BritPilot777
Topic Author

Colour Of Eggs

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:35 am

Hi Guys!

So last night in bed (yea dont ask cos I dunno) I was thinking, why the hell are egg's different colours? Here in the UK they are the orange colour whites across the pond they are white. Are they any other colours around the world?!

Moheet  hyper 
Forever Flight

ArmitageShanks

RE: Colour Of Eggs

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:36 am

The answer has a lot to do with where the eggs are laid. If the eggs are in a nest of leaves and twigs, speckled green and brown eggs will be difficult for egg-eating predators to find. On a rocky ledge, gray and black spots will help to hide the egg. White eggs are easier for predators to spot, so birds that have white eggs usually lay them out of sight, inside tree hollows or in burrows. In places where many birds are nesting near each other, such as rocky sea cliffs, different markings may help the parents recognize their own nests.

The breeds that lay white-shelled eggs are more prolific and eat less feed, so they were the more profitable choice for factory farming here in the U.S.

Most animal eggs taste the same.

[Edited 2005-03-28 23:43:23]

NoUFO

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:58 am

White chicken lay white eggs, brown chicken brown eggs.
Yolk colour of an egg is achieved by a dietary response to the pigments present in the chicken's diet.
I support the right to arm bears

redngold

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:16 am

NoUFO -- I hope you're not serious...

I can't explain the shell colour off the top of my head, but the internal colour is determined by the color of the major constitutent.

The "egg white" has a high protein content, much of which is a chemical called albumin. Albumin is mostly clear at room temperature but when subjected to heat (cooking) the protein coagulates (denatures) and turns white.

At the same time, the yolk has a high sulfur and iron content. The yellowish orange color of an uncooked yolk is due to the sulfur content as viewed through the uncoagulated albumen.

A boiled egg has a solid yellow yolk again due to the sulfur.

A solid yolk, if subjected to continued heat, will get a green surface as the iron in the egg white interacts with the sulfur on the surface of the yolk. If you have a greenish yolk and you cut it, you will see that the centre is still yellow.
Up, up and away!

NoUFO

Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:40 pm

Trust me, Redngold.

White Leghorn chickens are white, and they lay white eggs. Other chickens like New Hampshire chickens are reddish brown and lay brown or brown-speckled eggs.

Quoting Redngold (Reply 3):
The yellowish orange color of an uncooked yolk is due to the sulfur content as viewed through the uncoagulated albumen.

That may very well be the case but then the amount of sulfur depends on the chicken's diet.

Edited to add the following links:
Yolk colour: http://www.theranger.co.uk/vet/vet25.htm
brown and white eggs: http://www.mrbreakfast.com/ask.asp?askid=23

[Edited 2005-03-29 04:44:32]
I support the right to arm bears

AsstChiefMark

Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:50 pm

The color of an eggshell depends upon the breed of hen. Hens with white ear lobes lay white eggs. Hens with red ear lobes lay brown eggs. Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires and Plymouth Rock chickens lay brown eggs. White Leghorns and Brown Leghorns lay white eggs.

Source: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/eggs/res18-trivia.html
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

n506cr

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:28 pm

no kidding my granduncle (kinda my grandmom) has a blue (all light blue) egg lying chicken. I show them to some people and they think I'm lying. NO I'm not! I don't paint eggs. Whenever I go to her house again I'll get a shot of them.

redngold

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:35 pm

and that, NoUFO, is why I said "I can't explain the shell colour off the top of my head."  smirk  I was only adding information about the *inside* of the egg.
Up, up and away!

BritPilot777
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:11 am

Holy shit i didnt realise this post was gonna get so scientific, I think I just had a few to many drinks before I posted it, LOL  rotfl 

Moheet  hyper 
Forever Flight

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:14 am

Should we get into why robin eggs are blue and not grey or orange?  Big grin

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

CaptOveur

Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:12 pm

I thought the shell color was related to diet.. My girlfriend has an aunt with a farm so we get a fairly steady supply of good eggs (not those lousy grocery store things) and they come in all different shades of brown and white. I have never met the chickens though.

I know someone who had white ducks, they laid white eggs. Duck eggs are the best if you can get them, very creamy and considerably larger than chicken eggs.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.