Sabena332
Topic Author

Getting A Visa For Russia, Questions

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:15 am

Hi all,

My girlfriend and myself are planning a weekend trip to Moscow, now I have a question regarding the visa (I prefer asking here because the Russian embassy demands a service fee for advice on visa questions).

On the website of the Russian embassy I read the following:

In German:

3. Für Touristen

1. Für Touristen (auch Individualreisende) ist zusätzlich zu den im Punkt 2 erwähnten Unterlagen eine förmliche Reisebestätigung des russischen Reiseveranstalters erforderlich.

2. Weiterhin muss ebenfalls ein Voucher des deutschen Reisebüros oder des russischen Reiseveranstalters vorgelegt werden.

3. Fehlt eine dieser Unterlagen, kann kein Visum ausgestellt werden!

Quick translation into English:

3. For tourists

1. Tourists need a formal confirmation from the Russian tour operator,

2. Furthermore must tourists present a voucher from the German travel agency or the Russian tour operator.

3. Is one of these documents missing, we won't issue a visa.

Huh? I want to book a flight on an airline/travel website and a hotel via Priceline or another travel website. I won't get a "formal confirmation" from a Russian tour operator or a German travel agency because I will never get in touch with them. Is it enough when I send them a print-out of the hotel reservation and a print-out of the confirmation eMail of the electronic airline ticket?

Has anyone more information about these "formal confirmations" and if I can use my hotel and flight confirmation eMails instead?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Yu138086

RE: Getting A Visa For Russia, Questions

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:26 am

Patrick,
What i think the Russian information is alluding to is the fact that in order to get a VISA to enter Russia, one needs an invitation of some sort. If you dont have an invitation from a local, then I remember reading that a confirmed booking at any Russian hotel will act as a substitute. This site should help...

http://www.visatorussia.com/

Good luck.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:42 am

Thank you for the link, I just found the following on the site:

If Individual Travel: Confirmation of hotel arrangements from authorized Russian travel company, or directly from the Russian hotel, showing reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

Looks like a hotel confirmation is enough!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

UN_B732

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:58 am

Good Luck with Russia. A wonderful country, but the government/visas are a joke. Where in Russia are you going? Going to get to fly domestic production?
What now?

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:24 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 3):
Where in Russia are you going?

We had the choice between St. Petersburg and Moscow but in the end we decided for Moscow because it gets service from more airlines (cheaper flights because of higher competition) and because it is the capital (more sights).

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 3):
Going to get to fly domestic production?

Unfortunately not because of the lack of time. We want to fly to Moscow on a Friday and return back to Germany on a Sunday.

Patrick

whitehatter

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:45 am

St Petersburg isn't necessarily that hard to get to. Have a look at the websites of some of the Baltic carriers who have added the destination to their route maps.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...