mika

Restriction Of Who You Can Send SMS'ses To?

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:37 am

This probably goes out to the people in here that know alot about the GSM/UMTS network and its capabilites. A thought just crossed my mind when i thought about what my ex-girlfriend told me some time ago. She said that her Kazakhstani cellphone operator "K-Mobile" has to have an agreement with the operator that she is sending SMS'es to. In my wildest imagination i cant believe that this would be correct. Can it possibly? I mean what kind of service would that be if you cant send SMS'es to whoever you want because the recepient might not have a contract with an operator that your own operator has an agreement with. It sounds strange, in my eyes you shouls be able to send SMS'es to whomever that has a cellphone number, anywhere in the world. Have i lived under a rock all the mobile era?

My own worries are directed at the fact if it is possible for me to communicate unrestrictedly with my "3" contract, i am worried that people that have my number might not be able to reach it by SMS because their operator might not have this agreement with my operator.

Thankful for any input.

mika

RE: Restriction Of Who You Can Send SMS'ses To?

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:05 am

Anyone?

I'd really want to know if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks in advance.

OV735

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:11 pm

I haven't heard of such a thing before, but I'd consider it possible. Anything is possible in the former Soviet Union. I had to make long distance calls through an operator until 1990, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some contracts that K-Mobile needs to have with foreign operators and that haven't been signed yet due to political/geographical/development issues.

Theoretically, the message goes through the networks of both the sender and the recipient, and thus there would probably be some kind of agreement between the two...  Confused

Sorry if this wasn't much of an help.

L410Turbolet

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:25 pm

I am almost certain that in the beginnings (1998-1999) the customers of the German operator E-Plus could not send/receive SMS messages other than to/from their own network.

I hope someone from the German a.netters will confirm this!?

MD11Engineer

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:32 pm

Since the message will go through several networks, I assume it is mostly a matter of how much of the money charged for each message will go to whom. If the different companies don´t have agreements concerning this issue I can imagine that they will block each other´s networks.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:51 pm

Surprising.
But its a possibility.
Although I believe SMS's should not be restrictive.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

mika

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:40 pm

If the different companies don´t have agreements concerning this issue I can imagine that they will block each other´s networks.

The strange thing is that i can send messages to K-mobile subscribers and i do even get a delivery report so the traffic is in that case only blocked in the K-mobile to 3 direction. That would be very odd.

Anyways, thansk for your input guys and keep it coming if you know some more. I'll talk with the phone companies about this too.