Superfly
Topic Author

Sad News: Ford Thunderbird Production Ends In July

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:52 am

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ap_on_bi_ge/thunderbird_retirement

I think timing was bad for this car. During a recession, it's hard for brand like Ford to sale a 2-seater that goes for more than $40,000.
Had this car came out in 1998, it would have had much more success.

The Ford Thunderbird was supposed to go out of production in 2006 but the July will be it.

Bring back the Concorde

KROC

RE: Sad News: Ford Thunderbird Production Ends In July

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:58 am

Sad news but what do you expect from a car whose sales were lagging?

ltbewr

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:58 am

I am surprised that this car wasn't terminated from production last year. It seemed nice at the time, but once the old fart and trendy women market got theirs, then there was no more market. Being a 2 seater without being a very fast car (like the Corvette), or without 1.0 lateral skidpad numbers, then it was doomed.

PHLBOS

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:09 am

From the article:

Ford had planned to discontinue the Thunderbird after the 2005 or 2006 model year but told employees Thursday production will end in July.

Unfortunately, the handwriting was on the wall for this T-bird. As Superfly stated, had the car come out a few years earlier; it would have sold better. During a recession period, sales of unique or special sporty vehicles are usually the first ones to feel the pinch.

Ford's partly to blame for this. They just took a little too long to introduce the vehicle into production. Wasn't it originally supposed to come out in 2000?
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 3):
They just took a little too long to introduce the vehicle into production. Wasn't it originally supposed to come out in 2000?

You are right. I remember going to a Ford dealer in 2000 and a salesman was telling us the Thunderbird was coming back. At the time I thought he was either on crack or just saying something to keep us engaged in conversation with him. My girlfriend was looking at Mustangs at the time.

This car seemed to have the same curse that the Edsel had when it was launched.
Also people who aren't effected by the recession and have an extra $45K to spend on a toy (the rich) will never consider buying a Ford. Average income folks that would dish out that much cash on a vehicle would rather buy something that had more space and uses such as a Excursion or Expedition.

This car should have had the 4.6 or even 5.4 optional. That could have gone against the Corvette as they both originally competed when they first came out.

The Wixom plant which opened in 1956 build my car. Last summer at a family reunion, I met many relatives from Detriot and many of them work for 'the big tree'. I met a distant relative that was a retired Ford employee that used to work at the Wixom plant during the 1970s and 1980s. I had to pick his brain apart and ask him tons of questions.  Smile
He build my car! Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

Stretch 8

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:12 am

From what I read about the renaissance T-bird, it was hobbled by quality problems. That, and a too-expensive sticker, was a double whammy.

Besides, the real T-bird was last seen in 1976.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:16 am

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 5):

Damn right! Big grin

Although I do like the Torino-based (77-79) versions especially the Town Landau and Heritage Editions.
I have many childhood memories riding from Gary to ORD / KORD), USA - Illinois">ORD in the back of a dark blue Town Landau Thunderbird.  Cool

[Edited 2005-03-11 19:17:03]
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:39 am

I saw a new 'Bird in a deep, almost military green, yesterday. Pretty slick.

The article on Yahoo! claimed that total production has been about 54K units.

And I second the motion for the Torino/LTD II based 'Bird. I'll take a '78 black and chamois one, any day.

Oh, Superfly, here's a link for a local classic lincoln dealer..I drove by the place, and figured you'd dig it: http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

prosa

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:48 am

Hopefully Ford will bring back the Thunderbird name on a better car in the future.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:01 am

Tranks for the link TriStarEnvy!
I'd love to visit Land of Lincoln. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:25 am

Cool place. They had a '58 convertible in the showroom for a while. There's a Mark V, in there now.

Back to T-bird Talk, I'm surprised they consider it a failure. Must be the production-to-profit margin is low. I see these things, everywhere.

It's time for US carmakers to resurrect that great class of car that was so big in the 70's, the "personal luxury coupe". As in Cordoba/Elite/Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Magnum/Cougar XR-7, and the rest.....

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:49 am

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 10):
It's time for US carmakers to resurrect that great class of car that was so big in the 70's, the "personal luxury coupe". As in Cordoba/Elite/Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Magnum/Cougar XR-7, and the rest.....

Sad to see that market no longer exist. The Eldorado hung in there for a long time but that's now gone too.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

CaptOveur

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:17 am

No great loss. Taking all the good parts of say 50 years of a names history and shoving them all together in one new car doesn't make something especially good looking. Personally, I thought the thing was ugly and I never heard anyone raving about its performance. Nevermind the fact it was horribly overpriced.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 10):
It's time for US carmakers to resurrect that great class of car that was so big in the 70's, the "personal luxury coupe"

It is sad but in today's car market if it doesn't sit 4 feet off the ground and offer 4wd nobody will buy it
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

L-188

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:21 am

They could have had a real trendy competitor to the Miata, if they had kept the price tag down.

If they could have made it a 20K car then it would have done much better.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

tristarenvy

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:24 am

True, but the Eldo was a true luxury car, like the Mark's and "Slantback" Imperial.

The "personal luxury car"was for us middle class folks who couldn't afford a Caddy, but wanted to have a car that might be MISTAKEN for one.

Even the little guys got in on it!

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:33 am

TriStarEnvy:
Dude, for some reason, those AMC Concord DL coupes are going for a lot of money! There always a bidding war and they sell for over $4,000.
The Eagle wagons go for about the same in beat up condition.
I know from experience driving my friends Eagle wagon, they have excellent road manners and are very soft and quiet inside. The Concord DL Coupes had even more comfort and luxurious features. Yet these cars were small and had very tight turning radius.

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 12):
It is sad but in today's car market if it doesn't sit 4 feet off the ground and offer 4wd nobody will buy it

Please don't remind us.  Sad
I think it's sacrilege to put the Mark nameplate on a F-150 pick up and call it a Lincoln.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

PHLBOS

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:53 am

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 5):
Besides, the real T-bird was last seen in 1976.

The '72-'76 Big Birds was also known as the Poor Man's Mark IV. To be sure, there are some that think the '77 T-Bird should been called the Elite. After all, the T-Bird name was transferred to the same platform; that's why there was a significant drop in the sticker price. Worth noting, there are some extreme purists out there that believe the last real T-Bird was the '57 2-seater.

Actually the T-Bird's best sales year was 1978 when it sold over 370,000 copies. The similar Mercury Cougar XR-7 was a sold out model during that same year.

[Edited 2005-03-11 21:56:31]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

tristarenvy

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:27 am

And to add to PHLBOS, the huge success of the '77-'79 'Bird, pretty much destroyed it's sister, the LTD II. The Torino had been a good seller, and the LTD II SHOULD have done well. The coupe, in particular, was a good looking car. Cleaner, and less, "flabby" than what the Torino had become. The LTD II was pushed to businesses and cop shops, as the buying public found it could afford a T-Bird or XR-7. That "B" and "C" pillar styling of the 'Bird still looks great, today, I think.

The XR-7 was a sweet car. In 1977 Mercury retired the name "Montego" from the midsize cars, and called 'em all "Cougar" including for the top coupe, which was almost a totally seperate breed of cat.

Yeah, 'Fly I'd noticed the pickup of interest in the "Kars from Kenosha". There was a 1988 Eagle wagon for sale on eBay, that I really was interested in. That's the last of the line, as Chysler pulled the plug on Eagle production in early December 1987. Looked pretty straight, and the price was in the $2K-$3K range

[Edited 2005-03-11 22:36:46]

cptkrell

Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:59 am

In the past, I've relayed my opinions on the 'Bird (although I understand and sort of like the styling, I think that it lacks a bit of finish and signature considering its' design/market intent).

As many of you folks have noted, though, performance parameters and list pricing probably hindered sales more than my design observations.

Coincidentally, today I looked at a model w/ only 14,000 miles, perfect condition, for $23,550. If it had not have been the (not good, IMHO) non-commital red, I may have sprung for my checkbook. Not that wifey needs another cruiser, but in silver or black (I haven't found another production color I am comfortable with) it would be a pretty neat 20G ride, especially w/ the top down on a nice summer day.

This vehicle was never meant to be "competition" for the Corvette, but with a real good performance, personal 2-pax blvd cruiser, Ford could be currently polishing tooling for the next T-Bird rather than pulling the plug. It could have created another "niche" market. Regards..Jack
all best; jack

S12PPL

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:34 am

Can't say I'm sad to see it go. I never liked the design.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

PHLBOS

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:48 pm

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 17):
And to add to PHLBOS, the huge success of the '77-'79 'Bird, pretty much destroyed it's sister, the LTD II.

A similar, but not as extreme, scenario occured with the '73-'77 and '78-'81 GM's mid-size A-special coupes (later redesignated G-bodies) upstaging sales of GM's standard A-body coupes. Examples: the Monte Carlos were outselling Malibu coupes, Regals outselling Century coupes, Grand Prix outselling LeMans (and GrandAm) coupes, Cutlass Supremes outselling Cutlass/Cutlass Salons.

On the Mopar end, I don't think Dodge even bothered with a mid-size Monaco coupe when it already had the Charger then later Magnum XE. I believe Plymouth made a 2-door version of its mid-size Fury, which replaced the Satellite, very briefly.

In short, the personal luxury mid-size coupes basically contributed to the downfall of the standard mid-size coupes during the '80s.

[Edited 2005-03-14 14:51:12]

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:14 am

Mopars midsize family was all muddled, it seems to me. There WAS a Monaco coupe thru 1978, but it was a forgotten member of the family. Plymouth sold a tarted up Fury coupe as a "Road Runner" for a year or two, between 1975 and 1978.

I forget whether it's a Monaco or Fury coupe that's pictured in both "Cars of The Sensational 70's" and "The Chrysler Chronicles", that has a wonderfully bright 70's PLAID upholster.

Plus, they seemed to overlap series on these cars. There was a '78 Cordoba-based Chrager offered, even though the Magnum was introduced that year. Like what Chevy is doing with BOTH the old and new Malibu being sold, currently.

aa777flyer

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:16 am

No big loss. The T-Bird as well as all other Ford (all American cars) for that matter are POS's with little to no resale value, poor quality, and ugly styling. Check out some of our fine autos at

http://www.siliconvalleyautogroup.com
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:36 am

Aa777flyer,

We're talking about cars that most people can afford to buy, not exotic, top-end, sports or luxury cars.

Most cars in the web-site you listed are priced well beyond most people's reach.

Back to the topic, while the current T-Bird was not intended to be marketed towards a common crowd; I don't think Ford was planning on marketing to a completely exclusive/exotic crowd either.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 21):
Like what Chevy is doing with BOTH the old and new Malibu being sold, currently.

TriStarEnvy,

Chevy's not redoing/replacing the Malibu yet. Are you sure you're not thinking about the Cobalt being sold along side the Cavalier? From what I understand, the latter will be discontinued for 2006.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:04 am

Since the 2002 Thunderbird was to be 'retro', it should have been positioned against the Corvette as they both competed back in the 1950s. It wouldn't take much. The Thunderbird is a light car and the 5.4 V8 that's in the GT and assymbled at the same plant can fit right in the current Thunderbird. Then you'd have a performance car that would have been serious competion.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 21):
forget whether it's a Monaco or Fury coupe that's pictured in both "Cars of The Sensational 70's" and "The Chrysler Chronicles", that has a wonderfully bright 70's PLAID upholster.

My roomate has that book and the brouchure. I think it was the Plymouth Fury with that real 'far out' plaid interior.
I hope plaid seats make a comeback!  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:08 am

The OLD Malibu, is/was being sold just as the "Classic", alongside it's replacement, the new "Malibu". Ford did this with the current and old F-150's, too. This body style was shared w/Olds for a Cutlass derivitave for a few years in the late 1990's....

The OLD Malibu/Classic:

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:19 am

That's supposed to be a 'classic'?  gasp 
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:36 am

HAHAHHAH! In name only, my good friend, in name only!

You check out that Lincoln site?

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:39 am

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 25):
The OLD Malibu, is/was being sold just as the "Classic", alongside it's replacement, the new "Malibu".

What new Malibu are you talking about? While there is a Malibu Maxx hatchback being sold alongside the conventional sedan model; the Maxx is supplemental to the Malibu sedan not a replacement.
At present, the only changes I've seen on the current Malibu (which came out in '97) have been largely cosmetic.

Here's Chevy's website for proof:

http://www.chevrolet.com/cars/

Worth noting: Although, the Cavalier is no longer listed; it might still be offered as a fleet-only model.

BTW, I'm surprised that some Chevelle/'true' Malibu Classic ('64-'83) fans haven't flamed you yet for stating that the '90s Malibu is a classic.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 25):
Ford did this with the current and old F-150's, too.

That's because the F-150s were built at several different plants. It was not cost effective to retool them all at once; so they did it in stages.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 28):
BTW, I'm surprised that some Chevelle/'true' Malibu Classic ('64-'83) fans haven't flamed you yet for stating that the '90s Malibu is a classic.

Oh they will once they've read that!
TriStarEnvy is in hot water now!  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:14 am

Okay, let me "rephrase"....

Chevy has taken the car, formerly known as "Malibu", and rebadged it as "Classic". (Like what Chrysler did with the Renaults it inherited from AMC) It's sold primarily to rental/fleet agencies, and not pushed to the general public. I was surprised it was not listed on their website. I looked BEFORE I posted that picture. I just went to Yahoo!, and searched for a "2005 Chevrolet Classic". And viola! I got that one. Plus, a friend of mine just passed thru town driving one of these as a rental vehicle. No sign of "Malibu" on it. Just a badly attached nameplate saying "Classic".

I just find it odd that Chevy moved a name from one car to another, and kept the old car around as some other name. Shoot, call it "Chevelle" or "Laguna" even!

The current Malibu/Malibu Maxx are new platforms, and are different and far superior to that older car.

And I never considered that last generation Malibu as anything near "classic".

Now, am I back in the "Automobile Collectives" good graces??? Wink

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:27 am

OK you're off the hook.  Smile

This is just more proof that GM is ran by idiots.
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:33 am

Proof of that:

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:51 am

...and the GM mistakes goes on and on and on!

Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:09 am

Catera! The Cadillac that ZIGS!!!

Friend from college had a V-8-6-4 Caddy. It actually ran great!

aa777flyer

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 34):
Friend from college had a V-8-6-4 Caddy. It actually ran great!

It actually ran?????
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:29 am

My friends parents had a 4/6/8 Cadillac Eldorado and it would often get stuck on 4 cylinders.
Another friend of mine had a Coupe DeVille 4/6/8 and his ran great. I guess it depends on which day it was made.

Aa777flyer:
I see you're a local member. Did we ever meet at one of the SFO gatherings?
Bring back the Concorde

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 30):
It's sold primarily to rental/fleet agencies, and not pushed to the general public. I was surprised it was not listed on their website. I looked BEFORE I posted that picture. I just went to Yahoo!, and searched for a "2005 Chevrolet Classic". And viola! I got that one.

TriStarEnvy,

I rechecked the Yahoo search for myself. To tell you the truth, I never would've guessed that Chevy kept the old FWD Malibu line alive (under the Classic badge). I didn't think the most recent changeover was enough to justify the Classic's exsitence. Neither Motor Trend nor Car & Driver made any mention of the Classic. One of them mentioned that the Cavalier would continue as a fleet/rental only model for 2005. Talk about your phantom cars.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:41 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 37):
Neither Motor Trend nor Car & Driver made any mention of the Classic.

Sometimes it's just better to not acknowledge such retarded decisions. GM does that quite often.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:48 am

GM has a knack for that.

cptkrell

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:04 am

Some (basic) quotes and personal observations:

>"..all other Ford (all American cars) for that matter POS's...Check out some of our fine autoas at (Silicon Valley)..."

As PHLBOS sez, irrellevant to the thread, and, I might add that any drunken Italian grape-stomper should be able to build a fine car (as any get-to-work-bored UAW worker) if they are producing a quarter-million dollar plus vehicle. My experience, however, is, they often don't. I'd trust myself in a Chevy or Ford anyday traversing an out of the ordinary point A to point B sojourn over a Ferrari or even a Royce.

>"...the (Malibu) MAXX is supplimental to the Malibu not a replacement."

Technically incorrect. Both the new Malibu and longer wheelbase Malibu MAXX replace the current old Malibu platform (also badged as an Olds Cutlass). Before John Rock (chief of Olds) was asked to retire, he made the comment that the plant ought to be built on Belle Isle, so they could drive the cars into the Detroit River and not bother to ship them to the dealerships. He was right. Current old platform cars are being built-out (even if they haven't even started tearing the lines down as we speak). Your right, though, the badge "classic" has been used on everything from toilets to cars, and some of the cars we speak of are toilet-similar.

>"Shoot, call it (Malibu) "Chevelle" or "Laguna" even!"

Perhaps Laguna would have been better; I think we all have a tendency to associate Chevelle and Malibu with the performance models more than Laguna. Frankly, though, what would be wrong with calling it the Chevy II and 3/4? Ice has been broken by the Fifth Third Two and Seven Sixteenths Bank.

>"This is just more proof that GM is ran by idiots."

Gotta call you on that, S'Fly. Although I'm sure you meant it, I'll go to the current tense and opine more clearly that GM is STILL being run by (mostly) idiots.

And again from 'Fly with the pictures:
A) Aztec: definate proof.
B) Catera: who were they trying to fool?
c) (4,6,8) I'm reading those snippets as perhaps 4-6-8 Cads? The techno wasn't there. Bad product, and with the Cad diesel disaster, not to mention downsizing, people are only now beiginning to reconsider Cadillac.
D) H2: Initial sales sez they were right. Current sales sez maybe not. If I were a Sheriff in an Arizona town, I'd consider one. Actually, I considered one for the small farm in Tenn., but my old S-10 handles my chores perfectly.
E) Is it still a sales success? Dunno. BUT, if you want an oxymoron and are not a gansta rapper, I'd have thought minimal success. I still haven't seen an Escalade with the bed in use.
F) SSR; cute, but on the wrong platform. Big Jim and I almost got fired for arguing against the overweight, overpriced chassis (you NEED a small-block Chevy in it just to keep up with the Jonses). Furthermore, GM couldn't do it. It's built by ASC. Would have been a great $20,000 run-about.
G) Re-fronted, old W-car-based , FWD Chev/Pont van to give it a bit more life in the plaform cycle. Not more life from MY checkbook, however.
H) Friggen old Jap(?) Korean (?) LeMans. Should have died on the drawing board. Rusted in salt-winters faster than the 1972-era Fords did.
I) New GTO; commendable, first-rate total performance. Looks too pussy, needs all new skin.
J) WTF is THAT? Some kind of totally forgetable Renault clone or some other huh? It looks like it came out of a whale's ass. Is that the Chevy-badged whatever that was built at the Van Nuys, CA plant years ago (NUMMI)?

Respectfully...Jack
all best; jack

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:16 am

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 40):
>"...the (Malibu) MAXX is supplimental to the Malibu not a replacement."

Technically incorrect. Both the new Malibu and longer wheelbase Malibu MAXX replace the current old Malibu platform (also badged as an Olds Cutlass).

Jack, I was referring to the current Malibu sedan in my earlier statement not the now-discovered Classic which both the new sedan and Maxx replaced. As I stated earlier, until TriStarEnvy brought the matter to my/our attention; I did not know the Classic even existed.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:41 am

Cptkrell:
You mean you didn't like the mid 80s Cheverolet Nova?  Big grin
Did GM dare to put out an SS model?

When GM does something right, they really kick ass, but they only do that once a decade. The last great GMs were the last F-bodies and last B-bodies. They were even better than the competition at Ford. Mopar didn't even bother.
GMs heydays were in the 1960s and 1970s. They did make some great cars in the 1980s and early 1990s but the new cars coming out were trouble.

The H-bodies seem to hold up very well. My roomates 1990 Buick LeSabre has hit the 200,000 mile mark and is still running strong. That car NEVER breaks down.
Bring back the Concorde

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:47 am

Superfly,

Speaking of LeSabre, it looks like 2005 will be the last year for this long-running nameplate. A new model, called the Lucerne, will be replacing it for the 2006 model year.

cptkrell

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:51 am

PHLBOS; ahhh, yes. I see your reference. I think they might have just dug out some old "Classic" nameplates for the old model built-out.

'Fly; yeah...I forgot about THAT Nova. And you have wrecked my entire day reminding me of it  Smile

Later...Jack
all best; jack

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 43):
A new model, called the Lucerne, will be replacing it for the 2006 model year.

and that's even more proof GM is ran by idiots!  yell 
There was nothing wrong with that LeSabre or Park Avenue.
They were perfect cars that were realiable and had traditional styling. Why did GM have to mess up a good thing?

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 44):
'Fly; yeah...I forgot about THAT Nova. And you have wrecked my entire day reminding me of it

Ah look at the bright side. There was the 1988 Pontiac LeMans.  Smile
Unlike those old gas-guzzling ones from the 60s, the new LeMans has an airbag!  Silly  rotfl 
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:59 am

Jack, do you have any friends inside GM styling? I'd love to know the whole story about the Aztek. The concept vehicles were almost, and I say almost mainstream. What happened between concept and production? Focus groups all given acid or LSD by Ford and Chrysler moles?

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 45):
There was nothing wrong with that LeSabre or Park Avenue.

'Fly,

According to a recent Motor Trend article (the issue that covers all of the 2005 cars); it states that the successor to the Park Avenue (yet to be named), due in 2007, is rumored to be larger RWD sedan, with an available V8 engine.

Could it be the resurrected Roadmaster? Stay tuned.

[Edited 2005-03-14 21:56:04]

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:03 am

Just please, God, let it be a proper CAR, and not a "crossover" one part truck, one part car, mistake! And a real-honest-to-goodness WAGON, too.

Bring back a classic name for it, too. "Invicta", "Wildcat", "Electra", "Centurion", "Apollo"....no...wait on "Apollo"

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:21 am

I am almost scared to death as to what GM might do with Buick. Yes V8 rear drive is a good thing but so is the current GTO and CTS. Those cars look hideous!
I was reading not sure which magazine but one of the top dogs at GM wants to reposition Buick as a step below Cadillac. The first thing that came to mind were stripped down CTS, DTS, SRX, Escalade EXT with a Buick badge.
That would not be a good thing.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde