Udo
Topic Author

Questions About New York Subway And Bus Lines

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:45 pm

I'll spend some days at NYC soon and I'm still trying to get some info on subways and busses.

- Do private bus lines accept the MetroCard (specifically Green Bus Lines)?
- How's safety in the subway in the evening and on weekends (specifically between Jamaica and Manhattan)?

Thanks
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

prosa

RE: Questions About New York Subway And Bus Lines

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:11 pm

Quoting Udo (Thread starter):
I'll spend some days at NYC soon and I'm still trying to get some info on subways and busses.

- Do private bus lines accept the MetroCard (specifically Green Bus Lines)?
- How's safety in the subway in the evening and on weekends (specifically between Jamaica and Manhattan)?

1. Yes. The private lines are now under MTA control anyhow.
2. There should be no problems at all.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

alberchico

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:35 pm

How's safety in the subway in the evening and on weekends (specifically between Jamaica and Manhattan)?

You might wanna take a cab rather than risk such a dangerous journey, and i MEAN THAT WITH ALL SERIOUSNESS!
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

flymia

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Safety in the Subways is fine from when I used it. There should be no problems as long as you stay in Manhattan except for Harlem I guess.
I never had a problem on the subway even in Queens an non tourist area.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Udo
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:56 pm

Thanks for your help!

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 2):
You might wanna take a cab rather than risk such a dangerous journey, and i MEAN THAT WITH ALL SERIOUSNESS!

Why is it so dangerous between Jamaica and Manhattan?

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

prosa

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:19 pm

Sheer nonsense  sigh 
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

ltbewr

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:51 pm

If you plan to use NY City Transit several times in a day, get the 'fun pass', a one day pass for the entire system at $7.00. If one uses common sense on the platforms and on the trains, there should be little risk. At late nights, some enterances/exits to the subway are closed and service is less frequent. At off-peak times there are sections of the subway platfoms designated where there are some enhansed security. Unlike almost all other transit systems, NYC's runs 24/7/365. Here is a link to the NYC and related transportaion systems:
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/

nycflyer

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 4):
Why is it so dangerous between Jamaica and Manhattan?

Udo - it's not the greatest area b/w Manhattan and Jamaica, but it's not bad either. I had a 1am flight at JFK a month ago, I took the subway out there around 10:30-11pm, it was totally fine.

If you are a bit concerned for safety, you can take Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station - they've got a train every 3-5 minutes heading to Jamaica, though probably a bit slower at night. Will cost you $5 or so, instead of $2, no big deal, especially for you Euro-rich Europeans.

Mir

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:18 am

If you're worried about safety, wait at the middle of the platform, and when the train arrives, look for the conductor to stick his head out. Get in the same car as him/her.

It can be hard to find, but the conductor always stops right next to a white horizontal board with black diagonal stripes. If you're taking the E train, and you get one of the "less-old" trains (they have the colored circle with the route letter in the front as opposed to just a letter), there should be blue lights on the two middle cars - the conductor is in the more rearward of those two. If you get one of the really old trains, then there are no lights, but the conductor will alternate between the fifth and sixth cars, depending on which side the platforms are.

You can also get in the first car right by the driver.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

British767

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:32 am

I had no problems when I was there, but I can see what people mean when they say be careful. But if you don't attract attention to yourself, and don't stare at others, you should be fine.

TWFirst

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:31 am

Bullcrap.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Mir

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:33 am

This is indeed ridiculous, the subway is perfectly safe at all hours of the day if one uses a bit of common sense.

Though if you are coming from the airport going to have lots of luggage, it may in fact be worth it to take a cab from the airport simply for the convenience factor. The subway is not very wheelchair-accessible, which means that it isn't very friendly to large suitcases either. I've done it to and from JFK and EWR, but was pretty well exhausted afterwards from all the lugging up and down stairs.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

alberchico

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:58 am

You must be on high alert and use common sense whenever you take the train, nomatter what neighborhood.

that was a sarcastic comment people please lighten up  Yeah sure
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !