cptkrell

I Want To Blow Up My Computer Hard Drive

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:55 pm

While out of town, wifey bought a new pc and I thought using the old hard drive tower for shotgun practice would be appropriate (I understand that it's virtually impossible to totally erase the contents completely).

Me being practically computer illiterate makes me want to ask if there are any really hazardous materials within that I should worry about. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

adam

RE: I Want To Blow Up My Computer Hard Drive

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:04 pm

Well, I really wouldnt suggest doing anything to it unless you really don't want it. You can call your manufacturer and have them send you a system disk. Theres a manuf. # on the back of the PC, give it to them, and they'll send you the cd's to totally wipe out and restore you PC. I have an HP and I was careless with it, and my harddrive, I THOUGHT was thru...I felt the same way but I called HP, sent them $14.00 and they sent me the 6 Microsoft Disks specifically for your model PC. You'll get basically a brand new computer.
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

cptkrell

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:15 pm

This thing is 10+ years old and earlier attempts "upgrade" have been a waste of time. It's not really an acceptable donation to a charity. I wonder, though, about serious contaminants should I destroy it before shoveling the pieces in the trash (which goes to a local landfill). Regards...Jack
all best; jack

Airlinerfreak

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:21 pm

A lot of times I think the same thing. But instead I just sock my pillow and let it be.

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:38 pm

Quoting Cptkrell (reply 0):
While out of town, wifey bought a new pc

LOL !

Other than that, don't throw out the actual tower as it can be a basis for a new computer project  Smile

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:42 pm

I formed an organization a while back

S.H.I.T.

Shooting holes in technology

I found that a Zenith 286 can stop .45ACP rounds pretty reliably.

Old harddrives are cool to shoot, use buckshot though.. 00 or 000 old drives will often times stop .45 auto as well.. most rifle stuff will sail right through.. just whatever you do don't shoot monitors, they are a bitch to clean up.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

bill142

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:30 pm

I've found hammers to be quite effective. However I am interested to see what some form of explosives may do to my computer

Thom@s

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:12 pm

Person annoyed by computer. Never heard of that before...  Big grin

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

707CMF

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:17 pm

You can open the hard drive itself, take out the plates, you'll note that they are quite friable, you should be able to fold and break those plates... No need for firearms then.

Cheers,

nwajetset

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:35 am

It is possible to completely erase the hard drive completely. I have done it myself twice on two different computers. There is CD-ROM software called wipe-drive. It costs about $50.00 at any office or computer store.

ltbewr

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:45 am

A better suggestion it to remove the hard drive, get your old drill, attach a 1/4 inch drill bit and drill away. This will make it useless, and is sometimes suggested to those whom want to dispose of their old computers without letting out critical or embarassing info for very low cost. Beside, explosives may be illegal and dangerous and you don't want your neighbors turning you into the police as a possible terrorist  Smile

clrd2go

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:45 am

I've often had visions of picking up the tower from mine and carrying it outside over my head, then tossing it in the street and watch it slide down the hill...or..drop it from a second floor window. Grabbing the monitor by the power cord and swinging it over my head and letting it fly..

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

cptkrell

Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:17 pm

Baikal 20 ga. double barrel over-and-under. Alternated between 6 and 7.5 all purpose field loads at about 5 yards from the hip. Kinda fun. Glad there's enough of the thing left for a little more practice.

To clarify, I was wondering about possible hazardous shit while using it as target practice...no interest in spending $ on "wiping" it, and we're on 30+ acres in the country so I have no worry about noise and legalities. Anyhoo, thanks. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

CaptOveur

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:45 pm

The hard drive has nothing hazardous in it.

If you shoot the whole computer the only thing remotely hazardous you might encounter is the lithium battery. Otherwise they are really nothing special.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

bill142

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:03 pm

cover the inside with petrol putty and watch the thing implode on itself.

redngold

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:38 am

I'd have the most fun with a sledgehammer    

If you wanted to "euthanize" it, just download a virus.  Smile

[Edited 2005-03-03 17:42:23]
Up, up and away!

SlamClick

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:50 am

Many years ago, waiting for a flying job I did some temp-labor work. We were salvaging and scrapping large copiers. After removing the reusable components like cooling fans etc. and removing the sheet metal for scrap, we sawed the frames apart in key places and then my job - I got to attack the circuit boards with a chisel and baby sledge hammer.

Damn that was fun. Transistors and diodes flying in all direction. Take that, technology! Die, silicon demons! Smile

Question: How about powerful degaussers, or bulk video erasers? Will those wipe hard disks to the point of making them unrecoverable?

Just remembered - my first revenge on technology. When I was in high school I had an alarm clock that ticked so loudly it kept me from sleeping sometimes. One day I came home from school after nodding off in class all day because of it. I took the alarm clock out back and blew its little brass guts out with my .303 British. Felt good!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Jetsgo

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:43 am

Quoting Nwajetset (reply 9):
It is possible to completely erase the hard drive completely. I have done it myself twice on two different computers. There is CD-ROM software called wipe-drive. It costs about $50.00 at any office or computer store.

I've heard about this, but I was concerned that it would make certain parts of the computer not work with one another anymore. Is this true? What do you have to do after it is erased completely?

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

jfkaua

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:02 am

the only thing that is hazerdous really is the mother board battery..

whitehatter

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:58 am

Wipe the hard disk and donate it to a school or church. Something like diskkiller would work fine or a utility from the HDD manufacturer.

I've got ones from Maxtor and Fujitsu that work really thoroughly.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Klaus

Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:52 am

Degaussing coils don´t nearly have enough power to wipe a harddisk. You´d need a massive magnetic field to do that. The R/W heads have no trouble changing the magnetization due to the microscopic distance from the platter. You may damage the recorded data, but a proper cleaning software would do a much better job than that.

After writing any data over any previous files it already takes very specialized tools (including partial disassembly of the disk and connection to custom-made drive controllers) to recover some of the previous recording; After multiple overwriting passes it gets increasingly difficult even with such special equipment.

And yes, computers contain plenty of hazardous materials! It´s a zoo of more or less hazardous plastics, fire retardants, paints, dyes, plastic softeners, toxic components carried by the chips themselves, copper, mercury, quite a bit of lead (in every soldering point) and other heavy metals.

So please do not just dump computer hardware in the trash! In many countries you´d be fined for that - and with good reason. Most western countries (and several computer manufacturers) offer some recycling infrastructure for electronics by now.

dan2002

Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:22 am

Ah, I remember taking my old AMD K6 tower and throwing it off my roof 2 years ago. Im still finding pieces of plastic and PCB in my lawn when I mow it. And if you want to destroy the hard drive's data, take the front cover off the hard-disk and take a key to each of the platters, or just rip off the read/write arm.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.