slider

The Unconscionable Behavior Of Mexican Soccer Fans

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:34 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3495034

In a repeat of last year's behavior at the US vs Mexico soccer game, fans were chanting "Osama, Osama"....  mad 

You have to be kidding me.

aerobalance

RE: The Unconscionable Behavior Of Mexican Soccer Fans

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:37 am

No big deal.

It's when the batteries and bricks are thrown at you that one may get concerned.

Been there, done that.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

skidmarks

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:39 am

Watch young Mr Kirk blame that on England fans!!!!  bomb 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

JOSEMEX

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:59 am

They were probably chanting "Hossanna, hossana", what with the holy week celebrations and everything... Wink

yukimizake

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:10 am

Quoting Slider (Thread starter):
fans were chanting "Osama, Osama"....

The article refers only to 'a spattering' of fans chanting 'Osama'. This thread should be titled 'The unconscionable behavior of a spattering of Mexican soccer fans.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

ghost77

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:17 am

As an interesting point, this was the first time in history the US media sent over 30 different reporters to Mexico or to a soccer event to cover a match of the US soccer team.

I don't know if this people knew about soccer [media] but apparently they've never been or seen what Europe or South America is and where boo's and aggressions are far worst!

Soccer and soccer fans are totally different and enjoy the games in a different way compared to rest of the sports. The true soccer fan gets really crazy with their team and support them to death no matters what, even if it's the national league or the national team playing.

I don't want to justify the mexicans attitude, but this is how soccer is in Europe and Latin America. Don't expect much!

Ricardo APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

slider

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:49 am

Quoting Yukimizake (Reply 4):
The article refers only to 'a spattering' of fans chanting 'Osama'. This thread should be titled 'The unconscionable behavior of a spattering of Mexican soccer fans.

The description of "spattering" isn't lost on me, but I heard an audio clip of it this AM on the news and I guaran-damn-tee you it wasn't a spattering, especially in that massive stadium.

It's still intolerable any way you slice it.

Eric505

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:30 am

Can you blame them? I'm surprised Mexico didn't erupt in civil war after the 2002 World Cup. The US will get them back down the road so no need to worry about the fanatics.
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

slider

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:47 am

Quoting Eric505 (Reply 7):
The US will get them back down the road so no need to worry about the fanatics.

Sadly, as long as the border remains open and illegal immigration goes unchecked, the joke is on us.  mad 

alberchico

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:58 pm

Why the hell would one idiot chant OSAMA ?. Mexicans have it already bad here in the U.S.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

TACAA320

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting JoseMEX (Reply 3):
They were probably chanting "Hossanna, hossana", what with the holy week celebrations and everything

I hope this is another bad joke.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

alberchico

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:33 am

''I hope this is another bad joke.''

I personally hope that this turns out to be false or my view of Mexican soccer will forever be shattered  gnasher  This crap is unacceptable!!!
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

JUANR

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:23 am

This is just another proof of the American double-standard. Whenever people here at A.net make a comment about my country and relates everything to drugs and I complain they told me to take it easy as it was just a "joke"; I bet those Mexicans chanting Osama at the Azteca stadium had the joy of the lifetime, specially watching their team beating the U.S., but it was just a joke. When you male those things they are only a joke but when it is done to you it is unacceptable. Double Standard.

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

flymia

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:38 am

It was not just a joke. I take it easy when somebody says those Americans who cant speak english right.
Chanting Osama Osama is not a joke. They also showed no repsepct to the US national athem.
I hope we see them in the world cup and beat them again.
But the US is 0-23-1 and Azteca they need to win a game there!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

JUANR

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:56 am

Flymia: it is a joke, just a way to celebrate and at the same time to piss off the American players; as for the National Anthem you are right, that is the most disgusting thing that I've seen, but not consider it as something against you, I've seen that all over the world with very different countries, I remember that in Peru once the whole opening ceremony was cancelled just to avoid the booing during the National Anthems.

