gkirk

Cambridge University Ban Kilts From Graduation

Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:23 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4384391.stm

What a bunch of idiots. I feel sorry for those who attend this University run by brainless people.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

skidmarks

RE: Cambridge University Ban Kilts From Graduation

Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:54 pm

Well, who wants a bunch of weird blokes in skirts rolling around the place eh? Next thing you know they'll be having Haggis for the post-graduation lunch and all getting drunk on single malt!!

And could you imagine a Kiwi in National Dress? Well, you could I guess, kirk, you liking sheep too !:D

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

duke

Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:09 pm

That stinks! What is it to them anyway? Kilts are very standard as formal dress. As a kilt wearer, I think this is a waste of their energy.

KiwiNanday

Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:11 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 1):
And could you imagine a Kiwi in National Dress?

No WAY am I wearing a kilt!
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

ScottishLaddie

Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:41 pm

WTF?!  banghead 

BUt obviously, Scotland being a country in it's own right means that people in that other country don't have to follow our traditional dresscode.  Wink

gkirk

Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:48 pm

Yes, but Scottish students at Cam-bridge (why the hell they aint at St Andrews I dont know) should be allowed to wear kilts.

Good luck tae Northern Ireland!

Pe@rson

Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:10 am

Nowadays you normally have to pay for your graduation outfit (I did not when I was an undergraduate), so on that basis it seems fair that people should be able to wear what they like. However, I also understand the need for everyone to look smart and professional and so forth, so I can see that point-of-view too. It must be borne in mind that graduation is a two-way thing: for the student (and his or her friends and family) and for the university. Accordingly, it seems fair that compromises are made on both sides. Would you see a student on graduation day wearing ripped jeans and a T-shirt? Of course not. I think that so long as the student looks smart and so forth, then I do not really see the problem with wearing your national 'dress.'
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Catatonic

Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:24 am

Another example of how the English try to errode the identity of other nations in the UK! BOOoooooOOoooooOOOoOOooOooo England! I hope Northern Ireland Kick your saxon BUTTS!!!
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

EGGD

Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:02 am

lmao,

Such maturity in this thread. Last time I checked, Cambridge was in England. What right do you guys have to have a say in what people can and cannot wear when graduating from a University in OUR country? I can imagine if there were a top university that English students were willing to attend in Scotland or Wales then you wouldn't be too happy for us English to be wearing similar patriotic attire and even less happy to hear us moaning about it. But then again, you don't HAVE a university that English students are desperate to attend, do you? But it's ok, Cambridge is run by a load of brainless idiots!  Wink I think the key line that you guys missed was "with other forms of national dress and armed forces uniforms.", this includes us English as well. But you don't care about that do you, it's just another case of us English oppressing your national identity. So typical of your centric attitudes to immediately believe that the English are on a tirade to stamp out nationalism in our fellow UK countries.

Get a clue, fuckwits.

gkirk

Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting EGGD (Reply 8):

Get a clue, fuckwits.

Real mature  Yeah sure

Oh, and the English national dress is Shirts and Ties anyway, unless of course your from the Bristol area then it is the pasttime to dress up like Boy George

skidmarks

Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 7):
I hope Northern Ireland Kick your saxon BUTTS!!!

Blew it then Catatonic, lol - 4 -0 - hehehe.

And Kiwi, I understood NZ national dress was either a grass skirt or a sheep nailed to your front end - which would suit young kirk right down to the ground!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Banco

Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:36 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 9):
Oh, and the English national dress is Shirts and Ties anyway

Actually, I think it's that get-up you see the Morris Men wear. God knows why.

It seems more than a bit petty to be honest. I'll bet some bright spark thought it'd be a good idea to ban "national dress" not even thinking about the likes of kilts, and then they have to stand behind it. More than anything, it just shows how stupid the idea was in the first place, doesn't it?  Yeah sure
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

BA380

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:47 am

I don't remember them letting any Scots in when I was at Oxford, so it would not have been an issue.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

cornish

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:36 pm

Should point out here that its not just the Scots who wear kilts as part of their national dress - however it would be pretty hypothetical to include the Cornish in a debate on national dress at Cambridge graduations Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

gkirk

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:49 pm

Banco, are you saying you walk around as a Beefeater all day  Silly

Banco

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:14 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 14):
Banco, are you saying you walk around as a Beefeater all day

Tell you what, Kirkie: Go up to one of them and take the mickey. Since one of the jobs of those guys is to guard the Tower of London, they tend to be ex-special forces people. See how far you get. Big grin

On that sunject, it's always amused me how tourists do things like making silly faces at the Lifeguards in Whitehall. These people are soldiers, with guns. Are the tourists completely mad?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

BA380

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:24 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 15):
Since one of the jobs of those guys is to guard the Tower of London, they tend to be ex-special forces people.

last time I went, the Beefeaters were all over 80. So VERY "EX" special forces. Were probably all at the Somme leading a some undercover ops team.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

MD11Engineer

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:51 pm

BA,

On another list I heard about some chavs trying to rob a WW2 vet just coming backfrom a ceremony at the cenotaph. They didn´t notice his green beret. Let´s say, they regreted it.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi