Christa
Topic Author

Mr Blue Sky..

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:36 am

Hello A.netters,

I was listening to Radio Wales BBC Radio Wales and they had a story going about Wales Welsh Rugby Team Website winning the Rugby Six NationsThe song they had playing was Mr Blue Sky by ELO.

I have to admit that I really like this song and is probably my favourite song ever. I know that the band were from the 1970's (I think) but who were they and where were they from? More importantly, where are they now?

What are your opinions on this song and the band?

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

Tom in NO

RE: Mr Blue Sky..

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:41 am

Great song, awesome band.

http://www.elomusic.com/

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ly7e7

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:42 am

Great band , indeed.

Check the complete info at http://www.allmusic.com
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

MYT332

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:43 am

Quoting Christa (Thread starter):
Mr Blue Sky

Sorry to say I prefer Mr Brightside. Big grin
One Life, Live it.

Christa
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:48 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 3):
Sorry to say I prefer Mr Brightside.

Yeah, the Killers are pretty good too!  bouncy 

However, Mr Blue Sky just makes me go hyper!  hyper   hyper 

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

Superfly

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:52 am

Christa:
You live in the UK and are asking us about the Electric Light Orchestra?

They are like the best band out of the UK.
OK 2nd. to the Beatles! Big grin

I have every E.L.O. LP from 'No Answer' (1972) till 'Balance Of Paower' (1986).
Also members from E.L.O. formed a group called Electric Light Orchestra Part II.
I have two of there CDs (1991 & 1993) and they are not good.
Jeff Lynn (ELO founder) was not a part of that.

Mr. Blue Sky is on the Out Of The Blue LP. (1977)
That is part IV of Concerto For A Rainy Day. The piece is all of side three.
That's my favorite LP by the band and the album cover is one of my all time favorites.
The first pressings of this album were blue see through LPs.
The album also comes with a Space Ship that you had to put together yourself and a poster.

Bring back the Concorde

Christa
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:01 am

Yeah, I am. I'm 16 years of age.. and I've never heard of this band before today, seriously. I'd heard this song before, but I'd never known the bands name!

Regards,
Chris

[Edited 2005-03-16 20:17:25]

Superfly

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:12 am

Christa:
You're never to young to expose yourself to great music from the past.
I also forgot to mention that E.L.O. is from Birmingham U.K.
Bring back the Concorde

Christa
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
Christa:
You're never to young to expose yourself to great music from the past.
I also forgot to mention that E.L.O. is from Birmingham U.K.

Very true, indeed. So, they're from Birmingham.. about an hour and a half drive away from me. If anybody is interested I am just about to purchase the greatest hits album off Amazon UK

Regards,
Chris

Superfly

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting Christa (Reply 8):
I am just about to purchase the greatest hits album off Amazon UK

Good move.
I am courious as to which 'greatest hits album' it is. When bands get old & washed up, there record labels tend to scamble up there songs and put them on various greatest hits or best of albums.
Other albums from there peak you want to consider is:
Eldorado (1974)
Face The Music (1975)
A New World Record (1976)
Out Of The Blue (1977)
Discovery (1979)
Xanadu Soundtrack (1980)
Time (1981)

Jeff Lynn went on to make solo albums and became a Travelling Wilbury with Tom Petty, George Harrison and Roy Orbison.
Bring back the Concorde

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:42 am

If I was new to ELO, and was looking to buy one ELO compilation, I probably go for "Strange Magic":
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2-0839151-9224906?v=glance&s=music

As one of reviews mentions, it does leave off some of the music from "Xanadu", but all in all, it's an excellent collection.

However, you can never beat buying the individual albums. Lots of great tidbits in those not-so-well-known songs.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

srbmod

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:44 am

Unfortunately, they used this song as the opening theme to that trainwreck (or is it plane wreck) of a show LAX

tristarenvy

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:48 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
Xanadu Soundtrack (1980)

Lynne has always maintained his hatred for the soundtrack for "Xanadu". He claims that album killed the group. The fact that they seemed to have trouble landing tunes in the Top 40 after 1980 in the US, may prove his point. The original group went bust in the mid to late 80's. He went on to produce for George harrison, The Wilbury's and others.

NONE of the released tracks from "Xanadu" are included on "Afterglow". However, there IS an unreleased versuion of it on an album called "Flashback", so maybe he got over his bias!

I missed a chance in the late 1970's to see them at "The Summit" in Houston. They would tour with a huge "spaceship" for a stage prop, and their shows were the stuff of legends, I hear....

In the summer of 1977, a freind of mine and I would run errands for his dad's company between Houston and Galveston, in a 1974 Olds Delta 88 convertible, w/top down and ELO in the...gasp....8-track player!!!

"Sherman, set the Wayback machine for 1977!"

[Edited 2005-03-16 21:04:43]
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Superfly

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 12):
I missed a chance in the late 1970's to see them at "The Summit" in Houston. They would tour with a huge "spaceship" for a stage prop, and their shows were the stuff of legends, I hear....

...and you are still kicking yourself in the @ss for missing that, right?
That was some show to see. I have video clips from it at Wembly. When they played the Los Angeles Coliseum, they caused a huge traffic jam on the Harbor Freeway (110) when the top of the spaceship rose out of the stadium.
Keep in mind that's also in the approach path to LAX.

When I was in 11th grade (1990), I had to write a paper on a historical event in which we could go back in time in revisit. Other classmates wrote about Moses, French Revolution, Noahs Ark, American Revolutionary War, Civil War and the Roaring 20s.
I wrote about the Electric Light Orchestra concert on the Out Of The Blue tour 1977-78. Big grin

I've heard Jeff Lynn on Rockline in 1990 when he released a really bad solo album (Armchair Theater). He was totally knocking the entire ELO experience as if he regreats it.
HELLO JEFF! Your solo stuff blows chunks!
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:19 am

That banging sound you hear is me still kicking myself.

As I understand it, that set was so cumbersome and difficult to assemble they would only use it every other concert. Someone told me Houston was not going to have it, so that's probably why I missed it.

There was a special on VH-1 that had ELO perform, about a year or two back. He was with them, and they sounded pretty good. But nothing would beat an area sized show w/a symphony backing them up!

Well, ELO on a hot Texas July afternoon at about 90 m.p.h. cranked up, sounded pretty damn good, too!!!!

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
When they played the Los Angeles Coliseum, they caused a huge traffic jam on the Harbor Freeway (110)

The only other band I knew could do that was when Springsteen played the Coliseum in late '85. I flew from a conference in OKC back to LAX, went straight to the show. The ongoing gag on Rick Dees' radio show the next morning was that commuters driving up the Harbor to work could still hear the Boss belting them out.

"Xanadu" also marked the beginning of the slowdown for both Olivia Newton-John ("Physical" notwithstanding) and Cliff Richard.

Tom at MSY

Klaus

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:31 am

Ah yes... ELO!
They´ve always been part of my personal soundtrack back from when I grew up in the 1970s, and they still are.  bigthumbsup 

tristarenvy

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 15):
"Xanadu" also marked the beginning of the slowdown for both Olivia Newton-John ("Physical" notwithstanding) and Cliff Richard.

Seems that most everyone in that flick went towards obscurity!

ONJ went on to "Two of A Kind" (yech!) And married a co-star from "Xanadu" Matt Latanzi (Lucky bastard!)
Gene Kelly did an series or two, then retired, for good.
Michael Beck did "Megaforce" and some other forgettable stuff.

And the group "The Tubes" (The rock band that combines with the swing band in the movie) had a hit or two and blew up....

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:13 am

Didn't ONJ also have a bout with breast cancer?

Tom at MSY

willo

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:21 am

I saw the ELO "Out of the Blue" tour at Wembley Arena back in early '78. It was pretty amazing even in that soulless barn of a place.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 17):
And the group "The Tubes" (The rock band that combines with the swing band in the movie) had a hit or two and blew up....

I also saw The Tubes back in about 1981. They were probably one of the best live bands I ever saw. They were wild, I remember them having loads of run-ins with the authorities for being lewd and generally outrageous. They were even banned in some towns. Who remembers Fee Waybills boots?

There are absolutely no bands around these days that can hold a torch to them. Fabulous  goodvibes 

tristarenvy

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:22 am

Correct, and a divorce from Mr. Latanzi. She remarried, not too long ago.

I watched an interview with her, w/a reporter from MSNBC a while back. The guy was about my age, and you could tell he was a fan. At the end of the interview, he said to her, "You know you are responsible for making a lot of American males of my age range interested in Australia?" She laughed, and said that was NOT the first time she'd heard it.

She was part of the ceremonies at the Sydney Olympic games in 2000, along with John Paul Young ("Love is in the Air")

Superfly

Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting Willo (Reply 19):
I saw the ELO "Out of the Blue" tour at Wembley Arena back in early '78

I HATE YOU!  biting   Silly
You are one lucky soul!

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 15):
Xanadu" also marked the beginning of the slowdown for both Olivia Newton-John ("Physical" notwithstanding) and Cliff Richard.

...and I thought Suddenly the wheels were in motion, and I...
alright I'll stop singing. Big grin

The guy who replaced Jeff Lynn in ELO Part II sounded like he went to Jeff Lynn's school of vocals. It's painful to listen to. The poor guy is straining so hard to sound like Jeff Lynn and John Lennon in some songs.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 12):
In the summer of 1977, a freind of mine and I would run errands for his dad's company between Houston and Galveston, in a 1974 Olds Delta 88 convertible, w/top down and ELO in the...gasp....8-track player!!!

That's when you know, you have 'arrived'.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

LY744

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:19 pm

Ah, "Mr. Blue Sky". There's just something about that song isn't it? Big grin Even for a classic rock (and ELO) fan like myself, that song always hits a special note, so to speak.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

saintsman

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:23 pm

I would just like to add Roy Wood's contribution. As one of the founding fathers of ELO he did introduce the strings sound to the band which was one of ELOs distinguishing features.

Superfly

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:00 am

Another interesting fact.
Electric Light Orchestra was the backing band for R&B singer Maxine Nightingale re: (Righ Back Where We Started From)
and the string section & producer Louis Clark worked with Ozzie Osbourne on Diary Of Madman, Blizzard Of Oz and a few other albums by him.
Bring back the Concorde

dan-air

Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:55 am

One of my all time favorite bands - ELO.

I'm so old, I too got to see them at Wembley in '78, I had a fairly good seat for their first night there. Tony Curtis introduced the band, and there were some minor Royals present. Great show, even with the heavy use of pre-recorded backing tracks to re-produce the sound. One of the "highlights" was the laser show - I guess it was pretty revolutionary at the time but looks amateurish when compared to special effects incorporated in shows nowadays.

As far as musical input, ELO was Jeff Lynne. He wrote everything, and recorded most the big-selling albums without the band, they got the band together for touring mainly. The lame-o "ELO II" that has toured the last ten years or so is comprised of a few of the band members (notably Bev Bevan who was in on ELO from the start and is a talented drummer) playing the ELO classics together with their own material. Lynne is not involved in ELO II, and I don't think he approves - but what the hell, he made most of the cash during their heyday, and those old guys need the income!

I've seen Olivia live a number of times too - got to meet her backstage at one show. Don't think she has re-married though, she lives mainly in Oz now I think, and comes to the US to tour. She's great live, and a very nice lady in person.

Delta717

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:27 am

My most played song on iTunes and on my iPod!

Continental

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:13 pm

Mr. Blue Sky by ELO was the song for the Volkswagen commercial a year or two ago. That's when I first heard about it and the band.

Superfly

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting Dan-air (Reply 25):
The lame-o "ELO II" that has toured the last ten years or so is comprised of a few of the band members (notably Bev Bevan who was in on ELO from the start and is a talented drummer) playing the ELO classics together with their own material.

My friend's ex-wife saw them at a county fair in Wisconsin in 1996. They played on a bandstand and performing older ELO tunes yet people were just walking about eating cotton candy and popcorn lot really paying them any attention. In fact there were more people at the kids petting zoo and more people waiting in line to ride the ferris wheel then people watching ELO II.

That's really sad.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

Jean Leloup

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:33 am

Dan-air;

Based on your description, the concert you went to is now available on a live DVD (that I have bought), including the odd Tony Curtis introduction.

ELO actually reunited (WITH Lynne) in 2001 for a tour. Ticket sales were not good, and the tour was called off following September 11th. There is a DVD out somewhere from that tour, as well, but I'm not sure if it's any good.

Eldorado by ELO is my all-time favourite album by any band. I just fell in love with the old LP which my dad had bought in high school...

Leloup

p.s. Superfly, your love for ELO has finally landed you on my RU list.  Smile
Next flight.... who knows.

Superfly

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:44 am

Jean Leloup:
Thanks man.  Smile

I think the ELO part II really ruined the name and many people probably didn't know that Jeff Lynne was back.
Jeff Lynne spent 10 years badmouthing ELO altogether and them reuniting with the group makes him look cheesy.
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:54 pm

Going to see any variation of ELO w/o Jeff Lynne would be like Wings w/o Sir McCartney.

diesel1

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:30 am

Christa

What you really want is the Cardiff link to ELO...

ELO Violinist Mik Kaminski is the son of the guy who ran and owned (what is now known as) the Moat House Hotel in Cardiff (on the A48 in Pentwyn) when it first opened..

Want to know more about ELO ? Then go here... http://www.face-the-music.de/frame_e.html
I don't like signatures...