mt99

Hobbits: Gay?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:39 am

I just watched "Return of the King" Extended version in all its 4+ hour glory (snore), and found tons homosexual moments. I was expecting Sam and Frodo to start making out any moment.

Comments?
Step into my office, baby

Falcon84

RE: Hobbits: Gay?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:48 am

LMAO. Right. And why would you be looking for "gay" moment? I mean, Sam Married Rosie in the end; if you read the books, and know anything about the mythical character of hobbits, you'd see they're very child-like (in some ways) affectionate creatures, given to open displays of emotion.

If you want to call that "gay" go ahead. I noticed no "gay" moments in any of the movies, just a bond between two young hobbits who went through hell and back.

Boy, you're ripe for picking by the Christian Coalition, and all their nonsense about Barney and Sponge Bob being gay as well.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

Rj111

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:55 am

Hehe, of course those hobbits are gay, why do you think they're so short?

TWFirst

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:00 am

Sean Astin is cute... but Elijah Wood is weird looking... so I wouldn't mind seeing Sean get it on with a hobbit... or an elf (Orlando Bloom)... but not Frodo.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:02 am

C'mon, TWFirst, why would Sam look at an elf when he can hump Rosie every night?  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

mt99

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:04 am

Ohh come on!

When Sam says to Frodo something like:

"If i were to marry anyone it would be ... [her]" I was expecting him to say

"If i were to marry anyone it would be, you"

I mean just the way that they were looking at each others eyes. Thats more gay than anything that Barney ever did!

Then they all jumped into bed with Frodo after he recovered...

"Sam Married Rosie in the end"

That doesn't mean anything. After all they need to procreate.

PS> I think Sam is the real hero in the Series.

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:09 am

Mt99, you're reallly looking for things if that's what you think is gay. I mean, I'm falling off my chair laughing my ass off! You sound like one of those nutjobs looking for gay things in Sponge Bob!

Then they all jumped into bed with Frodo after he recovered...

ROFL. Yeah, jumped in bed, talking to him, after a quick hug. That's REAL gay.

Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting Mt99 (reply 5):
Thats more gay than anything that Barney ever did!

Barney ! Now he's camper than a row of pink tents* as well as being the spawn of Beelzebub - We're all Super and we all love each other. HURRRLLLL ! PC fascist ! How they let that thing stay on TV is beyond me - Barf Along With Barney ! Way to teach kids about real life - NOT !!

*Not my own saying, I hasten to add - I saw on a.net and think it's brilliant
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:13 am

My kids grew up on Barney, and guess what: IT'S MADE JUST FOR KIDS, not up-tight parents who try to grasp some greater meaning out of it. I can remember my daughter watching it one day, and we went out shopping later that day, and she reminded me to look both ways before crossing, because Barney had said so that day.

Barney isn't for parents, it's for kids, and they don't have the hang-ups adults have. Adults who say the above are just idiots, imho.
Work Right, Fly Hard

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:14 am

Why is it that in this day and age everything has to be gay or a particular race or whatever. I mean who really gives a shit?

Remember the stink over Jar-Jar Binks being racist because he spoke ebonics? Who dreamed up that shit? Who cared?

Who cares if The Hobbits were gay? Were the Ewoks? Does anyone really give a rats hairy ass?

Everyone needs to just get over their issues with races, sexual orientation, etc. That goes for the pink team too. Not that many people really give a shit what your sexual orientation is, unless you make it an issue first.

I think I will organize a Straight Pride parade just to see if anyone cares. Maybe I will set up a new non-profit org. the NAAWP: The National Association for the Advancement of White People. Are gays so hard up for crap to worry about that now they need to concern themselves with the sexual orientation of fictional characters?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

agill

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:17 am

Well there are a lot of strange things with those hobbits. They all come from the same village and still they have very different accents. But the Sam-Frodo thing is funny. Maybe Sam is mostly attracted to Frodo when he has the ring of power. I mean once Frodo frodo throws that away Sam runs away and marries Rosie.

mt99

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 am

"ROFL. Yeah, jumped in bed, talking to him, after a quick hug. That's REAL gay."

DO you jump into bed with your friends? GAY!

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 am

Maybe I will set up a new non-profit org. the NAAWP: The National Association for the Advancement of White People.

Already one of those, Captoveur: http://www.naawp.com/ Maybe go join it,and don't forget to say Seig Heil, OK?  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:20 am

DO you jump into bed with your friends? GAY!

You've got a serious, serious problem, my friend. Go see help, immediately.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

mt99

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:20 am

". Are gays so hard up for crap to worry about that now they need to concern themselves with the sexual orientation of fictional characters?"

Whoa!.. The Straight people started this whole gay fictional carachter crap. Besides, this is supposed to be a light hearted thread. Take a midol man.

"You've got a serious, serious problem, my friend. Go see help, immediately"

Well.. do you?

[Edited 2005-03-08 17:21:59]

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:22 am

Quoting Falcon84 (reply 12):
Already one of those, Captoveur: http://www.naawp.com/ Maybe go join it,and don't forget to say Seig Heil, OK?

Wow.. I didn't mean to sound like a white supremacist.. How is the NAACP any different though?

I don't mean to take this off topic, I will shut the hell up now.

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:24 am

How is the NAACP any different though?

To quicky get off-topic, the diff, to me, is the NAACP isn't a group born of hatred, as the NAAWP is, which is just a front for Nazi's and KKK wannabe's. It was born of a desire to better blacks. The NAAWP is simply a hate group, in my view.

Back to our regularly scheduled subject, in getting mt99 some serious help.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:26 am

Quoting Falcon84 (reply 8):
Barney isn't for parents, it's for kids, and they don't have the hang-ups adults have. Adults who say the above are just idiots, imho.

Yes it is, but if I had kids, I'd want them to watch something with

a) some actual intellectual content, not mindless hugging and gormless "It's good to share" commie-pinko bollocks. Especially in the US, where not even the Democratic Party dreams that that'll ever happen.

b) the decency not to take itself TOO seriously. Perfect multi-ethnic children with perfect hair, great teeth and no visible scars (no doubt with ghastly hyperactive stage-mommies just off camera yelling at them to "smile, Britney, smile, the casting director for Sesame Street might be watching, that's college tuition paid right there !") living in a trouble free, pain free world where everyone is reasonable and just lurrvvvvs everyone else ? Gimme a break. It's just nauseating. There has to be a less intellectually offensive way to teach road safety.

"Teletubbies" is for kids, that's mindless goo as well but for 18 month-olds it's fine. And it takes the mick of itself just a tiny bit. But for 5,6,7 year olds, it's OK for TV to challenge them just a little bit, not pretend the world can be made all better by a giant purple LSD-induced dinosaur.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

gkirk

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:30 am

CNN is reporting that the real identity of Barney the dinosaur is none other than a.net's very own JGPH1A
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:31 am

Yes it is, but if I had kids, I'd want them to watch something with

Plenty of that on TV, isn't there? What is so wrong with just letting the kids have FUN on their own for a bit, watching something as harmless as Barney?
Work Right, Fly Hard

jasepl

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:32 am

Quoting JGPH1A (reply 7):
*Not my own saying, I hasten to add - I saw on a.net and think it's brilliant

That would be one of mine - though I probably heard it somewhere myself. Still, I'm claiming credit!

CaptOveur

I am still organizing that straight pride parade.

mt99

"Back to our regularly scheduled subject, in getting mt99 some serious help."

Falcon, "YES" or "NO".. Do you jump into bed with your male friends?

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:35 am

mt99, YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT A FICTIONAL CHARACTER CALLED HOBBITS!! They are, if you read about them, a very child-like race!

WHAT ARE YOU MAKING SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT FOR?

Seek help, right now!

God, this is hilarious!  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:36 am

Quoting Mt99 (reply 22):
Falcon, "YES" or "NO".. Do you jump into bed with your male friends?

Of course, yes
Signed, Falcon84

Sorry couldnt help it  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:37 am

Quoting Mt99 (reply 22):
Do you jump into bed with your male friends?

No, but I am not a hobbit either.

Does anyone care if they are gay? How do you know one of them isn't female?

I sure don't know what a female Hobbit looks like.

mt99

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:39 am

"WHAT ARE YOU MAKING SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT FOR / SBFZ), Brazil">FOR?"

Because its funny!. My friends and i had a blast pointing out these moments, and i thought id share my good times with you guys..

Ok, since you are not responding.. can i assume? (im thinking the answer is "NO")

"I sure don't know what a female Hobbit looks like."

The one Sam maries.. thats a girl.. they have boobs.

Hopefully you dont have the same problem identifying girls

[Edited 2005-03-08 17:41:49]

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:41 am

No, I do not, but I"m not a hobbit, am I? Apparently hobbits do. That doesn't make them gay, but it makes you and your friends extremely wierd.
Work Right, Fly Hard

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting Falcon84 (reply 19):
Plenty of that on TV, isn't there? What is so wrong with just letting the kids have FUN on their own for a bit, watching something as harmless as Barney?

My point is that it's NOT harmless - it's teaching children values and expectations that the big ugly cruel old world will shatter for them - in real life, Barney can't magic it better, fix your toys, make that obnoxious kid at kindergarten who knocks you over and takes your toys, into a little ray of singing, dancing sunshine. Kids are not stupid, but that type of saccharine vapidity is insidious. Seriously, I don't like it at all, I'd much rather kids watch Dora the Explorer or something with a little creativity. Oh, and NOT Caillou - whiny snotnose little shit. THAT kid needs a smack on the head !

(I just spent 10 days in the US with my small nieces and nephew, and so I got to watch a LOT of Noggin).

Quoting Gkirk (reply 18):
CNN is reporting that the real identity of Barney the dinosaur is none other than a.net's very own JGPH1A

Right, chummy - that's ANOTHER Fatwa for you - that's two so far, don't make me come over there...

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:15 am

My point is that it's NOT harmless - it's teaching children values and expectations that the big ugly cruel old world will shatter for them - in real life

ROTFL.  Silly You mean values like looking before crossing? Using a "indoor voice" indoors, and an "outdoor voice" outdoors? About being friends? About telling the truth? THOSE bad values. Give me a freaking break, man. You've got some serious problems with what to teach a kid, I think. Sounds to me like your type of "values" is to kick the shit out of everyone who rains in his/her parade. Sorry, I'll stick with the "values" taught on Barney, not yours.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Banco

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting JGPH1A (reply 28):
My point is that it's NOT harmless - it's teaching children values and expectations that the big ugly cruel old world will shatter for them - in real life, Barney can't magic it better, fix your toys, make that obnoxious kid at kindergarten who knocks you over and takes your toys, into a little ray of singing, dancing sunshine. Kids are not stupid, but that type of saccharine vapidity is insidious. Seriously, I don't like it at all, I'd much rather kids watch Dora the Explorer or something with a little creativity. Oh, and NOT Caillou - whiny snotnose little shit. THAT kid needs a smack on the head !

Don't know whether you ever got to see these when you were growing up, but when I was a kid they used to show these "dramas" (ha!) about groups of kids doing things like wandering on to a farm to play, or something. Cue all of them being killed in truly horrible ways, like drowning in slurry, being impaled on forklifts, crushed by machinery and so on. It was terrifying. Of course, the point being made was "Don't go and play on farms or building sites, but bloody hell, it scarred me! Twenty-five years on I remember it vividly. No horror film has ever scared the shit out of me like that so-called "childrens" film.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting Falcon84 (reply 29):
Sounds to me like your type of "values" is to kick the shit out of everyone who rains in his/her parade. Sorry, I'll stick with the "values" taught on Barney, not yours.

Not true at all - I'd want my kids to learn that they have to deal with problems themselves, not hope some giant stuffed animal will sort them out with a group hug and an emetic song. And I hope I won't rely on TV to teach my kids about yelling indoors and looking both ways before crossing the street - that would be MY job.

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:23 am

Not true at all - I'd want my kids to learn that they have to deal with problems themselves, not hope some giant
Work Right, Fly Hard

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:30 am

Don't know how one post ended up looking like two, but I don't have time t odeal with it now. Just suggest deletion of both.
Work Right, Fly Hard

skyservice_330

Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:59 am

Quoting Mt99 (reply 26):
My friends and i had a blast pointing out these moments, and i thought id share my good times with you guys..

This has Freudian written all over it. Definately some things going on under the surface if you and your friends are sitting around and watching for these things.

Banco

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:01 am

Mt99, ever wish you'd never started a thread?  laughing 
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Klaus

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:26 am

It´s weird how some presumably straight people are more obsessed with gay issues than gay people themselves. Weird, indeed...  scratchchin 

Thom@s

Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:30 am

People seem to forget that Middle Earth isn't filled with judgemental people who only focus on "is he gay or not"...  Yeah sure

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

mt99

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:57 am

"This has Freudian written all over it. Definately some things going on under the surface if you and your friends are sitting around and watching for these things."

Under the surface? it as a room full of gay guys, what do you expect?

mdl21483

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
It´s weird how some presumably straight people are more obsessed with gay issues than gay people themselves. Weird, indeed...

Some people use that as their way of not actually being it, although quite honestely, it's gonna just make things worse for them eventually. GET THAT ARSE OUT OF THE CLOSET, GIRFRIEND!

I used to have a few links to some picture sites on this subject, which were funny as hell! Including a really nice one of Eowin and Arwin together. Now THOSE I'd love to see on the side of a NZ 744!

~Melanie~
From the shores of the sea we have come afar, we have risen high, among the stars.

lehpron

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:13 pm

I admit I thought that way, I suppose the writters were emphasising how old-fashion friendships were when people were not afraid of looking or appearing gay, that was not an issue back then, even in the story.

Nowadays there's all this male macho crap everywhere, this stupid need to look like other guys along with this stupid fear to appear gay. Like I'm not gay but I prefer being around female friends only because I don't like guys that much so I got the hobbit thing about me only if you get to know me. Otherwise I'm ghetto.

Yeah the smiles and the stares were...entertaining.  Smile I don't mind sitting for hours, I usually don't go out for movies so I really get into what I watch when I do go. Same with TV.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.