planespotting

Your Favorite Highway/interstate?

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:47 am

I've been on a lot of roads in my life, but my favorite interstates and highways are as follows (with reasons), and the segments i'm referring to:

US Highway 61 between Davenport Iowa and Dubuque Iowa. I've driven it probably 100+ times since i've been to school at UD and it's always a very nice drive, especially in the fall.

I-90 between Rockford and O'hare. Means im on the Illinois tollway and going to my favorite city. Also in that area, getting on I-294 @ O'hare and taking it south towards Orland Park. When it's busy but not packed, it's a fun road to drive if you watch out for yourself and the other crazy people on it. Lots of fun i've had before and after driving on that road.

I-55 between St. Louis and Bloomington/Normal Illinois. Great views of central Illinois, reminds me of home.

And for all you people from Dallas Texas out there, you can't leave out the Dallas North Tollway between Beltline and Mockingbird! I took it nearly every day on my drive from my house in Richardson to the Southwest Flight Training Center @ DAL. Always was excited about getting to work. I even saw Gary Kelly driving his porsche in one morning and I told everyone that we drove to work "together"....haha.

discuss.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

EGGD

RE: Your Favorite Highway/interstate?

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:54 am

Strange question... I guess it'd have to be the A55 which I think runs from the Wirral to Holyhead or there abouts along the north coast of Wales. Very nice scenery and I usually travel down it when i'm going to visit my uncle, so I have good memories...

[Edited 2005-03-30 23:55:31]

Newark777

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:06 am

Route 78. Leads straight to EWR...  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Usairwys757

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:10 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
Route 78. Leads straight to EWR.

In other words Newark777, it leads straight to Hell.  Wink
Inactive.....

Newark777

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 3):
In other words Newark777, it leads straight to Hell.

If you are going there in order to fly, you are correct. Big grin

Harry

Superfly

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:26 am

Hiway 395, along the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevadas. That is whare the desert meets the hi Sierras and there is a string of small and deserted towns along that route.
Bring back the Concorde

stlgph

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting Planespotting (Thread starter):

I-55 between St. Louis and Bloomington/Normal Illinois. Great views of central Illinois, reminds me of home

I have to definitely agree there, except extend from Bloomington/Normal north to the I-80 intersection.

Also in Illinois, I-74 is a rather scenic drive from Galesburg to Urbana. I also enjoy I-24 between I-57 and Nashville.

I-70 anywhere just. plain. sucks.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Superfly

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:08 am

Stlgph:
Take I-70 through the Colorado Rockies and you'll feel a lot different.
Bring back the Concorde

AGC525

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:24 am

Traffic and DOT work aside, here in PIT I-376 east and west, and I-279 north and south. No matter which way you enter, you get a breath taking view of the city, Especially coming in from the Parkway west (from the airport). After you exit the Fort Pitt tunnel, you get a spectacular shot of the city upclose.

American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:27 am

You guys haven't lived until you've driven I-10 from El Paso, through Van Horn, on to Fort Stockton, then past Sonora and Ozona, then Junction, down through the heart of San Antonio, then over through Houston, and on to Winnie, Beaumont, Orange City, and Vidor.....all the time still being in Texas. Over 880 miles of pure driving excitement.  sarcastic 

Sarcasm aside, I'll take the I-70 corridor from Grand Junction through Eagle and Vail, past Glenwood Springs, then below Copper Mountain, past Frisco/Dillon, then up over Loveland Pass, and down the hill past Silver Plume/Georgetown, Idaho Springs and the Argo Mill, down into Denver.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

KFLLCFII

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:32 am

I-595 in Fort Lauderdale between hwy US-1 and I-95. That 2-mile stretch runs parallel to rwy 9L-27R @ FLL, and has a perfect view of the runway because it's elevated about 20 ft for the entire stretch! The FexEx sort facility is just adjacent to the span, and at any given time there's about 3 MD-10's, an A300, and a few 727's waiting to be loaded. The best part: I commute on it twice every day!!!  Big grin  Silly

Along the right edge of this photo:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Friedel Bergmann

Here's a good angle to see its elevation, just above the tip-tank:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Hank Nix

"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:35 am

The Alaska Highway from it's beginnings just outside Edmonton through Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory, in to Alaska and then connecting to the Richardson Highway/Glenn Highway in to Anchorage finally down the Seward Highway to Seward Alaska. Arguably one if the prettiest, most scenic routes in the world and the Seward Highway is official a US Scenic Byway.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Delta767300ER

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:04 am

State Road 417 Toll "Central Florida Greenway" that bypasses Orlando. I love this road because their are bearly and Florida Highway Patrol Troopers on it and you can run wide open. 417 is also an easier way to get to MCO if you live on the west side of Orlando.

-Delta767300ER

SlamClick

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:37 am

Don't recall the highway numbers, but:

• From Lee Vining California over Tioga pass to Yosemite is a great drive.

• Up the Feather River canyon - starts in Paradise and only gets better.

• California highway 1, the northern part, from San Francisco to Garberville.

• Highway 101 through the redwoods.

• Interstates - not quite as pleasing, but they do get you there quick.
    Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

DfwRevolution

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:42 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 13):
    # California highway 1, the northern part, from San Francisco to Garberville.

I second. Simply amazing.

Highways in my area-

1. George Bush Turnpike. Very modern, long access ramps

2. Central Expressway (U.S. 75), the High Five is a marvel of engineering and construction manegement, and south of the I-635 is very asthetic

KROC

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:42 am

I love interstate highways and even collect the signs. I have about 18 I-Whatever signs. Hard to pick a favorite though. I might have to think about this one for a while.

aloha73g

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:47 am

H3 in Hawai'i is beyond beautiful.....indescribably. Really cool tunnels too.

I-280 in the SF Bay Area is also a joy to drive on. Beutiful considering it runs between/among the urban madness of San Jose and San Francisco. It also provides a great view of SFO from the hills.

Aloha!
    Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

flymia

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:59 am

I-95 since I been on it so many times all over the east coast.
    US-1 passes right by my house. And when I see when traveling somewhere maybe NY or something I just think man I drive south for a while and I will pass my house.
    Also like 112 in Miami goes right by the maintance base into MIA terminal drop off and pick up area than make a few turns and you are on perminiter road which is right next to the airport only a 10 foot fence in the way. Great Views.

[Edited 2005-03-31 02:59:28]
    "It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Newark777

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:05 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 17):
    I-95 since I been on it so many times all over the east coast.

I-95 is one of those roads that I absolutely despise, and avoid at all costs. There is always traffic and delays, and is not fun to drive on at all. Changing to the turnpike in NJ, it just gets worse. The only part of it I like? This one:

http://tinypic.com/2inloo

Harry

planespotting

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:12 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 14):
    1. George Bush Turnpike. Very modern, long access ramps

2. Central Expressway (U.S. 75), the High Five is a marvel of engineering and construction manegement, and south of the I-635 is very asthetic

i definitely have to agree with you about the High Five. I love driving it at night when all the headlights are lined up...it's a very urban landscape, but it's really cool. Even right now while it's all under construction. i can't wait to see it in a few years when it's all completed. and the GB turnpike is very nice too.

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 6):

I have to definitely agree there, except extend from Bloomington/Normal north to the I-80 intersection.

Also in Illinois, I-74 is a rather scenic drive from Galesburg to Urbana.

Definitely, i've only driven it from the Quad Cities to B/N. most of the central/northern illinois interstates offer some pretty awesome scenery.

interstate driving is the shit.

N864DA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:13 am

I-87 north of Albany, also known as the Northway. Just the right amount of twists and turns in the gorgeous Adirondacks with the endless mountains in the background. Another treat is just around the corner!

N864DA

dan2002

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:22 am

This one is self-explanatory.

-Dan
    A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Airlinerfreak

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:27 am

Mine would have to be Pacific Coast Highway because you get a great view of the planes taking off or landing at LAX and it leads down through Mexico and up into Canada. You get the best of the western seaboards coast.

N670UW

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:46 am

I'm with AGC525 on this one. My favorite is the Parkway West (I-279) leaving the Fort Pitt Tunnel into downtown Pittsburgh.

After driving through a pretty depressing, remote area and then the long Fort Pitt Tunnel, you leave with a spectacular view of downtown Pittsburgh as you head out over the Mon River on the Fort Pitt Bridge.

Least favorite: The San Diego Freeway (I-405) through L.A., especially around Torrance - never-ending traffic and oil refineries.  scratchchin 

N670UW

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:52 am

Highway 50 from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe

Pacific Coast Highway of course...gimme any of it

I-94 from Milwaukee to Madison...well not really..its quite boring, but i'll be doing it a lot soon and i'm thinking I can psych myself into enjoying it
    The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

planespotting

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:54 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 24):
    I-94 from Milwaukee to Madison...well not really..its quite boring, but i'll be doing it a lot soon and i'm thinking I can psych myself into enjoying it

UW Madison next year?

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 25):
    UW Madison next year?

You called it!  Smile
    The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

planespotting

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:34 pm

go badgers!

except against the hwkeyes  Wink

congrats on getting in, UW-Madtown is a great school. They did not let me into their mass comm/journalism graduate school. jerksss.

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 15):
    I love interstate highways and even collect the signs. I have about 18 I-Whatever signs.

The Louisiana State Police saw one of your pics in another thread.....they want their I-12 sign back.  wink 

Tom at MSY
    "The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:54 pm

Pacific Coast Highway of course...gimme any of it

I agree, I particularly like the area from MRY south to SBP. That is spectacular. Remember though, if you've not traveled that stretch of road, you had better not be the driver!

Quoting N864DA (Reply 20):
    I-87 north of Albany, also known as the Northway.

The Chief Engineer for that entire section, to the Canadian Border, is a man named George Kurosaka . . . he was my Father-In-Law (RIP, 1993). Quite familiar with Glens Falls, Lake George, and points north. Beautiful drive there.

KROC - I can get you an Alaska highway sign. We don't have any "I" signs here, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for something with Alaska Route 1,2,3,4, etc . . .  Smile
    FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Newark777

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:02 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):
    The Chief Engineer for that entire section, to the Canadian Border, is a man named George Kurosaka . . . he was my Father-In-Law (RIP, 1993). Quite familiar with Glens Falls, Lake George, and points north. Beautiful drive there.

That's a cool little bit of information. I know that road well, since I have gone to the Adirondacks every year since I was born, and my Boy Scout Camp is up there also. A beautiful stretch of highway!  Smile

Harry

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:13 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 30):
    That's a cool little bit of information. I know that road well, since I have gone to the Adirondacks every year since I was born, and my Boy Scout Camp is up there also. A beautiful stretch of highway!

Small World huh . . . he was a Scout Troops leader, but I'm afraid that was before your time  Smile

And I'm sad to admit, NOT before mine . . . damnit!

Lake George in the summer is awesome . . . alas that was a different life. My first wife, George's daughter, passed away in 1987. I've only been back there once since, but it was still beautiful in 1997 when I was up that way.

desertjets

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:18 pm

I'll be up at the Sagamore on Lake George in 3 weeks, can't wait for that.

In my recent travels I've grown fond of US 15 between Harrisburg, PA and Frederick, MD. Even though there isn't much out there, the scenery of rural SE PA and central MD is quite nice.

And b/c nobody has asked my least liked stretch of highway these days is the NYS Thruway (I-90) between Syracuse and Buffalo.
    Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

PJ295

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:20 pm

The best I have been on is I - 70 from Denver to Grand Junction. In the space of a couple of hours you transition from the Plains to the High Alpine of the Rockies (You are almost at 12,000 ft if you take the detour over Loveland Pass) and then finally down to the canyons of the Colorado River on the western slope of the mountains. The stretch of the interstate through Glenwood Canyon is quite an engineering marvel.

SFOMEX

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:11 pm

Highway 101, from San Francisco to San Jose at night (during rush hour is a living hell). SFO looks great at your left side, plus you have a superb view of some heavies at the International terminal. I used to slow down my speed just to check out the planes.

Highway 50 from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe

I 2nd that. I love it.
    The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

deltairlines

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:25 pm

I-89 through Vermont isn't a bad drive...goes right through the Green Mountains.

Of course, most of my interstate travels have been pretty boring...short drives to the city, and in the northeast, there isn't much scenery, it's all urban.

Jeff

N317AS

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:41 pm

I-90 from Seattle to where it turns of to Yellowstone National Park.
    It's funny though, I hate that same stretch of highway going from Yellowstone to Seattle.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Chugach

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:57 pm

I've done the Alaska Highway 7 times, with various detours on the Klondike Highway, Haines Highway, Taylor Highway, and Top of the World Highway on each trip. Absolutely nothing like it.

Sentimental favorite is US 395 between Pendleton and Long Creek, Oregon: that's home for me.

RayChuang

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:03 pm

Of all the roads I've driven so far, my favorite is Interstate 5 between Grants Pass and Eugene in Oregon. The drive has the feel of driving the German autobahnen in the Black Forest region of that country.  bigthumbsup 

phxairfan

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:07 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 9):
    You guys haven't lived until you've driven I-10 from El Paso, through Van Horn, on to Fort Stockton, then past Sonora and Ozona, then Junction, down through the heart of San Antonio, then over through Houston, and on to Winnie, Beaumont, Orange City, and Vidor.....all the time still being in Texas. Over 880 miles of pure driving excitement. sarcastic

That doosy is included in my favorite stretch of road. I-10 bewteen Baton Rouge in Phoenix. All I have to do is hop in it, drive 1400 miles and I'm either at home or school. I joke with my friends back in AZ and tell em i'm gonna go hop on I-10 and be over in a few.

KAUSpilot

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:10 pm

I-10, L.A. to Jacksonville.

Best stretch, of course, is between El Paso and Orange.

Jkw777

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:19 pm

Well I'm a Brit, but I can answer this one!

http://www.justinwood.me.uk/images/405N.jpg

The Carpool lane on the 405 North absolutely rocked! It's a shame it ended just after LAX. But we cut out LOADS of traffic using it one day over there.

Regards,
    Justin  Smile
    jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

CPH-R

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:24 pm

The part of the Autobahn that runs through Kassel Hills - where other parts of the Autobahn is pretty much straight ahead, Kassel Hills is up, down, left, right all the time. Also, if going through at night, the look of the red lights from the other drivers gives a pretty cool sight as they snake through the landscape.

OYRJA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:26 pm

Hey CPH-R,

I thought your favorite was Køge motorvejen  Wink

DLKAPA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:30 pm

Oops

Please Delete Please Delete

[Edited 2005-03-31 09:32:13]
    And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

DLKAPA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:30 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 9):
    Sarcasm aside, I'll take the I-70 corridor from Grand Junction through Eagle and Vail, past Glenwood Springs, then below Copper Mountain, past Frisco/Dillon, then up over Loveland Pass, and down the hill past Silver Plume/Georgetown, Idaho Springs and the Argo Mill, down into Denver.

So you'll go from Grand Junction to Eagle, then make a U turn to go BACK through glenwood springs, another U turn to go by Copper and Frisco, then get off the interstate to take loveland (Good Call, Eisenhower sucks)? That'll use some extra gas...

Personally I think Southbound I76 when leaving North Platte or Eastbound I80 when leaving Omaha are both nice stretches of interstate  Wink

The only good thing to ever come out of nebraska is the Interstate
    And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

CPH-R

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:31 pm

Quoting OYRJA (Reply 43):
    I thought your favorite was Køge motorvejen

Pft, if you enjoy getting stuck in traffic  Yeah sure - besides, the speed limit is 130 kph Big grin

OYRJA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:33 pm

Or is it Gl. Køge LAndevej? I cant remember which one of them that is the poor road.

CPH-R

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:51 pm

Traitor! Just because Ukraine won  hissyfit 

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:57 pm

401 East/West from Montreal to Toronto brigs back a lot of fond memories  Smile

My favorite though is the autoroute between Chambery and St Michel de Maurienne in Elbonia. A hefty toll price means almost no one is on that highway, the road condition is excellent (at almost €10 each way it should be), beautiful scenery and when needed it banks a little autobahn style.

UTAette hit 192 km/h with my former Citroen XM V6 (before she got off the gas lol) and I hit 237 km/h with a Renault Safrane V6 Big grin

Oh yes, few gendarmes on that one, but now speed camerhaas have appeared - but we know where they are  Wink

UTA
    Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards