Rj111

For You Americans Who Think 'Soccer' Is Boring

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:29 am

Behold the wonder that is Ronaldinho.....

http://pm16ar.free.fr/videos/polo1006/Polo1006-Ronaldinho-psg.wmv

[Edited 2005-03-15 22:35:35]

Kieron747

RE: For You Americans Who Think 'Soccer' Is Boring

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:39 am

I don't know why some Americans think soccer is boring. Since being in North America, I'd love to see a proper game of soccer or rugby again, not this daft American football they have here.

(I forsee serious objections to my remarks, but what the hell!)

Soccer is a fast-paced game, I watched a couple of football games here, and it seems to last for bloody ages, continually halting. Now please don't get me wrong, I don't understand the rules properly, it just seems painfully dull here.

And another thing, whats with all the pads and helmets? I don't see any of that crap in a good old game of rubgy. The blokes there in the scrum are just big bastards, no need for all that plastic padding!

So anyway, feel free to chew me out over that one, what do I know anyway, I like cricket!

FLINTOFF RULES!

Regards

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

mauriceb

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:39 am

Must admid that Ronaldinho and Etó are a lethal duo....

L-188

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:54 am

Did you ever see that Simpsons episode where they go to the soccer match?

Kent Brockman is in the both doing the play-by-play, bored out of his mind.

Half-back passes to center...Center holds it....holds it....holds it...

Then in the next both they have what I assume is a sterotypical south american announcer...much more excited.

Half-back passes to center!!! CENTER HOLDS IT!!!!

HOLDS IT!!!

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:55 am

I am an American and I think futbol (soccer) is a very exciting game.
I'll tell you what's boring and that's Baseball.
Sorry baseball fans but watching that game puts me to sleep. Playing baseball is fun.

Bring back the Concorde

mdsh00

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 1):

And another thing, whats with all the pads and helmets? I don't see any of that crap in a good old game of rubgy. The blokes there in the scrum are just big bastards, no need for all that plastic padding!

Ah here we go again! American football players tend to be twice the size of the average Rugby player and are trained to run as fast. Imagine a 300lb lineman plowing into your side like a freight train. Even with pads, American football players get injured.

It also seems slower to non-North Americans people because they don't understand the rules. If you get to know the rules, football can be quite exciting and intricate as there are so many things going on during the play. And by the way...I find cricket even more boring than I find baseball. And I find baseball pretty boring.

I find SOCCER an okay game. No doubt the players are talented in their own right, but on TV it just looks like a ball being kicked back and forth, up and down a big field.

Another thing. Here in the US, soccer has the connotations of a "kids' game." This is where you get the term "soccer moms."

[Edited 2005-03-15 23:02:15]
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Rj111

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:01 am

Then in the next both they have what I assume is a sterotypical south american announcer...much more excited.

That was fooking hilarious. It's an incredibly accurate impersonation of a Latin commentator too.

aa61hvy

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:14 am

Thats a cool video, but those are highlights, not every game is like that.

Thats like showing a Michael Jordan highlight reel of his career. He had some awesome stuff, but alot of the time it was just normal basketball.
Go big or go home

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
Sorry baseball fans but watching that game puts me to sleep.

you probably can't grasp the strategy that goes on in baseball.. It is a mind game, that is why so many people prefer sports that are totally brainless, like basketball and NASCAR.

I watched a couple of football games here, and it seems to last for bloody ages, continually halting. Now please don't get me wrong, I don't understand the rules properly, it just seems painfully dull here.

It is painfully dull here, and it does continually halt so people can waste an entire Sunday afternoon parked in front of that crap and so advertisers can squeeze in as many ads as humanly possible.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Arniepie

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:39 am

Did you ever see that Simpsons episode where they go to the soccer match?

L188

Reminds me of the episode where he got to stay sober for a whole month and decides to go to the baseball game and says "I didn't know this game was so boring."
[edit post]

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:50 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 8):
you probably can't grasp the strategy that goes on in baseball.. It is a mind game, that is why so many people prefer sports that are totally brainless, like basketball and NASCAR.

Incorrect.
FYI, I play Baseball for one year in high school as well as little league as a kid. Very familiar with the 'strategies' involved. I got a lot more out of play in band. I don't watch basket ball either nor NASCAR.
NASCAR is a joke because there is nothing 'stock' about those cars on the tracks.
The only sport I can enjoy watching is American football and Women's tennis.
As far as sports I like to play or do is downhill skiing and bicycling.
I like speed and adrenaline.

Every time there’s a baseball game there’s a damn traffic jam! > Angry
I hope the S.F. Giants loose every game this year so they wont make it in to the play offs, thus a short season!
Lest year was hell!
They won so many games and had home game advantage. It was never ending!
When ever they play it takes me 2 hours to get home and the city is flooded with suburbanites and there orange & black Giants paraphernalia!
Bring back the Concorde

bill142

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
Sorry baseball fans but watching that game puts me to sleep. Playing baseball is fun.

Ever watched a game of cricket? inparticular a test match?

A test match goes for five days. Although if your playing Australia four days is usually the maximum. Alot of people think cricket is boring. Not me tho.

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:54 am

I bet you I can kick your @ss in cricket Bill142!  Silly

Just kidding! Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

SLC1

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:59 am

Now if only soccer (and yes, that's the term I'm sticking with) was like that all the time, it might have some excitement. (Still better than football)

Quoting L-188 (Reply 3):

Half-back passes to center!!! CENTER HOLDS IT!!!!
HOLDS IT!!!

rotfl 
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

Kieron747

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:01 am

Ah yes Test Match Cricket is excellent. Especially if you get get to see it in person, I spent 3 days watching England against West Indies, beautiful sunshine, great atmosphere, plenty of beers, it was like a mini holiday!.

Cricket = thinking man's game, like a game of chess on the field.

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

CactusA319

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
I hope the S.F. Giants loose every game this year so they wont make it in to the play offs, thus a short season!
Lest year was hell!
They won so many games and had home game advantage. It was never ending!

Um, they missed the playoffs last year. You might be thinking of 2002 when they went to the World Series (taking it the full 7 games before blowing it). Then again the Major League regular season is 162 games long, so it seems like forever.

The players are much bigger and generally faster than the rugby blokes. Plus the collisions in American football are much more severe than those in rugby, hence the need for pads and helmets. The game was originally played in the early 20th century with no equipment whatsoever (similar to rugby) and was outlawed in many colleges due to the massive amount of injuries. American Football is far more violent than rugby.

N5176Y

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:19 am

Why would Americans think soccer is boring? It's the most widely played sport in this country.

Newark777

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 16):
Why would Americans think soccer is boring? It's the most widely played sport in this country.

No one watches it, honestly. There is virtually no interest in any kind of pro soccer in the US. MLS stadiums are routinely empty and the women's league folded. It's big in schools and with kids, but beyond that there is little interest. We like our baseball, football, and basketball, and that is part of our culture. We just aren't soccer people.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

N5176Y

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:25 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 17):
There is virtually no interest in any kind of pro soccer in the US.

PRO soccer in this country is a joke. But soccer is the most widely played sport from kindergarten through universities.

Superfly

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 15):
Um, they missed the playoffs last year. You might be thinking of 2002 when they went to the World Series

OK.
All I know is it was always a mess getting home on the train!
Bring back the Concorde

ren41

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:47 am

Soccer is a great sport. It's just that the only games we see on TV here are MLS games. That league is CRAP compared to any European team. I can't wait to go to a real soccer game in Europe with all the hooligans. It would be a great time. The quality of professional play in the USA makes it similar to NFL Europe across the pond. I'm sure if good NFL players played in Europe the sport would gain popularity quickly.

R41

OttoPylit

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:19 am

I love soccer. But I also love American football as well. When I was younger, I was always considered by parents and coaches too small to play football, so I turned to soccer. Got to playing the game and found it highly competitive, extremely fun, and you competed while not wearing any kind of padding. Watching it can be somewhat boring, but having played it for as long as I have(since age 11), I guess any sport would seem that way. I do also love to watch American football, but only my favorite teams, hockey, and ironically enough, NASCAR racing, but only for the crashes. Lets face it, thats the only reason anyone watches NASCAR. lol

The few sports that I do hate are basketball, golf, and tennis.

Otto
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:01 am

Clearly you've never played American Football. Even with helmets, people get concussions and with pads, fractured ribs. That ought to tell you enough. American Football is incredibly violent. You should play it sometime. There's nothing more fun than putting a major stick on someone.

MD11Engineer

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:05 am

When I was living in Ireland, I liked to watch rugby occasionally. Several colleagues played it, actually our company had it´s own team made up from staff and hosted the World Airways Rugby tournament I think back in 2000.
Though i liked to watch the game I never played it. At my size (6 ft, 80kgs) and with me wearing glasses I wouldn´t have survived for 5 minutes out on the pitch. You could recognise our team members easily: They were VERY big and almost all of them had broken noses, short hair and cauliflower ears.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Newark777

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:06 am

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 18):
PRO soccer in this country is a joke. But soccer is the most widely played sport from kindergarten through universities.

That is what I am saying. It has yet to make that jump from popular sport among amateurs, to mainstream pro sport. It seems it is too late, though, as most attempts so far have failed.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

flymia

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:44 am

I also find soccer a fine game also. Not my favorite.
I also like Rugby as a learned how to play it while I spent some time in NZ.
I also like Cricket. Great game.
Also I am a huge Baseball Fan. And Basketball Fan. And American Football fan.

Football (soccer) is a fine game. I enjoy watching some Aresnal games when I get them on TV and playing it. But those clips are not all from one game. A match might have maybe 6 great plays. 3 goals and 3 great saves. Sure there is a lot of great plays but the ones near the goals are the ones remember. But Football and Baseball Basketball can have 6-8 plays a quarter. There may be 20 great plays in one game.

CaptOveur: basketball is not a brainless game. You need to make adjustments all the time. You don't just dribble and shot. Defense and offensive takes thinking. The only time that your not thinking in basketball is on a fast break than you just dribble and shoot. Nascar also takes much skill and thinking. Fuel and tires, when to go when not to go.

Kieron747: Many American Football players are bigger than any Rugby player. And those 350 pound lineman are not slow either. So when they hit you it hurts. Also the game is played in sudden sprints, and I know rugby you run a lot to but not like football with the sprints. And when two bodies hit each other both going full force. There are so many injuries with the pads. Without the pads there would be deaths every week.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

tbar220

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:08 am

"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"
NO URLS in signature

Rj111

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:13 am

Now if only soccer (and yes, that's the term I'm sticking with) was like that all the time, it might have some excitement. (Still better than football)

Just think of it like sex, a goal is an orgasm.

He's some more to wet your appetitie, in the form of Robert Pires....

http://m0ns.cjb.net/multimedia/magic.wmv

mdsh00

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:48 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 11):
Alot of people think cricket is boring. Not me tho.

Thats just because Australia is kicking a lot of arse right now.  Wink

Cricket is a fun game to play but I can't make it through watching it on TV. A test match? I'd rather shoot myself.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

PJ295

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:00 pm

Thats a cool video.....still though Soccer is not my cup of tea. My wife plays it every sunday during the fall and spring on a local womens rec league and she refuses to watch the game on TV. She says its funto play but very boring to watch. I would rather be out doing something personally, than killing a whole weekend sitting in front of the TV. Like my sticker on my car "kill your television"  Smile

Rj111

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:34 pm

I'm convinced to get you guys hooked on it, so here's a few more gems courtesy of Dennis Bergkamp.

http://www.michielpronk.nl/bergkamp.mpeg
http://www.hangtime.nildram.co.uk/goals/Dennis_Bergkamp_Ars1997.mpeg
http://www.eteamz.com/gtljfc/videos/Arsenalvleverkusen-bergkamp.wmv

Ohh and regarding the passionate commentary....

http://www.ouh.nl/svheerlen/mpegs/Dennisbergkamp.mpeg

....those crazy Dutch. *nods head*

KYIPpilot

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:45 pm

No disrespect meant, but I still think soccer is boring....
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

Falcon84

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:14 pm

Soccer is a fast-paced game.

Compared to two turtles racing a 100 meter dash, perhaps....
Work Right, Fly Hard

N317AS

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 16):

Just because it's the most widely played, doesn't make it exciting.
Americans like to score, two-one, one-nil, or worse, a freaking tie. Yawn!!!

I will tell you the best soccer game I ever went to was the Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps(?) in a playoff game right after the Kingdome in Seattle opened. Electric atmosphere. Final score. I believe 2-1.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

theCoz

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:44 pm

I can't figure out why Americans will put something as retarded as golf on TV, but find something like soccer boring. Can someone explain this to me?

I went to the FBR Open here in Phoenix and I spent more time watching this strange looking bird jump around the lake than watching any golfer.

I was so glad when I found the beer stand.

Anyway, I think soccer is great.

BartiniMan

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:26 pm

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 34):
I spent more time watching this strange looking bird jump around the lake than watching any golfer.

HAHA, I had a good laugh at that one.

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 22):
Even with helmets, people get concussions and with pads, fractured ribs. That ought to tell you enough. American Football is incredibly violent.

Rugby players get paralysed, how violent is that compared to NFL

Yeah Im a football fan (soccer)

mdsh00

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:51 pm

Quoting BartiniMan (Reply 35):

You get those kinda cases in American Football too.

Banco

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 36):

You get those kinda cases in American Football too.

Oh, stop it you two!  Yeah sure Big grin A pissing contest over who gets hurt more is a tiny bit silly, wouldn't you agree?  Wink Suffice to say, both games are rather physically demanding?

Football/soccer has the advantage that all you need to play the game is a ball, and put down some "jumpers for goalposts" (in joke for the Brits). No special equipment needed at all. So it's hardly surprising it gets played a lot, especially by children.

As for at a higher level, most countries have two or three major sports that take up almost all the interest at spectator level. Quite simply, there isn't really room for football/soccer in the US, because there are already sports in place. To turn it around, basketball is the other truly global game, but in the UK is very much a minority sport. Why? Because we already have rugby and cricket, and there's no room for basketball to gain critical mass.

And on the point about the US interest in football, reall, who cares? It's up to them. If the US never gains an interest in the game, none of us are going to lose any sleep about it, it's one country out of the whole world. If they don't care, why on earth should we?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:04 pm

We'll all disagree won this I suppose.
Football (proper name) is a great game.
American football is for women (get rid of the pads and prove that they are men and they might get a bit more respect).
Baseball is for women.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Falcon84

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:11 pm

In 1979, New England Patriots wide receiver Darryl Stingly was permanently paralyzed when Oakland Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum. The hit was considered legal, and Tatum was not even paralyzed, living up to his nickname, "The Assassin". Stingly has been a quadrapalegic ever since.

That violent enough for you?
Work Right, Fly Hard

KROC

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:14 pm

Soccer is still boring. Some patched togehter highlights from several games is not going to make the game exciting. Other than the highlights shown, there is still about 88 minutes of complete boredom at a Soccer Game.

Banco

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 40):
Soccer is still boring. Some patched togehter highlights from several games is not going to make the game exciting. Other than the highlights shown, there is still about 88 minutes of complete boredom at a Soccer Game.

You could say the same about any sport, really. I find American football interminable, 20 seconds of action followed by a five minute break, but hey, that's me.

I don't see why it should be a crusade to convert people anyway; millions like it, millions don't. I don't really care whether Americans do or not. It's not as if the game is struggling to survive without them, is it?

Falcon84

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:33 pm

20 seconds of action followed by a five minute break, but hey, that's me.

Interesting chronology, since in American football, the offense only has 30 seconds after the last play to run the next....
Work Right, Fly Hard

Banco

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:44 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 42):
Interesting chronology, since in American football, the offense only has 30 seconds after the last play to run the next....

Never claimed to know the game, did I? Big grin

That's just how a non-fan like me perceives it. Kind of like the way KROC sees football/soccer really.

KROC

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:50 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 41):
You could say the same about any sport, really. I find American football interminable, 20 seconds of action followed by a five minute break, but hey, that's me.

I agree about Football though. The average play lasts 5 seconds, then there is about 45 seconds of jerking off. I get bored watching some NFL: games. College is much better imo.

Banco

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 44):
I get bored watching some NFL: games. College is much better imo.

I've always found the popularity of college games in the US fascinating - and have asked about it before. We really don't have anything comparable to that over here. I suppose the whole structure of professional sport is so different.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:53 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 45):
We really don't have anything comparable to that over here.

There's the boat race  Smile

Re soccer being boring - YES IT IS !! Ho hum, overpaid spamheads kicking a ball around for GBP10,000 a minute, cheered on by 50000 other spamheads as if their lives depended on the result. Panem et circenses !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 46):
There's the boat race

Nah. It's always the same two teams in the final.  Wink

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:01 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 47):
Nah. It's always the same two teams in the final

Yes but unlike soccer, there's a possibility that one team will sink without trace  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

USAFHummer

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 45):
I've always found the popularity of college games in the US fascinating - and have asked about it before.

The experience and environment of going to a college football game in person too is much better than an NFL game in person...here in the US, the top few largest (capacity wise) non-racing stadiums serve as on college football stadiums, many of them located right on the campus themselves...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru