rootsair

Bobby Fischer Is Safe! He's Going To Iceland

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Bobby Fischer left Japan this Thursday heading to Iceland .He was improsonned since 8 months in Japan and riskd extradition to the USAwhere he was to be judged for having played a Chess game in yougoslavia back in 1992 desite the sanctions .According to Washington he was not allowed to play that game where he gained around 3,35 million dollars

Iceland gave him Icelandic nationality so he can go theresafely
1) Why on earth did Iceland give him Icelandic nationality....does he have some link with Iceland
2) Is he condemned to stay in Iceland all his life ?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

joekuboj

RE: Bobby Fischer Is Safe! He's Going To Iceland

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:33 pm

1) His girlfriend is head of Iceland's chess association.

Quote some old from CNNs news:

There is widespread support for Fischer in Iceland, where he played the Soviet Union's Boris Spassky in a world championship match in 1972.

He has also applied to marry a Japanese woman who heads Iceland's chess association and is his longtime companion.

Regards,
Joe
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

rootsair

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:38 pm

Quoting JoeKuboj (Reply 1):
1) His girlfriend is head of Iceland's chess association.

thanks a lot for the info

Quoting JoeKuboj (Reply 1):

He has also applied to marry a Japanese woman who heads Iceland's chess association and is his longtime companion.

Applied to marry???? Never knew you had to apply to marry someone ....thought it was mutual love ...unless he's from a society that practises arranged weddings
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

joekuboj

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:52 pm

I am not sure, but I guess he applied to marry her (only) in order do avoid extradition to USA.

Regards,
Joe
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

bragi

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
2) Is he condemned to stay in Iceland all his life ?

You make it sound like it's such a horrible place.... Wink

I don't know exactly why Iceland should be a kind of a safe haven for him, normally it is much more difficult to obtain a citizenship here.

Regarding the Japanese woman he wants to marry, she is the head of the Japanese chess association I believe, not the Icelandic one.
Muhammad Ali: "Superman don’t need no seat belt." Flight Attendant: "Superman don’t need no airplane, either."

Alert3

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:29 am

I read once that Iceland loves him, because virtually no one had heard of Iceland until he played that match there in 1972. It boosted tourism, and "put them on the map." I will try to find the link.

Alert3

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:44 am

adding links from my last post

"An Iceland foreign ministry official said the residency was granted because of Fischer’s role in a major event in the nation’s history, the 1972 chess match in which he defeated Spassky, the Soviet grandmaster. The Icelandic Chess Association also has lobbied for Fischer’s asylum."

courtesy:
http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Dec/20041218News023.asp

"He put our country on the world map when he beat Boris Spassky in 1972," said Einar Einarsson, the former head of the Icelandic Chess Association. "Iceland is the only country in the world to step forward and help Bobby Fischer.”

courtesy:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7233296/page/2/

L-188

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:31 am

Sorry I posted anothe thread on this before I noticed yours.

I don't know why Iceland would blight their island with this sack of S#!^

Quoting Alert3 (Reply 6):
"Iceland is the only country in the world to step forward and help Bobby Fischer.”

Great, you help somebody that gave material support to a regime that slaughtered, how many Bosnians? The fact that Iceland is willing to harbor his says something very dark about their society.

At least the US has an extradition treaty with Iceland too, so hopefully the US will be able to put pressure on the goverment there to do the right thing, and bring this supported of ethnic cleansing and possible money launderer to justices.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MD-90

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:48 am

He has said many dumb things, which has not helped his situation, but I feel that the USG is wrong for persecuting him like this.

Here's a good article about Bobby:

The Hounding of a Chess Legend
http://www.lewrockwell.com/wall/wall27.html