So if you
- fantasize about R34's, Evo's and STi's
- know the other definition of LSD
- look for the racing line when going to the grocery store
- think "chipping" has nothing to do with wood
- are quicker when the roads are slippery

Post here !

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

KDTWflyer

RE: The Official A.net Car Enthusiast Thread

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:22 pm

Was just admiring the square values for the Dodge Viper... 500hp AND 500 ft. lbs. of torque... What a beast!

http://www.dodge.com/gallery/img/viper/enlarge_8.jpg
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:51 pm

Yep, I fit all bar the first category. I'm an Italian Car fanatic in particular.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

cornish

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:22 pm

Ok UTA. Get the impression you like French and Italian cars - Which do you prefer?

Citroen v Renault v Peugeot
Alfa v Lancia v Fiat
Ferrari v Maserati v Lambo

Citroen, Alfa and Maserati for me (I'm thinking past cars here, nit just new ones).
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:52 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 3):
Which do you prefer?

Citroen all the way.
Renault's styling has been ludicrous lately.
Peugeot has nice vehicles but doesn't have that je ne sais quoi of Citroen cars.

Alfa v Lancia v Fiat
Alfa, Alfa, Alfa !
I owned two 33's and one 155 and the past and would gladly go back to the marque.
Lancia produced great cars in the past (Delta HF INtegrale, Thema 8.32 to name a couple) but sadly are almost extinct now as their current lineup is farce.
What I think of Fiap is   

Definitely Maserati. Their latest Quattroporte is a work of art and their GT is awesome.
Lamborghini's are great but are they still Italian ?
Ferraris are overpriced and overhyped IMHO.

UTA   

[Edited 2005-04-08 11:11:38]
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

cornish

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:00 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 4):
Alfa, Alfa, Alfa !
I owned two 33's and one 155 and the past and would gladly go back to the marque.

My boss who is a car nut (he even has an original mini Moke) drives one of the pre-facelift Alfa 164s. Still looks fantastic in red and stands out against a lot of other supposedly newer and nicer cars in our car park.

Definitely Maserati. Their latest Quattroporte is a work of art and their GT is awesome.

I have to drive past the Maranello garage at Egham on the way to and from work. Full of extremely flash Ferraris (including the odd Enzo and the likes) but it is the Quattroportes that catch my eye every time. As you say - Truely beautiful.

As for Lancia - they need to build that pretty Fulvia concept - fast.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

gkirk

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:04 pm

You just cannot beat the Ford Mondeo  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:12 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 6):
You just cannot beat the Ford Mondeo

Especially the SW version as it can contain at least two sheep.

UTA  checkeredflag 

gkirk

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 7):
Especially the SW version as it can contain at least two sheep.

Thon sheeps jokes are older than your mother now!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:24 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 8):

Yet still so true  Wink

UTA  checkeredflag 

Kay

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:09 pm

I am all of that list except item number 1, don't fancy too much souped up sedans, I much prefer genuine sports cars. However, for the last 6 years, and about to change soon, this has subtituted nicely:

One day I'll be the proud owner of either this (ok guys, same picture):

Or, if the above is too hard to find in a good condition, than this:

http://www.pictures-of-cars.com/PCGB2003/image/img_000095.jpg

And I can't wait
Kay

PS: I kinow that geocities didn't allow linking out pictures, but the post confirmation did show the picture (first one) this time. If the real thing is different then sorry.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:20 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 10):
One day I'll be the proud owner of either this (ok guys, same picture):

Or, if the above is too hard to find in a good condition, than this:

Kay, no disrespect an no dissing you or anything, but have you already driven a 911 ?

I drove a 93 Carrera 2 (964) and a 96 Carrera 2 (993) and was unimpressed at the handling compared to an NSX or a 512TR.

Strong points are the brakes though, no fading after repeated laps of Magione -pretty good for a road car.

UTA  checkeredflag 

Kay

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:37 pm

The 512TR....... Last week I was in the Uban looking down on Gurtel Street in Vienna and had this red 512TR in my sight for some 2 or 3 minutes, I was reminded how much of an eye candy it is, this car was really the top of the curve for the Testarossa, it was also a very fundamental change in handling and engine, not just body changes. And it looks so much better than the F512M!!!!!! mm wait, there:

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 11):
Kay, no disrespect an no dissing you or anything, but have you already driven a 911 ?

Once in a Monterey autocross, I sat next to a friend in his 993 for a few laps, and was very disappointed, but that's because I had just done a few laps in a Nissan 300ZX 415bhp. There is no comparison in sound and performance, and that is why the 993 seemed a bit shallow. However, I had driven a 1983 911 SC, maybe it's too old, but it was definitely a lot of fun to drive. The handling will always seem a bit difficult in a 911 at first. Maybe one shouldn't venture too much if not confident, however, the car's palmarès speaks for itself, meaning it is an excellent car if the driver/car combination is right. But I haven't driven other 911's. But it can't be that bad!

Kay

[Edited 2005-04-08 12:39:59]

L410Turbolet

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:44 pm

I'd love to own one of these:

http://www.hf-integrale.co.uk/images/lhfmarcus.jpg

LANCIA DELTA HF INTEGRALE

btw, does anyone remeber predecessor of the HF Integrale? Delta S4 - the raw beast from the golden days of Rallye (1986):

checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag   checkeredflag 

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:45 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 12):
But it can't be that bad!

I never said it was bad, it's just that I would envision other choices if I had that sort of disposable income.

UTA  checkeredflag 

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:58 pm

Burn in Hell O evil spawn of Satan!!  Wink I can't undertand why you do not say the same for Lamborghini, BMW or any other big name marque which all suffer from media overhype - even though they are the best sports cars . The only thing I don't like about Ferrari are the reporters that insist that every day usability and cheap parts are important when choosing a supercar/exotic so award it by default to the just as overrated porsches. I mean for goodness sake, if you can afford to buy a Ferrari you can afford to pay fuel,maintenance,insurance & parts too. If they can't, then they should just stick with Toyotas and Hondas as all of it makes it part of owning any supercar.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Kay

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:58 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 14):
I never said it was bad, it's just that I would envision other choices if I had that sort of disposable income.

They are expensive indeed. Now one could pay his a$$ off for a 911, but what scares me is the maintenance. Anytime someone is driving a 911 (say from the 90's and on), it means he is paying 5000 Euros a year on maintenance and fixing only. Maybe even more?...

That is why I seriously wonder when will it ever make sense. As a second choice, maybe BMW still comes next, just because I like reliable rear wheel drive "sportscars" (more or less). There are exceptions. I won't lie to you, I am actually looking closely at the new 200bhp Golf GTI because my first car was a Golf GTI...

Would like to hear your opinion.

Kay

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:03 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 16):
I won't lie to you, I am actually looking closely at the new 200bhp Golf GTI because my first car was a Golf GTI...

I tes-drove iit, it indeed restores much of the original GTI's character but is too overweight/overpriced IMHO.

If you're looking at bang-for-the-buck you should consider the Renault Megane RS, 225 HP of turbochaged power (meaning that you can fit a mean chip to it). That again is FWD though.

If I were you I would look at a clean pre-owned S4 or S3, especially for Austria which has a harsh winter climate.

UTA  checkeredflag 

Kay

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:10 pm

L410Turbolet,

That Lancia came right after the Lancia Rallye 037. It actually was a great success but they lost the title that year to Jean Todt's Peugeot 205, most probably because the death of Henri Toivonen in Tour de Corse in a Delta S4 gave a huge blow to the team.

The Lancia Rallye is very beautiful.

By the way, there is a significant difference between the first pic you posted (red delta hf) and the second (two white ones). I remember clearly that the one with front lights of different sizes was a bit older (type 3??), whereas the ones with front lights of equal size were significantly "hotter", type 4 or 5 or smthg, don't remember the details though.
Kay

L410Turbolet

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:52 pm

Kay,
I was only 10 in 1986 and, as you can imagine, the coverage of motorsports was back then limited to one weekly and one biweekly car-related magazine and once in a while some spots in TV so my knowledge is only sligthly more than superficial.
But I remeber that the mid-80s was the era of Austin Metros, 205s, Lancia Deltas and Ford RS200s. The last one I belive had a series of quite a few nasty accidents when the car just flew into fans and killed a number of them. If I'm correct FIA introduced some restrictions on these cars because they were just overpowered unleashed hell. And that's when the HF came into scene.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 19):
If I'm correct FIA introduced some restrictions on these cars because they were just overpowered unleashed hell

You're obviously referring to the overpowered Group B vehicles.

UTA  checkeredflag 

sebolino

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:08 pm

Citroen all the way.
Renault's styling has been ludicrous lately.
Peugeot has nice vehicles but doesn't have that je ne sais quoi of Citroen cars.

This one has a bit of "je ne sais quoi" in addition of the 500 hp  Smile :

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting Sebolino (Reply 21):
This one has a bit of "je ne sais quoi" in addition of the 500 hp :

LOL !

I was referring to standard production cars, no concept vehicles Big grin

UTA  checkeredflag 

ACDC8

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:12 am

I had a 1988 Peugeot 309 GTI for a couple of years when I lived in Germany. WOW!!!  bouncy  What a ride! That car was unbelievable! I don't remember how many ponies it had (only 135hp, but I could be mistaken), regardless it was one fierce ride on the Autobahn. And cornering, the faster you went around the corners, the more it wanted, it rode like it was on rails.

Sadly I had to get rid of it because the TUV expired and to get it back up to speed was just too much money for me at the time.

This is my ride now in Canada...

4.6L V8, 260hp, rear wheel drive, 0-100km/h in 5.6 seconds and a sound that makes you wet your pants. Only problem with it is that it has your typical US style suspension (read...useless) and the build quality is what one would expect from a US car manufacturer.  Sad None the less I love to drive it, especially with the traction contol off.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Superfly

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:38 am

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1975/Brochure/Page13.jpg

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1975/Brochure/Page03.jpg

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1975/Brochure/Page08-09.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

ScottishLaddie

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:16 am

You haven't lived until you have atleast heard the noise the NSX makes!  hyper 

Or until you have felt the speed of this machine:

http://www.fantasycars.com/gallery/Cars/Mitsubishi/2003%20Lancer%20Evo%20VIII%20FQ330/mit_fq330.jpg

Nice seats too.  Wink

Kay

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:21 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 19):
Kay,
I was only 10 in 1986

I was 11  Smile But we had quite a few shows, most notably the French show "Auto Moto". I used to read magazines too... ahh that age...

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 23):
had a 1988 Peugeot 309 GTI for a couple of years when I lived in Germany. WOW!!! What a ride! That car was unbelievable! I don't remember how many ponies

That car followed was after the success of the deadliest (attempted) blow on the VW Golf GTI: the 205 GTI. What an amazing car it was, and especially the 1.9. Later on, the 405 replaced the 309, but Peugeot couldn't manage the reliability of this car: the 405 Mi16 would break down too often (including a break down of a friend of mine's car) and reports that mentioned Mi16's all of a sudden burning down from bumper to bumper in 15 minutes.

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 17):
If I were you I would look at a clean pre-owned S4 or S3, especially for Austria which has a harsh winter climate.

You mean something like this:
http://www.dropcontrol.com/~kariya/images/DSC_0767.JPG

Actually, surprisingly, Vienna's infrastructure is maintained impressively well and roads or sideroads are rarely blocked..

Kay

erikwilliam

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:32 am

I drive a Citroen Xsara VTS, wich is the sport version of the Xsara, and can tell U, it´s an amazing car for what it costs, I even installed a chip that gave the car some 50 BHP, now it has 190BHP and is very fast, with airbags, sound controls on the steering, sun roof( wich is completely useless but I love it)

from cars that we( the average citizen) can afford, I would BMW cars are just the top, specially 3 series, my dad has a 330motorsport and it´s just fantastic car.

But the car that I love the most, and have driven a few time is the BMW M5e39, just, simply, completely, outrageos, nonsensegly, stupendous amazing.

Love that car, too fast, too strong, too powerfull, too confortable......

AHhhhhhhhh, I want one, mom, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  hissyfit 
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

PHLBOS

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:31 am

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/1233-4.jpg

http://www.brandonclassics.com/www/images/1964_ford_galaxie/1964-Ford-Galaxie-500-XL.jpg

http://www.acarshow.com/u85mercu.jpg

http://www.firsttraderegistry.com/forsale/80up/b-c/95buick2/1995%20Buick%20Roadmaster%20Rippert%20008.jpg

I could go on and on.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

jutes85

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:17 am

I thought this was a perfect place to ask this question:

I'm currently in the process of hunting for a car. I've narrowed my selection down to a 02-03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-v. Its a nice little four-banger that seems reliable, fuel effiecent if driven properly, and fun.

Also, modding it would be fun, starting with a CAI and short shifter.

Any comments?
nothing

tristarenvy

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:27 am

That sound you hear is 'Fly drooling.....hell, me, too!!!!
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

baw2198

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:59 am

Mine might be old, but nothing beats a Z

[Edited 2005-04-12 00:20:05]
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

aerobalance

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting BAW2198 (Reply 31):
Mine might be old, but nothing beats a Z

With no anti-dive or anti-squat geometry built in those things are a handful... no thanks.... give me a car that does not change pitch attitude when braking or accelerating. The inline - 6 cyl. engine is sweet though.

I like my current '05 325i, however the '06 550i would be nice....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

MD-90

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:45 am

I always thought that this one was a stunner, a NSX convertible (yes, I know they never made one, but the pic sure looks nice).

