aa777flyer

Your Opinion On George Bush? (Non US Please)

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:54 am

I am curious as to the way the rest of the world sees George Bush. I personally think he is an idiot and one of the worst Presidents the US has ever had. I cannot believe the rest of America was stupid enough to re elect him.

Anyway, I prefer comments from non US bases A.netters, their friends etc as to how they view President Bush.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

BA380

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:56 am

can't stand him. He is really hurting the 'USA' Brand round the world. I am a big Americano and love the US, but GWB is hurting your image around the world.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

JGPH1A

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:59 am

GWB is the worst thing to happen to the US's external relations since the Boston Tea Party - I am serious about this, the man has single handedly practically destroyed almost a century of growing common purpose between Old Europe and New America, and it's going to take a LONG time to repair that.
His domestic All-Jesus All The Time agenda is not helping either.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:02 am

GB seems to think he can fight the baddies all alone,without taking the Rest of the World into consideration.
USA is a great country but not such a great Leader.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

rootsair

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:06 am

I will not state my opinion on that S*n of a B***h cause I could write a whole novel.......

Now i don't wanna see anmore parodies or documentaries against him because it increases my rage on the fact he was re-elected ...people , instead of talking or making fun of him should act!!! See it didn't work well enough for the 2004 elections
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

dl021

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:21 am

There's a good way to get the chorus singing and reinforce your opinion of the President.....limit input to other than the US citizens who are the most affected by him, and ask what has proven to be a primarily anti-George Bush crowd (non-US Anetters) for input.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

gkirk

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:22 am

Decent bloke, just got bad people around him.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Schoenorama

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:22 am

Bush is a perfect example of how lobbying and special interest groups are slowly but steadily taking over the control of the government of the US of A, to carry out their particular hidden agendas, which rarely coincide with the official statements on important issues.

Whether its about invading oil-rich Iraq over WMD's, not signing the Kyoto Treaty because there simply is no Global Warming or critisizing Iran over its nuclear plans while at the same time ignoring Pakistan's role in handing over nuclear secrets to rogue nations, there's always this pro-democracy, pro-liberty and anti-terrorism mumbo-jumbo coming from Bush which in reality has very little if anything at all to do with his policies and actions.

It's this straight out lying to the people which bothers me most about Bush and his Administration. The second thing is that most people simply take whatever Bush says as the Truth and nothing but the Truth.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Thom@s

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 am

My opinion on Bush? Well I don't care much for him as President of the US. Whenever I say this to a person who likes Bush, they often reply "Well I'd like to see you do better as president." To which I normally reply "At least I know I'm not fit to become president of such a superpower."

In short, I do not support Bush.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Titch

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:24 am

Shouldn't that be '...Your opinion OF George Bush...'?

If I had to choose between my opinion and that daft b**tard, I'd win every time.    (sorry - couldn't resist!)

As for an answer to your original question, I'm not a fan. I love America and it's people (most of my family currently resides in the US), but how the hell did he get voted back in?!?

Another one of life's little mysteries, I guess........

Cheers,
Titch

[Edited 2005-03-24 18:27:31]
I'll make weapons out of my imperfections

Klaus

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:28 am

I think GWB himself isn´t the problem so much as the discrepancy between the reasons why many americans support him and the actual policies and their inevitable consequences.

The biggest problem with GWB is that he sells his policies purely on emotions; Very little of the openly promoted agenda holds up to even the slightest scrutiny.

Or in short: I don´t care if GWB is a "nice guy" (or poses as one), if he and his administration are pursuing policies which are nothing short of destructive to both the USA and the world.

DIJKKIJK

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:32 am

GWB is not bad, he is stupid.

He is basically a pawn in the hands of the big industry and christian right wing. He is stupid because he has allowed these forces to control him, take over the White House and influence his policies.

Once these right wingers and industry bosses get what they want, they are going to toss GWB out of their hands like a used napkin.

and once that happens, GWB will have no choice but to lie pathetically on the ground like a ...used napkin.

Don't get me wrong. I really think he is basically a nice guy, but in a lot of bad company.

If he wants to redeem himself, and his country, he has to learn to stand up and say "NO", to the people who are controlling him.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

A332

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:36 am

He's a dumbass president and a real poor example of an intelligent leader, and that unfortunately reflects in the people who put him in charge...

