solnabo

US Citizens Visit Other Countrys?

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:12 pm

Maybe a old topic, but anyway:

I´m just curius of what you US guyz seen and think of other culture and people!

Thx!

Micke//SE  wave 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

LHMark

RE: US Citizens Visit Other Countrys?

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:25 pm

I try to go to Europe once a year. I really like the pace of life, depth of history, culture, and people. It gives you an impression about how similar, and yet how different, people on the other side of the pond can be.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:29 pm

Bullcrap Mark. You just like the beer. You don't fool anyone.

Usairwys757

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:33 pm

Why don't you just move to Europe then Mark. We'd sure be better of in US if this were to happen.  Wink

And what do you mean you like the pace of life? Maybe you meant they don't look at you like a loser when your unemployed??  Wink
Inactive.....

gkirk

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:34 pm

KROC, You dont know something about Mark. When he talks about culture in Europe, he actually goes to France and turns into a French drag Queen named Sebolino  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

LHMark

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:38 pm

Sigh... it's too early in the morning to go digging out the Piazza.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Usairwys757

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:49 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 5):
it's too early in the morning to go digging out the Piazza.

Yeah.....its not like you have anything better to be doing, like going to work.  Wink
Inactive.....

KROC

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:08 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 4):
KROC, You dont know something about Mark. When he talks about culture in Europe, he actually goes to France and turns into a French drag Queen named Sebolino

Actually, I find this rather funny. Especially because it is ripping on Sebolino as well.  Wink

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 6):
Yeah.....its not like you have anything better to be doing, like going to work.

Troyvis has brought out the heavy guns. I think he is gunning for Mark's Consigliere spot.

LHMark

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:18 pm

'scuse me, Troyvis, do I have "Airlinelover" written at the top of my posts? As an on-the-books production designer, I'm missing the relevance of your unemployment references.

Remember, my friend, I'm not the one who had to leave the ATL for Sorrycuse just to find a job. How is the Carousel Center Brookstone, by the way? When they expand the mall, they might make you Assistant Shift Supervisor. If they can get you to stop playing with the "personal massagers," that is.

NIKV69

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:25 pm

I have been to Italy, Brazil and Portugual. I love Brazil the most, probably due to the girl down there I want to marry!  kiss 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

1MillionFlyer

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:25 pm

I used to line in Amsterdam in the Jordaan area of town I loved it!

I worked for a software company and worked in:

UK
Belgium
Netherlands
Finland
Sweden
France
Germany
Spain
Israel
Ireland

I vacationed in most of these countries as well as:

Italy
Austria
Canary Islands
Canada
Mexico
Australia
BVI (Tortola)
Bahamas

I can tell you that I wish it would be mandatory for US citizens to travel abroad, it might help with the vast majority of the populations ignorance of foreign affairs.

Sadly only 5% of the population in the US hold a passport!
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:27 pm

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 10):

Wow. Does anyone have figures for other countries, to put this in context ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LHMark

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:36 pm

1millionflyer, could you source that statistic? We basically need a passport to travel to Canada now, so the number has likely risen in the past couple of years.

KROC

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:44 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 8):
'scuse me, Troyvis, do I have "Airlinelover" written at the top of my posts? As an on-the-books production designer, I'm missing the relevance of your unemployment references.

Remember, my friend, I'm not the one who had to leave the ATL for Sorrycuse just to find a job. How is the Carousel Center Brookstone, by the way? When they expand the mall, they might make you Assistant Shift Supervisor. If they can get you to stop playing with the "personal massagers," that is.

And LHMark turns Troyvis into The Coz. Well done.

BCNGRO

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:22 pm

I vacationed in most of these countries as well as:

Italy
Austria
Canary Islands
Canada
Mexico
Australia
BVI (Tortola)
Bahamas

Yeah, Canary Islands is a very nice country  Wink
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

1MillionFlyer

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:25 pm

Well I know it is actually part of Spain, but it felt like it's own country to me!

Playas las Americas rocks
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

dtwclipper

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting Solnabo (Thread starter):
´m just curius of what you US guyz seen and think of other culture and people!

I have lived in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria, and have traveled to most Western European countries.

I have enjoyed the high standard of living in Europe (at great expense), agree with 95% of the politics, however IMHO there is still a greater chance for advancement and individual growth in the States.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dl021

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:35 pm

I've been all over Europe, to Africa, Asia (both Near, SW and East) as well as Central and South America.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 1):
I try to go to Europe once a year. I really like the pace of life, depth of history, culture, and people.

Having done a good bit of traveling to the four corners of this flat planet I can say that there is alot of culture out there, with each place seeming to have something of its own. One very interesting truth to be found.....the dominant culture that seems to show up everywhere in dress, music, films and food is American culture. You can't go somewhere without finding a Levis and tshirt clad teenager trying to find a KFC or Mickey D's while listening to Elvis or .50 cent on their Apple I-Pod. When they go home they are often watching reruns of US television programs, or satellite channels that often originate in the US. This sometimes tends to make me think that culture is all around us here in the US and we just don't realize it.

Quoting KROC (Reply 13):
Remember, my friend, I'm not the one who had to leave the ATL for Sorrycuse just to find a job.

If you have to leave ATL to find a job then there are issues.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

JetService

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:47 pm

Before I went to France, there was a stereotype that the French were rude, particularly to Americans (this is before they really hated us). I was skeptical about this. No one was really rude except for a few (more on that below), but what I found remarkable was the people all seemed to walk around with a very blank serious stare all the time; almost sad looking. Here at home people usually are more open in public and generally look up at each other in passing and smile. Not in France. Even when I smiled at people, they wouldn't smile back. I heard later that in France, to smile at a stranger is to hit on them. I don't know if this is true or just someone pulling my leg. However, once you engaged strangers with a question or ask for help, they were very kind and very helpful at that point. Strangely enough, the only rude people I encountered was the servers. Servers are supposed to be on auto-friendly for the sake of their job but they were usually very rude. At a local restaurant, a waiter started out friendly to a group of 8 of us. A few of us had problems ordering from the French menu. One guy tried to order French onion soup. The waiter was confused and said, "You mean onion-soup?" We reminded our colleague he was in France and they probably don't call it French onion-soup. We all cracked up at him and this pissed off the waiter (apparently thinking we were laughing at him). Then someone tried to pronounce something off the menu. The waiter didn't understand and again we all started yucking it up at our friend. The waiter said in a very harsh pissed off tone "Tell you what-If you help me with my English, I'll help you with your French." Obviously he thought we were poking fun at him. The last straw was me was I ordered a steak and out of habit asked if they had A-1. The waiter gave me a confused look. I was embarrassed for asking and said 'forget it'. Then everyone at the table started laughing at me for the dumb question. At this point he stormed off to turn in our orders.

Other than that, people were very kind when you talked to them. I was also amazed at how many knew English. But it only seemed to by the younger people. The older ones generally didn't.

The architecture was gorgeous except for the modern building. All the office buildings and shopping areas made me feel like I was in the 70s. But the historic stuff was just awesome.

Foodwise, i couldn't stand it. In fairness however, we went during the Mad-Cow scare were beef was never served. they served chicken or fish. The fish was served whole and very nasty. No one I was with would eat it. I got real sick of chicked after three days. Breakfast was even worse. Their idea of breakfast is bread and sugary pastries. By the time my trip was over, I was so freaking hungry.

So all-in-all, I loved everything about the trip except the food and the people serving it.
"Shaddap you!"

lowrider

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:20 am

Been to Canada, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Equador, Chile, Argentina, and Cayman Islands so far. Coming soon, Japan and China. Learned a lot, had a good time, mostly. Can't wait to see Tokyo.
Proud OOTSK member

slider

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:31 am

I've been to 14 countries outside the US, excluding Canada and Mexico, and enjoy international travel for the most part.

I too think that it should be more prolific by Americans, but I would disagree with 1MillionFlyer in that such travel would fight stereotypes. From what I've seen, some of them, at least in Europe, would in fact be sadly re-affirmed.

I appreciate the Asian cultures and would say that Japan has been my favorite this far, along with the Netherlands.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting JetService (Reply 18):
Their idea of breakfast is bread and sugary pastries.

And what's wrong with that ? tartines au nutella - the breakfast of champions !  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ltbewr

RE: US Citizens Visit Other Country's?

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:43 am

Besides being in many areas of the USA (and you would be surprised at how many Americans see more than their home state or maybe California or Florida in their life), I have traveled on vacation to the following Countries and territories since 1983:
Australia (portions of NSW, Victoria, Queensland and ACT), New Zealand (both N & S Islands), UK 7+ times (including England, Scotland, Wales and No. Ireland), Ireland (2 times), Germany (3 times, when still E&W, when merging in mid-1990, and in 2000), Checz Rep. (mainly Prague), Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, France (several times mainly to Paris, other areas like Lyon), Spain (mainly Madrid & Barcelona), Various Caribbean Islands (Bahamas, St. Maatain, Saba, St. Eustasia, and others) and for work, BVI (Tortola). I have also been to several Canadian areas by my car, including Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City.
In almost all cases I stayed in guest houses, B&B's, youth hostels; used intercity trains or busses, except in UK/Ireland, enjoyed fine scenery, fine art and other museums, different cultures, food, architecture. I cannot recall of any really bad experiences in my travels, or conflicts with people, unless I made a bad judgment. I cannot wait for the euro to balance out to the USA dollar better, so I can visit a European country soon.

LHMark

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:47 am

Jet service sideslips into a good point: Americans do awesome breakfasts. The German Brotzeit is very nice, too, but not in that Delightfully greassy eggy American way.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 23):
Americans do awesome breakfasts

This is true - cripplingly huge breakfasts are a highpoint of any visit to rural America. It's worth the trip for the waffer-theen extra-crispy bacon strips. Mmmmmmm bacon striiiipppssssssss - arteriosclerosisalicioussss !

Going from that to two bits of bread, jam and a bowl of viciously strong coffee, takes some adjusting I would imagine.

LHMark

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:54 am

But our bread sucks.... nothing like a crusty fresh-baked pain de campagne...

Banco

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 23):
Americans do awesome breakfasts. The German Brotzeit is very nice, too, but not in that Delightfully greassy eggy American way.

You mean, the ones you stole from us and re-named "American"?  tongue 

(Well, sort of)  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 26):
You mean, the ones you stole from us and re-named "American"?

Since when did the great British heart-attack-on-a-plate feature pancakes and home-fries ? Or orange juice (which for decades in England was considered as an appetiser !)

Plus I doubt any red-blooded American would come within a country mile of black pudding (eeuwwuwuw !).

Banco

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 27):
Since when did the great British heart-attack-on-a-plate feature pancakes and home-fries

'Tis true!

Though I always have liked their idea of putting a steak on there as well.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 27):
of black pudding

Well. I could metion grits. What the hell are they anyway?

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 28):
I could metion grits. What the hell are they anyway?

Some form of bathroom sealant, best I could tell. Or wallpaper paste, possibly. Not good  yuck 

gkirk

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:19 am

Grits, isnt that what we do to the roads when it's icy?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

solnabo

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:52 am

Imagine this:

Breakfast at a piazza in Milano, cappuchino and pain riche w salami n cheese looking at beatyful guys n girls walking by!!!!

Mmmmmmm.......lov-e-lyy  Wink
Airbus SAS - Love them both

CaptOveur

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:03 am

They are something to do with corn.. not bad with an egg if you ask me.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 31):
w salami n cheese

Ewwuuwwuw - not for BREAKFAST ! What is it with North Europeans and charcuterie for breakfast ? It's not normal. Ham may possibly be permitted, accompanied by eggs, but the only place for cheese at breakfast time is inside an omelette.

SlamClick

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 17):
One very interesting truth to be found.....the dominant culture that seems to show up everywhere in dress, music, films and food is American culture. You can't go somewhere without finding a Levis and tshirt clad teenager trying to find a KFC or Mickey D's while listening to Elvis or .50 cent on their Apple I-Pod. When they go home they are often watching reruns of US television programs, or satellite channels that often originate in the US.

I remember one issue of National Geographic back in the 1980s had two pictures, in different articles; one of some European Royal children and the other of some slum kids (in the Dominican Republic maybe?) The irony - both kids were wearing Adidas t-shirts. (Okay, I know, Adidas is a German company, but cultural homogenization was the point.)
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

pilotaydin

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:32 am

DL 021, do u think that these cultural traits that resemble the USA are found in other countries because they want them, or because of imperialism?
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

mdsh00

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 35):
DL 021, do u think that these cultural traits that resemble the USA are found in other countries because they want them, or because of imperialism?

I'm not going to answer for DL021 but on what you said, I think a lot of it has to do with the people wanting them. For example, when I see the mass media coming out of India, I see kids trying so hard to be "westernized" that they reject their own culture. In fact sometimes it looks like children of NRI's have more culture than some back in India.

I'm sure this is the case in many other countries too.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

SLC1

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:54 am

Here's my list:

Aruba (it's stamped in my passport as Aruba, so that's what I'm going to say)
Austria
Canada
France
Germany
Italy
Liechtenstein
Switzerland
United Kingdom (just England so far, sadly)
United States
Vatican

Planned for soon:

Denmark
Hong Kong/China
Netherlands (or Holland, or whatever)
Sweden
Thailand

Probable in the next few years:

Finland
Ireland
Latvia
Lithuania
Norway
Russia
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

slider

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:55 am

I denounce the context of your question. You're implying that we FORCED our culture, entertainment, Hollywood, etc on the rest of the world.

I don't care for all the aspects of our culture--and in fact detest more of it with each passing day--but to make some claim of "cultural imperialism" is nuts.

Logan22L

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:36 am

Foodwise, i couldn't stand it. In fairness however, we went during the Mad-Cow scare were beef was never served.

I ordered a steak and out of habit asked if they had A-1.

Does not compute  crazy 

As for me I thoroughly loved Amsterdam. I actually did go for the culture - we didn't spend any time in the red light district at all. I love the architecture and the brick streets and the overall feel is just great. We were treated quite well, although the natives were fairly reserved.

As for breakfast, we stayed at the nh Hotel in Leidseplein (I forget which nh it is) near the American Hotel, and the food was fantastic. Smoked salmon and brie with all sorts of other goodies.  drool 

As for other food, Dutch risttafel, their adaptation of Indonesian cusine is fabulous.  yummy 

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

jasepl

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:43 am

I've had a fair few American friends come visit me in Bombay.

For some of them, one trip was enough. Some others keep coming back because they really like it here. One has even said that she could see herself living here!

dl021

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:16 am

Grits grow on large hedge bushes found in northern Georgia and southern Tennessee. They are grown as orchards (it looks like large hedgerows, sometimes done as mazes to attract tourists) and provide a nesting ground for snipes (a local bird that is often hunted at night in the grits mazes). They are naturally food for the snipes which are in turn food for the naugas that live in holes in the ground in the grits orchards and are prized for their hides, which can be found covering automobile seats and government furniture.

My friend...that is a loaded question but here is the answer. American culture was spread by our presence throughout the world because people wanted to be more like us. American ways are the ways of the successful, to state the perception simply, and they are fun. They symbolize freedom and comfort and success, thus are desired by the same people that come here to get educated and work while sending what they earn here back home.

If we were Imperialists we would still be the power over the Phillippinnes, we would never have helped Japan or Germany reach democracy and return to independent self government, and we would probably have taken over any nations that have resources we need.

But we are not imperialists...as much as some agitators and pundits want to make you think we are. I hope that comes across as answering your question and not being combative on this.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

airsicknessbag

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 11):
Does anyone have figures for other countries, to put this in context ?

Germany: 50%

Quoting Slider (Reply 20):
From what I've seen, some [stereotypes], at least in Europe, would in fact be sadly re-affirmed.

I'd be quite curious to see you elaborate a bit. Really interested. Thanks

Daniel Smile

jcs17

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:22 am

I actually came back from Sweden and Finland a couple of days ago (I've also been to France twice, Italy twice, Belgium, the UK, and Spain). The culture of Sweden was interesting. The people aren't very effusive at all when you first meet them, in fact you get the feeling that they just want you to go away, but they really open up after a few beers. The food for the most part isn't too foreign to an American, except it's expensive as is alcohol.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

JetService

Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:16 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 39):

Does not compute ??

Logan, the hotels/catering weren't serving it. Restaurants still did if you asked for it. We ate hotel food the whole time except the last day when we went out. Everyone was afraid to order a steak even at the restaurant, but I couldn't take it anymore. So I threw caution to the wind and ordered a filet. It was delicious and I survived.
"Shaddap you!"

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:39 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 39):
As for other food, Dutch risttafel, their adaptation of Indonesian cusine is fabulous.

I found the Asian food in AMS to be excellent in general - there are some wonderful little Chinese eateries hidden away between Dam Square and the Voorburgwal(sp?) (Red Light District) - really scruffy but the food is fantastic ! I had excellent Indian (including one very good Vegan meal, where I made the huge faux-pas of asking for butter, and was very pointed handed a small serving of margarine Big grin ), Thai, Mexican and Italian meals in AMS too.

Banco

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):
Grits grow on large hedge bushes found in northern Georgia and southern Tennessee. They are grown as orchards (it looks like large hedgerows, sometimes done as mazes to attract tourists) and provide a nesting ground for snipes (a local bird that is often hunted at night in the grits mazes). They are naturally food for the snipes which are in turn food for the naugas that live in holes in the ground in the grits orchards and are prized for their hides, which can be found covering automobile seats and government furniture.

You're a very, very bad person! Big grin  laughing 

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:08 pm

In my lifetime, I've traveled to all 54 US States and Territories and 27 foreign countries.

Some favorites:

Germany,
Holland,
Demmark,
UK,
Egypt,
Hong Kong (pre-Chinese rule),
Australia,
Curacao

One thing I learned a whiole back - study up before you go. Try to learn some basic rules on culture and language and you'll be fine.

Of course, there were some places I went that were much less than user friendly to someone in Camoflage, but that's another story and another life. Nonetheless, a quick study of the cultures there was also necessary in order to survive.

It's absolutely necessary to do this so that a) you don't look like more of a fool than you already are and b) you don't insult someone in the country you are visiting.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):

I gotta get me one of them there Grit Trees - try to find grits in Alaska - ha ha ha . . .

Haven't been snipe hunting a long time either!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:07 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 47):
I've traveled to all 54 US States and Territories

Aren't there more than 54 ? By my count

50 states +
US Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico
Guam
Northern Marianas
US Minor Outlying Islands
American Samoa

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 48):
Aren't there more than 54 ? By my count

50 states +
US Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico
Guam
Northern Marianas
US Minor Outlying Islands
American Samoa

District of Columbia,
Guam,
Puerto Rico,
US VI

I understand the others are referred to as Protectorates, and are not States (obviously), territories, etc. Hell, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND