N228UA
Topic Author

Question For The Aussies

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:10 pm

When Howard deployed troops to Iraq, a free trade agreement was put in place with the US.

When it was announced on the news here in Japan that Australia would send troops to defend the Japan SDF, I said to my wife, here comes a free trade deal between Japan and Australia. Sure enough, a few weeks later Howard starts talking about free trade with Japan. Howard immediately denied that the trade deal had anything to do with helping out Japan which in my view, makes it look even more suspicious.

What are you views on this? And does anyone know what the free trade deal involves?

I'm hoping that we start importing cheap Tim Tams, I'm tired of paying A$7 a packet  Sad

USAFHummer

RE: Question For The Aussies

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:27 pm

Quoting N228UA (Thread starter):

I'm hoping that we start importing cheap Tim Tams, I'm tired of paying A$7 a packet Sad

At least you can get them!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

N228UA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:41 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 1):
At least you can get them!

Try this site: http://australian-food.com/

Ozair

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:23 pm

Australia's trade deals are usually no holes barred, so almost everything is on the agenda. John has been quite busy lately with these, not only the US but also Japan, UAE, China and Indonesia are in his sights to name just a few. I'm no economist so I can't actually say what the point of it is other than a boost for our products in these countries, more market access etc.

I'm tired of paying A$7 a packet

They're on special this week, only $1.99 from Woolies. Still if you get them in Japan for $7 then I wouldn't be too worried. I payed $10 for a small jar of Vegemite in the UK last Christmas.

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:29 pm

Of course there is a link, John Howard isn't known by his collegues as "that cunning little c***" for nothing.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

N228UA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 4):
Of course there is a link, John Howard isn't known by his collegues as "that cunning little c***" for nothing

c***s in the true sense of the word are useful so I guess we can't say that about Howard  Wink

He's coming up here soon for another love fest with Koizumi...it's going to be bloody sickening to watch.

What's Beazley up to these days? Haven't seen anything in the papers about him.

Quoting Ozair (Reply 3):
They're on special this week, only $1.99 from Woolies. Still if you get them in Japan for $7 then I wouldn't be too worried. I payed $10 for a small jar of Vegemite in the UK last Christmas

$1.99?  cry  $10 for vegemite is criminal. My wife hates the stuff so I still have my stash intact.

I will appeal to Howard for cheap Tim Tams and Bundy rum for all Aussie expats here.

jasepl

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 4):
Of course there is a link, John Howard isn't known by his collegues as "that cunning little c***" for nothing.

And obviously you concur!  Smile

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 pm

Quoting N228UA (Reply 5):
What's Beazley up to these days? Haven't seen anything in the papers about him

Oh you mean our next Prime Minister? He's great.

QFF

Ozair

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:19 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 7):
Oh you mean our next Prime Minister? He's great.

That's a brave prediction, as much as I want a change if the little man with the big eyebrows in still there in three years I can't see him losing.

Quoting N228UA (Reply 5):
$10 for vegemite is criminal. My wife hates the stuff so I still have my stash intact.

wives are the same the world over I see.  Smile

N228UA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 7):
Oh you mean our next Prime Minister? He's great

Ah hum...how about getting Keating back? He kicked arse and could give Howard a run for his money? I like Beazley but he lacks something. I love to see Keating and Costello up against each other in parliament.

Quoting Ozair (Reply 8):
wives are the same the world over I see.

Indeed they are. I can't buy vegemite here but I can buy a pet kangaroo...go figure.

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:09 pm

Quoting Ozair (Reply 8):
That's a brave prediction, as much as I want a change if the little man with the big eyebrows in still there in three years I can't see him losing.

I can. Beazley absolutely kicks ass. Such style, such panash, such an intellect...

*sigh* - one day, sir.

QFF

bill142

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:58 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 10):

I can. Beazley absolutely kicks ass. Such style, such panash, such an intellect...

And thats why he couldn't cut it on two occasions.

gkirk

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:04 pm

QFF, Why are you not angered about being called an Aussie like you usually are?  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

N228UA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:40 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):
QFF, Why are you not angered about being called an Aussie like you usually are?

I don't recall seeing him being angry for being called an Australian.

BTW - How are the sheep in Ethiopia compared to Scotland  Wink

WunalaYann

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:13 pm

Why are you not angered about being called an Aussie like you usually are?

And why are you not angered about being called a roast-beef by most of my fellow countrymen, whereas roast-beef usually describes the English?

Wink

skidmarks

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:18 pm

Why pay $10 for Vegemite when you could have the real thing, Marmite? Much better and far less dangerous to your innards. Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Banco

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:35 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 15):
Why pay $10 for Vegemite when you could have the real thing, Marmite?

Maybe because it's hideous, revolting and should be re-classified as a weapon of mass destruction? Oh, hang on, that's true of vegemite too! Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

N228UA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:40 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 15):
Why pay $10 for Vegemite when you could have the real thing, Marmite?

Maybe because it's hideous, revolting and should be re-classified as a weapon of mass destruction? Oh, hang on, that's true of vegemite too!

Just like all English food  Wink

Seriously, Vegemite, Marmite & Promite are a far better option than eating rice and dried fish for brekkie like a lot of folks here do.

gkirk

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:40 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 14):
And why are you not angered about being called a roast-beef by most of my fellow countrymen, whereas roast-beef usually describes the English?

As long as you dont call me French  Wink

WunalaYann

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:42 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 18):
As long as you dont call me French

Nah worries, mate, us monkeys care about our gene-pool...  Wink

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:43 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 11):
And thats why he couldn't cut it on two occasions.

Yeah isn't that a good reason, well done Bill. What a perspicuous person you are.

QFF, Why are you not angered about being called an Aussie like you usually are?

Age has wearied me, Kirkie. Anyway, I believe that N228UA is Australian or a New Zealander - which means he is more entitled than most to use that word.

QFF

N228UA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:57 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 20):
Age has wearied me, Kirkie. Anyway, I believe that N228UA is Australian or a New Zealander - which means he is more entitled than most to use that word.

Yep, I'm 100% Australian!  Smile

gkirk

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:11 pm

Age has wearied me, Kirkie.

You know whats coming  Wink

old   old   old   old   old 
Welcome to a.net's Grumpy Old Men Club  Wink

Banco

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:21 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 22):
Welcome to a.net's Grumpy Old Men Club

I'm not sure "Grumpy" is the right word here. "Irascible" perhaps?  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:35 pm

Now now - even though I do laugh the laugh of the righteous on the issue of the republic, my ego does not require the space afforded by an exclusive a.net club.

QFF

bill142

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:39 pm

Yeah isn't that a good reason, well done Bill. What a perspicuous person you are.

I meant it as a question. My mistake.

Obviously the reason he never became prime minister had more to do with the policies of the Labour party then his personality. Do you really think I'm that stupid to base an opinion, espcially when it comes to running the country I love, based on their personality?.

I don't like John Howard, but the policies the Liberal party offered, I felt, were better for the future of this country.

But then there will be those who cast their vote based on the personality and their overall opinion of the leader, fortunantly, I'm not one of them.

QANTASforever

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:07 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 25):
But then there will be those who cast their vote based on the personality and their overall opinion of the leader, fortunantly, I'm not one of them.

Why can't it be on both? The personality of the leader has a great impact on the party - just look at the difference between concensus Hawke Labor and Crash-through Keating Labor. I'm baffled as to why a relatively young person such as yourself would want to vote for the Liberal party to be honest.

Then again, if Peter Costello ever became PM - I certainly would be happier than I am with the incumbent.

QFF

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 14):
And why are you not angered about being called a roast-beef by most of my fellow countrymen

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 18):

Yann - Scotsmen should be referred to as les dippfraedMairsBairs

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
I'm not sure "Grumpy" is the right word here. "Irascible" perhaps?

"Psycho hose-beast", would be my suggestion  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

nycflyer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:21 am

wait, I thought Kim Beazley was no longer the head of the Labor party? Isn't there some younger guy in there now, who lost the election to Howard last October?

Australia would send troops to defend the Japan SDF

and why the hell does the Japanese ARMY need others to protect them? are they damsels in distress? that's pathetic. isn't the whole point of an Army that they're a fighting force that can at least "protect" themselves?

QANTASforever

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:49 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 28):
wait, I thought Kim Beazley was no longer the head of the Labor party? Isn't there some younger guy in there now, who lost the election to Howard last October?

He's baaaaack. Mark Latham who lost the election last year left politics forever due to health reasons. He basically did a bit F*** you to the press before he left. Went out in a blaze of glory!

Kim was elected leader unopposed. He is an utterly brilliant man and in three years or so will be this nation's Prime Minister.

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 28):
and why the hell does the Japanese ARMY need others to protect them? are they damsels in distress? that's pathetic.

No, you're pathetic for jumping to such a ridiculous conclusion. These people are doing rebuilding work in the country, they are not a fighting force. We know that even army dishwashers in the US might be armed with nuclear weapons - but Japan is a different story. Australia is happy to protect an ally in a warzone.

nycflyer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 29):
No, you're pathetic for jumping to such a ridiculous conclusion. These people are doing rebuilding work in the country, they are not a fighting force. We know that even army dishwashers in the US might be armed with nuclear weapons - but Japan is a different story. Australia is happy to protect an ally in a warzone.

Japan has 550 troops in the country. Bulgaria has 460 and they don't need anyone to "protect" them! The Aussies have 800 or 900, don't need extra protection. This speaks more of the sad state (as decided by law) of the Japanese military than anything else. Of course, I'm still greatful for their assistance to the Iraqi reconstruction efforts.

N228UA
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:57 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 30):
Japan has 550 troops in the country. Bulgaria has 460 and they don't need anyone to "protect" them! The Aussies have 800 or 900, don't need extra protection. This speaks more of the sad state (as decided by law) of the Japanese military than anything else. Of course, I'm still greatful for their assistance to the Iraqi reconstruction efforts.

Before you go jumping up and down about the law here, remember it was the US that made the frikking law that we can't fight in the first place. QFF's reply is spot on, we are there to rebuild Iraq, not fight your war for you.

bill142

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:19 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 26):
Then again, if Peter Costello ever became PM - I certainly would be happier than I am with the incumbent.

Don't you mean when?. We all know its coming. We all know Peter Costello will be the next Prime Minister of Australia, even if it is only for 18 months or so.

Why can't it be on both?

It can be both. The majority of my friends would have voted against John Howard, despite the fact their not voting for him directly, simply because they don't like him. They don't take into consideration ANY of the policies offered.

I'm baffled as to why a relatively young person such as yourself would want to vote for the Liberal party to be honest.

So what? I'm to young to have my own opinion am I?. I have to listen to my parents and do as they say, despite the fact I'm a legal adult?. I don't think so.

I have my reasons for voting Liberal, just like you have yours for voting Labour. Do me the simple decency of respcting my right to an opinion and for casting a valid vote, just like I do for you.

QANTASforever

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 32):
I have my reasons for voting Liberal, just like you have yours for voting Labour. Do me the simple decency of respcting my right to an opinion and for casting a valid vote, just like I do for you.

Hilarious. Apparently I'm denying you your right to vote for whomever you wish by stating that I don't understand why you voted Liberal!

When did I ever say you couldn't choose for whom you voted?

I merely wondered why a young person like you would vote Liberal.

Oh - and if you wanna get picky with me - it's L - A - B - O - R. Learn how to spell it.

QFF

DeskPilot

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:50 pm

QFF

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 33):
Oh - and if you wanna get picky with me - it's L - A - B - O - R. Learn how to spell it.

QFF, I thought you had mellowed, but there's still the old spark there !  Smile
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

ozvirginuk

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:58 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 3):
I payed $10 for a small jar of Vegemite in the UK last Christmas.

You got ripped off mate. You can buy it at TESCO and Sainsbury's for about £1.50. And imagine my joy when I disvovered that TESCO also started selling Tim Tams for £1.35, that's a steal even when converted!!!!!!

Ozvirginuk