ryanb741

Visas Required For Hong Kong?

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:34 am

Hi guys

I flew into Beijing last month and didn't realise I needed a visa, luckily it was sorted out at the airport.

I fly LHR-HKG-BKK next month on CX and wanted to know if Hong Kong needed British passport holders to get visas like China does. Also ,my wife is a Thai national, but I assume under ASEAN agreements she doesn't need a visa?

Any feedback gratefully received
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

JGPH1A

RE: Visas Required For Hong Kong?

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:47 am

No they don't. British passport holders can enter HKG for up to 3 months (could be 6, can't remember) without a visa.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

UAL747

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:15 am

Well, whether or not you need a visa depends on your country of citizenship. British citizens do not need a visa, niether do Americans. I found this out when I went to HKG back in 1999. But, like you said, in Beijing, you have to have a visa. When I flew to Beijing for my study abroad, (DFW-ICN-PEK KE B744, B773 for those who care), I think that most people who didn't have a visa could get one fairly easily at the airport. The fact is, I think you can fly without a visa, but to be released from the airport or customs, you must obtain a visa. My visa for China was sponsored by Beijing Capital University.

I suggest you get on your goverments website dealing with international travel. Very easy to find this information, in the US at least.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

n949wp

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:16 pm

The Hong Kong Immigration Department's website has a summary of visa requirements for entry into HK.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

'949

jasepl

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:03 pm

Ryan, even us Indians don't need a visa to go to Hong Kong! And we need one for nearly everywhere! So you should be 'safe'!

LH423

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:06 am

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 4):
Ryan, even us Indians don't need a visa to go to Hong Kong! And we need one for nearly everywhere! So you should be 'safe'!

Ahh yes, the dictionaries that some Indians plop down on the check-in counter because they have to continually staple their passports together because the visa remains valid longer than the passport.  Smile

No, most "Western" nations don't need visas to enter Hong Kong.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

thai747

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:14 am

No visa needed for Thai passport holders for up to 30 days so your wife should be alright

Jak

jasepl

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:52 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 5):
Ahh yes, the dictionaries that some Indians plop down on the check-in counter because they have to continually staple their passports together because the visa remains valid longer than the passport.

Ha ha! True. It can get very annoying! And then some insit on stalping right where the lines of code are at the bottom of the inside cover and then the machine can't read them anymore.

B747-437B

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:55 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 5):
the dictionaries that some Indians plop down on the check-in counter because they have to continually staple their passports together because the visa remains valid longer than the passport

I'm at 6 booklets (5 passports + 1 immunization record) and counting - all with a valid visa or two buried somewhere inside.

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 7):
some insit on stalping right where the lines of code are at the bottom of the inside cover and then the machine can't read them anymore

The only people who have MRPs are the folks who had the passports issued by the RPOs in India. I wouldn't trust my passport to those goons to save my life. My last 4 Indian passport booklets have been issued by Indian Embassies/Consulates on 4 different continents - all handwritten non MRP.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

mrniji

Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:01 pm

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 8):
My last 4 Indian passport booklets have been issued by Indian Embassies/Consulates on 4 different continents - all handwritten non MRP.

Does this mean that you will be denied entry in the states?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

B747-437B

Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:07 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 9):
Does this mean that you will be denied entry in the states?

The MRP requirement is only for those traveling under the VWP.

All current US visas in circulation are machine readable so they can be issued into non-MRP passports.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jasepl

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 8):
The only people who have MRPs are the folks who had the passports issued by the RPOs in India. I wouldn't trust my passport to those goons to save my life.

Chacun a son goût, I guess. I got mine done last year, in Bombay. The application was dropped off on a Tuesday and the new one was back in my hands on Saturday morning.

Those goons aren't there to save anyone's life anyway. They're meant to issue passports and they've been doing that quite well, thanks.

B747-437B

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 11):
They're meant to issue passports and they've been doing that quite well, thanks.

Actually, I'll dispute the "quite well" part. My uncle had a problem with the Mumbai RPO where after paying Tatkaal fees, etc.. to get his passport done at short notice it wound up with a picture of a woman wearing a sari instead. He wound up having to reschedule his trip while they took an affadavit, etc... from him verifying that he was not actually the woman. Quite ridiculous if you ask me and the big reason why I'd rather use a consular post abroad to do my renewals/extra booklets. In some obscure posts, you actually get red carpet treatment as the only poor sod coming around for passport services that month. You can even sit in the office of the Second Secretary (Consular) as the peon brings around Chai-Paani-Biscuit and he personally signs your passport with a green pen. None of that at the RPO!  Wink

jasepl

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:55 am

Even the trains in Switzerland arrive late at times.

I'm talking from first-hand experience. Without having to pay any rush fees or do anything out of the ordinary, I've had a prefectly good experience with the Passport Office.

Besides, I don't need the red carpet, chai-pani-nasta treatment to feel better about myself.