PMN
Topic Author

Any A.Net Musicians Out There?

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:30 am

Hi All. I'm Paul from sunny old England. I've been visiting this site for a while and after countless hours spent on here until silly hours in the morning (2:29AM now!) I though I might as well join!

Just wondering if any of you play instruments, what they are and what kind of music you're all into. I'm a bass player and my favourite bands/artists are (in no particular order) Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Peter Gabriel, Sarah McLachlan and Keb' Mo'. How about you?
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

scottieprecord

RE: Any A.Net Musicians Out There?

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:39 am

I've played the saxophone for a good 4 1/2 years, both the alto and the tenor. I rented a trombone a couple of months ago, but that didn't work out too well.

-Mike

saxdiva

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:42 am

Hi, Paul,

A bunch of us are musicians. I play reeds (I know, big surprise), Logan22L is a bassist, I think Superfly plays a bit of guitar or bass... UAL747 is a pianist. There's a number of others who will probably chime in.

I'm primarily a jazz baritone saxophonist, but I also do a bit of legit playing (mostly on bass clarinet), pit work in shows, and I see some action in R&B horn sections. It keeps me out of trouble and covers vacation expenses a couple times a year.

-Leanne

pilot kaz

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:52 am

Yes  Smile

I play Electric Guitar and I do some drums.

Here is my guitar, Whole new set of strings today and all cleaned up and Stuff  Smile
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I Try to play all sorts, but big surprise my main focus in playing is Muse  Smile

I can play tracks from them such as:

New Born,
Escape,
Butterflies and Hurricanes,
Hysteria,
And many more....

I can also play,

Green Day stuff..Etc. American Idiot
Blink 182 Stuff.. The rock show, Small things, Down.

And sooo much more  Smile Always playing it love to learn new stuff hehe

Edit to add: I have been playing for around 2 years now  Wink and I own 2 other guitars which are Acoustic  Wink

thanks
Kaz x

[Edited 2005-03-06 04:01:20]
-

MD11Engineer

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:57 am

I play the five string banjo, mainly old time style American folk music (pre 1950s).

(for a joke in a 1940s suit with my 1920s Clifford Essex & Son banjo, Bond Street, London, natural skin and all)

Jan

Added picture

[Edited 2005-03-06 04:00:37]

[Edited 2005-03-06 04:01:46]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Airlinerfreak

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:57 am

I play the piano and have been playing it for a while now. I personally like the whole Rag Time era and also Peer Gynt. Nothing can beat Scott Joplin in my opinion.

allstarflyer

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:01 pm

In my profile I mention guitars. I love acoustic, but I wouldn't be against learning electric. I thought about the violin, too, since there are some women who love that, too  Wink.

-R
Living the American Dream

bananaboy

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:03 pm

I am the music man..
I come from up your way
and I can plaaaaaay, and I can plaaaaaay
 Wink

Piano
Clarinet
Tenor Sax

and (very badly) Bass Guitar

What type of music? Really depends on mood.. from Motown to Classical to Queen Kylie!

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

DfwRevolution

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:22 pm

Instruments I play-
French Horn for 9 years (real cool  biggrin  I know)

Favorite Composer-
Hummel
Holst

Bands/Groups I like-
Guster
Dispatch
Jimmy Eat World

UAL747

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:30 pm

Does this answer your question?

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

jcs17

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:49 pm

I blow the meatwhistle.

Regards,
AA61hvy.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

PilotJmartin

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:19 pm

I use to play Piano, I have an old Stineway & Sons Grand in my living room.

UAL747

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:22 pm

Quoting Jcs17 (reply 10):
I blow the meatwhistle.

Regards,
AA61hvy.

Real mature there JCS. I'm sure all of us appreciate it.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Soku39

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:25 pm

I play a good bit of bass. Main material? Yep, whatever rocks.
The Ohio Player

PilotJmartin

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:28 pm

I am thinking of selling my Piano, I can see that people pay big bucks for them on Ebay. Hummmmmmm

DeltaGuy

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:51 pm

I play a mean armpit fart.

Regards,
Ual747
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

SSTjumbo

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:54 pm

I'm a semi-pro trumpeter, keyboardist, and singer. I do all three in a band I'm in that'll be playing out this summer in the Chicagoland area.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

Mir

Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:44 pm

I've never been able to get good at an instrument (I've tried piano, cello and oboe), but I do sing.

I spent six years in the children's chorus at the Metropolitain Opera, and now I'm in the concert choir at the University of North Dakota. We have a European tour (Czech Republic and eastern Germany) coming up this May.

Pretty cool stuff, I have to say.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

concord977

Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:12 pm

- Oboe / English Horn

- Flute

- Harp

- Piano

I got my college degree in music performance, although I never pursued it professionally.
No info

copaair737

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:12 pm

I'm the lead vocals for my band, "The Rat Bastards". We're a punk band, that is more like 80s punk rather than the whiny, commercialized shit of today. I used to play lead guitar along with the vocals, but I have since found a better guitar player than me.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

jcs17

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:13 pm

Quoting UAL747 (reply 12):
Real mature there JCS. I'm sure all of us appreciate it.

Yeah, you only wish you could blow on my meatwhistle.  Yeah sure
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

AzoresLover

Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:43 pm

Piano, mainly. It was my major in college, I play mainly classical music. I got my degeree in Education, not performance. For performers here, UAL747 is a very accomplished pianist.

For orchestral instruments, I played oboe. I have played all the band instruments in one group or another, but oboe is definitely my favorite. I really enjoyed the symphonic parts for the oboe.

Airlinerfreak...I agree about Scott Joplin...I've got a book of his music here, and I really enjoy playing those pieces. One of my favorites of his is a piece called "Elite Syncopations". Have you ever played that one?

PMN - Saxdiva is right about there being quite a few musicians here. And, BTW, welcome to the site!

Saxdiva - I played bari sax in the jazz band in high school...I loved the instrument. I've enjoyed reading your posts about your playing experiences.

[Edited 2005-03-06 10:56:30]
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

HAWK21M

Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:05 pm

Does Whistling Musical tunes count  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

1MillionFlyer

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:37 pm

I sing as a hobby in Nashville, I actually got paid to sing a demo and have performed at a few places around town, I sure wish I could make a living doing it!
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

ozvirginuk

Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:33 am

I must have been separated from BananaBoy at birth,

I too play the Piano, Clarinet, and Sax (alto though). Also had years of voice training.

I love most styles of music. Mozart to Madonna, Sinatra to Steps, it's all good...

OZ

whitehatter

Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:45 am

I'm a crap guitarist. Got three of the bloody things.

I did have a mandolin I bought on EBay once whilst pissed and thinking I could be the next Peter Buck. That recently put in an encore on EBay and is no more as I could never manage to master it.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Thom@s

Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:49 am

I play a little guitar.

I've been invited to join a band as soon as I've learned how to play. Originally I was supposed to learn the Bass guitar, but after I went out drinking with the band, and ended up playing on the drums, they want me to learn how to play them instead... Big grin

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

UAL747

Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting JCS17 (reply 20):
Yeah, you only wish you could blow on my meatwhistle.

No, I don't play the piccolo.

UAL

DeltaGuy

Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:02 am

Ahh, then your speciality is the basoon, huh Ual747?

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

PacificWestern

Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:05 am

Quoting UAL747 (reply 27):
No, I don't play the piccolo.

ROTFL!!!!

Alto saxophone
Piano
Clarinet

Haven't played in a couple of years...not since my parents died. *shrug*

EGGD

Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:07 am

I play a bit of guitar when i'm bored. I have 3 and am in the process of buying a second amp (head/cabinet POWER BABY).

SmithAir747

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:34 am

I am a pianist; I have played for over 20 years. My piano is a 1914 Hobart M Cable upright grand, and I have played that for my entire musical career. I started lessons at age 9 in April 1984. I play classical, jazz, sacred/religious music, Celtic/Irish music, and more modern styles (eg. Star Trek themes, etc). I have played often for family, friends, and small public events. Recently I played for a medical-school awards ceremony at St. Thomas Hospital, London, and I will be playing tomorrow with the King's College London musical society for their concert at St. John's near Waterloo station. In high school in the USA, I played piano in the jazz band. To this day, I still have that old piano, and plan to keep it as long as possible.

I also play acoustic guitar. I have an Epiphone Hummingbird. I started lessons back in September 2001. I play for family, friends, and sometimes on camping trips and at church. When I came to London to attend King's College, I left my guitar at home in the USA; it would have been too much luggage (besides the 4 bags I brought with me). Someday I want to get a classical guitar, because I like to experiment with fingerpicking and play classical-style. When I get back home to the USA, I plan to dig out my Hummingbird and play it again.

As a youth (a LONG time ago), I was in school bands, and played the xylophone ("the bells"), snare drum, bass drum, tympani, marimba, and other percussion instruments as needed.

In my distant elementary-school days (3rd grade in 1985), I played the soprano recorder in music class. I still have my Suzuki soprano recorder in my archives.

Someday, I plan to decorate my future home (bachelor pad?) with musical instruments (my mother suggested it to me one day long ago, when we were at a restaurant in Fort Wayne, IN, which had instruments mounted all over its walls). My older siblings' old band instruments are still in our home, and I want to add those, as well as my old instruments (above) to my decor. While here in London, I'm looking for more interesting instruments at music shops and antique markets. I have found things like a bugle, an alto recorder, and a piano-style Melodica. Someday I want a Celtic harp (I'm Irish), a sitar, and other various ethnic instruments as well as other interesting instruments.
Wish me luck!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

srbmod

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:14 am

Quoting JCS17 (reply 20):

Yeah, you only wish you could blow on my meatwhistle. Yeah sure

Rumor has it that you're quite proficient playing solos on the skin flute!

flybyguy

Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:07 pm

To all the musicians... is it just an urban legend that only children can learn new instruments?

I was thinking about taking up the Cello, but I may be too old... 22years. Everyone I know has played an instrument since they were barely out of diapers.

What has really gotten me to fall in love with the Cello was the Adagio in Corelli's Christmas Concerto. The sound of the Cello in that piece was simply sublime.

Needless to say Yo-yo Ma is my hero.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

AzoresLover

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:02 pm

Flybyguy -

You can, and should, pick up an instrument any time. It isn't just for kids!! It's just traditional that instruments are mostly picked up in school, with most band classes starting when the student is around 10 years old. However, there are many kids who start MUCH younger than that...and many people that start later in life. The ability to learn an instrument is most definitely NOT tied to age. (Besides...you think 22 is OLD??? No sympathy from me...check out my profile! lol )

The cello is very difficult, as I'm sure you know. Do you have any musical background or knowledge or experience in your past...choirs, bands, music classes in school, etc? Or would you be starting from scratch?

Just get a good teacher to help you out, and go for it! Playing music is so satisfying, as the many musicians here will tell you. There are a lot of people here who perform regularly, as I'm sure you've noticed.

Good luck...and please don't let yourself get discouraged at the beginning if you don't think you're making as fast a progress as you would like. It takes time.

BTW, your profile says Ithaca. Are you at Cornell? When I was a music major at Ohio State, the father of one of my fellow students was a professor of music at Cornell.

Azores

edited: added Cornell reference

[Edited 2005-03-07 10:08:10]
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

707CMF

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:55 pm

I used to sing (in a choir - am a tenor-baritone), but I haven't found a good one since I moved to Paris.

I also play a bit the organ - I use a Yamaha PSR-550 at home, and play my fingers whenever I am allowed to play in a church or everywhere else that has at least 2 keyboards and pipes.

Cheers,

Superfly

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting Saxdiva (reply 2):
I think Superfly plays a bit of guitar or bass..

Yes I do and as you know, we do it deeper.  Smile

I also play guitar and cowbell.
Bring back the Concorde

Logan22L

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:19 am

Well, as saxdiva pointed out, I am a bassist. I play doublebass in a local symphony orchestra (not a professional orchestra, but a pretty good one). I also used to play jazz and various rock in the Boston/Eastern Massachusetts scene, but an injury to my ulnar nerve put me outta commission for 6 months.

I've re-learned how to play to minimize the use of my injured finger, but it took about a year to get back. I just played Bach's Brandenburg #4, Bartok's Piano Concerto #3 and Brahm's second Symphony last Saturday.

I also dabble in bass clarinet (I started in music on clarinet in 1975, and have played electric and acoustic guitar since 1977), 'cello, and viola. I own an electric piano, but I really use it mainly to construct chords and listen to various intervals for composition.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

NWADC9

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:05 am

harmonica (chromatic and diatonic)
violin
some piano
used to play the cello

I wish I knew how to play the steel drums...  Silly
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

saxdiva

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:18 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (reply 31):
Someday, I plan to decorate my future home (bachelor pad?) with musical instruments (my mother suggested it to me one day long ago, when we were at a restaurant in Fort Wayne, IN, which had instruments mounted all over its walls). My older siblings' old band instruments are still in our home, and I want to add those, as well as my old instruments (above) to my decor.

Hey, SmithAir--I had the same idea a few years ago, but I gave it an obnoxious twist: a repairman friend set me up with a bunch of junk horns, and we ran them over--I kid you not--with a steamroller. Here they are now:

Needless to say, they all play a little flat now.  smirk 

Pe@rson

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:37 am

I can sing......

Very badly.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Logan22L

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:04 am

Quoting Saxdiva (reply 39):
Needless to say, they all play a little flat now

"But seriously, folks, these are the jokes."  boggled 
 Wink
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

alasdaironeil

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:03 am

Acoustic Guitar for me, I love this instrument. But i also like to the the classical guitar and Electric.
失去在翻譯 - Lost in Translation

aerobalance

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:42 am

Drums for me.

I'll play any style, anywhere, anytime.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Superfly

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:57 am

Any whistle blowers here?
Bring back the Concorde

futureuapilot

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:57 am

-Piano

-Percussion
(practicing my Snare Solo for the State Solo/Ensamble Competition!  spin 

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

widget1580

Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:51 am

Viola! Not too shabby of a player either I took over first chair from Seniors when I was a freshman...... and the spot has stayed mine since then. Going on 5 years. And I play for youth honors orchestra....... 3rd chair, but it's all good.

I play percussion too........ bells, xylophone, you name it....... I can play violin and a little bit of cello too.

-Travis
KLM | Journeys of Inspiration

pilottj

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:29 pm

I play blues piano. I usually just like to sit down at a piano and just improv. I have played at blues bars and jam sessions or just messing around on the coffee shop piano.

Cheers
TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

NWADC9

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting FutureUApilot (reply 45):
-Piano

-Percussion
(practicing my Snare Solo for the State Solo/Ensamble Competition! spin

-Sam

You play the Sam? Wink
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.