Avianca
Topic Author

Food From Your Country / City

Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:56 pm

What is a special food from your Country / City?

here in Frankfurt is HandKäse a special and very common food. It smells very well  Smile
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

JGPH1A

RE: Food From Your Country / City

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:01 pm

Salad Nicoise - green salad with tuna, hard-boiled egg, anchovies, olives and green-beans

Daube Nicoise - pasta (normally cheese/spinach ravioli) with a beef and red-wine casserole sauce (mmmm)

Socca - flat-fried cornmeal served in thin slices with sauce.

Stuffed vegetables - tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, mushrooms stuffed with forcemeat or rice stuffing.

Pistou - a sort of regional variation on pesto, with olives and anchovies and LOTS of garlic - mmmmm.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

bill142

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:04 pm

Vegemite anyone?

SLC1

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:05 pm

From my home city we have "Fry Sauce", that no one else has, look it up on Wikipedia. That's the only original thing I can think of except maybe green jello with carrots.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

cornish

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:07 pm

From Cornwall (rather than the UK)

Cornish pastys
Clotted Cream (and cream teas)
Cornish Vanilla Ice cream
Clotted Cream fudge
Cornish Fairings (type of ginger biscuit)

the cornish clotted cream (made by roddas), has even been served to me on Air Canada as part of a cream tea, and used to be on TWA among others years ago. Don't know if any other airlines still use it.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MYT332

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:13 pm

From the UK? Well we have Chicken Tika Masala  Wink
One Life, Live it.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:15 pm

Quoting Cornish (reply 4):
the cornish clotted cream (made by roddas), has even been served to me on Air Canada as part of a cream tea, and used to be on TWA among others years ago. Don't know if any other airlines still use it.

BA still do, on afternoon longhaul flights.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:17 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (reply 6):
BA still do, on afternoon longhaul flights.

Yes they do come to think of it - i think its a different brand though.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

flyingnanook

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:11 pm

Alaska has a lot of interesting food.

Reindeer sausage - great on pizza, or eaten like a hot dog
Moose meat - very popular, I'm partial to homemade moose jerky

Or for the more adventurous, try some Eskimo delicacies.
Eskimo ice cream - animal fat mixed with seal oil, berries, and sugar. It's better than it sounds.
Muktuk - whale blubber. It's quite chewy.
Dried fish dipped in seal oil - never tried it, but it you can smell it from a mile away
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Pe@rson

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:14 pm

Quoting Cornish (reply 4):
Cornish pastys
Clotted Cream (and cream teas)
Cornish Vanilla Ice cream
Clotted Cream fudge
Cornish Fairings (type of ginger biscuit)

Yum, yum, yum! I love ALL of those!  Big grin

Cornish: have you flown on Air Southwest yet? They sell Ginsters sandwiches and sausage rolls, but oddly not pasties, onboard.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

cornish

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:00 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (reply 9):
Cornish: have you flown on Air Southwest yet? They sell Ginsters sandwiches and sausage rolls, but oddly not pasties, onboard.

Haven't had the pleasure yet of Air Southwest. Tend to drive down to Cornwall rahter than take the plane (shame on me!). My mum uses them to come up and visit from time to time. However with your news of no on-board pasties, I shall be requesting she boycotts the airline with immediate effect

NumberTwelve

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:07 pm

Quoting Bill142 (reply 2):
Vegemite anyone?

No, thanks, no vegemite. I LOVE Australia, i love the people there, the country, the nature, the beaches, the barbies with a can of beer. But pleeeeease NO VEGEMITE
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

mbmbos

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:21 pm

If you want a local, work day dish here in Boston, try Scrod.

Scrod is a young white fish, usually cod, that is dredged in butter and bread crumbs, then broiled for a few minutes. Nothing exotic, just good ol' New England comfort food.

seb146

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:50 am

In a few minutes, I am headed for Pioneer Courthouse Square to indulge in the bestest food in the Northwest: Shelly's Honkin' Huge Burritos with the fresh salsa! Y-U-M!!! If you are ever in Portland and have time, take any MAX line to the Square and get one. Trust me. They are vegitarian, but oh, so yummy!

Saturday Market starts this weekend. I can't wait because there is a food vendor there who sells clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls. I don't see breadbowls with soup, stew or chowder very often. I think that must be a Portland thing.

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

prosa

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:54 am

Quoting MBMBOS (reply 12):

If you want a local, work day dish here in Boston, try Scrod.

Scrod is a young white fish, usually cod, that is dredged in butter and bread crumbs, then broiled for a few minutes. Nothing exotic, just good ol' New England comfort food.

Then there was the seafood-loving tourist in Boston, who asked at his hotel where he could get scrod.
He was complimented on his use of the subjunctive tense  Cool
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

LHMark

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:57 am

Crapchester proudly serves:

The Garbage Plate (featured several times on The Food Network

White hots

Fish Frys

and the best cheeseburgers in the country.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

BAViscount

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:31 am

Hmmm, now let me think, what do we have in London? Jellied eels, pie, mash and liquor - and for the American readers, that's a green gravy rather than alcohol! Alcohol does help though - it has been known for me to indulge in a plate of pie and mash when desperate...well...drunk!

Thank the Lord for Chicken Tikka Masala and Doner Kebabs, that's all I can say!!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

Cadet985

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:42 am

In Philadelphia, we have the cheesesteak, TastyKakes, and the soft pretzel. All of which are among my favorite foods.

Marc

whitehatter

Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:06 am

Eccles cakes.

Salford's contribution to culinary history.

BAViscount...did you know you can buy that stuff frozen now? Cooks' Pie and Mash with liquor. Looks bloody vile.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

mbmbos

Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:30 am

"Then there was the seafood-loving tourist in Boston, who asked at his hotel where he could get scrod. He was complimented on his use of the subjunctive tense."

Smile Aren't you a caution!

I always thought it sounded like a disease one got as a result of the subjunctive tense.

Logan22L

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:53 am

Scrod is a young white fish, usually cod...

Actually, a fisherman friend of mine informed me that when spelled without an "h" it is cod, and when spelled with an "h," as in schrod, it is catch of the day, often haddock or halibut.

At any rate, with mashed potatoes, salad, and lots of beer or wine, it shore is good eatin'.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

bananaboy

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:05 am

From Reading Berkshire....

Beer... Fosters is brewed here, and used to be Simonds (now Courage) Brewery which started brewing in 1785.

Biscuits (cookies) ... Huntley, and later Huntley & Palmer started baking biscuits in the early 1800's, now part of United Biscuits.

Other than that, "Gregs" opposite the station does a mean kebab, if you can stomach eating roadkill in pitta bread that is.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

mdsh00

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:07 am

Well, California has its own "cuisine" but one of our best known imports are...In-n-Out Burger.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

vc10

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:12 am

Now how about " Faggots and Peas" , " Dried salted cod "
or "Tripe and onions"

all real great to eat but not together. You need a lot of beer after the Cod

Be happy little vc10