DfwRevolution
Topic Author

What Happened To Dialog?

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:16 pm

The Terry Schiavo fiasco has really upset me, not for any moral sentiment one way or the other, but the fact that there is zero dialog in the world today. Perhaps there never was, and people could just keeping going further west to distance themselves from people with different opinions. But we don't have that relief valve anymore. During the election, after any civil union between a gay couple, and now with Terry Schiavo, you can't turn on the television without seeing one group screaming at the other.

And I ask the question: why? Why must people become so involved in business that has nothing to do with them? I'm going to make a somewhat bold statement and say that people in 2005 take life way too seriously. It isn't enough to go about one's own affairs, but now we must meddle in others, and if they don't agree with us, there will be hell to pay.

Going back to the Terry Schiavo case, there are "pro-life activist" who are threatening the lives of the judges upholding the removal of her feeding tube. How can you be so engrossed in anything, especially upholding the "dignity" of anything with a pulse, that you are willing to threaten another human life? I'm not saying nothing is worth protesting, but activist group after activist group are going off the deep-end.

You can't escape over-stimulation in the world today (just the fact that there is a website dedicated to enthusiast of the aviation industry is testament to that), but everyone still has a brain. Perhaps people are more temperamental when it comes to a hot social/political issues, but everyone still has the grey matter that is capable of upper-level reasoning and dialog. So here's my two request:

- Next time you hear something on the news that upsets you, enrages you, or perhaps just stupefy you, think about the other side of the issue for just 60 seconds before you form an opinion. For Europeans, this could mean not exploding over the words: "George W. Bush is not the Anti-Christ." For ultra-conservatives it might mean: "Homosexuals are people, too."

- Don't salivate over blogs. There is nothing worse than a self-created world where the writer thinks he has the absolute truth and can selectively mix fact with personal spin to breed ignorance. Not all blogs are horrible, but keep them balanced with opinions from different sides of the spectrum.

Oh well, maybe I’m too laid back for today’s world  Wink

DLKAPA

RE: What Happened To Dialog?

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:21 pm

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

And no, this isn't a short low quality post
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same