However, I bet he'd be a cool chap to hang out with and talk "regular Joe" talk with...  Smile
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

whitehatter

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:49 am

One perception which many share is that GWB is merely a front, and just repeating/doing what he has been told to say or do by shadowy figures who are neither visible or elected. His wooden speech style doesn't help.

Even more so than Reagan, who was the original 9 to 5 man and a master delegator.

When you consider how his style changed after being elected president that gives that theory much more credibility. His deal-making multipartisan side, from when he was Texas Governor, went out of the window and a more strident, aggressive Bush appeared.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Arcano

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:49 pm

Quoting BA380 (Reply 1):
can't stand him. He is really hurting the 'USA' Brand round the world. I am a big Americano and love the US, but GWB is hurting your image around the world.

Yeah, that's pretty much it...

Bill could cheat Hillary, but at least we kind of respected/liked the guy. GB... He will never had the "leader charisma" of many other US presidents, you just don't buy the guy...
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

zippyjet

Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:18 pm

I'm proud to be a native born citizen of this great USA! But, this is what I think of the retarded man impersonating a President.

BTW: Aa777flyer Congratulations! Welcome aboard my respected list!
 bouncy 
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

PacificWestern

Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:31 pm

He's a buffoon who surrounds himself with unworthy advisers. George W. was a nothing President until 9-11. Ironically, one of the worst tragedies in American history became the greatest saviour to Bush's political career. He uses fear and paranoia to sustain his presidency. That makes him no better than any extremist (religious or political) from anywhere else on the globe.

The majority of US citizens adore him, but the remainder of the world seems to despise him. I suppose the world is so, so wrong? Over these past few years, I've honestly tried to think of one redeeming quality of the man and I cannot. It's a pity he did not inherit the intelligence and savvy that Barbara has. The mother would have made a far, far better President than the son has.

[Edited 2005-03-25 07:34:41]

N317AS

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:22 pm

Quoting Titch (Reply 9):
As for an answer to your original question, I'm not a fan. I love America and it's people (most of my family currently resides in the US), but how the hell did he get voted back in?!?

Because his competition couldn't come up with a plan that he could say without having his fingers crossed behind his back or a smirk on his face.
We didn't need a Ted Kennedy puppet. Thank God we flushed the Johns in 2004.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

jcs17

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:28 pm

Zippyjet, with a job of customer service rep. at age 46-55, you must have taken very many advanced political science classes when you were in college.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

zippyjet

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:31 pm

Re: post 18: And your point being If I dare to ask?  Smile  airplane 

jcs17

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:34 pm

Your post is just so mature and so very full of insight. I mean, I honestly don't know whether or not you've earned your GED or actually earned a high school degree. It's just so advanced and way beyond our time...
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

zippyjet

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:46 pm

JCS17- What can I say? With the shape of our great nation in free fall these past four plus years, I'm glad, I can still maintain a sense of humor. I lived through Nixon, LBJ and Vietnam, Jimmy Carter, Daddy Bush and Reagan and I can't believe I now remember their administrations with a bit of fond nostalgia. That shows you the unfortunate state of our leadership today. We, are like lemmings heading toward the polluted sea. Or, to put it more relevant to A.Net: like a bunch of old retired NW DC 9's flying off toward their eternal ground nap in the desert. Sad I wonder if you are counting the days till 2008 where, I bet you are dreaming of a Karl Rove/Condaliza Rice GOP ticket or, are you for us changing our constitution SO Arnold S. Can man the Titanic or oops I meant to say the Republican Party ticket?  banghead 

tokolosh

Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:20 pm

I notice the press and many people refer to GWB being "re-elected". Let's not forget his first term was a stolen Presidency (for which Al Gore is equally to blame), and now he is acting as though he won a vast majority and has a total mandate. He is putting people with extremist views into positions of power. When 9/11 happened he squandered the goodwill and sympathy felt in many parts of the world for the U.S., and he is too stupid and arrogant to even realize that. Unfortunately I have to agree with some of the comments above that he is doing long-term damage to the U.S. Shame on him.
Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

yyz717

Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:32 pm

I disagree with some of Bush's positions, but I would vote for him if I was American. I am glad he was re-elected.

Canada's Conservative opposition party is pro-American and I am a member. We had a huge party here in downtown Toronto on the night of the election -- hundreds of Conservatives cheering on Bush as the results rolled in. Tons of American & Canadian flags festooned in the pub location. It was a great night.

Quoting Tokolosh (Reply 22):
Let's not forget his first term was a stolen Presidency (for which Al Gore is equally to blame)

You are incorrect. Bush won fair and square. He won a majority of the electoral college votes. His first term was absolutely legitimate.

Quoting Tokolosh (Reply 22):
now he is acting as though he won a vast majority and has a total mandate.

Umm....he HAS won a vast majority and he DOES have a total mandate. He won over 50% of the popular vote. NO other current Western leader in power now has such a mandate. The last Western leader who won 50% of the popular vote was Brian Mulroney in Canada in 1984. Bush's mandate is firm, and he should exercise it to his absolute advantage.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

N228UA

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:23 pm

GWB has certainly created a large division between left and right in the US and that is bad for the country. You cannot achieve anything without unity.

The only point I respect him on is that he seems to stick by what he says, as much as a politician can. No flip flopping like John Kerry.

Otherwise, I think he is a chimp.

QANTAS077

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:50 pm

he's certainly dangerous and not the sharpest knife in the draw, he's good for a laugh, but mostly we are laughing at him and his stupidity or his verbal errors. i think Americans deserve someone alot better as there President, after his jumping on the bandwagon regarding the Shaivo casse it proved just how fuked up he really is.

flyingbronco05

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting N228UA (Reply 25):
The only point I respect him on is that he seems to stick by what he says, as much as a politician can. No flip flopping like John Kerry.

You have to be kidding me!

So Bush has a site somewhere that tracks Kerry's "flip-flops". Reader TK probably spent three seconds coming up with this list of Bush flip flops. It's not like they're hard to find:

Bush is against campaign finance reform; then he's for it.

Bush is against a Homeland Security Department; then he's for it.

Bush is against a 9/11 commission; then he's for it.

Bush is against an Iraq WMD investigation; then he's for it.

Bush is against nation building; then he's for it.

Bush is against deficits; then he's for them.

Bush is for free trade; then he's for tariffs on steel; then he's against them again.

Bush is against the U.S. taking a role in the Israeli Palestinian conflict; then he pushes for a "road map" and a Palestinian State.

Bush is for states right to decide on gay marriage, then he is for changing the constitution.

Bush first says he'll provide money for first responders (fire, police, emergency), then he doesn't.

Bush first says that 'help is on the way' to the military ... then he cuts benefits

Bush-"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. Bush-"I don't know where he is. I have no idea and I really don't care.

Bush claims to be in favor of the environment and then secretly starts drilling on Padre Island.

Bush talks about helping education and increases mandates while cutting funding.

Bush first says the U.S. won't negotiate with North Korea. Now he will

Bush goes to Bob Jones University. Then say's he shouldn't have.

Bush said he would demand a U.N. Security Council vote on whether to sanction military action against Iraq. Later Bush announced he would not call for a vote

Bush said the "mission accomplished" banner was put up by the sailors. Bush later admits it was his advance team.

Bush was for fingerprinting and photographing Mexicans who enter the US. Bush after meeting with Pres. Fox, he's against it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/3/7/213753/1954
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/28/politics/main646142.shtml
http://www.democrats.org/specialreports/top10_flipflops/
http://www.americanprogressaction.or...LWJcP7H&b=118263&rghtnav=readmore2
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43093-2004Sep22.html

Nice try, but your excuse is not true.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

agill

Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:00 pm

He's probably not as great as many americans seem to think, but then probably not as bad as many europeans seem to think.

funflyer

Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:10 pm

The world has no business up in our business.  Smile

I LOVE GWB, I voted for him, and would again if I could.

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean that you need to tell everyone OVER and OVER and OVER again!

DEAL WITH IT, you lost!, I won! DEAL
Who cares about status?

Avianca

Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:16 pm

GWB was the worsest think what could be happened to the US.

He is a marionet of the OIL and "WAR" industri. The Bush familiy and there friends (Ministers, VicePresident etc...) are only looking for there personal interest and money. No more.

I can not belive that the US-People re-elect this a.....e

regards
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

aloges

Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:39 pm

I think George Bush is a ridiculous hypocrite of a President, but I love the laughs he and his fans (or "lovers") are good for. Each time I see some members of this site kiss Bush's rear end and make up the most idiotic theories over it, I sit back and watch in amazement.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

NWAFA

Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:07 am

He is a corrupt dishonest self-centered full of hate bigot that has one thing on his mind, his own agenda and not what is right!

I am so embarrassed to call him the leader of the U.S.A. total moron!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

SlamClick

Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:31 am

George W. Bush? Bush is Gray Davis.

Once again it is proved that California is a bellwether state - new trends are predicted, styles, fads are not so much born there, but bloom there.

California was in deep, desperate trouble because of thirty years of misguided legislation, creating social programs for which no one asked about funding. Some counties had more than 100% of their budget mandated for State programs before they could consider road maintenance, schools, police etc.

Suddenly, and I mean in the space of a few months it is ALL the fault of the current governor, Gray Davis. So they play musical chairs for a few days and annoint a celebrity governor. (If I hear Ahnold use one of his movie lines in one more public speech I'm going to slap him.)

I see GWB as the 'Gray Davis' for the world. I find it hugely simple-minded to blame him for the Middle East. Like there was no Arab-Israeli conflict, there were no civilians dying in Iraq and so on.

Frankly if GWB was capable of causing all the bad I've seen him blamed for, he'd have been one of the most effective leaders in the history of the world! I'm not prepared to think that of him.

To those of you who resorted to cursing him, using vulgar or disgusting imagery to describe him let me say this. The odds of a statement being true are inversely proportional to the vehemence with which it is uttered. If you feel that strongly (for or against) you have almost certainly been reading propaganda.

So - the new divisiveness, how's that working for you all?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

nycflyer

Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:50 am

One of the very few reasons people claim Bush is "good" is because he speaks clearly and there's no confusion about his point of view.

However, I find the scariest thing about Bush the fact that he always carries this air of certainty. In the first debate, Kerry made a great comment. "You can be certain, and you can be wrong." Bush's certainty manifests itself in seeing the entire world as black and white, good and evil. He has the fervor of a religious convert. The smart man realizes that the world is too complex, there are too many shades of gray. Bush's biggest flaw is he just doesn't get it. He combines his political extremism with his religious extremism of always thinking he's right and that he's God's messenger, etc., and that is the most frightening thing about it. That, and that half of America is so blinded by their own ideological beliefs that they actually believe him.

I love America but he is truly the worst thing to EVER happen to this country. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy; but the country can and has moved on from that. Bush's legacy will be far, far harder to ever undue.

pilotaydin

Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:57 am

well you know what.....yeah on a playground scene, you don't need to go telling people u won or lost over and over again etc....

the problem is that mr bush basically gets what he wants from the middle east or the rest of the world....if his administration gives aid money, then basically you're america's dog..... my country is going through these times at the moment....anytime we don't do what the usa wants, then there are always things the us public/media do, such as cheap shots eg cnn's headline: Turkey wants more gravy... please...wow what a great pun...now grow up, it's degrading being at the target end of a seriously large ignorant political power..... 90% of turks are anti bush...during the clinton times...90% of turkey was PRO USA.....wonder why..?

i dont like how the bush admin jumps straight to material and economical issues with turkey when we don't open our air bases for their comfort.... It's starting to annoy a lot of people here....dumping money into a society shouldt give you the unethical right to expect service in OTHER areas such as Iran/Iraq policies....

i think bush is seriously misuing power....and yes...if he misused power so what we dont care, we're not american...do what you want...BUT the issue is that his misuse is directed towards the rest of the world.....

imperialism has a line......mr bush is FAR past his rightful place in global politics.
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

whitehatter

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:02 am

Quoting Funflyer (Reply 29):
The world has no business up in our business. Smile

I LOVE GWB, I voted for him, and would again if I could.

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean that you need to tell everyone OVER and OVER and OVER again!

DEAL WITH IT, you lost!, I won! DEAL

Wow. Educated debate is alive and well and obviously not living in America.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

aa777flyer

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:24 am

Quoting Funflyer (Reply 29):
The world has no business up in our business

Exactly! Then why does GWB have to go and get in every one else's business. Face it, GWB LIED! about going into Iraq for WMD. It may take 20 years for the truth to come out, but I stongly feel it will.

The only reason he went to Iraq is so his buddies at Haliburton could make a killing raping the American taxpayer, and so he could get kickbacks to his political agenda. Maybe if he was not spending hundreds of billions in Iraq the money would be there to take care of social security and medicare.

GWB's economic plan will ruin this country. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out you cannot keep cutting (the governments income) taxes, borrowing more and more (were talking hundreds of billions here) of $$$ and expect to ever be able to dig your way out from the tremendous deficit that he has created.

The record high oil prices (he could start to tap into the reserves) will seriously damage this countries economy. Or GWB could investigate the oil companies for rapeing the American consumer. Did you notice Exon, Chevron, Shell, etc are all posting RECORD profits? Do you think his connection and having buddies in the oil business is just a coincident?

The sad part is the majority of Americans just dont realize what a moron this guy is. The majority of Americans side with him because they are narrow minded bible thumping conservatives just like GWB.

Face it! GWB is a self centerd idot!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

SlamClick

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:33 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 37):
Face it, GWB LIED! about going into Iraq for WMD.

You may very well be right.

So here is my challenge. Name one war in all of recorded history, any nation, any faction against another where the leaders did not lie about their reasons for going to war.

WW II is 'the good war' here in the US and I don't believe we could have avoided it, but there were still 'lies' told to the American people both leading up to it, and following it.

So name one.
Name a war that was fought without lies.

teva

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:38 am

Since I don't want to be banned, and want to keep good relationships with my American friends, I prefer not to say all what I think about a person I consider as a serial killer (when he was gouvernor of Texas) and more after being iinstalled in the White house.
I could talk for hours, and with examples, coming from the US medias, but I prefer to stop here
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

NoUFO

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:45 am

He's probably not the idiot many people see in him, nor does he seem to be universally educated.

He can be very self-deprecating, which I like, but at the same time he has severe difficulties in admitting his mistakes.

He's not evil but he doesn't seem to hesitate twisting facts and lying where it suits him.

I respect his surprising visit in Iraq during Thanksgiving but wish he would have paid more respect to the international community, the United Nations, the International Atomic Energy Agency and the hard work of their inspectors.

I can't agree with his stance on the death penalty (yes, I'm aware that was more of a concern when he was still Governor), the Kyoto Protocol, environment policy and the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.

He thinks he's on a "mission from God", but he - probably more than any of his predecessors - allows lobbying within the White House.

And while he has a very clear point of view, which is good, he doesn't seem to be willing to listen to dissenting opinions and is ruthlessly pushing his agenda and - in my opinion: twisted - moral concept.
I support the right to arm bears

S12PPL

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:52 am

Glad to see the rest of the world feels the same way about 'ol 'Dubya, as most of the country does.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

aloges

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:59 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 38):
Name a war that was fought without lies.

You're right, all wars include lies. Vietnam and the Tonkin Incident are another example. But that isn't so much the point of the whole story.

The big difference is that back in the mid-sixties, the US gov't had a better reason to go to war than in 2003. The Truman doctrine was hardly far-fetched, as proven in the Korean War. So in very brief words, the US made up an incident to have a reason for going to a war that already seemed justified to many.

Or take the First Gulf War. Iraq invaded Kuwait, the Alliance sent Saddam back home to Baghdad. I don't remember any Tonkin-"sized" lies in that war.

Not so in Iraq mk.II: The Bush admin lied about the reasons for the war from day one, and they didn't even bother to make up an incident that led them to war. They flat-out insisted on their initial lie about WMDs, while it was obvious that the true reasons were much different: GWB's agenda to bring "freedom and democracy" to all kinds of places - mind you that Middle-East dictators were nowhere near as dangerous a threat as the Soviets - without considering the delicate relationship between the Arab World and "the West", the geostrategical importance of Iraq and economic interests; none of which were as much a justification for a war as the spreading of Communist dictatorships during the Cold War.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ANCFlyer

Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 41):
, as most of the country does

I wouldn't go that far there Hero - majority elected him and re-elected him. So your statement - "as most of" - is bullshit.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 38):
So here is my challenge. Name one war in all of recorded history, any nation, any faction against another where the leaders did not lie about their reasons for going to war.

Ditto what SlamClick has said . . . all the self-righteous liberals that have declared Dubya a liar should re-read history . . .

Quoting N317AS (Reply 17):
Because his competition couldn't come up with a plan that he could say without having his fingers crossed behind his back or a smirk on his face.

Or, in plain non-Vulcan english - talking out both ends . . . . making shit up as he went along - siding with what ever group he was in front of - lying about his military record (perhaps lying is harsh - how about refusing to fully disclose his military record, that's better).

