mdsh00

Path To Grand Central Station?

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:59 pm

I guess this is a part 2 to a thread I made earlier.

I am flying into EWR and I need to get to Grand Central Terminal. I called my uncle in New Jersey and he told me that there is a PATH bus that takes you to near Grand Central. Is there something like this or did I misunderstand him? I do remember him saying that PATH trains are cheaper than NJ Transit. So which one is better?

Thanks...
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Mir

RE: Path To Grand Central Station?

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:16 pm

PATH is a train, which will take you to 33rd and 6th Avenue. Grand Central is on 42nd and Park Avenue (which is 3 blocks east of 6th).

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it if you have luggage. That area can be crowded, and difficult to maneuver through. If you need to get from NJ to Grand Central, I would take the PATH to the World Trade Center stop, then walk to the Fulton Street subway stop and get on the 4 or 5 train going uptown, which will go to Grand Central. It shouldn't be too much of a walk (a few blocks only), and the 4 and 5 are very fast.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

mdsh00

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
I would take the PATH to the World Trade Center stop, then walk to the Fulton Street subway stop and get on the 4 or 5 train going uptown, which will go to Grand Central. It shouldn't be too much of a walk (a few blocks only), and the 4 and 5 are very fast.

How long does this take? I was thinking of taking a shuttle bus which is supposed to take about an hour.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

MAH4546

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 2):
How long does this take? I was thinking of taking a shuttle bus which is supposed to take about an hour.

The PATH from Newark to WTC is only about a 20 minute train ride, and the 4/5 train from Fulton to Grand Central is very quick. 10-12 minutes.
a.

prosa

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:44 pm

PATH doesn't run directly to EWR. The airport monorail connects with New Jersey Transit and Amtrak trains that run to Penn Station in Newark, where you can get PATH - or simply stay on the train until you get to Penn Station in Manhattan (in other words, there are two Penn Stations).
If you have luggage, it probably would be easier to take the Olympia Trails bus from EWR to Grand Central.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

mdsh00

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting PROSA (Reply 4):
If you have luggage, it probably would be easier to take the Olympia Trails bus from EWR to Grand Central.

Yeah I will have some luggage. I found out about Olympia Trails and will probably take that. I hope traffic won't be heavy at 3:30-4:00 on a Tuesday

deltairlines

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:48 pm

I'll agree that the best bet is the shuttle bus if you have luggage, since it's one-stop shopping. If you want, you could take NJ Transit to Penn Station and get a cab (should be no more than $15-20 all in)...train is about 25 minutes, cab is about a 5 minute ride, and you avoid a lot of traffic (only Midtown traffic, but avoid NJ Turnpike traffic and the tunnels). Would not recommend the PATH trains...too many connections (Newark Penn, WTC to Fulton).

Jeff