bristolflyer

'My Kids Are Great' Car Stickers - Who Cares?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:50 am

I'm sick of seeing bumper (sorry fender) stickers that say 'my child is an honor roll student at such-and-such a school'.

Do they think that people care? Does it give the parent the thought that he/she themselves is clever?

Man, enough already!

Another one that caused amusment (or bemusement) recently was 'I know someone who was murdered'. What? Why do they need to put this on their car? Do they think that the person in the car behind them is going to stop being a murderer just because they saw this?!

Anyone else got gripes with bad stickers?

BF
Fortune favours the brave

Newark777

RE: 'My Kids Are Great' Car Stickers - Who Cares?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:55 am

I'm a fan of the ones that say, "My kid beat up your honor student," or something like that. I always get a kick out of those.

I really can't stand any stickers that are purely bragging about their kids' or their own accomplishments. You don't get anything out of impressing other drivers, and if anything it probably just makes people pissed at you.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

xjramper

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:57 am

LOL...this is one of those psychological issues with the parents who have to post their kids sucess to justify their unsucess. They are a joke.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

ANCFlyer

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting Newark777 (reply 1):
"My kid beat up your honor student

Yup, just about my favorite!  rotfl 

The other one I really like:

My Kid Knocked Up Your Honor Student  wideeyed  thumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

sccutler

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:04 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (reply 0):
Do they think that people care? Does it give the parent the thought that he/she themselves is clever?

Nope. It tells the kid that you are proud of them. It matters, a lot.

Quoting XJRamper (reply 2):
LOL...this is one of those psychological issues with the parents who have to post their kids sucess to justify their unsucess. They are a joke.

Tell us about your kids...

I knew a lot more about kids and about how a parent should act... before I had a kid of my own.

Come to think of it, I knew a lot more about everything when I was younger. I knew it all. All more complicated, now...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

AsstChiefMark

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:15 pm

Twenty-five years ago, I had one that said, "Have you slugged your kid today?" It was a take-off on the then-popular slogan: Have you hugged your kid today?

Current favorites:
"My karma ran over your dogma"
"God is coming and is she pissed!"

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

jcs17

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:56 pm

My favorites are the "My child is an honor student at ----- ELEMENTARY SCHOOL." Give me a freaking break, if your kid isn't an honor student in elementary school, they are a freaking dope. Another good one is "My child is an honor student at [insert inner-city high school here]." I just roll my eyes and think, ooohhh, that had to been tough to be an honor student there when the average SAT score is a 700.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Airlinerfreak

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:00 pm

I think they are stupid, they are just stupid stickers that make parents proud. I am an honor roll student S.A.S. is what they call it here but at the end of the day it does not matter until you go to college.

Newark777

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:02 pm

Quoting SCCutler (reply 4):
I knew a lot more about kids and about how a parent should act... before I had a kid of my own.

Come to think of it, I knew a lot more about everything when I was younger. I knew it all. All more complicated, now...

Knowing a lot of the parents with these kinds of stickers, I see that a lot of it is because of the parents, not the kids. These are the parents who think their kids are absolutely perfect, without question, and are just the next best thing. They will step over other people to get the best for their kids, without thinking twice about others. I am not saying this is what you are like, you are probably a great dad, but these are the kind of people I commonly see with the stickers, and part of the reason I despise them so much.

Harry

174thfwff

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:10 pm

It's not your car...and besides, I feel it's refreshing when you see parents actually care about their kids! I went to the supermarket last night and when this little boy asked his mom if she needed help putting the groceries into the car (this was at 1am mind you, and the boy was about 6 or 7) the mom was on the cellphone ignoring him and when he asked her two times after that she hit him in the face and told him "boy you better shut the hell up unless you want a whoopin!" I wanted to go and hit that lady in the face! I have a feeling that kid won’t be the most productive member of society..
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Newark777

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:13 pm

I have a feeling a sticker isn't going to help that kid much.  Wink

That lady does sound like a bitch, though. Poor kid.

Harry

ANCFlyer

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:18 pm

Quoting 174thfwff (reply 9):
the mom was on the cellphone ignoring him and when he asked her two times after that she hit him in the face and told him "boy you better shut the hell up unless you want a whoopin!

Some people shouldn't breed . . . .

But I'd make a bet the "Mom's" childhood was similar . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CanadianNorth

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:34 pm

I remember seeing one once that said "Your kid is an honor student, but your still a moron"

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

USAFHummer

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (reply 12):
"Your kid is an honor student, but your still a moron"

I have that one, however my folks wouldn't let me stick it on the Airbusmobile for fear someone would take offense to it...lame!  Yeah sure

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

SonOfACaptain

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:50 pm

Everytime I see a sticker like that, I immediately tell them they are number 1 with a particular finger......not really, but I should.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Matt D

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:21 am

Well you can blame all of that on the self esteem movement. Today, there are no such thing as regular kids anymore. They are all "gifted" or "special" kids. No parents would stand for it. Even if your kid walks with a severe limp, drools like a basset hound, and didn't utter his first words until age 13, he'd still be, someway, somehow, "gifted".

Amazing.

SLC1

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:29 am

(sorry fender) stickers

who says fender sticker?
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

IAH777

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:31 am

I've been thinking about a spoof for my dad's car: "My son arrested the kid that beat up your honor student."

SLC1

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:36 am

Quoting IAH777 (reply 17):
My son arrested the kid that beat up your honor student.

haha, I'm not a fan of "honor student" stickers, I've thought that the "beat up" stickers are kinda funny but low-class, but that one takes the cake.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

srbmod

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:47 am

Another good parody of the Honor stickers:

My child's on the Warden's List @ Sing Sing.

The worst offenders are those that have the entire back of the car covered in those "Honor Student" stickers. I could care less if your kids an honor student at a local school. I'm honestly surprised that there are even honor students at the schools in my area, at least from the way the school system is run.

A sticker I like (but would never put on my car) goes:

My Inner Child Is A Mean Fucker!

IAH777

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:50 am

My child's on the Warden's List @ Sing Sing

I've seen a nice variation: "My son has perfect attendance at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice" Big grin

AsstChiefMark

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:22 pm

Quoting SLC1 (reply 16):
who says fender sticker?

I think this is what's meant by a Fender sticker:

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

bristolflyer

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:29 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (reply 21):
Quoting SLC1 (reply 16):
who says fender sticker?

Isn't a fender in the US what we'd call a bumper in the UK?

I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea having lived in the UK and now moved to the US.

BF

PS And is that a first on a.net - quoting a quote?

Newark777

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (reply 22):

I've confused myself thinking about it, but they are called bumper stickers. Say fender stickers, and you will get some odd looks.  Smile

Harry

SLC1

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:42 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (reply 22):

well i guess we say fender too, but for the most part i think bumper is more common, I always say bumper

USAFHummer

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:49 pm

Yet we call a minor car collision a "fender bender," not a "bumper bender"...just some food for thought...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

SLC1

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:54 pm

well bumper bender doesn't rhyme

cptkrell

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:26 pm

Personal message bumper stickers are for the most part boring (IMHO), and I hardly take note. But, I succombed to answering a frustration years ago with the somehow very popular "Baby On Board" bumper/window, stickers by clandestinely having printed a hundred or so "Baby On Board Is DEAD!" stickers. I couldn't print them up fast enough.

Matt D and others have touched on the esteem bullshit. I'm not a psychologist, but I'm thinking there's probably merit in that analogy. Perhaps it's even more of an esteem device with the parents vs. other parents (old USA terminology: "Keeping up with the Joneses") rather than patting their sometimes, anyway, barely mediocre child/student

Nothing new; reminds me of the stickers/counter-stickers way back such as: "I have a Dream" vs. "I have a Job", "Hope" vs. "No Hope", "Pray for Peace" vs. "Pray for Piece", and of course the above-mentioned (similar) "My bad boy stained your honor student's panties last night".

P.S. Bumper is still terminology for front/rear impact areas and fender is still terminology for bodywork over and around the front/rear wheel areas in the USA. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

pilotaydin

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:23 pm

those student stickers arent that bad i guess, i saw them in the south, a little too much

but dear god, the one's the PISSED me off for some strange reason were people who had GIANT white stickers that said RIVERSIDE BANK (HEARTS) ME, i mean who the hell would carry a sticker of their BANK loving them...of course your bank loves you!! DUH!!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

TACAA320

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:13 am

I'm sick of seeing bumper (sorry fender) stickers that say 'my child is an honor roll student at such-and-such a school'.

I have the same feeling. Try to avoid looking at them. Is that simple.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

flight152

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:23 am

I have that one, however my folks wouldn't let me stick it on the Airbusmobile for fear someone would take offense to it...lame

Greg, did the new Volvo get those *cough* shitty airbus stickers?

MIAspotter

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:58 am

LOL well luckily you don't see many bumper stickers here in the UK, but when I lived in Miami the one I remember the most was

"My son had sex with your honor roll student"

and one day here in England I saw a car with one of those baby on board signs but this one said "This is a stupid yellow sign"

Cracked me up that one Big grin

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

JetService

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:20 am

A fender and bumper are different parts of the car anyway. The fender is another name for the quarterpanel. The bumper is just the bumper.
"Shaddap you!"

lekohawk

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:57 am

I think the fender is just the portion of the quarterpanel that is immediately surrounding the wheel well, and tends to "stick out" a little further. But, I'm no autobody guy, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

lehpron

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:10 am

Some people really get into their kids lives, unlike others. You will always see those this time of year, it is when fall semester gradesor fall quarter grade and mailed home or with the student. I think they don't give a damn for what you think, some people are proud. Absolutely nothing to do with being clever, you are simply frustrated by seeing them everywhere and 'clever' is why you think they do it -- hence you did this to yourself. Don't make assumptions, we're all guilty; just identify it and then deal with yourself.

Granted the "if you don't like it don't read it" cannot possibly apply here because you are driving, you'll see them. This is analogious to how the world reacts when the USA touts how great they are. This parent probably thinks they had an impact on their child's grades, is that not reasonable for them to tout their kid?

One solution among many: Get a kid, ramp them up, then brag right back!  Silly

Just don't say 'my kid is better than yours' because you do not really know and it just makes you feel better.

[Edited 2005-03-07 22:11:11]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

prosa

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:24 am

Then there's always
"I Suport Publik Skools"
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

DeltaGuy

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting Cptkrell (reply 27):
the somehow very popular "Baby On Board" bumper/window

...as if those stupid stickers are going to make me stop my speeding or slow down around their minivans  Silly

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

bill142

Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:03 am

I want to get a sticker which says "Yes this is my ute and no I won't help you move" I've seen a few cars with them but never found one in the shops.

bristolflyer

Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:17 am

I saw a 'Baby on Board' sticker in the back of a minivan in the UK a couple of months back and the driver was on her mobile driving really badly. She expects people to slow down/take more care yet she drives carelessly?

Yeah right!

BF

TACAA320

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:15 pm

I just buy one that says: "I hate bumper stickers".
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

JGPH1A

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Quoting SLC1 (reply 26):
well bumper bender doesn't rhyme

In (proper) English speaking countries, the term is "bumper-bashing".  Wink
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

707CMF

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:52 pm

I need a sticker that says "My other car is a Kilo Fox !"

Cheers,

7°7

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:13 am

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

xpat

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:25 am

I saw a good one yesterday: "My dog is smarter than your honor roll student"
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

PHLBOS

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:30 am

I couldn't stand those 'Baby On Board' signs that were out back in the mid-to-late '80s. I do like the parody signs that subsequently came out.

Some of the parody signs included:

Ex-girlfriend (or Ex-boyfriend) In Trunk

Mother-In-Law In Trunk

Of course those signs could entice someone to rear-end such vehicle.  Silly
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Banco

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting Lekohawk (reply 33):
I think the fender is just the portion of the quarterpanel that is immediately surrounding the wheel well, and tends to "stick out" a little further. But, I'm no autobody guy, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Really? I'm bit thrown by this, because I too always thought that Americans used fender where we use bumper. I thought "fender to fender" meant exactly the same as our "bumper to bumper". Is that not so, then?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

seb146

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:08 am

When I am working, I see a lot of stickers. I can not stand the ones about "My child is a perfect student at ****** School." So what? Does that make us jealous we don't send our kids there? Does that make you special because you have the sticker? I really want to ask how involved the parent is with their child. There is a war of sorts going on in the Portland area among those of us that have stickers:

Anyone with a "Yes on 36" or similar sticker are nice to each other if they see another car with similar stickers. Likewise for the "No on 36." But if those of us with one sticker see someone with the opposite sticker trying to change lanes in front of us or get a parking space, we ignore them.

My two favorite stickers are "Not all who wander are lost" and "Visualize Whirled Peas"

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

lehpron

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:56 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (reply 38):
She expects people to slow down/take more care yet she drives carelessly?

I doubt she expected anything from you, more like you think she expect something form you. Don't make the issue about you, that said people think about themselves first, that is why they put up stickers on their car, for them; they don't care about you. But that is why you are compaining because you thought about yourself. . If anything, she got it because she has a baby. That's it.

If she drives carelessly, that is her deal until it becomes bad for you. Yell all you want about her cell, it gets on my nerves how people use their cell while they drive and get so into their call and not pay attention to the road. If someone calls me, that is what the voicemail is for.  Smile

[Edited 2005-03-08 22:59:26]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

sacflyer

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:54 am

I want this one:

My honor roll student beat up the school bully!
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

UPS707

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:12 am

Quoting Xpat (Reply 43):
I saw a good one yesterday: "My dog is smarter than your honor roll student"

This is exactly what my wife has as her license plate frame on her car...

"My Border Collie is smarter than your honor Student"

So far the only comment we've had was from another BC owner who agreed and loved it!