adam

Leno, Letterman, Or Conan?

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:11 pm

How do they rate with you? I live for Leno's monologue, and Conan is funny, and has definately come a long way to forming his own self degrading but hilarious sense of humor. I absolutely cannot stand Letterman.
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

DfwRevolution

RE: Leno, Letterman, Or Conan?

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:21 pm

1. Conan- greatness, doesn't give what people think, off-the-wall, energetic, original

2. Leno- eh okay

3. Letterman- also okay, but just doesn't make me laugh. Chuckle, maybe. But just nothing out of the ordinary.

SLC1

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:24 pm

I also place Letterman bottom last, I place Leno at the top of the pile, because although I find myself liking Conan more, I don't think he has what it takes to be the top dog, and I couldn't watch him every night, he is what he is.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

Newark777

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:25 pm

Definitely Conan top of the pile. I can't wait until he replaces Leno in '09.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

planecrazy2

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:29 pm

Letterman is last for me followed by Conan and then Leno. I'll never forget on Conan when he had Martha Stewart on the TV (computer aided) and she got really angry and her eyes filled with fire. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about....
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

Usairwys757

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:32 pm

Conan hands down. He is by far the funniest and the most unoriginal. A nice twist to the late night shows.

Inactive.....

DfwRevolution

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:33 pm

Quoting Planecrazy2 (reply 4):
I'll never forget on Conan when he had Martha Stewart on the TV (computer aided) and she got really angry and her eyes filled with fire. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about....

Hahahahaha... that was hillarious. I think they did it with Arnold Shwartzenager and Sadaam Husein heads.

Even better was Conan's Salute to the Midwest, instead of a ball-drop, a head of Opra Winfrey and Jim Balushi met in the middle of the stage and started toung kissing. So funny I was crying.

flight152

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:38 pm

I like Leno the best, his monologue I find the best of all. Second, would have to be conan. I went to a live taping of Letterman in New York over the summer and I never really found him funny.

cptkrell

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:48 pm

Rehash, I think, of some previous parallel topic(s), but after "accidentally" watching Conan O'Brien recently, I am entirely convinced that any ratings Jay Leno currently enjoys will seriously falter when O'Brien assumes his replacement position.

I don't like Conan's name, voice, face, hair, dumb skits, stupid little entry squirts, voice-over entro, theme music, his band-leader, most choices of (particularly) "musical" guests, or his antical figiting and extended and/or delayed repitition of stupid facial expressions to encite squeels of a (I percieve) similarly dumbass audience.

Other than that, I think Conan O'Brien is a valuable, living illustration of a far-less-than-mediocre "entertainer". I'm cool on Letterman and all the others, too. Perhaps if this topic endures for a little while, I'll tell you how I really feel. Regards..Jack
all best; jack

j_hallgren

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:48 pm

Leno is my favorite! I have seen him twice in person, some years ago. Even got to say hi to him...he seems to be a very regular guy...
Letterman is next best...ok some times...not some times...
Conan is just plain stupid...he doesn't have the class it takes to do the Tonight show in my opinion...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

theCoz

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:52 pm

Conan is at the top of my list as well, followed by Letterman, then Leno. They're all great though.

SLC1

Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting J_Hallgren (reply 9):
Conan is just plain stupid...he doesn't have the class it takes to do the Tonight show in my opinion...

There's the wording I was looking for. He's funny in his way, and I love his show, but I don't think his type of humour/personality belongs on the Tonight Show, but then again who else would replace Leno?
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:07 pm

Letterman is my favourite. I just really like his style of humour.

Leno is nice - but I kinda feel sorry for him how his monologues flop night after night.

Conan the barbarian is not someone I admire or find amusing.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

adam

Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:39 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (reply 1):
1. Conan- greatness, doesn't give what people think, off-the-wall, energetic, original

Totally agree Dfw.

I like Conan and Leno equally, but Conan doesn't focus really on a strong stand up monologue like Jay, although sometime's Jay's mono isn't that great. his style of telling jokes has never changed. Conan is totally off the wall and you never know what he's gonna do.

I do remember the Martha Stewart episode on Conan. That was funny, but my most memorable moments on Conan was when he was showing pictures of his labor day picnic with Max, and he showed a picture of Max in a bikini. It was obviously computer made, but it was so funny Conan got up and walked away because he was cracking up laughing. I love those moments with Conan, and Jay just doesn't have that "hey lets really cut lose and have fun" attitude that Conan does.

Regardless, Letterman is horrible.

Adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

FlyMKG

Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:52 pm

Leno is an absolute box. He isn't even remotely funny and he moves around like a board. Letterman is very personable and he seems like an everyday guy. His monologue is good too. Conan is just so off the wall it is hilarious. His little skits are some of the funniest things on TV. From best to worst it is Conan, Letterman, Leno, and then whoever come on after Letterman.

FlyMKG
Essential Power, Operating Generator.

Airlinerfreak

Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:53 pm

Leno actually makes me laugh so I am going to have to go with Jay Leno.

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:19 pm

Conan is an idiot. I can't believe Leno picked him to take over the Tonight Show in 5 years - isn't there a drunken near homeless bastard that is better suited? No offense to the drunks and homeless . . .

I put Leno and Letterman on par. I prefer Leno's monologues, but Letterman's guests.

But Conan . . . .geez, that stupid, robotic bullshit dance he does, he's worthless. Maybe there's an Infomercial on the Power of Rubber Dog Shit on rather than Conan???
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

solarix

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:10 pm

I enjoy Leno the best. His monologue, jaywalking, headlines....
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:25 pm

Conan is hands down the funniest man on TV. I absolutely love his show. It's the only late show worth watching!

itsjustme

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:31 pm

Ya know, it just doesn't seem right to be discussing late night talk shows without paying tribute to the best, the chairman of the board, Johnny Carson. That being said, I find Conan to be just plain irritating. I can't put my finger on it, he just is. Jay mumbles too damn much during his monologue, making him difficult to understand. I think Letterman's a class act. I like the caliber of guests he books and, as ridiculous as this may sound, I like that his guests, for the most part anyway, dress and sit appropriately. What's with this latest thing where talk show guests think it's cool or whatever, to show up looking like they just crawled out of bed (ala Collin Farrell) and then curl up in the chair next to the host and sit either Indian style or with their feet tucked under their butt (ala Sharon Osborne)? Like I said, that probably sounds stupid but I enjoy watching a talk show that maintains a mature atmosphere. Of course then I turn on Southpark so what do I know?

bill142

Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:38 pm

Leno and Conan. Wish I still had the comedy channel.

srbmod

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:55 am

Some pundits have said that Conan may have to tone it down a few notches when he assumes the Tonight Show, as not everything that plays with the 12:35 AM crowd will play with the 11:35 PM crowd.

While it's been a while since I've watched any of the late night talk shows (Having to get up for work @ 4 am makes it hard to stay up that late), I've always flipped the channels between Leno and Letterman (A lot of times the one I watched was based on the guests). I did the same thing with Conan and Kilborn.

Leno's strong point is the monologue (Comes from his stand up days.)

Conan's is the bits he does (A product of his days as a writer for SNL and The Simpsons)

Letterman has a mix of both skills.

mdsh00

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:05 am

For me, it is a tie between Leno and Conan. Letterman is next...and way at the bottom is that God-awful Carson Daily  hissyfit . Give it up Carson, nobody cares about you anymore.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

corey07850

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:39 am

Quoting Srbmod (reply 21):
Some pundits have said that Conan may have to tone it down a few notches when he assumes the Tonight Show, as not everything that plays with the 12:35 AM crowd will play with the 11:35 PM crowd.

Good thing they don't show the previous nights re-run on CNBC at 7:00 PM... oh wait  Smile

whitehatter

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:45 am

Stop whining. It could be worse.

A lot worse  twocents 

You could have Geraldo on instead!  yuck 
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

desertjets

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:02 am

I think a lot has to do with how old you are and which one of the three you like best.

Leno --- Best monologue, generally good regular bits (though at times headlines and Jay walking gets a bit old). The downsides to his show is the somewhat contrived banter between Jay and Kevin. The celebrity of the week guest list.

Letterman --- His guests are generally better than Leno's. He has some good regular bits, but generally none that are super popular or all that great (i.e. Will it Float). Though stupid dog tricks is worth watching when it is on.

O'Brian --- He is the most fluid and dynamic of the three. He is far more willing to go for the gag, but lacks the stand-up chops that make for good monologues. His guests tend to be far less of the celebrity of the week bunch, a bit more B-list and indy... especially his musical guests. I actually like seeing non-overexposed bands perform. I'll agree that his style will need to change to better fit the earlier timeslot, which will have proportionately fewer stoned college students watching.

Now for the wildcard, Jon Stewart. With the shuffle happening at NBC in 2009 I could see him getting a major network latenight show. And I think he could do a better show than Conan. Stewart has the stand-up background, he's a good comedy writer (plus he has a damn good team with him), and he has a political sensibility not seen on late night since Johnny Carson left the air.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

DfwRevolution

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:13 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (reply 16):
Conan is an idiot. I can't believe Leno picked him to take over the Tonight Show in 5 years - isn't there a drunken near homeless bastard that is better suited? No offense to the drunks and homeless . . .

Young people love him, and as CBS almost found out, who wants a comic (and audiance) who might drop dead?

COTXDFW777AA

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:20 am

Stewart wont leave Comedy Central. By 09 he will probably owning the whole network considering how sucessful his show is these days.
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

AirWillie6475

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:48 pm

Conan is the funniest of them all. The difference between Conan and Leno/Letterman is that Conan is the show, Leno/Letterman rely on the guests for the show to be entertaining. Leno has really slowed down. Allthough his monologues are very funny, the rest of the show is boring. I don't like Letterman because I feel like I live in 1970's when I watch that show. I hope that they place Conan before Leno so I can get an hour more of sleep. By the way I can't believe that Letterman makes more than Leno and Conan, and he has the best ratings.????

AsstChiefMark

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:30 pm

Adult Swim beats them all!  bouncy 
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Thom@s

Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:36 pm

We only get Letterman here. Incredible lame show, but I can see why it has such a huge success in the US.  Smile

Conan?

Thom@s  Confused
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

bragi

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:42 pm

Conan is the best of the three!

I loved his tribute to the red states; Nascar driving, gun toting Jesus! silly  Triumph the comic insult dog is also absolutely brilliant.
Muhammad Ali: "Superman don’t need no seat belt." Flight Attendant: "Superman don’t need no airplane, either."

SFOMEX

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm

Letterman, hands down. He is ironic, mean, incisive... funny as hell! His monologue is always clever, which is the big difference with Leno. The Top Ten deserves an especial place on TV's history.

Leno, on the other hand, is boooring. I can't neither believe nor understand how his show gets better ratings than Letterman.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

fraspotter

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:10 am

I absolutly love the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. The monologues are funny and he has the perfect sidekick (Kevin). Conan I have only seen a few times and he seems okay... Letterman, well.... The show just ISN'T THAT FUNNY!!! About the only thing I like to watch is his top 10 list.
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."