

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:58 am

You know, it's been proven time and time again that corporal punishment doesn't work and puts a barrier between the punisher and punishee, let alone the fact that it's not right to inflict physical punishment on kids. I was never spanked as a child, or smacked, and I turned out just fine.

Kids who are "getting away with murder" I can guarantee you are getting less than adequate parenting/attention/love, that beatings don't make up for.

Where's the line to be drawn from an "innocent" smack to abuse.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

solnabo

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:02 am

It´s a crime here to spank youre children and I think its good!! NO children deserves to be spanked/hit or shaken (shaken baby syndrome)

Micke/SE  Angry
Airbus SAS - Love them both

martinairyyz

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:03 am

Oh PLEASE SLC1, you sound like those "I wanna give mah kid all he wawnts!" parent..... they need limits and if no other way does it (shouting dosn't do it, that's for sure) give them a smack! I feel sorry for the kids with no-punish parents.... they're gonna turn out spoiled and rotten and nastly like many kids these days  Laugh out loud
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

777236ER

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:07 am

You are absolutely right. Children, it seems, have way too many "rights" these day. If i was a little brat when I was a kid I got a good hiding.

Children have too many 'rights'?! What pathetic nonsense is this?

All that assault has not only left you with a blood thirsty attitude towards children, but also appalling grammar. Perhaps if your parents bothered to teach you some basic English rather than beat you...?

Discipline does NOT go as far as hitting a child.
Your bone's got a little machine

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting MartinairYYZ (reply 6):
they need limits

Yes they do, but I can guarantee you that if you can't limit your children without smacking them around, you ain't gonna be doing it with smacking them around IMHO.

And, btw... I'm not a parent, I'm a college student, so no, I'm not a professional on the matter, but I think it's just common sense.

If you have proper (non-violent) discipline to begin with, there won't even be a condition where violent discipline is even a possibility.

[Edited 2005-02-27 19:10:38]
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

ShyFlyer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting Flybyguy (reply 2):
Very true. Small children nowadays get 'time-outs' and 'groundings'.

My cousin and his wife do this with their children. Those kids are well adjusted, respectful, and are excelling in school.

Quoting SLC1 (reply 4):
You know, it's been proven time and time again that corporal punishment doesn't work and puts a barrier between the punisher and punishee,....

I was spanked as a child. However, my parents never went overboard. No belts, tree limbs, baseball bats, automatic weapons fire, none of that. Just the minimum to get my attention and realize that my parents meant business. To this day I am still close to my parents, I trust them completely.

Quoting SLC1 (reply 4):
Where's the line to be drawn from an "innocent" smack to abuse.

My opinion: A child should never be spanked to the point were bruises form. The child should never be spanked in front of an audience (that humiliating for the child). Parents should use only their hands (no belts, that's torture).

Having said all this, spanking is not the "silver bullet" to raising well adjusted, law abiding children. The key lies in establishing age appropriate rules for behavior and enforcing those rules fairly and in a consistent manner.
I lift things up and put them down.

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:12 am

Quoting MartinairYYZ (reply 6):
they're gonna turn out spoiled and rotten and nastly like many kids these days

I'm not so pessimistic about children, and anyway---as if they didn't exist 20, 50, and 100 years ago.

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (reply 9):
I was spanked as a child. However, my parents never went overboard. No belts, tree limbs, baseball bats, automatic weapons fire, none of that. Just the minimum to get my attention and realize that my parents meant business. To this day I am still close to my parents, I trust them completely.

That's very good, all I'm saying is that corporal punishment does nothing to create that punishment, and statistically it can create a distance in the relationship - whether temporary or permanent.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:20 am

777236ER,

I assure you my friend, I was NEVER assaulted. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my grammar. And I certainly do not have a blood thirsty attitude towards anyone.

When I was a child, which really wasn't all that long ago, the majority of parents disciplined children by smacking. However, this was not necessarily the first resort, but usually the last.

You really only need to look at the difference in behaviour of children these days to see that discipline is severely lacking. Smacking is only 1 form of discipline. But perhaps if it, or indeed, any other discipline was used more regularly, then maybe we might live in a society where children were a bit better behaved.

These children will also grow up with better prospects, if they are taught at a young age how to behave acceptably.

aloges

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:23 am

Quoting DIJKKIJK (reply 1):
Absolutely right, spank em, the brats!

not quite related to smoking, but:

You'll regret every time you hit a child a thousand times.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:42 am

An occasional smack on the butt is an instant attention getter.

I don't condone beating kids, and that "Time-out" crap is exactly that. So what, time out . . . have to sit for a few minutes, big flippin deal.

A quick, moderate smack on the ass is necessary.

Nothing will take the place of parental attention, caring, guidance however.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

pilot kaz

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:51 am

I think at a young age no.. But as a child grows older and starts to show there attitude it depends....

If they like to make trouble.. Cause un-happiness to another person then yes.. But Not something stupid like pinning them up to a wall and smacking them around.

I also don't agree with adults thinking they have the right to constantly Hit children just because they are not in agreence with them. At an older age of 15 teenager seem to have more of an opinion on things and should be entitled to it. Its all part of growing up.

I also don't agree that parents with small tempers and violence shouldn't be allowed custody of a child. Violence encourages them to be violent themselves.

Just remember Everyone is entitled to there own opinion especially on this topic.
-

SlamClick

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:53 am

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to:
"State interference in parenting - should it be banned?"

I'm sorry but I am of vastly better character than the city, county, state or Federal governments where I reside and therefore the better judge of how a child should be raised. I would spirit a child out of the country before I'd yield control to a bunch of criminal politicians. You should feel the same way.

I am somewhat handicapped by having only raised two children to adulthood. That is not a great deal of experience, but it is MORE THAN TWICE as much experience as raising only one child. (With one child - they did it. With two children and both deny it - you have to figure it out. Ten times a day for twenty years.)

If you will not discipline your children, life WILL. And life will discipline them severely and without any love. But by all means, you make the call.

I did not spank my daughter. I had to spank my son. It was dictated by who they were - and not, I believe, by who I made of them. My son overtly and covertly was a handful; my daughter was basically good, but secretive. I never found out the things she did.

My children are adults now, and I have three grandchildren. Though I love her dearly, my daughter is a burden on society and my son is a good citizen. I don't really think it had anything to do with whether or not I found it necessary to spank them. It is just who they are.

My son wrote me a letter a couple of years ago, thanking me for the way I raised him. His letter brought tears to my eyes. My daughter has yet to say thank you for anything.

Quoting SLC1 (reply 4):
You know, it's been proven time and time again that corporal punishment doesn't work and puts a barrier between the punisher and punishee, let alone the fact that it's not right to inflict physical punishment on kids.

Absolute horse dung!
Nothing of the kind has ever been proven!

It might be "suggested" by research. You might believe it. Someone might write a book and go on Oprah based on that claim but "proof" is something else entirely. As I see you are headed toward a bachelor of ARTS degree, go ask one of your friends who is headed for a bachelor of SCIENCE.

Proof requires absolute exclusion of anything that can contaminate the results. Raising children is sociology and it IS NOT an exact science. There are probably more variables than there are stable data in the mixture of influences that make us who we are as adults. It is simply not possible to prove that corporal punishment is anything more than one of the factors - if it is indeed a factor and not just an anecdote.

You believe it because you choose to believe it. It probably goes along with you calling yourself a "liberal" as the FIRST descriptor in your profile.

Hey, no big thing. I can't prove that your views are wrong, but you absolutely cannot claim that anything, anything at all has been "proven" in raising children. Even actual abuse is but one factor. The aforementioned Oprah was sexually abused by relatives as a child. Maybe that is why she is such a failure. Oh, wait! She is one of the world's wealthiest and most admired women. Well, there went that piece of "proof."
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

xpat

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:53 am

"Spare the rod and spoil the child." I think the line between spanking a child and abusing a child is being blurred over here.

I was spanked countless times. I didn't grow up to be a criminal or a serial killer and in fact, I have a very close relationship with my parent.
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

ShyFlyer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (reply 15):
I also don't agree with adults thinking they have the right to constantly Hit children just because they are not in agreence with them. At an older age of 15 teenager seem to have more of an opinion on things and should be entitled to it. Its all part of growing up.

Exactly. The last spanking I received was probably around the age of eight or nine. At that point, my parents used grounding. I remember those more than the spankings. By the time I reached 15, boy did I have opinions!  Innocent However, at that stage in my life, I had learned a bit about appropriate behavior, and my parents were willing to let me make my own mistakes.

At the age of 26, I've realized that my parents really weren't as dumb as I thought they were!

Quoting Xpat (reply 17):
I think the line between spanking a child and abusing a child is being blurred over here.

I would say it's the definition of abuse that is being blurred over here. These days if a parent swats their kids behind, even once, they have the police on their doorstep soon afterward.
I lift things up and put them down.

777236ER

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:09 am

I assure you my friend, I was NEVER assaulted

And a child who can barely talk can make the semantic difference between a smack and an assault? What IS the difference? If you can up and hit me across the legs, you'd be charged and convicted for assault.

And I certainly do not have a blood thirsty attitude towards anyone

Except towards the 'misbehaving little shits' who need a 'bloody good smack.'

You really only need to look at the difference in behaviour of children these days to see that discipline is severely lacking.

Bullshit. Children have always been rebelious. You think because you see some kids smoking and swearing at adults that shows a significant change in juvenile attitude? Rubbish.

These children will also grow up with better prospects, if they are taught at a young age how to behave acceptably.

I was never assaulted, and I'm a perfectly happy member of society with a first class degree and a great job.

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:12 am

jeez, Slamclick, chill

Quoting SlamClick (reply 16):
Nothing of the kind has ever been proven!

OK, it's been VERY WELL suggested by research, and corporal punishment has little if any evidence on its side

"liberal" as the FIRST descriptor in your profile.

actually, there are a lot of other descriptors before that, and I choose to say liberal because there are a lot of conservatives on here, and people might like to know, especially considering that I come from Utah, so I make it clear I'm not a typical Utahn. I'm not a nazi-liberal, (I'm leaning pro-life btw).

The aforementioned Oprah was sexually abused by relatives as a child. Maybe that is why she is such a failure. Oh, wait! She is one of the world's wealthiest and most admired women.

So you're saying that her sexual abuse was good/helped her become wealthy??? A does not necessarily lead to B, just as A' does not necessarily lead to B'. There are factors. Difficulties are imposed, such as abuse, that hinder progress, and can be overcome. That doesn't mean we shouldn't avoid those things.

Edit: Hopefully I'm more coherent now.

[Edited 2005-02-27 20:16:09]

USAFHummer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:23 am

My parents spanked my older brother once, and right away had a bad conscience about it, and never did it again, and when I was born, never did it to me...did I turn out to be a bad child? No, I don't think so. When I start a family in the future, I also will not spank my kids, as I think its plain wrong and unnecessary...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

jfkaua

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:32 am

my parents never hit me, or really punished me. They grounded me once last year and said I couldnt leave the house... so me being the genius I am invited about 15 people over haha that was a good night.. But anyway I think I turned out pretty well..

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:43 am

Are you friggin' kidding me?!

I call for the inverse:
parents should retain the express right to knock the living f^ck out of their kids from time to time.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

daedaeg

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:49 am

Children need that ass tapped when they get out of line. Plain and simple. There is no talking it out with a 5 year old.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (reply 23):
parents should retain the express right to knock the living f^ck out of their kids from time to time.

oh yeah that's really nice

AGC525

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:18 am

As usual people take it to extreme. When I was a kid my mom would give me a good crack and straighten me out. Now if my dad had to do it, it was bad. That taught me good lessons on what is wrong and I knew from there not to do it again.

There is a HUGE difference in smacking your kid and actually abusing him or her.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

SlamClick

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting SLC1 (reply 20):
jeez, Slamclick, chill

Or what? You'll spank me? Send me to my room? Smile
Actually I stay pretty close to isothermal.

Quoting SLC1 (reply 20):
"liberal" as the FIRST descriptor in your profile.

Okay, it was the very first word in "Other" in your profile, I stand more or less corrected. I was not passing any judgement on liberals, or on your being one, I was just pointing out that your attitude toward corporal punishment is one of the bulletpoints that define liberal in contemporary US society. Having read your opinion of spanking children I was not surprised to hear you describe yourself as a liberal. That is all.

Quoting SLC1 (reply 20):
So you're saying that her sexual abuse was good/helped her become wealthy??? A does not necessarily lead to B, just as A' does not necessarily lead to B'. There are factors. Difficulties are imposed, such as abuse, that hinder progress, and can be overcome.

Now that is just plain silly to assume that was my meaning. No, on the contrary I was just illustrating that occurrences even as severe as sexual abuse are environmental background and little more. They can be, as you suggest, overcome. Some are harder than others to overcome, for sure, but in the final analysis, we are mostly what we decide to be when we wake up each morning.

It sounds to me as though we agree that negative experiences in childhood can be overcome. Doesn't that seem to relegate the spanked/not spanked experience to no more importance than, say, read to/not read to or made to eat vegetables/not made to eat vegetables or seen your parents hold hands/not seen your parents hold hands.

If that is the case then it just comes down to personal choices. If spanking a child is abhorrent to you - by all means don't do it. Just don't pass any laws that affect other families.

There are some things I think are just wrong:

• A fifty-pound, seven year old being head of the family because his parents are too morally weak to control him.
  • Hint: It is NOT OKAY for your snot-nosed little twirp to run around in a restaurant! I'll trip the little bastard if he runs past my table and sue you if he bleeds on my clothing.

• Spanking a child when they finally reach the point of annoying you rather than at the instant when they need urgent behavior modification.
  • It is not about the parents, it is about the child's behavior.

• Any "discipline" that can cause physical injury. Hint: That's why little butts are padded.

• Time out as a punishment for setting your little sister on fire.
  • Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

JetService

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:27 am

There's a difference between swatting a kid in the ass and wailing on him. Me thinks you folks are perceiving 'spanking' differently.
    "Shaddap you!"

SWA TPA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:56 am

Ok, I got the crap knocked out of me as a kid if I so much as looked as my parents wrong. Let me just say I was an angel child! I admit my dad went a little far with the belt sometimes. I always got hit on the butt, but, to the point I had the perfect design of the belt bruised on my a** more than once. Believe it or not I am 32 years old and still fear my father! I have discussed this issue with him before and he is very remorsefully that he was so hard on me as a child.

Now I am the parent of a 5 year old and I will tell you that time out and groundings don't work! The only way to get my son's attention sometimes is a good ol' spanking. Granted he gets nothing like I did as a child it still gets his attention and I have a better behaved child. Atleast until he forgets the spanking and decides to try it again  Big grin

Luv,
    SWA TPA
    I believe I can fly.....

57AZ

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:31 am

Corporal punishment is perfectly fine and legal as long as it is not excessive (to the point of physically harming the child). Corporal punishment works on most any child if used reasonably, whereas time outs may or may not work.
    "When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

ryangooner

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:37 am

Quoting Ozvirginuk (reply 3):
    If i was a little brat when I was a kid I got a good hiding.

Quoting Ozvirginuk (reply 12):
    I assure you my friend, I was NEVER assaulted.

Well i assure you that in the eyes of the law you WERE assaulted!!!

Im all for legal chastisement - but there is a line............

Ryan
    ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

sprout5199

Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting JetService (reply 28):
    There's a difference between swatting a kid in the ass and wailing on him. Me thinks you folks are perceiving 'spanking' differently.

I agree. I have spanked my oldest duaghter once. ONE swat, not very hard. She hit her sister much harder than I spanked her. I felt the old saying "this is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you" I think she was more hurt over the look I gave her than the actual smack. Later she came to me and said she was sorry. But I am graced with very well behaving childern(sometimes I see how other childern behave and give both my childern hugs, I am so lucky to be blessed with them)

that being said, if you leave bruises then that is abuse and is wrong.

Dan in Jupiter

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:12 am

I think we've chilled SlamClick  Smile

Quoting SlamClick (reply 27):
    Now that is just plain silly to assume that was my meaning.

I think we were arguing over something trying to prove the same point.
    Hint: It is NOT OKAY for your snot-nosed little twirp to run around in a restaurant! I'll trip the little bastard if he runs past my table and sue you if he bleeds on my clothing.

I secretly want to.

I don't agree with spanking, and I think there should be anti-spanking education when parenting is discussed, but I certainly don't think we should have a law against it until detriment, whether physical or emotional is done to the child.

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:13 am

It is NOT OKAY for your snot-nosed little twirp to run around in a restaurant! I'll trip the little bastard if he runs past my table and sue you if he bleeds on my clothing.

Here! Here! Absolutely!

Had a similar incident on an AS flight LAX-ANC about ten years ago. Little bastard was running in aisles, playing with the call button, playing with the lgiht switch - F/A had spoken to "Dad" several times - he just sat there reading a book.

Little shit came charging up the aisle again and my foot was accidently in the way and he accidentally fell and he accidentally started crying . . . .

"Dad" looked at me as if prepared to say something . . . I answered his look with one word, "What?" The other six people in F were applauding. I believe I heard the F/A laughing as well . . .

The little shit say down and didn't squawk the rest of the flight. That was the end of the incident. I for sure thought I'd be arrested on arrival in ANC - but I was not.

True story - my boss was with me and he still laughs about that to this day.

I have occasionally swatted my daughter on her little butt . . . she's 11, almost too old for that now . . . but she's never been a problem. If you start with discipline (even just talking and reasoning) when the child is way young, you don't have to resort to "assualt" as some put it when they're older. I can tell you the last time I swatted Miranda was three years ago.

Quoting Sprout5199 (reply 32):
    But I am graced with very well behaving childern

Me too! The Lord knows I hate frickin' kids, so when Miranda came along he blessed me with a good one . . . . he also hasn't let me have anymore - cause he'd only be this benevolent once - I'm sure any other child of mine would be Satan's Spawn.
    FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SLC1

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:17 am

ANCFlyer,

Big thumbs up
    nothing pisses me off more than out of control kids

Quoting ANCFlyer (reply 35):
    If you start with discipline (even just talking and reasoning) when the child is way young, you don't have to resort to "assualt" as some put it when they're older.

Thank you

bill142

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:28 am

When my friend picks his son up from day care he says to him "So who do you want to belt you today, mummy or daddy" and the looks he gets from the other people at the day care centre are priceless. By belting he means puttting the kid into his seat and putting his seatbelt on.

And if your going to smack your children do it on the hand or bum and don't be too hard or anything. I was smacked as a child as well but I was never abused or anything so I have no problems with it. But in this day and age you have to be much more careful otherwise you'll end up in court for disiplining your child.

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting SLC1 (reply 36):
    ing pisses me off more than out of control kids

As a general rule, I despise kids . . . all kids, any kids, your kids, his kids, their kids, other kids . . . . just kids . . . can't stand 'em.

It's much easier to deal with that if the kids are well behaved. I know it's a personal problem with which I must deal . . . my biggest challenge, picking up my daughter at school each day. I pick her up when I'm not working, regardless. Maneuvering around that elementary school is the hardest thing for me.

racko

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:40 am

If you have to hurt your child in order to get their attention, you have failed as a parent. Period.

What's the message of smacking children? "If you do what I don't like, I'll hit you!" -> Violence is just another form of argument. I'm sure Mohammad Atta was smacked as a child...

To get this straigth: You are hurting children. CHILDREN. If you want to get physical, at least assault someone in your weigth class, and don't live out your violence fantasies on the most innocent beings on this planet and excuse it with 'education'.

If your parents hi you, have you ever thought of the possibility that they simply couldn't stand you? That they regretted everyday that they placed the sorry excuse for a human being also known as you on mother earth?

[Edited 2005-02-28 00:45:25]

Orion737
    Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:42 am

It seems my thread has caused quite a stir. I still maintain that a loving smack is a good way of disciplining a child.

There are times when a short, sharp smack can work wonders, for instance, if a child runs out into the road. No one is talking about 'assault' or 'beatings' which no one would condone but a smack administered by a loving parent or guardian who had the childs best interests at heart can work wonders

777236ER

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:56 am

I still maintain that a loving smack is a good way of disciplining a child.

