Trojan Horse And Other Problems

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:32 am

This is really irritating me. After nearly 2 weeks of computer problems, I find I have something called a Trojan Horse. Adware removal program does not detect it and seems to make it worse. I have lost Windows Media Player and Real Player, so no listening to music on my computer and also I have only 16 colors, so any .jpg files are not that great. I currently surf the web using Navigator 7.2 and I get pop up ads opening in Explorer. What do I do now? Should I just get out the KY to make it less painful?

Patriotic and Proud Liberal

RE: Trojan Horse And Other Problems

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:42 am

Well a Trojan is a virus. You will need to run an up-to-date virus scanner to at least figure out what you have. Now whether or not it can remove the virus automatically is another question. If it is self-replicating you may have to go in manually and delete it from your registry. Or you might be lucky and there might be a tool to specifically clean out your trojan.

I had one on my machine, a self-replicating trojan. But it was fairly benign and didn't seem to do anything bad that I could see.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:28 am

Download Microsoft AntiSpyware. It's shockingly excellent.
Airbus Lover

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:06 pm

I also have one such problem and I hope you do not mind me asking some questions in your thread Seb146.

There is a 'sysdebug32' trojan horse in my Windows folder. This trojan will disable me reading PDF files using my IE and when I close my PDF file, it will say something along the lines of debugging and I need to terminate the program. When I do terminate, some of my IE windows will be closed. It also appears along with some popups and therefore this leads me to believe that it is some sort of virus acquired through adwares?

I've tried everything and they just won't detect/delete it. Norton AntiVirus will alert me that there is a virus everytime an error described above appears and points to sysdebug32 being a trojan horse but fails to repair or even quarantine it.

What should I do? I believe it is in the directory of ../WINDOWS/sys32/

Can anyone help?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:01 pm

Try an anti trojan from Tucows

most of these are shareware but have a 30 day trial which should be enough time to get rid of your problem. I used one of them about 18 months ago for a similar problem, just can't remember which one it was now.

I trust you are running decent anti-virus and firewall programmes. AVG or Agnitum Outpost (anti-virus) and Zone Alarm or Avast (Firewalls) are all free and are constantly updated.