Springbok747

Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:01 am

I'm happy with what I drive:

But I'd love to own one of these..hmm..maybe someday when I win the lotto.

אני תומך בישראל

Delta767300ER

Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:25 am

I'm a muscle car man myself however I like a variety of cars.

Here are a few of my favorite newer American cars:

-Chevrolet Corvette C6
-Chevrolet Corvette C5/Z06
-1998+ Chevrolet Camaro Z28/SS
-1996+ Mustang Cobra
-2001+ Mustang GT
-Dodge Viper any year
-Any Saleen product

Favorite Japanese cars:

-Nissan Skyline
-Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
-Mazda RX-7
-Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
-Honda S2000
-Subur WRX
-Nissan 350Z
-Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe
-Toyota Supra
Favorite German cars:

-BMW M3
-BMW Z4
-BMW M Roadster
-Porsche 911 Turbo

Favorite British cars:

-Aston Martin DB7
-Aston Martin Vanquish
-Jaguar XJ220
-Jaguar XKR

Cars I despise of:

-Anything Saturn
-Mitsubishi Eclipse (This is a 10 minute car)
-Dodge Neon SRT-4
-Toyota Corolla

I will post some more crap later.

-Delta767300ER

VonRichtofen

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:48 pm

ACDC8 Nice stang!! 

Where's ANCFlyer's BAFDT when you need it? LOL

Kris

[Edited 2005-04-12 05:48:38]

Airlinerfreak

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:26 pm

Alfa v Lancia v Fiat

I know the question was not directed at me but I would like to answer it. I would first choose the Alfa Romeo because that is just a true classic no matter which way you put it. Also in the other catergory I would definitely choose Ferrari and here is why. Maserati's lease program is atrocious, I know if you are going to get that car you should buy it but still, on their new 4 door Quattroporte, you aren't getting away with at least $25k down and 2500 a month for a car that will get no higher than $150. With a residual as low as it is, you can not have a maserati. Now this was the tough question, Lamborghini or Ferrari, well I picked Ferrari because at the end of the day this is what everybody's dream is as well as mine. The Lamborghini is a good car, such as the Lamborghini Murcialago Barchette (convertible), but the new F430 Spyder is way cooler. It also has Ferrari on it. So that is why I would chose Ferrari over the rest.

aerorobnz

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:51 pm

My top cars are all Italian...
F360CS
F430M
Quattroporte
F275GTB
F550M

other less expensive cars that rate a mention
Renault Clio 182 Cup
Smart Roadster
Skoda Fabia RS

TheRedBaron

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:43 pm

I am fortunate to have 4 very large auto related forums in Mexico and get to drive a ton of cars here is some pics of our last comparative:
Audi RS4, ferrai Modena 360 and Porsche Carrera Turbo All chipped and tuned ....(check th epolice nearby in the last picture....

http://www.automania.com.mx/kix/ferrari.JPGhttp://www.automania.com.mx/kix/ferrari2.JPGhttp://www.automania.com.mx/kix/ferrari3.JPG
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

N1120A

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 11):
I drove a 93 Carrera 2 (964) and a 96 Carrera 2 (993) and was unimpressed at the handling compared to an NSX or a 512TR.

Well, while 2 wheel drive 911s are fun and a nice challenge, you should really drive the car that constantly wins handling contests, the Carrera 4. NSX's are too bland and 512TR's are heavy and hard to find

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 8):

Well, perhaps you can start on some of the cattle in your new home of Brasil??

Lamborghini's are great but are they still Italian ?

Wait a second, Ferraris are over priced and Lambo's are not??  scratchchin That makes no sense at all. Oh, and since Maseratis are really just watered down, detuned Ferraris, what is the point? And forget Cambio-Crappa (or F1 or SheissMG, etc.)

Quoting KDTWFlyer (Reply 1):
Was just admiring the square values for the Dodge Viper... 500hp AND 500 ft. lbs. of torque... What a beast!

And it gets its a$$ handed to it by corporate siblings with SuperLicht on their badge.

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
- fantasize about R34's, Evo's and STi's

SUPRA. The 2JZ-GTE is the diety of engines.

Quoting Kay (Reply 16):
but what scares me is the maintenance. Anytime someone is driving a 911 (say from the 90's and on), it means he is paying 5000 Euros a year on maintenance and fixing only.

Not at all. While a Porsche can be expensive to work on, they never break down. They are the most reliable super cars that exist. Same goes for BMWs

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 25):
You haven't lived until you have atleast heard the noise the NSX makes!

You mean that of yet another underpowered V6?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ScottishLaddie

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):
You mean that of yet another underpowered V6?

Clearly you are one of the people who haven't heard it.  Wink It's not the fastest car out there, but I wouldn't call it's speed inadequate  Wink It sure sounds awesome though,regardless!

N1120A

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:48 am

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 41):
Clearly you are one of the people who haven't heard it.

Of course I have heard them.

It sure sounds awesome though,regardless!

You want awesome, an F550, a Supra Turbo, any BMW straight 6, a Ford Mustang, those are awesome sounding cars

It's not the fastest car out there, but I wouldn't call it's speed inadequate

Adequate is not what to shoot for. An $80,000 car should not just be adequate.

MD-90

Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:10 am

The NSX is outdated, though. A Nissan Maxima now has almost the power of the original NSX.

Kay

Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:13 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):
Well, while 2 wheel drive 911s are fun and a nice challenge, you should really drive the car that constantly wins handling contests, the Carrera 4.

I have to disagree there. The 993 GT2, RS, as well as the 996 GT2/GT3 and GT3 RS, are all beasts with track setup that handle perfectly for race drivers. The 911 doesn't need fwd to win races or to be a proper race car. Porsche fits a fwd system in the turbo to sell it better to poseurs (the bulk of the market), but the car is not overpowered at all in two-wheel drive (the 993 GT2 430bhp, as well as the 996 GT2 450bhp from the Porsche Cup receive nothing but praise).

Also, the first carrera 4, the 964, was actually very badly received. It featured a fwd system that is 100kg heavier (had a big central differential, as opposed to lighter technology based on friction, the "viscocoupleur", used later). Therefore the first carrera 4 was heavier and an understeerer, a "brouillon" that resulted in much better carrera 4's afterwards, but if there is no snow where you live, still not as attractive as the 2.

Kay

ScottishLaddie

Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
You want awesome, an F550, a Supra Turbo, any BMW straight 6, a Ford Mustang, those are awesome sounding cars

They're all nice sounding cars, clearly we have different taste, because the NSX still tops that lot.  Wink Although the Mustang is an altogether different sort of noise.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
Adequate is not what to shoot for. An $80,000 car should not just be adequate.

Ah, but you wouldn't call a top speed of 170mph (270km/h) INadequate, nor 'adequate' either.  Wink That's more than enough. Furthurmore, I'd like my $80k car to last well, can't get any more reliable than a Honda vtec.  Smile

N1120A

Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 45):
Ah, but you wouldn't call a top speed of 170mph (270km/h) INadequate, nor 'adequate' either. That's more than enough. Furthurmore, I'd like my $80k car to last well, can't get any more reliable than a Honda vtec.

My M3 that cost half as much new (less because I got mine 4 years old) does 172 (E36). Just as reliable too.

WunalaYann

Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:22 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 17):
f you're looking at bang-for-the-buck you should consider the Renault Megane RS, 225 HP of turbochaged power (meaning that you can fit a mean chip to it). That again is FWD though.

The Mégane RS has lost all the comparo-test against the Golf GTi here in France. The double-wishbone front suspension does not cut it. Not enough feedback in the steering wheel.

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 32):
I like my current '05 325i, however the '06 550i would be nice....

When you say 550i, you must be referring to the M5. The problem with sport BMWs in general is that their braking system is definitely not up to par with their awesome engines. Non-slotted twin-piston calipers up front are simply no match for a 500 hp V10 that moves a 1800 kg sedan. Fading has been a recurring problem for BMW, and the cause is simply the lack of decent brakes. No carbon-ceramic discs, and not a single car equipped with at least 4-piston slotted calipers, that puts a big dent in the reputation of a sports cars manufacturer.

Lucky Porsche owners can tell the difference...  Wink

Cheers,

Y.

ScottishLaddie

Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 46):
My M3 that cost half as much new (less because I got mine 4 years old) does 172 (E36). Just as reliable too.

Ah, but it's a BMW.  Silly

N1120A

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 44):
The 993 GT2, RS, as well as the 996 GT2/GT3 and GT3 RS, are all beasts with track setup that handle perfectly for race drivers.

I agree completely.

Quoting Kay (Reply 44):
Porsche fits a fwd system in the turbo to sell it better to poseurs (the bulk of the market), but the car is not overpowered at all in two-wheel drive (the 993 GT2 430bhp, as well as the 996 GT2 450bhp from the Porsche Cup receive nothing but praise).

Sure, but I am simply talking about the standard Carrera 4, non-turbo, which constantly gets rave reviews.

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 48):
Ah, but it's a BMW.

Yep, The Ultimate Driving Machine Big grin