FlyingTexan
Topic Author

One Million Spent On One Homeless In 6 Months

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:29 am

Following is a link to an article in the April 9, 2005 edition of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. It states that one million dollars was spent on one homeless person during a six month time span.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho...Apr-09-Sat-2005/news/26254542.html
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

TedTAce

RE: One Million Spent On One Homeless In 6 Months

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:38 am

There has to be a better way to deal with homless people then this. Why didn't someone say, let's stop @$500K (if not sooner), and just buy this guy a place to stay, food to eat, and a few years worth of health insurance, including if necessary, mental care? I garantee something like that could have been done for $250K if not less...Oh wait $250K is still too much for some people here, they'd rather make our kids pay the $1million, with interest.
This space intentionally left blank

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:55 am

I should have mentioned in the original post the RJ article states the $1 Million went toward medical bills, incarceration, detox, and ambulance rides.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

theCoz

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:15 am

Considering the ridiculous cost of healthcare, I'm not surprised this cost 1 million dollars.

What did they do, give the guy a couple of asprin after an ambulance ride to a detox center?

The truely outrageous aspect of this is how little it takes to rack up 1 million in bills through health care. What is less significant to me is the fact that they spent 1 million dollars to try and fix up a homeless person -- like this person is less worthy of help than someone else, just because they're homeless.