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting JUANR (Reply 14):
Flymia: it is a joke, just a way to celebrate and at the same time to piss off the American players

Thats one hell of a joke. Next time I see Mexican Soccer players I'll be sure to chant 'illegal immigrants' or 'INS'
Go big or go home

JUANR

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 15):
Thats one hell of a joke. Next time I see Mexican Soccer players I'll be sure to chant 'illegal immigrants' or 'INS'

Mexicans and all other Latin Americans have learnt to have fun out of that kind of comments, it won't affect them a lot.

Juan
SKBO

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:29 am

Thats a load of crap Juan. I guess it won't effect them when its true....
Go big or go home

JUANR

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:37 am

You know that is not true AA61Hvy, at almost all venues in the US all the Latin American teams will play as if they were the home team giving the lack of interest in soccer of the average American. Perhaps if Americans start chanting "Migra...Migra.." the reply will be a louder "Osama...Osama!"

Is that the reason why you played last night game somewhere in Alabama?

Juan
SKBO

TACAA320

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:45 am

Quoting JUANR (Reply 12):
Double Standard.

That was of a very bad taste (it doesn´t matter if we are talking about a soccer game or not). What happened on 9/11 in N.Y. must not to be taken to make jokes. Very bad joke by the way.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 am

Juan, do your research son. I was born 10 mins outside Newark NJ, not exactly a white area. So there goes your theory of me being some hick.

If what was chanted was considered a joke, its no wonder there are no famous Mexican and Colombian comedians.

[Edited 2005-03-31 19:57:01]
Go big or go home

JUANR

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 19):
That was of a very bad taste (it doesn´t matter if we are talking about a soccer game or not). What happened on 9/11 in N.Y. must not to be taken to make jokes. Very bad joke by the way.

Well Taca, but making jokes out of the drug problems we have here in Colombia is acceptable? I can tell you that drug have caused more troubles to Colombia than 9/11 to the U.S. I am not saying here that I would chant "Osama, Osama", I am only saying that is not such a big deal.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 20):
Juan, do your research son. I was born 10 mins outside Newark NJ, not exactly a white area. So there goes your theory of me being some hick.

If what was chanted was considered a joke, its no wonder there are no famous Mexican and Colombian comedians.

AA61Hvt: Sorry man, I did not say that you are a hick, I am only saying that chanting "osama" is not a big deal, sure none of them agree with what OBL has done. As for the word "joke" perhaps I used in the wrong way, the Spanish word would be "burla", (Make fun of people out of their disgraces), certainly for those Mexicans it was fun to piss off the Americans by chanting.

By the way, you are really wrong about Colombian and Mexican comedians: Cantinflas and Roberto Gomez Bolaños are worldwide famous Mexican comedians and a lot of Colombian Comedians have sold out Madison Square Garden several times. Certainly better than Saturday Night Live (A tv show that I still love to watch)

Juan
SKBO

csavel

RE: The Unconscionable Behavior Of Mexican Soccer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:34 am

The problem isn't Mexican fans or soccer fans, but sports fans in general.

That is why I no longer follow sports.

I've been in the Nassau coliseum watching the Islanders when I lived there and you heard nonstop booing during Oh Canada! WTF????

Was in the Skydome watching the Blue Jays and the Yankees, the woman in the seat behind me (apparently she didn't catch my NY accent) made disparaging remarks about Americans, New Yorkers and New York Jews (I am all three) Only the stern glance of my girlfriend prompted me not to let loose.

North Koreans, NORTH KOREANS rioted because they lost to Iran. I was surprised they had the energy to riot, but that is another thread.

We all know about British football hooliganism which isn't restricted to Britain.

Sports fans today apparently forgot about the sportsmanship part of it, as have the players and it is pretty much thuggery.

That is why I am boycotting sports.

If you're pissed off about athletes outrageous salaries or team owners whining for stadium welfare, you can do the same thing.

It's not so bad a sports-free life.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

slider

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:18 am

AA61Hvy- That's OK, don't let Juan get to you.

After all, it was the Colombian soccer player who got whacked after kicking the ball into his own team's goal back in 96 World Cup, wasn't it?

Those Colombians have such a wacky sense of humor.

*tongue planted firmly in cheek*

alberchico

Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:16 am

''Thats one hell of a joke. Next time I see Mexican Soccer players I'll be sure to chant 'illegal immigrants' or 'INS'''

they will beat the living  censored  out of you if you chant something like that at a game

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 23):
After all, it was the Colombian soccer player who got whacked after kicking the ball into his own team's goal back in 96 World Cup, wasn't it

Touche  Wink
Go big or go home

Noise

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:36 am

Sucks that they chanted "Osama, Osama", but the things that go on elsewhere are worse!

AsstChiefMark

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:43 am

Isn't Mexico City due for a 9.0? If it happens, they'll be begging the US to help. How much you wanna bet they won't even remember the absolute cruelty of the "Osama" chanting.

Mark

[Edited 2005-04-01 03:46:55]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

flymia

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:58 pm

Its just the problems of being from the United States. Everyone hates you. But yet they expect everything from the US government or country.
US tries to help a country but it does not go so great people hate us.
We don't help a country enough people hate us. The US is expected to be perfect for some reason.
The reasons Mexicans are getting so mad about the USA playing soccer against them is because the USA is becoming pretty good and beating Mexico atleast not in Mexico. And Soccer was the only thing that Mexicans had over the Americans.

Yes it is true that we have to play are home games in Alabama so we don't get all the international fans to root against us. But if they love there country so much and show all that pride for there country than why don't they move out of the US and back to that country? I know some live here because there work took them here, but most decided by them selves to move to the US.

Chanting the name of a man that killed more than 3,000 Americans and other people of other nationalities most likely including Mexicans is just wrong. Murder is no joke.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

alberchico

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 28):
Its just the problems of being from the United States. Everyone hates you. But yet they expect everything from the US government or country.

I still don't understand this mentality on why 95% of the world hates us? Before the U.S. which superpower did they hate?

TACAA320

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Quoting JUANR (Reply 21):
Well Taca, but making jokes out of the drug problems we have here in Colombia is acceptable? I can tell you that drug have caused more troubles to Colombia than 9/11 to the U.S. I am not saying here that I would chant "Osama, Osama", I am only saying that is not such a big deal.

It is a big deal Juan!

I will never ever make jokes of drugs in Colombia [or anywhere else] nor about 9/11 attacks. They're simply of a very bad taste.

Try to do some "funny jokes" at any U.S. airport and you'll be spending some time in jail, figuring out if it is or not a "big deal".

allstarflyer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting JUANR (Reply 12):
This is just another proof of the American double-standard. Whenever people here at A.net make a comment about my country and relates everything to drugs and I complain they told me to take it easy

Apples and oranges. Osama was someone who made us victims, and we didn't bring that on ourselves. If Colombia is made to be the victim of humor because of drugs, it's because the drug lords (and anyone in cahoots with them in the Colombian government) have brought that on themselves.

Quoting JUANR (Reply 16):
Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 15):

Mexicans and all other Latin Americans have learnt to have fun out of that kind of comments, it won't affect them a lot.

Yeah, seems like the INS is a joke.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 27):
Isn't Mexico City due for a 9.0? If it happens, they'll be begging the US to help. How much you wanna bet they won't even remember the absolute cruelty of the "Osama" chanting.

Ouch.

Chanting the name of a man that killed more than 3,000 Americans and other people of other nationalities most likely including Mexicans is just wrong. Murder is no joke.

Well said. The Mexicans opened themselves up for a barrage of condescension.

-R
Living the American Dream

JOSEMEX

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:44 pm

If it had been a game in the US and people started whistling and booing and whatever while the mexican anthem was being played, our government and media would be all outraged and raising a formal protest, accusing the US of racism, etc. Talk about double standards.

Keep in mind, folks, that even though futbol is the national sport (so to speak) our national team has historically been mediocre at best, but the US soccer team was even worse, so it made many soccer fans here over-proud at the one sport in which we could beat the US easily (and let us feel superior for a day).

Now things have changed, and the US team has gotten better (a pill that's not too easy to swallow for some here).

About those "Osama, Osama" chants, well, what can I say? Whatta bunch of *ssh*oles!

>Isn't Mexico City due for a 9.0? If it happens, they'll be begging the US to help.<

When we had the big 8.3 earthquake in 1985, the US was the first country to send some military airplanes with aid. However, the Mexican government at first denied permission for the airplanes to land, claiming that we could manage ourselves. It was not until several hours later (or the next day, I don't remember) when the magnitude of the tragedy became impossible for our government to hide, that they began letting US aircraft with aid land in the country.

yukimizake

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:02 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 23):
After all, it was the Colombian soccer player who got whacked after kicking the ball into his own team's goal back in 96 World Cup, wasn't it?

The '96 World Cup???
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

TACAA320

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:17 pm

Quoting JoseMEX (Reply 32):
If it had been a game in the US and people started whistling and booing and whatever while the mexican anthem was being played, our government and media would be all outraged and raising a formal protest, accusing the US of racism, etc. Talk about double standards.

I know it's just a supposition. But it never happened that way, so which "double standards"?

What really happened, is that a bunch of nerds do exactly the opposite [and please be aware that I'm saying that a "bunch of nerds", not everybody at the stadium].

Anyway, such attitude is totally unacceptable.

JOSEMEX

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:38 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 34):
But it never happened that way, so which "double standards"?

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. What I meant to say was that if a similar thing happened in the US to our team, we would be all outraged and not dismiss it as "just a joke".

TheRedBaron

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:43 pm

Since I am tick skinned I always get the jokes about Mexicans and latinos on SNL, on Letterman, or Leno, and laugh out loud because most of the time they are true or somewhat based on true events...who cares I dont get mad...

Mexico Will play against the U.S. soon and probably you will return the "favor" , "Joke" or whatever...most of my conationals behave pretty much like everyone else: when the joke is on somebody else they laugh and when its on them they cry foul....

I know chanting OSAMA is an idiocy and has really poor taste, but you must understand that in the eyes of the world and certanly Mexico, the US has always portrayed as invincible and the SUPER power and the whole Iraq fiasco and the Osamma at large after 3 and a half years is a running joke...specially when GB said he would get him and "smoke him out of a hole".

There are a lot of stereotypes and most of them are bad but some of them are true, like some Latin American countries are run by drug cartels (including Mexico), but you must ask why are such countries traffiquers? oh I remember..because those drugs must be consumed....elsewhere

P.S. I hate Football ... I rather watch Baseball...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

ghost77

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:48 am

The reasons Mexicans are getting so mad about the USA playing soccer against them is because the USA is becoming pretty good and beating Mexico atleast not in Mexico. And Soccer was the only thing that Mexicans had over the Americans.

False! We are not mad for that. We are not as blind as some people elsewhere... but as explained above, over 3 years at Iraq of total fiasco was certainly what make all people mad in here and lets better not speak what people worldwide [specially in Europe] think when you mention something related to the US.

As for the soccer, the US team playing better it's a reality. Mexico's team being the same mediocre team as it has always been its also something not new. One of these days sooner or later US will beat Mex at the Azteca [unfortunately they lost the last game, I wish they have beaten Mex in order to cut the BS running for yeeeears in our soccer league and national team], but one certain thing is, that soccer was not what made people mad and chant certain things.

You can hate Mexico and critize everything of this country but at least I can speak for the rest when saying that we are VERY PROUD to be a VERY PACIFIC country which BTW is not hated by the rest of the world, except for some US citizens (which fortunately are a very small minority).

Ricardo APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!