Mines Liverpool 1-1 Juventus
Lyon 2-1 PSV
Fly DL

BA380

RE: Champions League Tonight

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:20 am

2-1 Liverpool

3-1 Lyon
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

WunalaYann

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:25 am

Perhaps Liverpool 1, Juventus 1

Lyon 2, PSV 2.

Go Reds! Allez Lyon!

Smile

pipo777

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:31 am

Liverpool vs Juve....Juve 1-0.

Lyon vs PSV..........Lyon 3-1.

it will be great getting up at 4:30am to watch both games... sarcastic  ...I really hope they are good matches...

yukimizake

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:29 am

Liverpool 2 - Juventus 1,

Luis Garcia's winning goal was sweet but the away goal for Juve sucks.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

airkas1
Crew

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:37 am

YES YES YES YES YES

Lyon 1- 1 PSV !!!  thumbsup 

Take that you Frenchies taekwondo 

Kas

P.S. No need to get up that early now Pipo..  Wink
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

planespotting

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:09 pm

liverpool played a great match, especially after Juventus got within 1. they held them off quite well.

thank goodness for ESPN2!
Do you like movies about gladiators?

BA380

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:05 pm

My prediction for Liverpool was spot on!

pipo777

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:09 pm

Garcia's goal was awesome. Volley dipped nicely over the keeper... Buffon had no chance.

Good to see Hyypia actually kick a goal as well. Not a bad finish. Away goal was unimpressive. I feel for Carson because he has some talent but made one simple mistake.

Tonights games will be good.

Pipo

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:13 pm

So who went through ?

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

cornish

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:16 pm

Yes all very nice, but Plymouth Argyle beat Watford 1-0 last night. Didn't anyone notice ??!!

In the grand scheme of things that's far more important than this fancy-pants Euro stuff Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

WunalaYann

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:40 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 5):
Lyon 1- 1 PSV !!! thumbsup

Take that you Frenchies taekwondo

Relax, mate. I cheered after both goals...  Smile

Those football nuts, tsk, tsk...  sarcastic 

Cheers.

Thom@s

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:06 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 9):
So who went through ?

Return leg next week. We'll know then.

The Liverpool v Juventus match was quite entertaining. And very nice of the Liverpool fans to spell out the word "Friendship" before kickoff, only to boo the Juventus players as soon as they entered Liverpools half of the field.  Yeah sure

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

BA380

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:15 pm

I think the Milan match tonight could be amusing. Being they both play in the same stadium, but each play one match 'at home' one team could go out on the away goals rule even though both matches are at the San Siro. Happened a couple of seasons back (0-0, 1-1). That would make you fume as a supporter!

monteycarlos

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:40 pm

I think Newcastle and Villa should have an encore tonight... only Dyer and Bowyer will be charged by the FA unless they wear mouthguards and boxing gloves.
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

Sabena332

Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:15 pm

I can't wait for the Chelsea vs. Bayern game tonight. Chelsea is the favorite but Bayern is always good for a surprise, I hope for many goals!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

WunalaYann

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:15 pm

Problem is Chelsea plays airtight defence. For the first time in... hmm, wait, first the time, period, an English team can play defence.

Smile

Though I hate to see Abramovich's money winning a title.  sarcastic 

But that should be a great game, no doubt. Very intense and physical.

Cheers,

Y.

ryanb741

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:22 pm

Thing is Chelsea are missing several top players (Robben, Ferreira) plus Kezman is injured. Although Bayern have Pizarro out. Shame we couldn't see a match with both sides at full strength. Thing is, I fully expect Chelsea to win in Munchen purely because of the way Chelsea play deadly counter-attack. At Chelsea, Bayern could spring a surprise though. I still fancy Chelsea to go through but it won't be a foregone conclusion like many of the press are stupidly saying (bayern knocked out Arsenal for goodness sakes so the press should know that Bayern are a tough team). Bayern will have to play at the maximum and hope Chelsea are not at their best, but Bayern can definitely go through, especially with Ballack.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

BA380

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:39 pm

as an Arsenal fan I can't decide who I want to win - the team that knocked us out or the team ahead of us in the PL? I hope for a match with lots of injuries and bad behaviour between the players so both the teams are thrown out in disgrace  Wink

spinzels

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:26 am

Any CL round without Mourinho and Manu is a good one.  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 12):
And very nice of the Liverpool fans to spell out the word "Friendship" before kickoff, only to boo the Juventus players as soon as they entered Liverpools half of the field.

I think that is perfectly sensible. Extending friendship to the Juve supporters, but also showing support for the LFC defence; Anfield was in full voice last night, amazing support from the stands, the best supporters in football. LFC needs that to thrive, they won’t get it in Turin and that’s why, alas, I don’t think they will go through.

But if you are looking for poor behavior, you need look no further than Juve coach, Fabio Capello, who mocked LFC's ability before the game, and then mocked their victory over him afterwards.

Quoting BA380 (Reply 18):
as an Arsenal fan I can't decide who I want to win - the team that knocked us out or the team ahead of us in the PL? I hope for a match with lots of injuries and bad behaviour between the players so both the teams are thrown out in disgrace

rotfl  Bayern and Chelsea are the two best teams in Europe (well there's AC Milan too), no shame in losing to them. Good call BA380 on the Reds/Juve game.
I've been to Paradise, but I've never been to me

WunalaYann

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:26 am

Quoting BA380 (Reply 18):
I hope for a match with lots of injuries and bad behaviour between the players so both the teams are thrown out in disgrace Wink

Sorry, Newcastle is not playing.  Wink

Perhaps Bayern has a bit more experience at high level.

For surprises, I really thought (feared) that Liverpool would get conned by Juventus. Thank whoever is up there, the Reds did well. So the bets are off. And that's what makes it fun, isn't it?  Smile

Cheers,

Y.

Sabena332

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:51 am

4th minute: 1:0 (Cole)

Coudn't start better!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

planesarecool

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:00 am

Once again, Chelsea score by pure fluke  Yeah sure. Their tactic is smash the ball at somebody and it will go in.

-Stephen

WunalaYann

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:21 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 22):
Their tactic is smash the ball at somebody and it will go in.

Especially if that somebody is Didier Drogba. Pretty efficient tactic, when you have one of the best strikers in the world!  Wink

N1120A

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 20):
Sorry, Newcastle is not playing.

Tell me about it  crying 

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 20):
Perhaps Bayern has a bit more experience at high level.

Well, all that experiance got them an own goal so far this afternoon
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

WunalaYann

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 24):
Tell me about it crying

Seen the pics?  Wink

Quoting N1120A (Reply 24):
Well, all that experiance got them an own goal so far this afternoon

Experience does not mean perfection... And Chelsea is the favorite, in this series...

Cheers,

Y.

VS747SPUR
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:56 am

1-1 Schweinsteiger

Important away goal !
Fly DL

planesarecool

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:02 am

Yes! Come on Bayern!

BA380,

I'm an Arsenal fan too. You should support Bayern because at least if they go on and win the competition then you can say that we were knocked out by the European champions, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

Damn, Lampard just scored.

-Stephen

VS747SPUR
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:04 am

cumon bayern lets have another 1 ! I cant have chelsea winning this game
Fly DL

Sabena332

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:14 am

A perfect goal! (Lampard again!)

Patrick

phxairfan

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:40 am

Munich just got Christmas early. Penalty off of a dive, pathetic. Terrible call by the referee.

ryanb741

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:49 am

Chelsea 4 Bayern 2

Terrible dive by Ballack for the penalty but Chelsea will take 4-2 after it was 1-1 as there is no way Bayern will score 2 goals without Chelsea scoring. To be honest, 4-2 is about right anyway, Bayern weren't 3 goals worse and Ze Roberto missed a sitter in the first half. Lampard was awesome as usual, but Chelsea weren't that great in defence.

I thought Bayern were tactically perfect until Lampard's first goal, then they just fell to pieces. But with Bayern having to attack, and with Chelsea having some players back from injury/suspension in the 2nd leg, Chelsea will just sit back and break very quickly so I fance Chelsea to score at least once in Munich
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Sabena332

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:14 am

Quoting Phxairfan (Reply 30):
Munich just got Christmas early. Penalty off of a dive, pathetic. Terrible call by the referee.

Quoting Ryanb741 (Reply 31):
Terrible dive by Ballack for the penalty

Typical luck for Bayern, they tried to get a penalty with a dive (in the overtime) and got it of course!

Patrick

WunalaYann

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:16 am

Still 4-2 is hard to make up for, especially against a Mourinho-coached team.

So PSV-Chelsea in Semifinals?

Cheers,

Y.

VS747SPUR
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:19 am

Wunala - I think that will be the case.
Although the Chelsea tie isn't over yet, they are in such good form I can see them beating Bayern in Munich.

Looks like Milan V (Liverpool/Juventus) too.
Fly DL

ryanb741

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:29 am

Don't write off Bayern. Until Chelsea scored the second Bayern looked the better team. The thing with Chelsea is that they are so strong and powerful and just wear teams down - hence they score a lot of goals in the final 30 minutes. But when it was 4-1, Chelsea were 90% in the final. Now I recon they are 60% in the final. Chelsea could go out, or of course they could absolutely smash Bayern in Munich as well. The first goal in that game will be crucial.

Ironically Chelsea weren't that good tonight, they gave away free kicks in stupid areas and they played the long ball game (although to be fair that wore Bayern down). They will play a completely different game in Germany. Bayern with Mackay and Pizzarro back will be dangerous - but I believe Chelsea will go through as they have the ability to score goals from nowhere even if they are under pressure (remember the goal in the Nou Camp).

BTW, why on earth does S-G Eriksson think Owen Hargreaves is an England quiality midfielder? He is just so average, compared to Ballack (who despite the foul was Bayern's most threatening player by a mile - that quick change of feet to win the free kick in the first class was awesome).

But I think Bayern now realise that Chelsea are miles better than Arsenal, so for Bayern to win 3-1 (which would take them through) they will have to play as well as they have played for a year, and hope Chelsea lose concentration.

The likelihood is that Bayern will dominate and then Chelsea will pick them off on the break - to a certain extent that happened tonight as Bayern had 60% of the possession. I reckon Chelsea will win in Germany 2-1.

If they do they would surely make mincemeat of PSV/Lyon. Milan/Juve in the final is much harder, although if Liverpool made it to the final (no chance) Chelsea would beat them easily IMHO.

monteycarlos

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:43 am

I thought the draw meant that even if Liverpool and Chelsea went through that they would have to play each other for a spot in the final.

I think if that is that case... AC Milan has sealed a Champions League title.

[Edited 2005-04-07 02:47:59]
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

Banco

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:18 pm

Quoting Ryanb741 (Reply 35):
BTW, why on earth does S-G Eriksson think Owen Hargreaves is an England quiality midfielder? He is just so average, compared to Ballack

Not a very fair comparison. Ballack is a super player. It's a bit like saying why is Andy Johnson anywhere near the England squad when we have Rooney. Have you actually seen much of Hargreaves? He's a very good, very solid midfielder. His position on the fringes of the England team is pretty much about right. He's still only young too, so you can expect him to improve.

How about Frank Lampard as the most improved midfielder in the game? when he was at West Ham he was easily the least promising of the trio of Cole, Carrick and Lampard, but my word has he progressed. His second goal was absolutely stunning.

As for the penalty, yes Ballack conned the ref. Any player in that position would do the same. Think Michael Owen v Argentina in 2002.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Andreas

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:27 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 37):
His second goal was absolutely stunning.

That much is certain...a real eye-candy!! Especially to all those Munich-haters like myself....and they still have to make their way to Stuttgart in the championship...there's light at the end of the tunnel  Wink Big grin

But say, I read something about the possibility of Munich sueing Chelsea because they did not stick to Mourinho's being forbidden to enter the stadium and/or coach the team...is there a story or just dumb babbling by those frigging Munich boys (of which Mssrs. Hoeness and Rummenigge are well capable of, as we all know!).
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Banco

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:36 pm

cornish

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:45 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 37):
How about Frank Lampard as the most improved midfielder in the game? when he was at West Ham he was easily the least promising of the trio of Cole, Carrick and Lampard, but my word has he progressed. His second goal was absolutely stunning.

Completely agree Banco - as you say, a while back at West Ham, it wasn't him you were thinking of as a big star of the future. Whereas as some of the English players have struggled to really establish themselves at Chelsea, he really has made himself one of their star players.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him winning a player of the year award of some sort, mighty soon.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Andreas

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:45 pm

Thx...knowing those Munich management a§§holes that doesn't sound too promising.

UEFA will do nothing, we all know that the old football institutions are impotent, old-fashioned gangs of old men and sometimes younger ex-professionals (neither of those 2 groups well known for their sharp intellecual minds), who'll believe what Mourinho tells them as long as they can avoid trouble, but again, it's Munich that worries me

btw: That goes beside the fact that Mourinho is about the most fu#@ed-up criminal in professional football I've ever seen since what he did to Mr. Frisk..a good coach, yes, but otherwise  vomit , and therefore very probably did exactly what they believe he did!

planesarecool

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:48 pm

Quoting Ryanb741 (Reply 35):
But I think Bayern now realise that Chelsea are miles better than Arsenal

Slightly biased opinion there. They now realise that if you get in the way of a shot by Chelsea then it's going to hit you and fly into the back of the net by magic.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 32):
Typical luck for Bayern, they tried to get a penalty with a dive (in the overtime) and got it of course!

What are you on about? Typical luck for Chelsea with the first goal. And it was the referee who gave the penalty, not Bayern.

I just hope Bayern give them a good thrashing next week.

ryanb741

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:50 pm

To be honest all he did was criticise Frisk. Rijkaard himself admitted he spoke to Frisk at half time for a 'friendly conversation' - so really UEFA are being a bit out of order in saying it was impossible for Chelsea to have seen Frish and Rijkaard speaking as Rijkaard admitted it anyway! The 2 match ban is a disgrace, and it was good to hear the UEFA anthem booed last night.

Mourinho is an arrogant so and so but many managers criticise the referee anyway, Frisk was just a big baby in letting a couple of idle threats get to him.

Andreas

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:55 pm

Quoting Ryanb741 (Reply 43):
Frisk was just a big baby in letting a couple of idle threats get to him.

Yes actually I'm with you there, I always thought the guy is totally soft (and not at all a good referee in the Merk and Collina League), but then we all remember the story about that Swiss referee during the EC 2004...English yellow press published some personals and asked English fans to react...and they did!! That was probably what Frisk had in mind

ryanb741

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:56 pm

Oh come on Planesarecool, that sounds a bit naieve. When Arsenal were under pressure from Bayern they just fell to pieces. Chelsea regrouped and then went direct, and put Bayern under a lot of physical pressure. As a target man to play direct balls drogba has shown that he is more effective than Thierry Henry - for all Henry's trickery and fantastic skill he did very little in the 2 matches against Bayern whereas Drogba gave the Munich defence a torrid time last night. Ask Bayern who they would rather play next week - Arsenal or Chelsea and they would want to play Arsenal by a mile. The Premiership table doesn't lie - the points table shows Chelsea are approximately 20% better than Arsenal and that's about right

Andreas

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:02 pm

Absolutely...as opposed to what Mssrs. Rummenigge and Hoeness said on German TV (obviously there was another Chelsea-Munich game going on in some parallel universe I couldn't see on free TV), during the whole game I never ever had the feeling Munich might be able to win...except maybe during a few minutes after 1-1, but Chelsea came back immediately.

Next week, there'll probably be all Munich strikers playing, most of all Makaay, but then it's Chelsea's defense that is supposed their most effective part, now isn't it. Still, this isn't over yet!

Banco

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:05 pm

Interestingly, Harry Harris (writing in the Daily Express which is not online so I can't link it, and I'm having to write this from memory of a news item on the radio about it) has an interview with Frisk who says that Rijkaard DID approach him at half-time at the Nou Camp. Frisk says he told Rijkaard that it was inappropriate for him to approach him.

This is interesting, because it would mean Chelsea did in fact tell the truth, and it also makes Frisk's retirement subsequently rather interesting too, as it couldn't be because of Mourinho's pressure.

OD720

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:13 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 47):
Interestingly, Harry Harris (writing in the Daily Express which is not online so I can't link it, and I'm having to write this from memory of a news item on the radio about it) has an interview with Frisk who says that Rijkaard DID approach him at half-time at the Nou Camp. Frisk says he told Rijkaard that it was inappropriate for him to approach him.

Saw that on Sky TV too during their reviews of the Britush papers this morning.

Thom@s

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:25 pm

Two very entertaining matches last night.

6 goals in the Chelsea v Bayern game was beyond all expectations. The late penalty goal by Ballack should make a thrilling re-match at Olympia Stadium.

The AC Milan vs Inter was filled with quality football almost from start to finish. Inter had the preassure in the first half, AC Milan in the 2nd half. Milan vs Chelsea seems imminent, and I wouldn't miss it for the world.  Smile

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"