S12PPL
Topic Author

Are We Done With The Pope Yet?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:32 pm

I may be the only person on the plannet growing tired of the constant media attention surrounding the Pope's health condition. And if I am, sorry for the post. But seriously...are we done yet? All these "tributes", and "vigils" are getting a little bit old. The man has lived a very long, and successful life. But, can we let him die in peace? I don't quite understand why we need to draw so much damn attention to his death. It will be sad to see him die, and even though I am Jewish, my thoughts are with all those who are apart of the church. But, enough is enough. Stop glorifying a death.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

OzarkD9S

RE: Are We Done With The Pope Yet?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:33 pm

We're almost done with this Pope, but the next one is in the wings.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

Newark777

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:33 pm

You are certainly free to turn the TV off if you are sick of hearing about it.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

jasepl

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:34 pm

You aren't the only one. And it's not just about the Pope. The media have started to Diana-fy everything. It's annoying.

EA CO AS

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:37 pm

The media have started to Diana-fy everything. It's annoying.

You have it backwards - the over-the-top coverage the Princess of Wales' death received should only have been given to someone the likes of Pope John Paul II.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:37 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
You are certainly free to turn the TV off if you are sick of hearing about it.

What a naive statement. It dominates every channel, every hour, every day. I should be able to watch Comedy Central without hearing about the Pope's impending death. (It's an example...before you start flaming me...)
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Newark777

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:40 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 5):
It dominates every channel, every hour, every day

That is because it is a huge news event. It is not very often that a pope dies or is severely ill, and there are millions of people here and throughout the world who care about what is going on at the Vatican right now. I guess you would rather see the news go back to the Michael Jackson trial or other celebrity gossip like that.

Harry

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:48 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 5):
What a naive statement. It dominates every channel, every hour, every day. I

Funny, it hasn't interrupted Battlestar Galactica on SciFi at all this evening. I concur with Newark77 - change the channel.

We'renot talking about the likes of some two-bit hood, or a leader of a some rag tag organization. This is the Pope. I'm not Catholic, but this WILL have an impact on international relations and politics.

You can always pop in a DVD and watch re-runs of Green Acres or I Love Lucy or what ever else swipes your fancy.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LFutia

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:50 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Thread starter):
I may be the only person on the plannet growing tired of the constant media attention surrounding the Pope's health condition. And if I am, sorry for the post. But seriously...are we done yet? All these "tributes", and "vigils" are getting a little bit old. The man has lived a very long, and successful life. But, can we let him die in peace? I don't quite understand why we need to draw so much damn attention to his death. It will be sad to see him die, and even though I am Jewish, my thoughts are with all those who are apart of the church. But, enough is enough. Stop glorifying a death.

I second all of this! except... I am Episcopalian... but not much of a church-goer... havent been in a few years.
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

jasepl

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:54 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 4):
You have it backwards - the over-the-top coverage the Princess of Wales' death received should only have been given to someone the likes of Pope John Paul II.

Well, they did Diana-fy Diana's death and funeral. Then they started doing it with others. And now they're doing it with the Pope.

They just need to stop. And let people die in peace and dignity. This circus is anything but dignified; it's vulgar.

[Edited 2005-04-02 10:14:22]

backfire

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:07 pm

You're talking about a man who has influence over one-sixth of the world's population.

That's more followers than your US President (supposedly the 'world's most powerful man'   ) could ever dream to have.

We had wall-to-wall coverage of former President Reagan's death. Unlike the Pope he wasn't even in office at the time - hadn't been for years - and even his term of service was a small fraction of the Pope's 25 years.

Pope John Paul II is a man respected by a billion people worldwide. I'm not Catholic - not religious at all - and even I respect him.

The reason we have the coverage is because this is incredibly important to a vast number of people. It's one of the few events which actually merits this sort of media focus.

May I suggest that, instead of whining about the coverage, you watch some of it and understand why this man is being given so much attention. You might learn something.

[Edited 2005-04-02 10:14:59]

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:10 pm

It's going to go on for many weeks. After he dies, the cardinals have to elect a new one. I remember when Pope Paul VI died. It took forever to elect John Paul I in 1978 and the media interrupted TV shows everytime there was a vote. It took a few days. Then John Paul I decided to die after 33 days; he couldn't hack it. Then the whole damned circus started all over again.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

rootsair

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:56 pm

and even though I am Jewish, my thoughts are with all those who are apart of the church

There it goes, you're not catholic so you cannot imagine what he represents for us !
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

PA110

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:06 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 12):
There it goes, you're not catholic so you cannot imagine what he represents for us !

And you were Jamaican only this morning. Now you're Costa Rican? Enough of wearing your faith on your sleeve for all of us to see. Just let the man go in peace and move on. You've got one thead for tributes, another expressing righteos indignation etc... Enough already!
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

BartiniMan

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:58 pm

PA110 just go back a few months on this forum and try and count the number of threads about the US election. An event that only the majority of Americans really cared about, yet as soon as Bush farted there was a thread posted about it by an American. Yet you have the audacity to tell people that 2 threads regarding the Pope is enough? There are 1 billion catholics in the world, a bit more than you Americans.

BCNGRO

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:36 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 9):
They just need to stop. And let people die in peace and dignity. This circus is anything but dignified; it's vulgar.

That's it. The media is making a show of his death. I know this is a very important moment to a large number of people, but, c'mon, there's just no need for the media to jump the gun every time his condition worsens because one of his organs has failed. Everybody knows he's going to die, let's just let him do it in peace.

Now, imagine he recovered and lived some more years, he would have a good laugh at all the media waiting for him to die!

[Edited 2005-04-02 13:39:45]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

ACDC8

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:43 pm

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you guys about the media making this a circus (as it usually does).

But I am also thinking of the millions of believers and followers that are glued to their TV's awaiting anyword, whether it be hopeful or sad. This is the only way they can be close to their spiritual leader in his final hours.

So, I think this time, I'm giving the media praise for their continuous coverage.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

QANTAS077

Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:23 pm

hire a dvd or a video and that'll solve the problem! our news had bits and pieces but nothing to extensive, just enough to let us know the old guy is still on his death bed, but we already knew that! all were waiting to hear now is that he's dead, i'll probably miss it while i'm watching Napoleon Dynamite on video!  Smile

TACAA320

Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:16 pm

And how does it affect you?

I really don't care if you're Jew, Muslim or atheist. I'm also tired of breaking news about terrorist attacks in the Middle East, but because I want peace to that important part of the world.

If you don't like it, just look for something else to do. The "tributes" and "vigils" will continue as it happened with every single Pope in the past.

[Edited 2005-04-02 15:27:47]
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):
Then the whole damned circus started all over again.

A circus?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

jake056

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:03 am

what would you prefer 24 hour NEWS stations cover? The world is awash in a never-ending news cycle and it ain't ending anytime soon. They have to cover SOMETHING, so this is what it is. BREAKING NEWS.

Looks like you won't be working in media anytime soon if you can't figure that one out!!!

Last time I checked we all still had free will, so turn of the TV, the radio, the internet and do something non-electronic.

VHXLR8

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:24 am

the over-the-top coverage the Princess of Wales' death received should only have been given to someone the likes of Pope John Paul II.

I'd rather see footage and tributes for someone who was human, caring, and actually got off their ass to get out there and help the people.

Newark777

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 21):
I'd rather see footage and tributes for someone who was human, caring, and actually got off their ass to get out there and help the people.

Again, you may not have respect for him, but many millions of others do. Remember, you aren't the most important person in the world.  Yeah sure

Harry

Falcon84

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:45 am

Bingo. Hit a home run on that one.

And if said author of this thread is tired of it, turn off the boob tube, and go do something constructive, like help the poor, or something that would compare you favorably to this man you're sick of hearing about.

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 21):

If you're saying the Holy Father didn't, then tell me what he did visiting 120 nations in his tenure? He certainly did what Christ commanded of his disciples-go out and spread the word to all men. So your criticism rings a little hollow.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:49 am

Are we done with S12PPL yet? - God
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

AJBUS300

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:13 am

Dude, how can you honestly believe that the Pope death's will go without notice? That is absurd. You have to realize who he is and what he represents and why this is such a big deal. As stated in other post, just change the channel or turn the TV off. You will be hearing it for awhile so get used to it. The Pope is an international holy figure....HELLO, he is the leader of the Catholics and there are billions of us. You are being naive if you believe no one is going to talk about the Pope's death, it is absurd, so tough it out and pray for the Pope instead of complaining about the media coverage.
Live each day as if it was your last day on God's beautiful green earth

cumulonimbus

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:22 am

I am not a Christian or Cathiolic at all, but I can respect a great man whenever I see one. EA CO AS, I would have to agree with your statement. Terri Scihevo Etc. is not a world changer like the Pope and I could care less about them. If anybody gets the "Diana Treatment" and deserves it, it is Pope John Paul the Second.

Mike

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:32 am

Considering there are over 1 billion Catholics in the world you seem to be out numbered right now at the moment. Sorry for that.

Perhaps you can spend more time with your family or perhaps contribute in some charitable task in your own community. And as was said turn off your TV if your don't like it. Simple task for you I'm sure.
787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

flybyguy

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:44 am

The reason why the media is having a field-day with the Holy Father's impending demise is the grandeur and splendor of the Church itself. I don't know about many other churches, but the Catholic Church is rich with ancient traditions, grand architecture, clandestine rituals and vast wealth. Popes in Rome have sat on thrones of gold, walked with bejeweled staffs, worn ornate robes, and have been treated like Emperors. These were many of the same things people liked in the British Royal Family and thus the circumstances surrounding Princess Diana's death and funeral. When Mother Teresa passed on, her funeral received minimal media coverage because of the simplicity surrounding her life.

It is to be expected that the Pope's death and the ordination of a new Pope will dominate the news for the next few weeks. I expect live footage of the funeral with only the best journalists giving commentary at John Paul II's funeral as the most powerful leaders from around the world will attend.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

NWAFA

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:48 am

Enough of the 24/7 coverage. Yes this is an event. There are millions of people that are NOT catholic. There must be some other news. I think it is outrageous that news is showing mass on TV. I think we need to see a Muslim service on TV. I think we need to see Friday night temple service from a synagogue.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

dl021

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:53 am

Why don't you guys let the 1/4 of the worlds population that were this mans flock go through their grief process?

The news is going to talk about the Pope, as well as continue to inform people of the news (many still have not heard) and this will help folks get through this.....it's traumatic for many.

Go read a book or take a walk if you are tired of the news. I'll bet that's what the Pope would have suggested for you.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:56 am

Quoting Backfire (Reply 10):
Pope John Paul II is a man respected by a billion people worldwide. I'm not Catholic - not religious at all - and even I respect him.

Hear, hear. More than the death of a respectable man, this is a very historic event. We are talking about the leader of the largest organized religious body in the world. He is even respected by most protestants (of which I am one), and we are watching this with fascination. For some of us, our respect is heightened by his (relatively) conservative stances on many issues with which much of the protestant world is aligned.

On the other hand, I am not terribly saddened by his passing. He lived a long, active life, doing exactly what he loved to do! He impacted billions of people for nearly three decades! May he rest in peace.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

NWAFA

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:57 am

1/4 of the world is also Muslim, so when the next big person in the Muslim world dies then that should be on TV also. How about the Baptist..Mormons, Lutheran.

QANTAS077

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting 787 (Reply 27):
Considering there are over 1 billion Catholics in the world you seem to be out numbered right now at the moment. Sorry for that.

Perhaps you can spend more time with your family or perhaps contribute in some charitable task in your own community. And as was said turn off your TV if your don't like it. Simple task for you I'm sure.

considering there are 5 billion people that aren't catholics i think your well out numbered right now, and any time in the future too! Perhaps you can spend more time at the Vatican so us Non-Catholics don't have to read your rubbish here.

as for Karol, looking past his views, he was a decent and open hearted person, we are not done with Karol, but Karol is now done with us.

NWAFA

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:01 pm

Ahhh I see truths hurt.

aa757first

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 29):
Enough of the 24/7 coverage. Yes this is an event. There are millions of people that are NOT catholic. There must be some other news. I think it is outrageous that news is showing mass on TV. I think we need to see a Muslim service on TV. I think we need to see Friday night temple service from a synagogue.

There are about two million Muslims in the United States. There are five and a half million Jews. There are seventy million Catholics, or thirty-five times the about of Muslims or twelve times the number of Jews.

AAndrew

NWAFA

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:11 pm

They still should be allowed equal coverage if there is going to be 24/7 reporting.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 19):
A circus?

Media circus
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

727LOVER

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:32 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
You can always pop in a DVD and watch re-runs of Green Acres or I Love Lucy or what ever else swipes your fancy.

Don't forget PORN....yes....PORN...lots of PORN!
Love Trumps Hate

jetjack74

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:22 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 39):

Why the hell not? Well we have another 9 days of official mourning, then the selection process begins for a vote on a new Pope. So it's probably going to be about another month before this is over.
Made from jets!

NWAFA

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:23 pm

Wonder if the news will report the full 9 days and the selection process 24/7?

Falcon84

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:32 pm

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 41):
Wonder if the news will report the full 9 days and the selection process 24/7?

I hope so, if only to bug the crap out of you, NWAFA. I really do.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AJBUS300

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:50 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 39):

And go down south.....ie to HELL ......for watching PORN instead of the coverage on the death of the Holy Father........j/k

TACAA320

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:51 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 43):
I found a picture of NWAFA watching the news. Ironically, this is the same reaction she has when too many passengers ask him for the full can of soda.

That's simply great!

NWAFA

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:52 pm

So anyone that does not have the same belief as you will go to hell. The reason why many people are over the coverage on TV.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:55 pm

Thankfully we will never be done with the Pope the vicar of Christ. Perhaps that is what is so enraging to some.
787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

AJBUS300

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 46):
So anyone that does not have the same belief as you will go to hell. The reason why many people are over the coverage on TV.

Do you know what j/k stands for??????????? JUST KIDDING...........as in a joke. I dont know who is going to hell, for all I know....I may be on the list myself! So with that said, I was joking and I really don't care where you all go in an after-life...........but if I do go to Hell, I'll remember when I see some of you down there and remind you about bashing the Catholics and the Pope and I'll have lots of fun telling ya...I TOLD YOU SO!!!.........LOL...........again, just kidding!

TACAA320

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 46):
So anyone that does not have the same belief as you will go to hell.

So you believe in hell. I think you said that you are atheist. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

caribb

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:16 pm

I Know the news sometimes goes nuts on some issues. A 24 Hr news netwok like CNN really presumes it's audience comes in and out and doesn't stay for hours watching their broadcast... so therefore the reason to carry the story for most of the day knowing people will pick it up here and there as they go on with their daily routine.

The Pope touched many people all over the world. I think it's appropriate to focus entirely on him for this event. Many people want to know what happens to him and I can safely bet the viewing audience for this was huge. So this is one time you'd both want and expect the news networks to run lengthy broadcasts.. I will note though when I was watching it this afternoon CBS, FOX and NBC were not live and were still running sports programming while ABC, CNN and the Canadian networks had all cut regular programming opting for full coverage of the Pope's impending death... so there apparently were alternatives... plus all the cable channels were running their usual repetitve stuff they've shown 50 times over.

Springbok747

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:21 pm

And go down south.....ie to HELL ......for watching PORN instead of the coverage on the death of the Holy Father........j/k

AJBUS300, don't tell me you've never watched porn  Yeah sure

Yes, we're all sad that the Pope passed away, but that's life. People die...no matter how great or holy they are/were.
אני תומך בישראל