USAFHummer
Topic Author

Official A.net Ncaa Tourney Bracketology Thread...

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:33 pm

With the first wave of mid-major conference tournaments coming to a close and the major ones about to start, I think its about time we got a thread going on this...here are a list of teams that have gained automatic tickets to the dance by winning their conference tourney or regular season title in case of no tourney:

UPenn - Ivy League
Eastern Kentucky - Ohio Valley
Central Florida - Atlantic Sun
Winthrop - Big South
Chattanooga - Southern
Louisiana Lafayette - Sun Belt
Oakland (12-18 record!) - Mid-Continent
Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Horizon
Gonzaga - West Coast

Any thoughts on the upcoming conference tourneys and future bracket seedings?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Usairwys757

RE: Official A.net Ncaa Tourney Bracketology Thread...

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Definate #1 seeds to UNC and Illinois at this point. Wake Forest will also probably recieve one. I cant decide who should get the other one though.

Watch out for UConn, they are playing really good basketball right now.

But the Heels should be celebrating in St. Louis this year. I hope so anyways.....  crossfingers 
Inactive.....

KROC

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 1):
But the Heels should be celebrating in St. Louis this year. I hope so anyways.....

Yeah, lets hope!  vomit 

Usairwys757

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:55 pm

Dont be bitter KROC, its only the inevitable. So learn to deal with it.  Wink
Inactive.....

Falcon84

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:35 pm

I couldn't believe Oakland had the record they did. My BG Falcons went up there earlier this year-BG is like 19-11, but Oakland beat BG by 30 point!

I'll worry about the bracketology after I watch all 7 games of the MAC Tournament at the Gund in downtown CLE beginning tomorrow afternoon and ending Saturday night. 7 games for $80 bucks. Can't beat that for good basketball. GO BG!!  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

electraBob

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:03 pm

Looks like the Oakland U Golden Grizzlies will have to play in the play-in game next week in Dayton .....imagine, having to win a play-in game to get a #16 seed.

University of Detroit Mercy would have gotten in to the tourney with a 15-15 record had they beat Wisconsin-Milwaukee last night....they lost, 59-58.

It's time to get my ANYBODY BUT DUKE T-shirt out of the drawer.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

xjramper

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:49 am

Falcon, you cheer for the falcons? Good man....graduated with Jon Floyd. Great basketball player.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:58 am

Quoting ElectraBob (Reply 5):

It's time to get my ANYBODY BUT DUKE T-shirt out of the drawer.

Can you point me in the direction of where to get one of those?

Greg

deltairlines

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:27 am

$80 for 7 games Falcon? Sure beats the heck out of the $325 I'm paying for the ACC Tournament (then again, it is the ACC tournament...)

As for one seeds: Illinois, UNC, Wake, Kentucky. Only thing that stops Wake from a one is Friday - they'll likely play NC State (if not FSU), without Chris Paul. Then again, there is Taron Downey, who would be starting at the point for the vast majority of teams in D1. Kentucky - same thing, win one game in the SEC tourney, they lock it up.
Twos will go to Duke (if they win the whole ACC Tournament, then they might move up, but it's doubtful), BC, Kansas, and Oklahoma State.

And also, if you could tell me where I could find a Anybody But Duke shirt, I'd appreciate it.

Jeff

Mikey711MN

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:55 am

My Top Four Teams per Region:

1. Illinois
2. Arizona
3. Louisville*
4. Connecticut

1. North Carolina
2. Kansas
3. Boston College*
4. Alabama

1. Kentucky
2. Duke
3. Michigan State*
4. Oklahoma

1. Wake Forest
2. Oklahoma State
3. Washington
4. Gonzaga

* ripe for getting upset in the first round

Go Gophs!
-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:27 am

I think Gonzaga is another likely high seed that will get kicked out early...depending on how the seedings go though, I can't imagine any 14's upsetting a 3, or upsets of greater magnitude (15 over 2, 16 over 1)...usually a 13 takes out a 4 though at least once...

Greg

mdsh00

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:30 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 7):
Can you point me in the direction of where to get one of those?

alert I'd like one too.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Falcon84

Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:37 pm

Well, headed down to Gund Arena, which may not be named Gund Arena much longer, for a full day of tournament action. My bro's alma mater, Toledo is in game one, and mine, Bowling Green, in game 3. It's always a good time my bro, my dad and I have for those three days, altho my bro can't go to the semi-finals, so my oldest son is going with us.

If you ever get a chance, and if there's a conference tourney near you, you really should check it out. It's some of the best sports you'll ever see.
Work Right, Fly Hard

USAFHummer
Topic Author

RE: Official A.net Ncaa Tourney Bracketology Threa

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:16 am

Well...the Big 12 tourney is upon us, and my 11th seeded Buffs are taking on #6 Texas in Kansas City, whom we beat during the regular season 88-79 in Boulder...is an upset in the cards? I don't know, but I do have this for you, Texas:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/BuffsandEagles/DSCF0042.jpg

GO BUFFS!

Greg

copaair737

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:23 am

Big upset for the day, BC just got knocked out of the Big East tourney by WVU. I see that as a big upset, but thats me. In the MAC tourney, I'm rooting for Akron. Sorry, but I just feel they're going to take it. Also, look for UTEP to get upset tonight by Hawai'i.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

tbar220

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:35 am

Boy, I'm a huge Illinois fan and we've never been in a position like this. Its nervewracking, this will either be the best season of college basketball for us or the most dissapointing. Oh how I love March Madness Big grin Big grin

#1 teams? My picks are Illinois, North Carolina, Louisville, and Kentucky. I would put Louisville and Kentucky over Duke and Wake Forest. And the fact that it would be weird to see three #1 seeds from the ACC. AND the fact that we womped on Wake Forest when they were #1.

The tourney needs to start!!!
NO URLS in signature

copaair737

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:37 am

Oh, It looks like Montana made it in to the tourney as the Big Sky champions. It was empty as hell at that game yesterday. I'm going to say that Nevada will be surprised by somebody in the WAC tourney. Maybe Fresno State? Naw, the Dawgs aren't going to surprise anyone this tourney.  Sad

-Copa

aa61hvy

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:43 am

A-10 is intense, Dayton whaled on St. Bonneventure (sp) they play Temple tonight, big game.....I don't think GW will win the A-10 though, my money is on Dayton, or St. Joes
Go big or go home

allstarflyer

Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:17 pm

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 1):
But the Heels should be celebrating in St. Louis this year. I hope so anyways.....

Here's to Illinois overcoming their deficencies in defending down low. I'd love to see their guard play rip apart a team like UNC. Love how they crushed Wake Forest.

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 9):
2. Arizona

After Illinois and Duke, I cheered for Lute Olson's teams. I suffered when they would lose to E. Tennessee St. and Santa Clara in the 1st rd. Zona v. Kentucky for the title in '97 was the best game I've ever seen (even over Duke v. UNLV in '91). But they are not #1 material this year. Love how you put Duke and Kentucky in the same bracket, though. Those two always give a great game in the tournament.

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 15):
Boy, I'm a huge Illinois fan and we've never been in a position like this.

Yeah, I agree. Somehow, in '89, I figured something bad might happen. Augustine has to step up somehow and be a defensive force down low.
Living the American Dream

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:52 pm

What a stunning upset!!!!! 11th seeded Colorado defeats 6th seeded Texas, 81-69, marking the first time an 11 has ever beaten a 6 in the Big 12 tourney!!!! Of course, tomorrow night, we get Oklahoma State, where we will...undoubtedly get blown out really badly, so sorry OSU fans, no taunting pictures for that one...

Greg

Airlinerfreak

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:24 pm

My opinion watch out for Arizona they are quietly coming along. As much as I hate to say it they may get a one seed if they can hold out tomorrow which I am not too sure they will. I think they may be over confident. Also UCLA is out of the tourny it looks like if anyone cares. They choked. You can also blame it on the lack of experience in their starting line up though. Also Greg, I am sorry to break it to ya but good things have to come to an end sometime, expect Colorado to lose tomorrow.

copaair737

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:44 pm

Huge upset in the WAC tonight, as #1 seed Nevada gets knocked off by Boise State with a layup with 1.8 seconds left. Definitely makes the road to the NCAAs easier for Fresno State (my team). If things go the way they are, the WAC could get three teams, as Nevada is a lock regardless of what happened, UTEP looks tough, and Fresno has come out surprisingly strong. Also, the Stanford-Wazzu game was a thriller.

-Copa

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:15 pm

So...West Virginia appears to be on a roll, stunning Villanova today...can they go for 3 ranked teams in a row and beat Syracuse in the Big East championship?

My Buffs came oh so close to pulling off a stunning upset and beating OSU...considering that the 11th ranked Cowboys came to Boulder a few weeks ago and beat us by 18, I was amazed that we only lost by 2, and we could have beaten them on a last second 3...pissed that the local TV station f***ed up the coverage so I missed the last few seconds of the game, but anyways...this is a good sign for the Buffs for next season, we should be a sleeper surprise in the Big 12 next year, since we lose no one and the current team has had a year to come together and a strong finish in the Big 12 tourney...

Greg

allstarflyer

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Being from Illinois, we have so little in our collegiate sports as of late. But it's nice to see the Illini rebound and whip N'Western after the upset they suffered on Saturday. Here's to Weber (my condolences to him and his family after losing his mother after the game) and the gang rolling through Ohio State on the way to the Big Ten Championship and then even more.

-R
Living the American Dream

Falcon84

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:52 pm

Just came back from The Gund, and seeing one of the great games I've ever witnessed. MAC Freshman of the Year, Leon Williams, put in an off-balance tip-in with :05 to go in OT, to give Ohio an 80-79 win over Buffalo.

That ball had no business going in-the tip looked like it was going to roll off the basket, but somehow found enough 'mo to roll over the lip, and in, capping off a comeback that saw OU down 19 to the Bulls in the 2nd half.

A heartbreaker for the Bulls, who only 2 years ago won only 5 games. At 22-9, even with that loss, they certainly should be in the tournament, but I figure Maryland at 16-12 will get more consideration than they do.

Exceptional, exceptional basketball game.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:04 am

Hey everyone,

I set up a Pick-Em Group on Yahoo for anyone interested in a little friendly competition. First, start at http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men and click on the "Sign Up" button to create a team. After completing registration, or if you already have a team, click the "Create or Join Group" button and follow the path to join an existing private group. Then, when prompted, enter the following information...

Group ID#: 38835
Password: anet

Hope that works...I think the group is capped at 50 so there's plenty of room.

-Mike

tbar220

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:21 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 18):
Here's to Illinois overcoming their deficencies in defending down low. I'd love to see their guard play rip apart a team like UNC. Love how they crushed Wake Forest.

Yes! An Illinois fan, didnt' think I'd ever see it. We're so frustrated with how little respect we got all season, and we HATE Digger Phelps. It would be real nice to win the Big Ten tournament final this afternoon against Wisconsin, tough times for Bruce Weber.
NO URLS in signature

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:49 am

Thanks for starting that up Mike, I'm in!

Greg

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:23 am

Awesome, Greg! I hope others sign up as well...brackets are always a good time!

My Revised Top Four Teams per Region: (edited based on Conference Tournament results)

1. Illinois
2. Washington
3. Kansas
4. Boston College

1. North Carolina
2. Louisville
3. Connecticut
4. Florida

1. Duke
2. Kentucky
3. Syracuse
4. Gonzaga

1. Oklahoma State
2. Wake Forest
3. Arizona
4. Michigan State

Man, I just love this time of year!!!

-Mike

SLC1

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:24 am

3. Washington

2. Washington

BS...we're number #1, bwahahahahahaah
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:34 am

Quoting SLC1 (Reply 29):
BS...we're number #1, bwahahahahahaah

True enough...now put them winning it all in your bracket on the a.net tourney pick-em group. Unless, of course, you don't think they'll finish #1.  Wink

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:48 am

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:48 am

Well...this is going to be the toughest tourney bracket I've ever filled out...that Syracuse Regional is loaded, as well as the Austin Regional...and the other 2 have some tough choices...gonna take me some time to think this one through...

Greg

S12PPL

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:50 am

How Washington gets a #1 seed is beyond me. And how the hell does UCLA get in??? Oregon State finished above them in the Pac 10 tournament, AND beat them twice this year. Ridiculous.

UCLA can't ride it's own coat tails forever.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 33):
How Washington gets a #1 seed is beyond me

This could be the year for the 16 to finally beat the 1...the Montana fans will be driving to Boise from Missoula in force for that game I imagine...

Greg

SLC1

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 33):
How Washington gets a #1 seed is beyond me.

Because we kicked ass that's why! Take that Stanford, take that 'Zona (with their piddly little 3 seed). Seriously, though, I was shocked myself.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

SLC1

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:56 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 34):
This could be the year for the 16 to finally beat the 1...the Montana fans will be driving to Boise from Missoula in force for that game I imagine...

Oh, that's a load of crap.  Smile

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:05 am

Well, frankly, you could take Washington and literally any of the #2 seeds and stick them as that fourth #1 and have an equally compelling case. I think the Committee did right in giving it to the team that enters the Tournament the hottest and with the most credentials (both the regular season and tournament conference championship).

In any case, go GOPHERS!!!  Smile
-Mike

SLC1

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 37):
you could take Washington and literally any of the #2 seeds and stick them as that fourth #1 and have an equally compelling case

Actually, probably a more compelling case.

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 37):
In any case, go GOPHERS!!!

one of my best friends from MSP will agree with you, interesting to see what happens if my some freak coincidence UW ends up playing either Utah or UM.

Sorry, I'm just coming off a high, frankly I was hoping for a 2 seed.

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:14 am

Well, the rep of the ACC preceeds them, when a team like NC State, at 18-13, makes it in, when some more deserving teams, with better records-and I'll use a team I saw play in person this week, the Buffalo Bulls, at 22-9, with a very good RPI, who don't make it.

There were 70 teams with 20 or more wins this year, and, I really believe, to bring better integrity to the process, no team with less than 20 wins should be considered for an at-large bid, unless there aren't enough 20-win teams to fill the bracker. A team 5 games over .500, like NC State, should not even get consideration.
Work Right, Fly Hard

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:33 am

Quoting SLC1 (Reply 36):
Oh, that's a load of crap. Smile

I knew you'd like that Big grin

Greg

aa61hvy

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:35 am

Anyone know when the NIT teams will get the invites?
Go big or go home

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:36 am

Ok, here we go March Madness!!!

On the home front..
Wisconsin should take care of Northern Iowa- and I like their next round match-up with struggling Kansas.

UWM in the 5/12 spot is in a prime spot to upset Alabama!!!

Of the seedings, the thing that jumped out at me was seeing Louisville as a #4. That is a joke- they should be a 2 at worst! 4 losses. C-USA regular season. C-USA tournament. what more could you ask for?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:41 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 39):
...no team with less than 20 wins should be considered for an at-large bid, unless there aren't enough 20-win teams to fill the bracket.

Well, I think the Committee does a decent job identifying a "quality win" versus just those that show up in the "W" column. At face value, a win against Duke is equal to that against Savannah State, but in reflection of how good a particular team is, that's a pretty fleeting barometer.

Having said that, to play Devil's advocate here, if such a policy were in place, there would be zero motivation for major conference schools to play each other in non-conference play, hence most of those teams would all have a higher overall win count because they'd schedule a bunch of pansies to beat up on just to reach the number 20 by the end of the season. To that end, the mid- and minor-conference teams, all of whom would have a significantly more difficult non-conference schedule, since major-conference teams would hastily schedule them, would end up with a lower overall win count. Applying that situation to the two teams you mention, NC State would end up with over 20 and Buffalo under 20 under this scenario, thus the end result is the same: NCSU in, UB out.

Just my two cents,
Mike

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:48 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 41):
Anyone know when the NIT teams will get the invites?

Somehow some already have received them...such as Marquette, who was scheduled to play Western Michigan at home in the first round as of yesterday: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/marq/mar05/309033.asp

So there must be others...

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:57 am

Well, I think the Committee does a decent job identifying a "quality win" versus just those that show up in the "W" column.

Oh, please! Showing up in the "W" column is ultimately how you win a national title, is it not?  Silly

Why reward mediocrity, as in NC State this year, who only won 5 more than they lost, even if they're in a good conference. Why not reward excellence, no matter what the conference.

In '02, my Alma Mater, Bowling Green, was 24-6; they won the MAC regular season, and lost an OT game to eventual Tourny Champ Miami in the first round. Indiana State, on the other hand, didn't win 20; didn't win their Conference regular season or tournament, and BG beat ISU in the regular season. ISU got in, simply for politics, because an AD from their conference sat on the selection committee. ISU got pounded in the first round. They didn't belong. BG was, easily, a more deserving team.

My point is this: if you are under .500 in your conference, as NC State is, you don't win your conference, you don't win your tourney, and you don't crack 20 wins, why are you being rewarded?

And also, the majors are loathed to play mid-majors to begin with, so the Mid-Majors are screwed either way. They're told "you need a great RPI and out of conference schedule to get in", but then the big boys refuse to play them, unless it's in a holiday tourney, or on their home court.

I'll give you another example. In '92 or so, my best friend from BG and I went to see BG host #4 Michigan State. BG beat the shit out of the Spartans, and Judd Heathcoat said "I won't scheudle them anymore". So what's a mid-major to do? Hard to get a good RPI when the big boys are pussies and won't put their rep on the line on the road, isn't it?

Again, don't reward mediocrity. Reward success. Reward a Buffalo, who, 2 years ago, was 5-23, and this year was 22-9, and lost an automatic bid on an incredible tip-in, at the buzzer, in OT!
Work Right, Fly Hard

Tom in NO

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:59 am

Mike,
I'm in, as well. Thanks for setting up the group!

Looks like another great year of March Madness coming up. That Syracuse bracket does look tough.

I'm looking for my LSU Tigers to do some damage in the Chicago bracket. Nice to see Louisiana also represented with LA-Lafeyette and SE Louisiana from just across the lake in Hammond.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

tbar220

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:59 am

Wow, Louisville got screwed. They had a great season and did what they had to and only got placed #4.

I'm just happy that Illinois beat Wisconsin again to go 3-0 against them this season (take that Badgers). Life is good when the Badgers lose  Silly
NO URLS in signature

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:18 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 47):
Life is good when the Badgers lose

HEY!! thats not nice!!

I'm actually gonna be picking/pulling for Illinois to win it all and represent the Big Ten well. They really can play with anyone- an up and down shooting matchup, or a grind it out game like today.

..and Tbar220...lets play football!  Smile
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Mikey711MN

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:27 am

Falcon84,

I understand your point, but again, if the goal of a school is to simply get to the 20 win mark, the concept of how they would go about scheduling would fundamentally change. The majors would not schedule each other in the name of beating up on the mid-majors and minors, in which case, the NC State's of the world would then [presumably] get to 20 wins and the Buffalo's of the world would not.

So if the end result is the same, what's the point of changing the system? Not to mention the decidely lower interest in the first two months of the season (read: lower revenues) since non-conference schedules would consist largely of whoopin's.

There's a Buffalo in every tournament. It doesn't make it right, but it is what it is. As long as there is some subjective process in determining the 65, someone seemingly deserving is bound to be left out. Even if they got beat in OT by an inconceivable tip-in.

-Mike