There is no such thing as a loving assault.

There are times when a short, sharp smack can work wonders, for instance, if a child runs out into the road

But that very seldom happens. I see parents smack their kids in Sainsbury's for the most mundane things. Never have I seen a parent smack a child who is in mortal danger.

No one is talking about 'assault' or 'beatings' which no one would condone but a smack administered by a loving parent or guardian who had the childs best interests at heart can work wonders

Bullshit. Hitting a child is hitting a child, whether it's 'lovingly' or 'in the child's best interests'.

Orion737
    Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:12 am

777236ER. I take great exception to what you have said. I would think carefully about describing someone as a 'child beater' for smacking their child.

I love my nephews more than anything in this world. I will never have children and they are like my own, however, I have smacked them. I havent enjoyed doing it but it has worked.

Even the goverment realised it was ridiculous to stop parents smacking their own children, therefore the much hyped ban, never came into force.

My father smacked me when I did wrong as a child. It was infrequent but it did happen. I never felt victimised either then or now. He loves me and I can see most f the time when he hit me, I blooming deserved it!

sprout5199

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:15 am

This post is so much BS. I will raise my children how I feel is best. Do I beat them NO, do I let them do what they want NO. Do I put up with screaming to get thier way? NO. there is so much PC in this world it is funny. Why are so many 18year olds in jail? becuase when they were kids they did not learn that there is a price to pay if you break the rules. But to them Jail is just an "adult time out" . when I was kid Jail was not something to be proud of. Guess we just live in a better world. Go to jail your cool, dont and you are not a "playar"

Dan in jupiter

QANTASforever

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:17 am

lol Okay - father of twin three year olds is chiming in:

When you are at a supermarket and have two blessed little blonde angels yelling, screaming, falling to the ground in tears, hitting each other and basically re-enacting the conquests of Genghis Khan, there is often little option but to remind them in a swift yet not overly harsh manner that their behaviour is unacceptable. I rarely smack my kids, but when I do it is always accompanied by a conversation as to why it happened. When children are histerical they don't always react to verbal discipline - thus a quick and absolutely painless smack with the hand across their clothed backside tells them that they must calm down.

I know some people see smacking as bad - but don't confuse it with beatings, or assault, or the myriad of other verbs in the cannon of anti-smacking groups. I don't tell other people how to parent my children - so please don't tell me how to parent mine.

I find it funny that most anti-smacking people here have no children of their own.

QFF
    Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

sprout5199

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:20 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (reply 44):
    I find it funny that most anti-smacking people here have no children of their own.

I AGREE

Dan in Jupiter

777236ER

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:22 am

777236ER. I take great exception to what you have said. I would think carefully about describing someone as a 'child beater' for smacking their child.

I don't see the distinction. Hitting a child is assault regardless of severity. Like I said, were you to 'smack' me, you'd be charged and convicted on an assault charge.

I love my nephews more than anything in this world. I will never have children and they are like my own, however, I have smacked them. I havent enjoyed doing it but it has worked.

So you don't even beat your own children? I'm sure torturing them would make them behave better too.

I know some people see smacking as bad - but don't confuse it with beatings, or assault, or the myriad of other verbs in the cannon of anti-smacking groups. I don't tell other people how to parent my children - so please don't tell me how to parent mine.

So what IS the distinction between smacking and assault?

QANTASforever

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:24 am

Smacking should be painless, not leave a mark, not cause any sort of damage to your child at all.

Assault causes harm.

That is the distinction.

777236ER

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:26 am

Smacking should be painless, not leave a mark, not cause any sort of damage to your child at all.

Assault causes harm.

That is the distinction.

If smacking is painless, what's the point?

Orion737
    Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:26 am

And most people are able to recognise that distiction.

QANTASforever

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:30 am

Quoting 777236ER (reply 48):
    If smacking is painless, what's the point?

lol the point of smacking was NEVER to inflict pan. Never never ever!!
    The point is to painlessly remind the child in a physical way that their behaviour is unacceptablen when all other avenues of discipline have been exhausted. Smacking should always be painless in my opinion.

Really, the way I do it is is more of a firm pat on the backside than a smack.