SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mexico Vs. USA Soccer Match.

Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:12 am

Tomorrow Sunday the USA soccer team will be playing against Mexico for a ticket to Germany 2006 World Cup. The game will be in Mexico City, at the great Azteca Stadium, which will hold 110,000 soccer fans.

I wish and expect for a Mexican victory, but since the USA is a nation close to my heart, I hope the difference will be only one goal and both countries will get their tickets for the World Cup. Mexico 2 - USA 1.

¡Vamos México!
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Alias1024

RE: Mexico Vs. USA Soccer Match.

Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:26 pm

It should be a great game. Azteca is going to be crazy, with 110,000 fans looking for revenge for the defeat in the 2002 World Cup. I'm hoping the US can win for the first time in Mexico City, but it is going to be tough in such an intimidating atmosphere. Whoever wins, I expect both teams to make it to the World Cup. The game probably won't have much of an effect on World Cup qualifying, but it will definately be worth watching. USA-Mexico has become one of the most intense international rivalries in all of soccer.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

gkirk

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:45 pm

I expect Mexico to win 3-0
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ghost77

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Thread starter):
...will get their tickets for the World Cup. Mexico 2 - USA 1...

Uh, game has just finished! And final score was MEX 2 - US 1.

SFOMEX - Will I win the lotto or something, one of these days?!

Ricardo APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

Newark777

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:14 am

Just shows the level of interest of soccer in the US. If I hadn't read this thread just now, I would have had no idea about this game. NCAA basketball is the big thing right now, and people just don't follow the soccer action. Too bad, since it sounded like a good game.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:19 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 3):
SFOMEX - Will I win the lotto or something, one of these days?!

I hope so. Smile

It's a good game, although Mexico played far better than the USA. Now Mexico is leading its group with 6 points. I think that we should start looking for those MEX-FRA tickets for next year's summer.

Alias1024

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:03 am

Mexico clearly deserved to win the game. They had several good chances, while the US looked terrible the entire first half. I thought the second half was much closer, with both teams getting a few good opportunities.

I wonder what the Mexican coach did to deserve that red card. Usually it is the coach of the team losing that says something stupid and gets thrown out, not the coach with the 2-0 lead.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

jcs17

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:25 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3495034

"The Americans pressured much more at the start of the first half, and Eddie Lewis scored in the 59th minute off a feed from Landon Donovan. Some Mexican fans responded by chanting "Osama! Osama!".....

There was booing and whistling during "The Star-Spangled Banner" and derisive chants whenever Kasey Keller took goal kicks.

Aren't Mexican fans so tasteful, not to mention educated? Considering that probably half their relatives are making their living in Los Estados Unidos they really should get a grip.

[Edited 2005-03-28 00:28:33]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

b757300

Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:12 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):
"The Americans pressured much more at the start of the first half, and Eddie Lewis scored in the 59th minute off a feed from Landon Donovan. Some Mexican fans responded by chanting "Osama! Osama!".....

They've done this at least twice before.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):
Aren't Mexican fans so tasteful, not to mention educated?

Seems like soccer fans throughout the world have a high tendency to act stupid.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

OYRJA

Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:16 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 8):
Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):

Seems like soccer fans throughout the world have a high tendency to act stupid.

Not all of us are like that  Wink

Quoting B757300 (Reply 8):
Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):

They've done this at least twice before.

Gotta agree that this kind of act is very disgusting. That has nothing to do with soccer. But unfortunatly many americans gets to hear alot of this. And I can only say that I feel sorry for you guys.

aviationmaster

Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:27 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):
There was booing and whistling during "The Star-Spangled Banner"

I find it the most disgusting when fans start booing during the national anthem of the visitor team. They should show some respect. I know the Mexican team is (sometimes) the first to whine when they are treated unfairly  

On a brighter side, glad to see the Tri beat the US again.

[Edited 2005-03-28 01:29:01]

Newark777

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):
There was booing and whistling during "The Star-Spangled Banner" and derisive chants whenever Kasey Keller took goal kicks.

Has happened at NHL games in Canada in the past, also.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

flymia

Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 pm

Wish the US could have just won and make does Mexican fans quiet!
Oh well better luck next time.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

phxairfan

Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:09 pm

Is it just me, or has the US team really digressed from the World Cup a few years back? I mean yeah they usually send out an MLS side, but what happened to the creativity and intensity that that team had? Todays game was embarrassing, especially the first half. The U.S team didn't even look like they tried. If It weren't for Kasey Keller this would have been a blow out. We have so much talent, it just never looks like we use it.

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:22 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):
. Some Mexican fans responded by chanting "Osama! Osama!".....

The key word here is "some." Sadly, jerks and idiots have the same right to buy a ticket that the most educated soccer fan. What a shame that some ass***** disrespected the USA anthem and the American team. They were a few, but it's a shame nonetheless.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 7):

Don't generalize. Most Mexicans in the stadium were graceful and polite with the USA team and its hundreds of fans who were at the game. For instance, I've met a very few racist Americans both in the USA and A.net. I'm sure you, JCS17, know whom I'm talking about. Yet, I'd never dare to say that "Americans are racists and bigots" because that would be a huge lie. Most Americans are neither racists nor bigots. In fact, they are great people. My point is simple, idiots are everywhere and you can find them in any race, country and stadium.

IwantaBBJ

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:05 pm

I was once in the very same stadium watching the very same match - Must have been back in 1997 or so - One of the Americans got sent off early but Mexico couldn't take advantage of it and was booed at by their own supporters in the second half - It ended 0-0, IIRC! But what I remember best was the national anthem that was sung by everyone in that stadium, except by one - ME! My friend forgot to teach me the lyrics before the game Wink

Always had a splendid time in Mexico!

Mike

LHMark

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:03 pm

Think about the poor Mexico fans who couldn't make it to the stadium and thus had to chuck their urine bombs at the TV. That must have been a tough cleanup.

[Edited 2005-03-28 15:04:21]
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:05 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 16):
Think about the poor Mexico fans who couldn't make it to the stadium and hat to chuck their urine bombs at the TV. That must have been a tough cleanup.

There's hope for you yet Mark!

CaptOveur

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 2):
I expect Mexico to win 3-0

I highly doubt that, anyone Mexico has that can run, jump, or swim is already in the US.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

aa61hvy

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:10 am

I just wonder what happens if the tables were turned. What if the US booed during the Mexican National Anthem. God knows we wouldn't hear the end of it. And we'd be considered the assholes, but the Mexicans can get away with it, why?
Go big or go home

CactusA319

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:18 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 19):
I just wonder what happens if the tables were turned. What if the US booed during the Mexican National Anthem. God knows we wouldn't hear the end of it. And we'd be considered the assholes, but the Mexicans can get away with it, why?

Because in other countries it's fashionable to boo all things American. Anybody who participates in this forum would know that.

ghost77

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 5):
It's a good game, although Mexico played far better than the USA. Now Mexico is leading its group with 6 points. I think that we should start looking for those MEX-FRA tickets for next year's summer.

Yeap we better start booking our seats! If LH doesn't add frequencies or AM doesn't open or charter flights to FRA it's going to be a nightmare to get a ticket next year!

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 20):
Because in other countries it's fashionable to boo all things American. Anybody who participates in this forum would know that.

Except people who don't travel or think that the USA is the best in this world or is loved everywhere by everyone.

Ricardo APM

Tom in NO

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:02 am

From ESPN.com:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=173288&cc=5901

Lewis scored the lone U.S. goal in the 59th minute off a feed from Landon Donovan, the first goal in Mexico for the Americans since 1984.
also..........
The Americans are 0-22-1 in Mexico, getting their lone point from a 0-0 tie in a 1997 qualifier.

And people wonder why hardly anyone over here gives a rip about soccer.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

yukimizake

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 19):

In late 2003 just after Canada decided not to send troops to Iraq the Canadian national anthem was booed at NHL games, in response to this the American anthem was booed at NHL games in Canada. There are disrespectful tasteless fans everywhere, not just Mexico.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

Lindy

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:49 am

Very good game, I was watching it yesterday. I was predicting 3 to 1 for Mexico. Second part was very good. Both teams did good.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

ltbewr

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:18 am

It could be interesting this summer, as the USA is holding the CONCACAF 'Gold Cup'. It is possible that the USA and Mexico could meet in semi-final or final match.
It is a 12-team tournment, a smaller version of the World Cup with teams from North and Central America, the Carribbean and for some reason, South Africa. This year's teams include: Group A: Columbia, Hondouras, Panama and Trindad & Tobago; Group B: USA, Costa Rico, Canada and Cuba (USA/Cuba in Seattle); Group C: Mexico, S. Africa (?), Guatemala and Jamaica. The semi-final and Final matches will be held July 21 and 25, 2005 at Giants Stadium, in New Jersey (near my home - go by it every working day). Some World Cup matches were held there in 1984, as well as exhibition games by leading world national and pro teams, like Manchester United did last year and the USA's Professional Soccer team, the Metrostars. Earlier stages of the CONACAF tournment will be held in Miami, Seattle, Foxboro, MA, Los Angeles and Houston. Prices for tickets are pretty reasonable too, like $ 30-50 each. www.CONACAF.com has further info on the tournment

CactusA319

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 21):
Except people who don't travel or think that the USA is the best in this world or is loved everywhere by everyone.

Que?  confused 

ghost77

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 20):

Apparently not all know that, people who don't travel think that the US is the best nation in this world or that it is loved everywhere and by everyone and they tend to questioned or react amazed about other nations and citizens attitude against the US.

Ricardo APM

CactusA319

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:34 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 27):
Apparently not all know that, people who don't travel think that the US is the best nation in this world or that it is loved everywhere and by everyone and they tend to questioned or react amazed about other nations and citizens attitude against the US.

OK, gotcha.

NUAir

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:31 am

My girlfriend was actually at the game with her cousins and said that when "some" fans started yelling during the US national anthem other Mexican fans quickly told them to shut up, and they did.

This was nothing compared to what happens in Europe, just look at what the German fans did in Slovenia...

The biggest disappointment of the match was our defense, and yes I think Keller had a lot to do with that as he never had his posts covered!! How many crosses did Mexico get that went to an open player on the other side? It's the goalies responsibility to make sure everyone is marked and I barely saw Keller say a word. However, to his credit he had three incredible saves.

I can't wait for the big match up on April 6th between DC United and Pumas for the club semifinals! I think its great to see a big US / Mexico rivalry building up; If you live in the DC area attendance is a must!
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

daedaeg

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:38 am

There's a soccer game between Mexico and the US? Who knew!!!
Everyday you're alive is a good day.