Jalto27R
Topic Author

Report: Israel Already Has Plans To Strike Iran.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1522978,00.html

So now there are plans, but will it actually happen? If so how are they going to undertake this, and what will be the most likely outcome and repercusions? This seems like an awfully fast moving international issue, and these new reports just speed it up even more. In my opinion a strike has to be the LAST option. Comments?

Mike

Falcon84

RE: Report: Israel Already Has Plans To Strike Iran.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:39 am

Every country with a decent military keeps constantly updated contingency plans at the ready, and they constantly adjust them to the current world situation.

I don't see where this is a big deal. Pre-planning is only prudent, for a just-in-case.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:42 am

This is probably the stupidest thing Sharon can do. Iran is the most militarily powerful country in the middle east in that they have both a large army and strong nationalism. If anything is to be learned from the Iran-Iraq War is that when Iran was invaded by a better equipped, better backed aggressor, Iran turned them away and inflicted equal damage, and that was a post-revolution, transition Iran.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:49 am

N1102A, there's nothing stupid about contingency, and Iran would have to march thorugh THREE nations to get to Israel, and one is currently under occupation by the United States for the forseeable future.

Iran won't ever get the chance to invade Israel, so that argument you have is out the window, imho.
Work Right, Fly Hard

11Bravo

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:56 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
Iran is the most militarily powerful country in the middle east in that they have both a large army and strong nationalism.

The Iranian military has no significant ability to act against Israel. That would change if they completed their nuclear weapons program, which of course is why Israel is concerned.
WhaleJets Rule!

theCoz

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:04 pm

Iran is a much different animal than Iraq. Based on the attitudes of the younger generation in Iran, I think there is a good chance for revolution in the future. The only problem is that it is going to take a very long time. I'm not really sure if the US can afford time such as that.

I think it was the wrong thing to do when Powell basically gave Iran the 'go-ahead' to Israel to do whatever it wants to Iran in terms of a pre-emptive attack. Sure, it may work for diplomatic purposes, but letting Israel off the leash may not do much to influence peace in the middle east.

A strike on Iran from either the US or Israel should be an absolute last resort. Anything else is a demonstration of arrogance.

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 4):
The Iranian military has no significant ability to act against Israel

Except that they have a military almost as well equipped as Israel, that is about the size of Israel's adult population and Iran has a nationalism strong enough to have already repelled one better equipped, US backed aggressor that used chemical and biological weapons (also US supplied). Additionally, they have conventional missile capable of hitting Israel

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 4):
That would change if they completed their nuclear weapons program, which of course is why Israel is concerned.

You mean the one they don't have based out of the US-built reactor set up to be light water only?

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):
there's nothing stupid about contingency, and Iran would have to march thorugh THREE nations to get to Israel, and one is currently under occupation by the United States for the forseeable future.

Iran won't ever get the chance to invade Israel, so that argument you have is out the window, imho.

Contingency this is not, this is an invasion plan. Iran is not the aggressor here and has proved not to be throughout recent history. Even after acts of war from the Taliban, they used diplomatic means to end disputes.

ltbewr

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Israel has done this before in the 1980's. They secretly somehow made major airspace violations with fighter a/c with missles and attacked a nueclar facility of Iran, causing (thank God) serious damage. If Israel ever attempted this now, the USA may have to shoot down the Israeli aircraft. If Israel did attempt or actually succeded in attacking the nuclear research site in Iran, it could be a death wish to them. It would unify a wide range of Islamic peoples throughout the world in a death hate of Israel and probably the USA. I would expect a massive esclation of attacks upon Israel and the USA, probably including massive 'scud' missle attacks upon the USA military in Iraq, and Israel. God pray the Israelis never carry out this plan.

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:19 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
Israel has done this before in the 1980's. They secretly somehow made major airspace violations with fighter a/c with missles and attacked a nueclar facility of Iran, causing (thank God) serious damage. If Israel ever attempted this now, the USA may have to shoot down the Israeli aircraft. If Israel did attempt or actually succeded in attacking the nuclear research site in Iran, it could be a death wish to them. It would unify a wide range of Islamic peoples throughout the world in a death hate of Israel and probably the USA. I would expect a massive esclation of attacks upon Israel and the USA, probably including massive 'scud' missle attacks upon the USA military in Iraq, and Israel. God pray the Israelis never carry out this plan

You are confusing Iran with Iraq. The half completed reactor the Israelis attacked in the 80s was a project of Saddam Hussein.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

rjpieces

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:22 pm

Except that they have a military almost as well equipped as Israel, that is about the size of Israel's adult population and Iran has a nationalism strong enough to have already repelled one better equipped, US backed aggressor that used chemical and biological weapons (also US supplied). Additionally, they have conventional missile capable of hitting Israel

Utter bullshit. Israel has the most advanced military in the Middle East, on a totally different level than even Iran. Iran might launch conventional missiles at Israel, but they would likely either be shot down over US-controlled Iraqi airpsace, or by SAMs in Israel. I doubt Israel is seriously scared of a conventional Iranian attack.

Israel has done this before in the 1980's. They secretly somehow made major airspace violations with fighter a/c with missles and attacked a nueclar facility of Iran, causing (thank God) serious damage.

It was against Iraq, not Iran.

If Israel ever attempted this now, the USA may have to shoot down the Israeli aircraft. If Israel did attempt or actually succeded in attacking the nuclear research site in Iran, it could be a death wish to them. It would unify a wide range of Islamic peoples throughout the world in a death hate of Israel and probably the USA. I would expect a massive esclation of attacks upon Israel and the USA, probably including massive 'scud' missle attacks upon the USA military in Iraq, and Israel. God pray the Israelis never carry out this plan.

Utter nonsense. Any Israeli attack on Iran would be done with US blessing, meaning that the US would be refueling them, not quite shooting them down. Everyone always says that the Arab street will rise up, but the last few years have shown that the "Arab Street" everyone has been scared about is more or less dead.

When Israel attacked Iraq in 1981, everyone breathed a sigh of relief, especially the Iranians. If/when Israel does attack Iran, I expect the world will bitch at the UN for a few days but after that there won't be much of an effect. Nothing like a "massive escalation of attacks upon Israel".
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

rjpieces

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:24 pm

You are confusing Iran with Iraq. The half completed reactor the Israelis attacked in the 80s was a project of Saddam Hussein.

It was more than half complete. It was going to be online in short order. Israel waited until the last possible moment to attack. If they had waited a few more weeks, it would have been too late for Iraq might have had nukes by then.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
I would expect a massive esclation of attacks upon Israel and the USA, probably including massive 'scud' missle attacks upon the USA military in Iraq, and Israel

Scud missiles are Russian missiles sold to Iraq, not Iran.

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 9):
Everyone always says that the Arab street will rise up, but the last few years have shown that the "Arab Street" everyone has been scared about is more or less dead.

Arab Street huh? Shows how much you know about Iran

BA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:32 pm

Let us hope Israel isn't crazy enough to launch a strike against Iran as it will destroy all hopes of peace in the Middle East.

While Iran is not in the Arab League, the Arab League is working on reviving the 2002 peace initiative and it is POSSIBLE that all Arab nations will make peace with Israel later this year.

The Arab League and Arab states have warmed up due to the progress being made between Israelis and Palestinians.

Any attack against Iran will completely destroy such opportunities and will launch a new wave of tensions and struggle.

You can bet that Hezbollah in southern Lebanon will retaliate if Iran is struck.

You can bet that there will be renewed chaos in Iraq, mainly among the Shias who are loyal to Iran.

The Shias in the Middle East will especially be the ones who will react to this the most.

Personally, I don't think Israel will do it...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:37 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 12):
The Shias in the Middle East will especially be the ones who will react to this the most.

Additionally, any attack on Iran would be a red flag to EU nations. While they opposed Iraq, the EU has very significant financial interests in Iran, especially the French and SNCEMA. If Israel attacked, I don't think you would have an idle EU, rather Iran having Mirage IIIs/2000s flying next to their F-14s

rjpieces

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:42 pm

Personally, I don't think Israel will do it...

Do you truly think Israel will sit by and let Iran get their hands on nukes? I just don't see that happening. Israel will do whatever is necessary to stop Iran from getting nukes and they are militarily capable of stopping them.

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:42 pm

I doubt Israel is seriously scared of a conventional Iranian attack.

No they are not, because Iran is not an aggressor-nation, no matter what Bush tries to make people believe. They are, however, worried about a counter strike and have made noises to the UN for some time.

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:45 pm

Contingency this is not, this is an invasion plan. Iran is not the aggressor here and has proved not to be throughout recent history.

It's actually probably an air strike plan, since, like Iran in the opposite direction, Israel would have to march through three nations, and even as good as their military is, they just can't do this. Again-read what I said-ANY nation with a military has constantly updated scenarios and contingencies on hand. If the military minds in a certain country aren't doing that, they're not doing what they get paid to do.

And Iran has been an aggressor, through surrogates like Hamas, Hezbollah, and other terrorist cells they support. That's being an aggressor.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 14):
Do you truly think Israel will sit by and let Iran get their hands on nukes?

The nukes that they are not building? Or maybe that is wear the ones from Iraq went?  Confused

Israel will do whatever is necessary to stop Iran from getting nukes and they are militarily capable of stopping them.

You mean capable of being an aggressor-nation? Stopping Iran from developing an internationally accepted energy source (even if I think it is a bad energy source)? Or perhaps capable of getting themselves in a quagmire that will get hundreds of thousands in both countries killed all because they have a war criminal at the helm?

texdravid

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:46 pm

I am sure that Sharon has an understanding from Bush: "Do what you want to do with Iran, we won't stop you."
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

tbar220

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:48 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
If anything is to be learned from the Iran-Iraq War is that when Iran was invaded by a better equipped, better backed aggressor, Iran turned them away and inflicted equal damage, and that was a post-revolution, transition Iran.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
Contingency this is not, this is an invasion plan.

Uhhhhh, what are you smoking? This isn't an Israeli "invasion plan". This would be a strike to eliminate any nuclear power/arsenal that Iran would be trying to get.
NO URLS in signature

rjpieces

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:50 pm

It's actually probably an air strike plan,

Actually, it woud most likely be a cruise missile attack. Israel has submarines off the coast of Iran that sail with the Indian Navy. An air attack would have to be a joint US-Israeli attack, since Israeli jets would have to refuel over Iraq....A cruise missile attack could be done totally by their own military.

I am sure that Sharon has an understanding from Bush: "Do what you want to do with Iran, we won't stop you."

Cheney made it pretty clear a few months ago.....

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:51 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 19):
Uhhhhh, what are you smoking?

Nothing, and definately not drinking the Bush/Sharon Kool-Aid

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 19):
This isn't an Israeli "invasion plan". This would be a strike to eliminate any nuclear power/arsenal that Iran would be trying to get.

Iran is a sovereign nation and Israel would be attacking it over borders. That is an invasion.

tbar220

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:54 pm

So Israel should just sit and watch while Iran gets nuclear weapons?
NO URLS in signature

N5176Y

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Why is this news?? Israel has had plans to attack every potential threat since the 1950's.

Yawn.  Embarrassment

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Nothing, and definately not drinking the Bush/Sharon Kool-Aid/

Neither am I, if you read anything I write about Bush, but what you're putting on here is pretty uneducated.

Iran is a sovereign nation and Israel would be attacking it over borders. That is an invasion.

Then you have a different definition than 99% of the world does. An invasion, to me, is placing troops on the ground to occupy. Air strikes don't fall in that category.
Work Right, Fly Hard

BA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:57 pm

Do you truly think Israel will sit by and let Iran get their hands on nukes? I just don't see that happening. Israel will do whatever is necessary to stop Iran from getting nukes and they are militarily capable of stopping them.

They won't launch an attack because they very well know the repercussions would be grave, especially at the current situation when it looks like the Middle East/Israel issue is defusing. They wouldn't want to derail them.

The point is when attitudes towards Israel are warming up, an attack against Iran would completely reverse those.

How do you think the Shias in Iraq who make up 60% of the Iraqi population would react? Would the US like to have almost the entire Iraqi population rise up in arms against them?

Surely not.

Attacking Iran is a grave grave mistake and I pray it doesn't happen.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:02 pm

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 23):

Why is this news?? Israel has had plans to attack every potential threat since the 1950's.

Except that Iran in not threatening them

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 22):
So Israel should just sit and watch while Iran gets nuclear weapons?

Well, Iran sat while Israel got theirs, didn't they? Again, there are no nuclear weapons in Iran and they are not even close to having them

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:02 pm

They won't launch an attack because they very well know the repercussions would be grave, especially at the current situation when it looks like the Middle East/Israel issue is defusing.

Put yourself in their shoes for once, BA. What's more grave: putting up with Arab bellyaching, which the Arabs have done forever and ever, Amen, or having a nuclear dagger pointed at them?

When you think like that, when you remember, which you didn't, that Iran has wanted Israel annihilated for decades, you can see why Israel, justifiably, would not want Iran to have that weapon. It's really meant to threaten no one else but Israel.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N5176Y

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:06 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
Except that Iran in not threatening them

Um, Mr. Ayatollah has specifically stated that the day they obtain a nuclear weapon is the day they launch it at Israel.

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:08 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 27):
Put yourself in their shoes for once,

Someone ought to put themselves in an Iranian's shoes for once.

that Iran has wanted Israel annihilated for decades,

Yeah, I am sure all of the Shah's money that went there was meant to annihilate them.

you can see why Israel, justifiably, would not want Iran to have that weapon.

And Iran is unjustified in defending against Israel's nuclear arsenal?

It's really meant to threaten no one else but Israel.

Except that Israel has been an aggressor-nation and Iran has not. Additionally, Iran does not have nuclear weapons, Israel does. Who is being threatened by who?

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:09 pm

>Um, Mr. Ayatollah has specifically stated that the day they obtain a nuclear weapon is the day they launch it at Israel.<

Are you talking about the Mr. Ayatollah who died 16 years ago?

[Edited 2005-03-14 05:10:42]

BA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:11 pm

Put yourself in their shoes for once, BA. What's more grave: putting up with Arab bellyaching, which the Arabs have done forever and ever, Amen, or having a nuclear dagger pointed at them?

I would say the entire region surrounding Israel being outraged and a new wave of attacks against Israel is more serious than having nuclear weapons idly pointed at Israel who have no intention of being fired at unless provoked.

I'd rather have a mini cold war than a new era of tensions and destablization at a time when the situation is improving.

When you think like that, when you remember, which you didn't, that Iran has wanted Israel annihilated for decades, you can see why Israel, justifiably, would not want Iran to have that weapon.

Decades? No.

You forget that from the early 1950's until the late 1970's, Iran was a US puppet under the tyranical dictator, Mohammed Reza Pahlavi.

Which is exactly what led to the Islamic Revolution and a new wave of anti-Americanism and anti-Westernism.

It's really meant to threaten no one else but Israel.

Good, perhaps some good will come out of a new balance of power in the Middle East.

Israel has over 240 nuclear warheads.

L-188

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:12 pm

This may come as a pretty big shock for some of you, but militaries game out contingincies and prepare warplasns, constantly.

It is a form of training, a form of prepardness and a way to find problems.

It would shock me a hell of a lot more if Israel hadn't made contingincies.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

UAL747

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:15 pm

The United States is currently in a good strategic place to help Israel with it's plans. We have a military force occupying Iran's neighbor. Now, would I support such a plan, no. But, in light of recent talks, I think there is a secretive plan in the works. I guess this is what we get electing this poor bastard back into the white house. However, if this does indeed become a heated conflict, it will long outlast the current administration, unfortunately.

While strategically, we are in the right place, I seriously think it is the wrong time to undertake such a venture. The US military powerhouse is already being spread thin and increased activity in the middle east will most likely piss off our allies and snowball into a large international crisis. But, it is my opinion that our current administration is crazy enough to start this "idea". I hate to see what happens when we try and take on North Korea.

I seriously don't know what Bush is thinking, and I think their international policies are crap. I knew from the beginning when the spy plane went down in China that we were going to be in for some bad International PR with Bush and the recent years have showed this. I'm sorry, but you just don't go starting a war on evidence that seems "somewhat" clear. I'm talking about WMD in Iraq. The sad part is, the majority of the US population bought into the reparitive rhetoric the Bush administration has used in the past year. (That we are not there for WMD, but to liberate the people of Iraq). Face it people, Bush and his administration screwed up, and we are in more of a mess than we were before him. Sure, 9/11 was going to happen no matter who was in the whitehouse, but to go balls to the wall with military advances is somewhat stupid and most definitely suicidal. I feel sorry for our military who has to be at the call of the administration.

Now, I do think that Iran having nuclear capabilities is not a good idea. But as to the correct mode of operation to correct this, I have no clue. But, I'd try a little better than having a pissing contest with Iran and I'd try to get the other nations of the world involved with either talks, or if all else fails, a strong military alliance, much like that of NATO during the cold war.

The US has one advantage over many countries, and that is our finances and economic powerhouse. We have the wealthiest nations on our side, even though we may have diplomatic differences. We should use economics as the ultimate pressure on Iran...not weapons. Money talks more than bloodshed, be it an unfortunate phenomenon or not.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:16 pm

I would say the entire region surrounding Israel being outraged and a new wave of attacks against Israel is more serious than having nuclear weapons idly pointed at Israel who have no intention of being fired at unless provoked.

Well, I'm glad you have so much love and trust for Iran, because I don't. I think they are capable, with those lunatic Mullah's running that nation, to fullfilling some kind of dream to destroy Israel. It's the only thing that makes sense for them to have such weapons.

I'd rather have a mini cold war than a new era of tensions and destablization at a time when the situation is improving.

Of course you would, because the fucking things wouldn't be aimed right at you, would they? They'd be aimed at a nation and people your people have wanted destroyed for 60 years, BA.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 34):
with those lunatic Mullah's running that nation

As opposed to the lunatic war criminals running Israel, another country founded on religious grounds?

to fullfilling some kind of dream to destroy Israel.

What kind of insanity are you listening to?

Well, I'm glad you have so much love and trust for Iran, because I don't

Perhaps you should listen to sources other than US media for once?

allstarflyer

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:21 pm

Any Israeli attack on Iran would be done with US blessing, meaning that the US would be refueling them, not quite shooting them down.

Yeah, if forced to choose sides, the US would be wise to remain friends with Israel.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):
Then you have a different definition than 99% of the world does. An invasion, to me, is placing troops on the ground to occupy. Air strikes don't fall in that category.

Invasion more carries the tone that the aggressor intends to occupy territory. Merriam-Webster online defines invasion as having the intent of conquest or plunder, and that's not Israel's style. Israel is about defending Israel. Anything they did to Iran would be more surgical than anything. And if they wanted, Israel could wipe Iran from the face of the planet and probably any other Middle Eastern country that cared to involve itself. The Iranians probably have the most devoted sense of nationalism in the Middle East, and that's nothing compared to Israel. And if Israel feels threatened enough from Iran, they'll tell the UN, the US and anyone else they can get lost.

-R
Living the American Dream

alberchico

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:21 pm

Read the article,ONLY if Iran gets very close to obtaining nuclear capacity will they take them out. They have the neccessary intelligence to find out.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

LY744

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:22 pm

This is the funniest post about the middle east in recent forum history. Of course Israel has plans to attack Iran. I bet they have a shitload of plans to attack even the most far fetched and unlikely of adversaries. Why would a country even have a military if they had no plans to use it? The fact that this comes as a surprise (or is considered news) by some is rather amusing IMO.

Utter bullshit. Israel has the most advanced military in the Middle East, on a totally different level than even Iran. Iran might launch conventional missiles at Israel, but they would likely either be shot down over US-controlled Iraqi airpsace, or by SAMs in Israel. I doubt Israel is seriously scared of a conventional Iranian attack.

I know you're in the habit of embarassing, yourself, but for the love of god, please stop. Iran has a very poweful military, which enjoys the use of highly advanced weaponary, including many indeginous systems. As a matter of fact, the evolution of the Iranian military largely resembles that of Israel's. If it was as feeble as you attempt to portray it, Israel would have nothing to worry about, now wouldn't it?

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 20):
Actually, it woud most likely be a cruise missile attack. Israel has submarines off the coast of Iran that sail with the Indian Navy. An air attack would have to be a joint US-Israeli attack, since Israeli jets would have to refuel over Iraq....A cruise missile attack could be done totally by their own military.

If I even begin to attempt to describe my feelings about the, um, utter incorrectness of your assumptions, I will most deffinetely end up having this reply deleted, so let's just leave it at that. Please stop talking about things you have not the slightest clue about.  ashamed 

Damn I need a drink now.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

UAL747

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:26 pm

BTW, what is Iran thinking anyway? Nuclear weapons are SOOOO 80's.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

BA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:27 pm

Well, I'm glad you have so much love and trust for Iran, because I don't. I think they are capable, with those lunatic Mullah's running that nation, to fullfilling some kind of dream to destroy Israel. It's the only thing that makes sense for them to have such weapons.

Believe me, I don't love or trust Iran, but I don't think they are crazy enough to attack Israel because of the repercussions.

Just as I don't think Israel is crazy enough to attack Iran (I hope).

Of course you would, because the fucking things wouldn't be aimed right at you, would they? They'd be aimed at a nation and people your people have wanted destroyed for 60 years, BA.

Let's not turn this into an Israel/Palestine debate. We've discussed this issue extensively over and over and over again...

And by the way, Israel has 240 nuclear warheads.

Perhaps if the world addresses Israel's 240 nuclear warheads issue, Iran would be willing to compromise.

Until then, any attempt to defuse Iran will be regarded as double standards and they won't listen to attempts to end their nuclear program.

Maybe they will accept the incentives the EU and now the US are proposing as part of a compromise, we'll see, depends on their priorities...

rjpieces

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:28 pm

I know you're in the habit of embarassing, yourself, but for the love of god, please stop. Iran has a very poweful military, which enjoys the use of highly advanced weaponary, including many indeginous systems. As a matter of fact, the evolution of the Iranian military largely resembles that of Israel's. If it was as feeble as you attempt to portray it, Israel would have nothing to worry about, now wouldn't it?

Sorry dude, I will say it again, Iran's military is no match for Israels or the US. They might be better off than the Iraqi military was pre-2003, but they are simply no match for US/Israeli technology and training.

If I even begin to attempt to describe my feelings about the, um, utter incorrectness of your assumptions, I will most deffinetely end up having this reply deleted, so let's just leave it at that. Please stop talking about things you have not the slightest clue about.

LY744, instead of throwing out generalizations, please tell me specifically what I said that was wrong. Does Israel have warplans capable of flying to Iran, dropping bombs, and returning to Israel without refueling? No. Does Israel have submarines in the Arabian Sea? From all news accounts, the ones that people like yourself and I have access to, yes they do. From those same news accounts, those submarines participate in maneuvers with the Indian Navy and are off the coast of Iran in the event the IDF needs to attack.

So Mr. self proclaimed military expert, I challenge you to find something I said that was wrong. Until then, stop posting useless crap and find some facts.

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:30 pm

Quoting Rjpieces (Reply 41):
Sorry dude, I will say it again, Iran's military is no match for Israels or the US. They

Israel and the US are two different countries. Or are they?

rjpieces

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:38 pm

Militarily speaking, they are one.

UAL747

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:41 pm

Can I ask an ignorant question?

Why is Israel of such importance to the US? I mean seriously, all this crap over a barren strip of desert?

UAL

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:43 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 43):
Militarily speaking, they are one.

Which is not right

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 44):
Why is Israel of such importance to the US? I mean seriously, all this crap over a barren strip of desert?

That is anything but an ignorant question. It is not a barren strip though. Still, not nearly as rich with land and resources as Iran

Falcon84

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:44 pm

N1120A, he said the US or Israel. What part of "or" do you not get.

And I do not agree with RJpieces-theyare not one in the same, as far as I'm concerned.
Work Right, Fly Hard

BA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:46 pm

I should also mention that Jordan will not allow Israeli fighter aircraft to overfly Jordanian airspace to attack Iran despite having peace with Israel.

Neither will Syria or Lebanon obviously.

The other option would be to fly up to Turkey, landing there to refuel and launching the attacks from there.

Considering that Turkey and Iran are very close friends, they will never allow Israel to attack Iran from their airspace just as Turkey didn't allow the US to use Turkish airspace and land to attack Iraq.

Speaking of Turkey, they are the only true friend of Israel in the Middle East. However, during the past two years, Turkish/Israeli relations have been going downhill as Turkey has become more involved in the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

An attack on Iran will completely shatter Turkish/Israeli relations...

UAL747

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 45):
That is anything but an ignorant question. It is not a barren strip though. Still, not nearly as rich with land and resources as Iran

Exactly. Okay, the barren comment was sort of tongue in cheek, but Iran has waaay more to offer than Israel. In fact, MANY nations of the middle east offer the US more than Israel. To me, the entire issue with Israel is more of a pain in the neck and a hole in the pocket book of the US, but again, that is just my opinion.

UAL

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:49 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 46):
theyare not one in the same, as far as I'm concerned.

But in reality, they are. Well, that and stolen French designs

Quoting BA (Reply 47):
An attack on Iran will completely shatter Turkish/Israeli relations...

As well as US-Turkey and NATO-Turkey relations.