jdwfloyd

Air America On Death's Door Step.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:51 pm

Wow it seems like Air America the liberals answer to the conservative talk radio juggernaut is down to like 1 FM station and is being reduced to small market AM stations. I guess the American people just don't want to hear what they have to say. Could have told you that a few million wasted dollars ago.

jcs17

RE: Air America On Death's Door Step.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:02 pm

It wasn't too hard to figure out that Air America would go down in flames. When you look at their program lineup, it features more no-names than a morning show in Butte, Montana. Besides, who really would want to listen to a whine fest all day long? What a great idea, you get off after a long day at work, hop in your car and you get to listen to more people whine. I'm sure conserative radio stations are just longing for people of the fine educational background of Janeane Garafalo.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

tbar220

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:16 pm

Have you listened to it? Air America is expanding. It is on both Sirius and XM satellite radio. It has radio stations in 53 major cities nation wide. You call that going down in flames? I call it enough interest to hear these "no-names" that makes it successful. Its better than the crap heard by the Murdoch owned conservative talk shows.

And funny, all the conservative talk shows are pretty much on AM radio as well, so what kind of crap point is that? Look at some of the markets that Air America represents:

West:

Eugene, OR
Los Angeles, CA
Phoenix, AR
Portland, OR
Reno, NV
Riverside, CA
Sacramento, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
San Diego, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Spokane, WA

Central:

Austin, TX
Albuquerque, NM
Ann Arbor, MI
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
Youngstown, OH
Corpus Christi, TX
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI
Madison, WI
Minneapolis, MN
Petoskey, MI
Santa Fe, NM
Davenport, IA

East:

Asheville, NC
Atlanta, GA
Boston, MA
Brattleboro, VT
Chapel Hill, NC
Charleston, SC
Key West, FL
Memphis, TN
Miami, FL
New Haven, CT
New York City
Northampton, MA
Philadelphia, PA
Plattsburgh, NY/Burlington, VT
Portland, ME
Providence, RI
Rochester, NY
Washington D.C.
West Palm Beach, FL

Alaska and Hawaii:

Anchorage, AK
Honolulu, HI
Maui, HI
Kauai, HI

Last time I checked, these are major markets. Burning down in flames? You guys are full of crap.
NO URLS in signature

jdwfloyd

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:26 pm

All of those are AM other Madison. Air America was on FM in some of the largest markets in the US and then were dropped due to lack of interest. Most of the major markets in the US have a FM talker that is slanted to the right. And as for satellite Radio with enough money I could have my own channel. Face it people do not want to hear liberal talk radio.

DC10GUY

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:44 pm

I don't know of any FM hate radio stations here in PHX. There's plenty of hate on AM thou. I sure do enjoy listening to Ed Shultz on Air America here.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

SFOMEX

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:02 pm

Al Franken is a funny guy to listen. He's full of crap, but he makes you smile.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

sccutler

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:04 pm

The station purported to be a "Dallas" station, KXEB 910 AM, is licensed to Sherman, which is about 65 miles north (just shy of Oklahoma). Signal does not really reach here at all.

Air America answers a question never asked. If there were a market for their message (or messengers) in radio, they would not be consigned to bottom-tier outlets.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

tbar220

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:20 pm

Pray tell, why is Al Franken full of crap? You ought to back that up when you say that.
NO URLS in signature

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:12 am

If they are only broadcast in major urban areas aren't they preaching to the choir anyway?

I don't know if it is even broadcast here in SAT, It was on Sirius Sat radio but I have better things to listen to when I am in the car than the uneducated limosine liberals whine about how greedy and uncaring the republicans are.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

skyservice_330

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 5):
Al Franken is a funny guy to listen. He's full of crap, but he makes you smile.

All most as much crap as O'Reily and Coulter...wait... I don't think thats possible.

mdsh00

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 1):
Besides, who really would want to listen to a whine fest all day long? What a great idea, you get off after a long day at work, hop in your car and you get to listen to more people whine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Rush, Hannity, etc. whiners too? It's only "whining" when you don't agree with what host has to say.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

leroidescieux

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:41 am

Has anyone ever heard of the Young Turks on Sirius station Talk Left? I always enjoy their show and Talk Left is so great that I'm switching over from XM to Sirius for this great station.
-Wil
Wil:The King of the Skies... B747: The Eternal Queen of the Skies

NUAir

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:43 am

They just expanded to 4 more markets and Sirus and they haven't made any announcements to stop broadcasting anywhere so why are they on Death's doorstep?? Because they switched over from FM to AM in some markets?

What's your source?

I even heard the other day on Air America that they are looking to get into television with a new cable channel.

If you learn one thing from an aviation related website it should be that no matter how much money you lose you can still stay in business for a very very long time. If Delta and UA aren't on death's door step than who is?

When it comes down to radio and TV and all forms of entertainment if you don't like it don't watch/listen/buy it!

I love how both conservatives and liberals always freak out about the other side and the media. Why not just let people make their own decisions on what they want? I thought that was the whole point of America, freedom, democracy, etc... I hate listening to baseball on the radio and I would never listen to it on the radio just so I can bitch at all the baseball fans about how boring their sport is, instead I listen to something else. I suggest that if you are a conservative and you hate Air America that you might be better off not listening to it.

If you live in an area where the ONLY radio station you get is Air America well then you might have an arguement and a reason to bitch.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

ltbewr

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:04 am

The problem for 'Air America' is probably corporate America won't advetise on their programs. I doubt McD's, WalMart or car companies want to advertise on programs that bash them over diet, labor or enviromental issues respectively.

slider

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:10 am

Great point LTBEWR- the advertising piece of this is just as germane to the viability of the network as the programming.

Sorry Tbar, but being on in 50+ markets is kid's stuff in today's conglomerate-driven radio world. That's not to discount them as "going down in flames" but at the same time, it's not exactly taknig off like a rocket either. And that fact isn't lost on the DNC given the massive PR, pomp and hoopla surrounding its launch.

I don't know if it's a failed business plan, poor on-air talent or what, to be honest.

But I do know that, fundamentally, much of liberalism is emotive and emotionally driven and talk radio is very much an intellectual thinking medium. They may not be as wholly congruous as many would lead you to believe.

N1120A

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 1):
When you look at their program lineup, it features more no-names than a morning show in Butte, Montana.

Hmm, really? Al Franken is much more famous than any of the hate spewers on right wing radio were before they basically became shock jocks to get listeners

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 1):
Besides, who really would want to listen to a whine fest all day long?

You are right. I cannot bear to listen to Elder, Hannity, Savage, O'Reily, Limbaugh, etc.

Quoting Jdwfloyd (Reply 3):
All of those are AM other Madison. Air America was on FM in some of the largest markets in the US and then were dropped due to lack of interest. Most of the major markets in the US have a FM talker that is slanted to the right.

Most right wing radio is on an AM format as well. If anything, FM talk tends to be less political, and more about shock jocks, interpersonal issues and the like. BTW, the two biggest people in FM talk, Howard Stern (going to Sirius) and Tom Leykis are both left wing (even though they don't have political formats

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 13):
The problem for 'Air America' is probably corporate America won't advetise on their programs. I doubt McD's, WalMart or car companies want to advertise on programs that bash them over diet, labor or enviromental issues respectively.

Nor will they accept advertising from places that abuse people or the environment

Quoting Slider (Reply 14):
in today's conglomerate-driven radio world.

Which should still be illegal.

Quoting Slider (Reply 14):
much of liberalism is emotive and emotionally driven and talk radio is very much an intellectual thinking medium.

Last I checked, the intellectual portion of the US population tended to be much more left wing than right. BTW, careful how you use that word liberal, as the current right wing in this country are the picture of liberalism.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

slider

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:30 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
Which should still be illegal.

Why should it be illegal? Radio may be oligopolistic, but so is the airline biz. It's not a monopoly, and except for the licensing, there is no barrier to entry. I despise radio for the most part today, but I don't think it should be illegal. I may personally think that the Clear Channel monolith is ruining pop music via its influence, but they have every right to do it.

Last I checked, the intellectual portion of the US population tended to be much more left wing than right.

Well then, liberal talk radio ought to be HUGE. We'll see. I find it hilarious that liberals consider themselves more intellectual and then refuse to engage in most intellectual discussions of fact.

BTW, careful how you use that word liberal, as the current right wing in this country are the picture of liberalism.

No question- the Republicans are aboslutely liberal right now; the distinction between the parties disappears every day and the shades of gray get more blurred. I denounce all of them.

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 16):
I find it hilarious that liberals consider themselves more intellectual and then refuse to engage in most intellectual discussions of fact.

I also find it funny how they call "politically aware" seeing things their way. I am politically aware, I just see things differently.. Sorry, pet peeve of mine from talking to flaming left wing girls around school.

dl021

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:44 am

Howard Stern (going to Sirius) and Tom Leykis are both left wing

Howard is more of a Libertarian than anything else. He was a Bush supporter (more or less) until the FCC cracked down on him.

I find it hilarious that liberals consider themselves more intellectual and then refuse to engage in most intellectual discussions of fact.

The average liberal, in my experience, is much more interested in lecturing rather than an interchange of ideas, and turns to namecalling and dismissal when other ideas are presented for discussion and argument. Too many people of both colors tend to do this, but it seems to be a rare thing to get a liberal to admit that the truth may lie closer to the center than he or she wishes it did.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

srbmod

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:19 am

If Air America is going down in flames, why are some of the stations that are affliates working on strengthening their signal so they can add areas they reach?

FM Talk radio doesn't work anyway. FM stations are too valuable to waste having a talk format on them. The ratings for FM talk hurt the value of ad time on those stations, which is what makes or breaks a format at a station.

The rumors of Air America's demise were last summer, since then, they have begun to stabilize.

GuitrThree

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:41 am

What? No talk of Jerry Springer?? AirHeadAmerica Radio fires the morning crew of an unknown rapper, and two lesbian chicks who all were horrible. So bad, they didn't survive one year.

Then they bring in Jerry Springer. Springer, now has the morning "drive time" slot on the "premiere" liberal network.

Does not anyone notice that they bring on someone who's popularity grew by running a show that did nothing but advance the theory that America has more than its share of backwoods intra-bred idiots? His show was nothing more than gay's, lesbians, fighting cheating couples, and teenagers who disobeyed everyone.. on top of that there was a requirement to fight, and act like 5 year olds. Now, this guy is bringing this Liberal message to the country every day on the radio!! Again, maybe this is the audience that Liberals really are, so that makes sense. Maybe backwoods intra-bred idiots are the only people who listen to AAR, and thus, Springer will be a ratings hit!  biggrin 

Again, does NO one wonder why the Democrats keep losing elections when people like Springer are being put on a pedestal? Anyone??
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

diamond

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 8):
If they are only broadcast in major urban areas aren't they preaching to the choir anyway?

Ooooh, a little backhanded racism there, Capt?
Blank.

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:53 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 21):
a little backhanded racism there, Capt?

Not really, look at a map of who voted how.. Most liberals are in urban areas. Broadcasting their message in urban areas isn't really getting the left wing message to people who may not have it. Granted, the people in the cities may be the only ones who care.

Just because I have a different political view than you doesn't make me racist, or even wrong. It also doesn't make me right, just different.

RayChuang

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:40 am

Alas, I have to say that Air America won't last for more than 18 months from now.

The reason is simple: with conservative talk radio built up such a huge lead that it will be very difficult for liberal talk radio to compete against. This is especially true on a national scale, what with hosts like Rush Limbaugh commanding 21 million listeners per week and Sean Hannity commanding 15 million listeners per week. Also, it doesn't help that Air America is nothing more than what I call fashional Bush bashing.

You wonder will Air America ever get back the original investment on the project.

Usairwys757

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:27 am

Jcs has to be the biggest hypocrite I believe I've ever seen.  Yeah sure
Inactive.....

allstarflyer

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:53 pm

Last I checked, the intellectual portion of the US population tended to be much more left wing than right.

Have a source?

Quoting DL021 (Reply 18):
The average liberal, in my experience, is much more interested in lecturing rather than an interchange of ideas, and turns to namecalling and dismissal when other ideas are presented for discussion and argument

Very true. Match a well-informed liberal host against a well-informed conservative host in a live public forum and the liberal will often find him/herself in a corner on the issues, taking potshots, ignoring facts and accusing conservatives of twisting issues. Some conservatives do twist issues, but guys like Elder usually shoot straight. Facts, truth and stats - the stuff of which conservative messages are usually made. I'm going to love hearing some bleeding heart rip on me for that, because I'll enjoy laughing at their inability to break it down.

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 24):
Jcs has to be the biggest hypocrite I believe I've ever seen.

From your comment there, I don't see how you identify hypocrisy on the part of Jcs. If he is one, let's hear you break down how.

-R
Living the American Dream

allstarflyer

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:02 am

That was harsh. But I'm confident in the messages and the content that guys like Elder present. Sometimes, I just get sick of liberal rhetoric because the mainstream media would have it be accepted as an "elite" point of view or because it's en vogue. But I will elaborate further by saying that some conservative guys get on my nerves, too, like Hannity and Coulter, and sometimes when I'm not careful, it's easy to be like them. If those who differ would overlook the flaming remarks, I do enjoy the back and forth exchange of ideas.

-R
Living the American Dream

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:36 am

I don't know of any FM hate radio stations here in PHX. There's plenty of hate on AM thou.

What constitutes "hate radio," exactly? People who have ideas you disagree with?  sarcastic 
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Usairwys757

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 1):
It wasn't too hard to figure out that Air America would go down in flames. When you look at their program lineup, it features more no-names than a morning show in Butte, Montana. Besides, who really would want to listen to a whine fest all day long? What a great idea, you get off after a long day at work, hop in your car and you get to listen to more people whine. I'm sure conserative radio stations are just longing for people of the fine educational background of Janeane Garafalo.

AllstarFlyer, hopefully thats all you need to see. I could turn around and say the same damn thing about Republican radio. It goes hand in damn hand.

If you fail to see that, then I feel truly sorry for you.
Inactive.....

N1120A

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:39 am

Why should it be illegal? Radio may be oligopolistic, but so is the airline biz. It's not a monopoly, and except for the licensing, there is no barrier to entry. I despise radio for the most part today, but I don't think it should be illegal. I may personally think that the Clear Channel monolith is ruining pop music via its influence, but they have every right to do it.

Except that the reason for the original FCC regulations on radio station ownership is two fold. The public airwaves are actually owned by the American people and we license people to use them. By licensing them, we are entrusting them with our freedoms of speech and press. By allowing control of the majority of the airwaves by 2 companies (CC and Infinity), we are limiting what actual free speech there is. Under the old rules, smaller groups had much more of a chance at allowing their speech to be heard. Now radio has become too expensive to enter into for smaller groups.

Well then, liberal talk radio ought to be HUGE.

When not spewing inflamatory hate, it is harder to get people to listen.

We'll see. I find it hilarious that liberals consider themselves more intellectual and then refuse to engage in most intellectual discussions of fact.

Um, you mean try to engage in discussions of fact then get caught in wars of spin?

Quoting DL021 (Reply 18):
He was a Bush supporter (more or less) until the FCC cracked down on him.

No, he wasn't. He did not support the invasion of Iraq, and he is opposite the GOP on almost every social issue.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 20):
Then they bring in Jerry Springer. Springer, now has the morning "drive time" slot on the "premiere" liberal network.

Do you know anything about Jerry Springer? Apparently not

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 25):

Have a source?

Go to a university, talk to those people in our society with the most education and who have observed all sides of the argument the most, and you will see that it is obvious.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CaptOveur

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):

Yeah quite a bit, He used to be mayor of a town near where I grew up until he wrote a check to a hooker, needless to say he was a Democrat. What finer points do you need to know? Then he had to start a show where inbred genetic mutants throw chairs at each other because their husband turned gay and started banging his own brother. I believe he is married to his producer, that is part of how the show got started. He was going to make a run at the House of Reps from Ohio but that sorta died out for unknown reasons, maybe lack of credibility?

GuitrThree

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:48 am

Yes I do, but it doesn't matter! Why? 90% of America don't know Springer was ever involved in politics. What they do know him by is his ridiculous circus show. This is what he is remembered by, and any kind of respect for his knowledge is now tarnished as people see him as nothing more than an entertainer that puts people on the show by paying them $500 to expose how dumb they are. How many times have you heard "why do these people go on this show and show America how stupid they are?" In essence, Springer took advantage of these people and now he is a major messenger for the "Premiere" Liberal Network and we are supposed to think he is serious after what he has done?????

ContnlEliteCMH

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:56 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 23):
Also, it doesn't help that Air America is nothing more than what I call fashional Bush bashing.

True dat. I'm a talk radio junky, so I've tuned it in to sample it's wares, and I have not been impressed.

Radio is a very difficult medium. You only have the words and voice coming from the speaker to command your attention. A lot of people do talk radio, but very few of them do it well.

Glenn Beck
Rush Limbaugh
Sean Hannity

I submit the reason these guys have huge audiences has at *least* as much to do with how they conduct the show and their talents on-air as it is with the conservative message. The libs I've heard so far on Air America fail primarily on the first count. It's not good radio, regardless of idealogy. (In Atlanta, Glenn Beck got pulled for The Regular Guys. I love Glenn, but I have stopped listening to GST in the mornings, because The Regular Guys are bad radio.)

The thing that strikes me about Air America is how much of it is about Bush, the Republicans, and conservatives. Rather than being issue-oriented, it's personal attack. And there's a *lot* of conspiracy theory or near-conspiracy theory, which in my mind is the hallmark of the intellectually lazy. Parody can be great radio, but repetitive anything isn't, whether it's issues or attack. The great ones know how to keep it moving; the bad ones don't.

I think Rush is right: the libs keep thinking that their problems are that they aren't getting their message out. Their problem is quite different. Their message gets out loud and clear but the message and the message issuer change constantly. Oddly, when Howard Dean was leading the Democratic nomination, I didn't think he was electable, but I thought it would be a fun race. Why? Because he doesn't put on a face for whatever crowd he's talking to. He's a liberal, and he makes no pretense otherwise. That's respectable even if I don't agree with him.

Air America is not the cure for the libs' problems; it's a symptom.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

CaptOveur

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:57 am

Go to a university, talk to those people in our society with the most education and who have observed all sides of the argument the most, and you will see that it is obvious.

That isn't a reasonable sampling of the population. If you talk to professors 90% of the people you are talking to have never had a real job in their lives. If you talk to students.. more than half have never had a real job in their lives and quite a few never will, so of course they are liberals, they get everything they want handed to them. Professors have a job they cannot lose, even if they tried, excellent pay and even better benefits, and they think everyone should get the luxuries they have been handed. The students protest anything, because they think they are smarter than the world, when they are just demonstrating their own ignorance.

Just because someone is educated does not mean they are smart.

The best way to trip up a Democrat is ask them how much they are willing to pay so everyone can have X benefit. Locks up my girlfriend and her Mother every single time.. They want teachers to be paid more. I ask if it is ok if we double their property taxes. They want free health care for all. I ask if it is ok if we take 15% more out of their paychecks..

All those handouts get a lot more real when you start making it sound like their money that is paying for it.

ContnlEliteCMH

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:08 am

Academia in the US is *clearly* left. As for education, well, there are many forms of that. And examing all sides of the argument? Ha! What you ought to say is, "Go find the people who have the most book learning, the most diplomas, who work in little self-supporting homogenous enclaves free from competition judged either by productivity or by people with whom they disagree, and find lots of liberals." If you think a university is the place where all sides of any issue are examined, then you haven't been out to market. Academia is the most carefully controlled, stifling environment for free speech and thought you can find -- if you disagree with the majority.

You don't have to be in academia to know this is how American academia operates. You only have to attend school. Personally, I hold an engineering diploma from one of America's largest public universities, so it's not like I'm filling French fry boxes and commenting upon experiences never had.

Academia (most of whose work I respect, if not their politics) illustrates a basic tenet of the human condition: knowledge does not equal wisdom. But liberals think it does. They say, "If you knew what I know, you'd agree with me. If you saw what I see, you'd agree with me." I guess that's a big difference between me and liberals: I'm happy to disagree with you without claiming there's something wrong with you, your brain, or your soul.

That's essentially why I don't think Air America will succeed. It keeps telling people with whom it disagrees that they are evil, and that something is wrong with them.

[Edited 2005-04-07 23:09:46]
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

LH423

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:16 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 5):
Al Franken is a funny guy to listen. He's full of crap, but he makes you smile

That's exactly how I feel about Bill O'Reilly. And he's not just full of crap, he's full of himself as well.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 25):
Very true. Match a well-informed liberal host against a well-informed conservative host in a live public forum and the liberal will often find him/herself in a corner on the issues, taking potshots, ignoring facts and accusing conservatives of twisting issues.

You've just described Sean Hannity to a tee! And he is no liberal.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

slider

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:27 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 32):
I think Rush is right: the libs keep thinking that their problems are that they aren't getting their message out. Their problem is quite different. Their message gets out loud and clear but the message and the message issuer change constantly.

I've heard this bit and think it has merit, but you also have to remember that the liberals have had academia, the vast majority of the traditional media (newspapers, alphabet news broadcasts), Hollywood and have dominated the soundbite culture to a far better degree than the conservatives--until talk radio exploded in popularity. Now with the internet, web bloggers, etc, the paradigm of media control has shifted....

I would say the liberals message HAS gotten out and far too well, hence the state of the American condition and size of the Federal government, the state of our schools, etc. The so-called conservatives have only been too complicit in this; they talk a great game but their records say something altogether different.

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 34):
Academia (most of whose work I respect, if not their politics) illustrates a basic tenet of the human condition: knowledge does not equal wisdom.

Very good point; and it does speak to a fundamental difference between conservatives VS liberals (caveat: I've long denounced both parties and the oligarchy as the lines have blurred in reality).

Along those same lines is something that is very much an integral part of my own political--and spiritual--philosophy: the value of the individual. A classic liberal (ie: conservative) will empower the individual to act and do as they choose. The modern liberal as epitomized by the radical Democrat kooks claim to be for "the little guy" and speak in platitudes about the importance of the individual, yet are beholden to special interests and seem to relish in labeling people, whether they are African-Americans, union members, women, etc, etc. If they--or any party for that matter--truly valued the individual, it would be reflected in government.

Sadly, we've allowed ourselves to be pegged into groups of voting blocks and various constituencies. And so we're adding to the emasculation of the power of the individual upon which our Republic was founded.

Either way, talk radio is a heck of a medium that reaches millions and unlike the staid broadcast media is INTERACTIVE. I think that's a big draw.

LH423

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:04 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 36):
I would say the liberals message HAS gotten out and far too well, hence the state of the American condition and size of the Federal government, the state of our schools, etc

Not to politicize this, but I think to put the blame for what you listed would be far too simplistic. Mind you that it was George Bush who presided over the largest expansion of the federal government since FDR and we're not even at war. Well, at least not in the same way as we were in the 1940s. And schools have been in shambles for years. Maybe instead of trillion dollar wars, we could focus on domestic issues like schools.

If you want to blame liberals for things, at least blame them for the right things. Higher taxes yet still getting nothing from the federal gov't in return or why Bill Clinton can get a hummer at work, but if you do it it's sexual harassment.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Boeing7E7

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:29 pm

I listened to the bitch and whine fest that is "Air America" the day after the election. That was enough for a lifetime. Even though Rush is a blow hard, he's not a f'ing cry baby.

No shit. I guess if one repeats a lie enough times, people start to believe it.

[Edited 2005-04-08 07:33:23]

slider

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:28 pm

LH- Agreed, I didn't want to get too wordy.  Smile

There's enough blame to go around, that's for damn sure.

I consider myself a Constitutional conservative, former Republican, and I sure as hell won't carry the water for Bush given the deficit spending, failure to protect our borders, and refuses to adhere to the Constitution.

hence, my statement of there really being no difference between Demo and Repub parties.

GuitrThree

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:10 am

This is a quote just taken off of AAR website at 3:00 Central time 4/8/05

"Today on Air America Radio
The Randi Rhodes Show
Get ready to bounce your boobies! It's Friday ya' bastards!"

Any wonder why this network is so bad??? Any wonder it's hosts are all considered jokes? What, is it Springer all day there now????  tombstone