keno

Can I Buy Airline Ticket (int'l) Without Passport?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 pm

I just learnt that I need to fly to Japan in about 3 weeks time. The thing is, my international passport expires sometime last year. Do I need to present my passport when making the ticket purchase? There's some good deals on MH & JL to Tokyo and I need to book them a.s.a.p. Chances are my passport would not be ready by then.

So, do I need my passport to buy the ticket? I'll buy it from a travel agent and not online. As for the passport, I'm 100% sure that it would be ready by the date of my travel. Help!

ly7e7

RE: Can I Buy Airline Ticket (int'l) Without Passport?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:33 pm

You don't need a passport to buy the ticket itself. Of course if you need a visa that's a whole different thing. Some countries also demand your passport to be valid for a certain time upon your entry.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

Andreas

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:36 pm

Well I don't know the proceedings in Malaysia, but in Germany you'd have no problem buying that ticket. Travel agents don't have the right to see your passport (and buying online does give you the chance to buy a ticket without presenting your passport anyway), and besides, BUYING the ticket is not the point...flying is. So don't try to fly without your passport when flying cross-border (EU Schengen notwithstanding of course, but hgat doesn't seem to be the prob here). Chances are pretty close to 100% or so you'll never get aboard.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:38 pm

For travel to the US, Canada and Australia, carriers/agents are required to add passport information to the booking at the time it is made (regardless of when the ticket is issued). I don't think Japan has this requirement however.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers