jfkaua

New Verizon Fiber Optic Network NY Area

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:13 pm

So lately I've been seeing those Verizon trucks n guys all over the place including my backyard putting those blueish cables up along with the spools of cable all over the place. So finally I got it in the mail today that Verizon FiOS is here. Its Verizon's new fiber optic internet service. Now this may not seem significant to most people, but anyone who lives on LI knows exactly what this means... The end of Cablevisions practical monopoly on broadband internet.

Anyway they offer to residential plan

5 Mbps - 34.95 / month
15 Mbps - 44.95 / month
Cablevisions current rates - 10 Mbps - 49.95/ month.

Although this will be a blow to Cablevision, the major blow will come when they introduce Television service. This is clearly coming as the converter box they will install on the customers house includes a television broadcast converter. So this means that the 100+ cable bills will probably soon be over.

If anyone has been following, Cablevision has pulled out all the stops legally in trying to stop Verizon from lieing these optical lines as they see it is going to end there monopoly very quickly.

So are they're any other LI's who feel great that cablevision is finally beginning to be beat...

Newark777

RE: New Verizon Fiber Optic Network NY Area

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:18 pm

If it helps get rid of Cablevision, I'm all for it. Those people have such a monopoly going, and their customer service stinks.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Mir

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:58 pm

Having moved out of the NY area, I've forgotten exactly which provider is which.

Is Cablevision the one that didn't put YES on their regular service, and then pulled FSN and MSG (leaving Mets fans in the dark)? Or am I thinking of someone else?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jfkaua

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:11 am

oh thats them...

~filler~

Mir

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:47 am

Good. In that case, I shall shed no tears over their evil monopoly being broken (though I can't profess to have much love for Verizon either). I hate the Dolans.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day