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 37):
The record high oil prices (he could start to tap into the reserves) will seriously damage this countries economy.

And this is Dubya's fault how? Tap in to the resources - WTF do you call ANWR? And NPRA? All open for business now . . . all closed under his predecessor. Again, you need to re-read your history . . . or smack your history teacher for fuckin' you over in the first place.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not overly impressed with some of Bush's antics - particulary the recent Terri Shaivo case. And his theory on fixing Social Security. There are other things he's done with which I disagree.

But the constant and predictable from some harsh bashing that is not productive, and is posted simply to rant, is getting boring and repetitive and is quite elementary.

Lastly - I appreciate the candid and honest opinions here from non-American A-Netters. Gives me a better perspective. Thanks.

[Edited 2005-03-25 18:25:37]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Russophile

Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 23):
Umm....he HAS won a vast majority and he DOES have a total mandate. He won over 50% of the popular vote.

1% majority equals a total mandate? Be sure to remember this next time you go on about Putin going against his people -- remember he was elected with over 80% of the popular vote.

80%, my boy, is a mandate. 51% is not -- it is just scraping over the line.

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 23):
NO other current Western leader in power now has such a mandate.

This is highly skewed. The reason most so-called Western nations don't have leaders with over 50% of the vote is that our systems are so different. The US is inherrently a two-party state. Every political issue is 'black or white', 'with us or against us', 'Republican or Democrat'. As it is a two-party state, wouldn't it be impossible anyway for someone to be elected without a clear majority (albeit a slim one)?

SlamClick

Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:54 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 40):
He's probably not the idiot many people see in him, nor does he seem to be universally educated.

Or he might be that idiot, but I have to take issue with the second part of that statement. It might be correct that he does not "seem" to you to be educated, but, in fact, his education is stellar, absolutely stupendous! His educational level places him in the top corner of the top one percent of the whole world.

His speech disorder makes him sound like an idiot.

He is the worst public speaker we've had in that office in my lifetime.

At least by the glibness scale. He stumbles, he mispronounces words, he makes up words on the fly, he uses wrong words. But behind it all there is rock-solid consistency to what he says. He does not waffle so much as misspeak.

Someone making an assessment of GWB's education or intelligence on the basis of his public speeches is making a huge 'misunderestimation' of him. It would be somewhat like concluding that Steven Hawking is an idiot because he can't talk right. I know, Hawking is an authentic genius and his disability is well documented, but I do believe that GWB has some speech problem analogous to dislexia. So laugh at his speaking, but don't underestimate him on the basis of that.

mham001

Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:54 am

Its interesting that much of what we hear from the euros and others is mirrored by Reagans terms in the 80s. I was in Europe at the time and everybody swore he would destroy the world. In retrospect, he saved Europe a lot of grief and trouble. History will decide on the results in the Middle East, but we don't elect our presidents based on Europes desires. What will you all be saying when they put up statues of GW in the Middle East? I believe he is visionary, beyond the capabilities of the common asshat around the world. It just remains to be seem if that vision can be carried out.
Point is "Great" presidents don't need to by "liked" around the world, just like petulant children don't "like" adults who do what's needed.

NoUFO

Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 46):
I was in Europe at the time and everybody swore he would destroy the world.

Nana, that's more than far stretched.

In retrospect, he saved Europe a lot of grief and trouble.

That is? He does have his merits but it wasn't his idea to deploy Pershing II missiles to Europe and force the Sovjets to resume negotiations.
His influence on the downfall of the Warshaw Pact is grossly overated.

History will decide on the results in the Middle East,

True.

but we don't elect our presidents based on Europes desires.

Who said you should? The thread starter asked for our opinions. Why should we base our opinions on "American's desire"?

dvk

Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:58 am

Great presidents don't need to be liked around the world, but they shouldn't be reviled around the world. To say that it doesn't matter if our president is respected outside our country, when the U.S. is so involved in trying to effect change in other parts of the world, is utter hypocrisy.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

NoUFO

Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:59 am

SlamClick,

I do not base my opinions concerning Mr. Bush on "Bushisms".
The fact he's a bad public speaker can be amusing but has no effects on his goals and methods.

767er

Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:18 am

One of the worst Presidents that US has ever had.........I don't think he is notparticulary intelligent and is a terrible speech maker. He pales in comparison to Clinton. As for Laura......oh dear....
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3