UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

The Official A.net Gran Turismo 4 Thread!

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:58 pm

I had put up a deposit since last year to ensure I would have it on the day of its release in Eire.
So, who has it , what are your thoughts and what is your ride(s)/progress ?
I am at 3% (after half a day) with a gray APC Motorsports VW Golf R32 '03 (550 hp).
The graphics engine is really much better, and that Director's mode is great for racking up credits while doing something else Big grin

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

atco2b

RE: The Official A.net Gran Turismo 4 Thread!

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:04 pm

Yeah looks really good. I dont have it, but dont get paid til' the end of the month!

Im learning to drive anyway at present so maybe i can get my parents to fork out for it - 'as a learning tool' LOL!

Cheers
Tom
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:05 pm

I just bought it for a friend of mine's kid - he is 10 - is it any good ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:11 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 2):
is it any good ?

It is the best thing since sliced bread Big grin

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

cornish

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:48 pm

As a long time GT fan, I'm busy biting my fingernails at the moment. It was released in the UK on Friday, but I'm having to wait until this Friday - reason I'm getting it for my birthday and I was threatened by my other half not to dare buy it !!!

Rather pleased to see that my own real life car is available in GT4 - which means I get to drive it round the Nurburgring - something I want to do for real, but understandably my partner isn't so keen on me doing....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:12 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 4):
Rather pleased to see that my own real life car is available in GT4 - which means I get to drive it round the Nurburgring

Someone digitised a 2CV ? Wow, bet the digitial version requires more power to run the Xbox than the real things engine could produce  Silly
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:18 pm

Not only the 2CV but almost every manufacturer has "lengendary" vehicles that you cannot purchase and have to be unlocked.

So far I unlocked the 1979 Autobianchi A112 Abarth and the 1970 Chenvrolet Chevelle SS (440 HP in 1970 lol).

UTA

707CMF

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:19 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 6):
Not only the 2CV but almost every manufacturer has "lengendary" vehicles that you cannot purchase and have to be unlocked.

Does it have the legendary Vaxhall Astrhaa and the magnificent classical Megane ?

Cheers,

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 7):
Does it have the legendary Vaxhall Astrhaa and the magnificent classical Megane ?

Indeed, I have a 2001 Renault Megane 2.0 IDE, I am waiting for an Astrhaa equivalent to the generation of the one I own to be available in the user car dealerships (another new GT4 feature).

UTA

cornish

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:31 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
Quoting Cornish (Reply 4):
Rather pleased to see that my own real life car is available in GT4 - which means I get to drive it round the Nurburgring

Someone digitised a 2CV ? Wow, bet the digitial version requires more power to run the Xbox than the real things engine could produce

Actually the 2cv is actually in it - fancy racing a 60s Fiat 500 against it and a beetle actually.

As if I'd own a rusty old French car that refuses to start  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:34 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 9):
As if I'd own a rusty old French car that refuses to start

So go on then - what car do you own ? The suspense is killing me !

That 2CV vs Cinquecento vs Beetle sounds like fun ! About all the speed I can cope with in Xbox racing - I'm hopeless !

gkirk

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:37 pm

JGPH1A is now banned from playing this game - on the grounds that he is too old and French
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:38 pm

Wait till I get that 2CV and upgrade it to 300hp or something - I manged to get 260+hp out of a classic Mini in the old GT3 Big grin

UTA

cornish

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:39 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
So go on then - what car do you own ? The suspense is killing me !

A new shape Audi A3. and a very nice car it is too  Smile

Actually we used to drive a friend's 2cv on the beach in Cornwall when I was younger - so much fun. With that in mind the 2cv should be a hoot on Gt4s rally courses.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:42 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 13):
A new shape Audi A3. and a very nice car it is too

I am looking to purchase that vehicle, however I heard reports that the chassis setup has been so badly engineered it eats up tires, apparently they need to be changed at 15.000/20.000 kilometers.

True or urban legend ?

UTA

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:45 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
JGPH1A is now banned from playing this game - on the grounds that he is too old and French

That's it, where's my Fatwa pen ? You're for it now...

Kirkie, you should refrain from comment until you've blagged enough old ladies' benefit giros to buy yourself a car. What will it be, a Vauxhall Nova with a whaletail and a 13in exhaust, or a 1983 Golf GTI with a rear windscreen made of binbags ?

Very boring respectable  Smile

gkirk

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:50 pm

And just to annoy you even more JGPH1A, just check out my new sig  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cornish

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 14):

I am looking to purchase that vehicle, however I heard reports that the chassis setup has been so badly engineered it eats up tires, apparently they need to be changed at 15.000/20.000 kilometers.

True or urban legend ?

I've got the sport package with the fatter tyres and firmer suspension and have had it from new for just over a year. I've done just over 12,000 miles (so that must be about 18,000Kms I think) in the first year. Although it mainly gets used for weekday commmuting, my drive is over some good "keen driver" roads so it gets a good workout. The tyres are looking in very good shape at the moment.

Mine is with the new 1.6 Fsi engine that replaced the old 1.8 (don't get the boggo basic 1.6 engine). I'd like the 2.0 next time. I'd be suprised if the 2.0 eats its tyres much worse than the 1.6 fsi. I'm a keen driver and got plenty of tread left. Maybe the non-sport is worse with smaller tyres, but I'd be surprised.

Its a great car and I'd recommend one to anybody - its great to drive, looks good and just sit in one and you quickly appreciate just how special the cabin is and how well built it is too. Far better than the equivelent BMW 1 series imo. Perhaps on the sport model the suspension is a bit too firm and crashy, but I can live with that, and anyway that tends to be an Audi trait on the UKs roads.

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 16):
And just to annoy you even more JGPH1A, just check out my new sig

Pig from hell ! I have never owned a piece of gold jewelry or any item of Burberry in my life. I choose to ignore you utterly, you skirt-wearing Pictish reject.  Smile

Thom@s

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:56 pm

I had choose between GT4 or Ace Combat: Squadron Leader.

I chose to fly. But rest assured I will buy GT4 as soon as I can afford the game.

*If you'd like to help me out, contact me via e-mail and I'll give you my account number so you can donate some money.

Thom@s  Wink
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

cornish

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:56 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):

Very boring respectable

Yes but I'm getting older and need comfort, performance and reliability these days.

However I do want to get something far less sensible to accompany it. Thinking on the lines of an original Fiat 500 to zap around London in. Far cooler than any modern city car and not common over here  Smile

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:03 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 20):
Thinking on the lines of an original Fiat 500 to zap around London in. Far cooler than any modern city car and not common over here

That would be fun, if you don't mind driving around in a Cadbury's creme egg. Not a lot of room in them, plus you'll be at exhaust height to all the school-run moms in their giant Jeep Cherokees who won't see you or even feel the bump when they reverse over you. If up you want something nippy and Italian, how about an Alfa Spider (the old one that doesn't look like a wedge of Dutch cheese) ?

cornish

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:14 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 21):
That would be fun, if you don't mind driving around in a Cadbury's creme egg.

I like to think it as more like a clockwork mouse  Smile

plus you'll be at exhaust height to all the school-run moms in their giant Jeep Cherokees

Don't get me started on that one !!. I have to drive through part of Surrey where its X5s and M-classes on the school run and they're completely out of control !!

If up you want something nippy and Italian, how about an Alfa Spider

Mmm - maybe but perhaps a bit girly for London. Also I figure everyone will smile at me in the 500 and let me out of junctions and things !!

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:16 pm

Just get the modern-day iteration of the smallish, fun city car - get a Twingo  Smile

UTA

fbgdavidson

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:31 pm

It's out! really!

I remember getting the original Gran Turismo and thinking it was amazing and then got GT3 on PS2 and the guys in our boarding house managed to waste god knows how many hundreds of hours playing that game!

Just ordered my copy, can't wait to give the Nurgburgring a spin, hopefully its the infamous 13 mile version....
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

cornish

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:33 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 24):
can't wait to give the Nurgburgring a spin, hopefully its the infamous 13 mile version....

Yes it is  Smile

Delboy

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:22 pm

If you haven't already got it I would politely suggest you get yourself over to the playstation.com website and read the topics highlighting problems with the game on PS2's of a certain model number.

My PS2 is as old as the hills and fortunately, the game works fine but there are a lot of disgruntled gamers who can't get the game to work on their consoles.

Beware before spending your cash.

Oh, I almost forgot, it's absolutely brilliant. Well worth the two year wait for it to finally arrive.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:25 pm

May I also add I can't wait to get home tonight  Wink

UTA

ScottishLaddie

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:39 pm

Yes I do. The cars are racking up in the garage already, and the delivery of the Logitech Driving Force Pro steering wheel should be imminent! Big grin

fbgdavidson

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:56 pm

Quoting Delboy (Reply 26):
If you haven't already got it I would politely suggest you get yourself over to the playstation.com website and read the topics highlighting problems with the game on PS2's of a certain model number.

My PS2 is as old as the hills and fortunately, the game works fine but there are a lot of disgruntled gamers who can't get the game to work on their consoles.

Really? Whats the problem with it? I got mine in December '01 (or whenever Grand Theft Auto for PS2 was released), not sure if that makes it as old as the hills.....
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

desertjets

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:54 am

GT4 is reason enough for me to buy a PS2, either that and Halo2 and get an XBox. However for now I am stuck with a PSOne and GT2 to amuse myself with.

One of my big beefs w/ GT2 is that there isn't much racing at the bottom level. You progress too quickly to the superfast cars, while fun and all, are not as fun as whipping around the track in some Civic or a Japanese Kei. Takes a bit more skill than your Stage 3 everything Skyline GT-R R34.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

JGPH1A

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:02 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 25):
Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 24):
can't wait to give the Nurgburgring a spin, hopefully its the infamous 13 mile version....

Yes it is

There was an excellent "Top Gear" on BBC World the other week, with The Dreadful Clarkson doing his best to get an S-type Jaguar round Nurburgring in under 2 minutes or 10 minutes or something, and he had to have loads of tries before he could manage it. Then the German girl who works at the track and who was his host, took the wheel and went round in under the target time on her first try, never having driven the car before. Made Clarkson look a right nana hehe !

cornish

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 31):
There was an excellent "Top Gear" on BBC World the other week, with The Dreadful Clarkson doing his best to get an S-type Jaguar round Nurburgring in under 2 minutes or 10 minutes or something, and he had to have loads of tries before he could manage it. Then the German girl who works at the track and who was his host, took the wheel and went round in under the target time on her first try, never having driven the car before. Made Clarkson look a right nana hehe !

Saw that a while back over here. Really funny. it was a diesel Jag too ! I think it was under something like 8 mins 15 seconds he had to aim for.

Would love to drive it myself for real.

ScottishLaddie

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:45 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 32):
Saw that a while back over here. Really funny. it was a diesel Jag too ! I think it was under something like 8 mins 15 seconds he had to aim for.

Under 10mins, and he did it in 9.59.  Yeah sure  wink 

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:38 pm

The tips are coming to leak out  Smile

Hint: Fast Racing For Fast Profit
Start out with any vehicle you like. When you make enough money to make your vehicle faster using the beginner hall, move over the the special conditions Hall. Defeat the first race (Rally d' Umbria) and you will receive a Cadillac CIEN '02. Get more money and put more power into your Cadillac CIEN '02 (you won't have to if you don't want to). The CIEN will gain almost 1000+ HP. Go to the second race with the CEIN in the Special Conditions Hall called Rally d' Capri. After you win that race you will get a Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car '02 which you can sell for more than $230,000+. Keep racing that race and keep making the money.

Submitted by - Da Penguin
To obtain over 260,000 credits easily just take your best car and take it into the Rally d' Capri easy in the Special Conditions hall. Once you obtain the car sell it and you get over 260,000 credits. You can repeat this over and over and soon enough you should be able to afford anything you want.

UTA

fbgdavidson

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:25 am

Just thought I'd bump this.....

Anyone done Driving Mission #34 yet? You've got an SLR and have to beat a 300SL and a few other Mercs around the Nurburgring....although you give the 300SL a 155second headstart! Best my brother and I can do is 4th place and 15seconds behind the 300SL. We'll probably get next to money for it but have become so engrossed in this particular challenge over all the others that it is personal!

Another way to get heaps of cash is the Japanese GT Championship in Japanese Events. I think 12,000 per win and 45,000 Championship bonus and at the end you get a car that sells for 300,000+. In some ways this version of GT kicks ass because after you buy a car it autosaves meaning if you buy a dog by accident then you can't switch the PS2 off, reload and buy another, better car!

Anyone know what the B Spec and A Spec credit points are for? I notice them at the beginning of races and a total builds up in the garage....also what does directors mode do? I have noticed it as an option although am currently away and now gained a curiousity as to what it does!

airbusA346

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:28 am

I have it and my dad is like 'GIVE US A GO, GIVE US A GO' he can do for fill his dream of going round Nurgburgring in an M3,

An just to make you lot jealous I have reached 202mph in a Listers Storm on Nurgburgring's main straight, it is near the end of the lap.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 35):
Anyone know what the B Spec and A Spec credit points are for? I notice them at the beginning of races and a total builds up in the garage....also what does directors mode do? I have noticed it as an option although am currently away and now gained a curiousity as to what it does!

A-spec = you are driving
B-spec / Director's mode - some fool (or foolette) is driving under your orders.
You choose pitstop strategies, car setup, etc...

The Director's mode (read : lazyass mode) enables you to win these pesky endurance races without doing too much work.

As I write this my Audi A4 DTM is happily lapping the Nurburgring 24-hour race while I am at work (rhaa !)  Wink

UTA

777DadandJr

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:53 am

I loved GT3, and I am beginning to love GT4. The rendering of the cars is top notch, even down to the glowing brake rotors during hard runs. I like some of the new features of GT4. Takes a little getting used to, but not much.
I have but one gripe so far. The sound files...well....they suck! I really don't care to have my BMW M5 sounding like an electric razor during a hot lap through the concrete jungles of NYC. Doesn't get your adrenaline rushing, if you know what I mean.
I have PGR2 fro Xbox as well. I think the vehicle dynamics in PGR2 are superior to GT3 or GT4. And the cars sound more real.
Despite these little annoyances, my son and I enjoy both immensely.

Russ and Jr
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

airbusA346

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:57 am

I brought the game yesterday

Quoting UTA_flyingHIGH (Reply 37):
The Director's mode (read : lazyass mode) enables you to win these pesky endurance races without doing too much work.

As I write this my Audi A4 DTM is happily lapping the Nurburgring 24-hour race while I am at work (rhaa !)

How do u do it UTA.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:37 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 39):
How do u do it UTA.

Easy, instead of selecting A-spec when when starting a race, choose B-spec (second choice from the left). Best bet (provided your choice of car is powerfool enough) is to put it at 5 (push hard) and overtake in the first lap, then gradually reduce to 3 (medium pace) to preserve the tires and prevent off-track excursions. You should also monitor tire wear and pit strategies in the first laps, especially for long circuits like the Nurburgring as you could need to anticipate pit stops when you still have a confortable lead instead of waiting for the computer to do it.

Btw my Audi A4 DTM won the Nurburgring 24 hours by 8 laps on the 2nd place car and 22 laps on the last one Big grin.

Now I have a nicey Formula One car to run circles around the opposition  Smile

UTA

airbusA346

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:59 pm

How many credits do you have UTA and what cars.

Right at this second I have 13,402 credits and a Honda Civic Type R (EK) '98, I want a Subaru for power then I might buy a DB9 or something like that, when I have the credits.

Tom.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:35 pm

Around 6.800.000 credits as of this morning and 70+ cars.
My weapons of choice :
HPA Motorsports GTI R32 (600 HP)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R34) (788 HP)
Audi A4 Touring Car (820 HP)
Peugeot 905 GT Race car (1047 HP)

Other cars apart from the prize cars are an Alfa 147 GTA, Alfa GT 3.2, Mercedes E55 AMG, Renault Megane 2.0 IDE (in gris boreal lol), etc...

29.3 % of the game so far.

UTA

airbusA346

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:52 pm

Have you noticed the writing on the track at Nurgburgring, does anybody know what it says

Also has anybody been around the Nurgburgring for real. Not in the game.

Tom.

cornish

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:10 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 43):
has anybody been around the Nurgburgring for real. Not in the game.

No but really want to, next time I go over to Germany in the car -could do with a tad more power for it though.

Have been round the parts of Le Mans on public roads, and also the awesome old Clermont Ferrand (Charade) circuit in the Auvergne region of France - just like a shortened Nurburgring - fantastic  Smile