CactusA319
Topic Author

Gary Sheffield Gets Into It With Red Sawx Fan

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Just saw this on SportsCenter:

In the 9th inning of today's "epic" (given the absurd amount of media hype) regular season game between the Yankees and Red Sox at Fenway Park, Jason Varitek of the Sox hit a line drive down the right field line. As Gary Sheffield ran in to field the ball and throw it back to the infield, a fan in the front row took a swipe-at either the ball or Sheffield, not really sure- and ended up grazing Sheffield's head. Sheff picked the ball up, shoved the guy making him spill his beer and then threw the ball back in. He then turned around and charged towards the guy before stopping himself short. Security and the entire Yankee team came in to separate the two. Nothing else happened and the game went on, altough it got close to being Pistons-Pacers all over again.

So as if there's not enough freaking coverage of these two teams, now we'll have to hear all about this for the next 48 hours. Thanks Sox fan.

Airlinerfreak

RE: Gary Sheffield Gets Into It With Red Sawx Fan

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:36 pm

I saw that and I was just about to post it here and you did. This brings me back to the Ron Artest debacle. What does this mean for sports is the real question. We have all these nitwits that do stupid things that prevent us from being closer to the action. What a **** Head. He will get his someday.

LHMark

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:38 pm

That poor fan, he put himself in a vulnerable position against a big, athletic guy. I hope he put on some catcher's gear first.

Sincerely, Jason Varitek
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

airlinelover

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:47 pm

Sheff is in the right. The guy touched him, not a good thing to do. Plus, Sheff did NOTHIGN wrong, and stopped himself short. Hope the fan gets jail time

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

MrChips

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:52 pm

You missed some things, my dear friend...

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 2):
That poor fan, he put himself in a vulnerable position against a big, athletic guy. I hope he put on some catcher's gear first.

That poor fan, he put himself in a vulnerable position against a big, STEROID POPPING JUICEHEAD. I hope he put on some catcher's gear first.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 2):
Sincerely, Jason Varitek

Sincerely, JOSE CANSECO

:D

[Edited 2005-04-15 06:53:32]
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

LHMark

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:57 pm

Chips, it was a reference to this:

"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

dragon-wings

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:29 pm

I saw it also.

The fan may have tried to hit or interfer with Sheffield, but he hardly touch him. I could maybe understand if he was actualy hit but he wan't, he was hardly grazed.

The Yankee fans are laughable, at the yankees web site they are saying how fans threw beer on him and he was hit so hard his hat moved when the guy hit him.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

CactusA319
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:52 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 6):
The fan may have tried to hit or interfer with Sheffield, but he hardly touch him. I could maybe understand if he was actualy hit but he wan't, he was hardly grazed.

Whether or not he hit actually touched him is irrelevant (look closely, the guys hand actually hits Sheff's hat). I could see how Sheff could get pissed off. Here you are, falling behind to the other team late and one of their guys gets an extra base hit. As you're hustling to field the ball, some asshole fan who's probably had one too many takes a swipe in the direction of your face. Even if he didn't hit him, he still sees some guys hand flying towards his face while he's trying to make the play. I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty pissed too. Given Sheffield's past, I would have expected him to jump in there and pummel the guy. He showed pretty decent restraint on that one (the shove notwithstanding).

Mir

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:55 pm

Now, the fan was clearly in the wrong by reaching over to grab the ball while Sheffield was trying to hit it. You can't interfere with a ball in play. But, I will say that for Sheffield to shove the fan, although the idiot deserved it, was going a bit far. It was good to see Sheffield keep it at that though, some players might have gone farther.

It wasn't grazing. He knocked him in the head. It was probably accidental, but how stupid do you have to be to put your arm down to try and get the ball when a fielder is RIGHT THERE?

On a slightly related note, I'm a Yankee fan, and even I'm sick of the Yankees playing the Red Sox all the time. Bring on the Tigers! Or the Mariners! Or someone else!

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KROC

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 pm

Further proof why Sox fan is now officially worse than Yankee Fan. I bet Chowd Nation is proud this morning.

gkirk

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:42 pm

Well done baseball, you are making football look good  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

KROC

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:09 pm

No GKirk. No chowd honk started firing roman Candles at the Right Fielder.

Usairwys757

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 11):
No GKirk. No chowd honk started firing roman Candles at the Right Fielder.

LMAO, shutup kirkie. Dont try to compare the Great American Pastime to those Soccer punks.

Silly
Inactive.....

Falcon84

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:07 pm

I saw it also.

Stop letting this low-life off the hook. He shouldn't be trying to "hardly touch him" to begin with. As far as I'm concerned, even if he did "hardly touch him", charge him with assult, and don't let the douche back to a game in Fenway, ever. That will stop such assinine behavior by fans.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 10):
Well done baseball, you are making football look good

Really, did baseball fan throw flares on the field this time? Soccer is still the lowlife, fan-wise, on the sports totem pole.
Work Right, Fly Hard

CaptOveur

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:25 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 10):
Well done baseball, you are making football look good

When was the last time someone was killed in a baseball riot? I was actually watching that game last night for 2 reasons: The big unit was pitching (strange to see a once good pitcher gone wrong like that) but I was mainly watching because the Yankees were losing. That was until my girlfriend made her usual empty headed proclamation that baseball was boring. So I managed to miss the best part thanks to her.

It may finally be time to get rid of her, she used to claim she liked the sport.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

flymia

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:25 pm

The media making a big deal out of it. Might have just been incidental by the fan and Sheffield somewhat held his composer.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

KROC

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:41 pm

Quoting Flymia (Reply 15):
Might have just been incidental by the fan

Incidental? Please, the ball was in play and the fan had NO buisness having any part of his body in the field of play. He clearly meant to get in the way and for that he should have gotten his ass kicked.

sleekjet

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:49 pm

While I would never condone the actions of a stupid fan, this is but another reason why I never miss Yankees/Red Sox games on the tube. Something is gonna happen...sooner or later.
II Cor. 4:17-18

LHMark

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:54 pm

You'd think after Jeffrey Maier, Steve Bartman, and Meth-head & son that people would begin to understand that fan interference is a dumb idea. Hell, at the Red Wings game the other night, the catcher runs behind the plate to snag a pop foul, and a fan reaches over the wall and ruins the play, just so he can have a baseball. The worst part: dude was wearing a cubs cap! WTF?

KROC

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:06 pm

Get off the Cubs Mark. I am pulling for them. I mean they last won in 1908. I love those guys.

Signed, Troyvis

nycflyer

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:36 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 18):
Hell, at the Red Wings game the other night

I'm assuming you really meant the Tigers game...

Falcon84

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:41 pm

Hell, at the Red Wings game the other night

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 20):

ROTFL. NYCFlyer, I think our friend is in Hockey Withdrawl.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

funflyer

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:45 pm

That guy was a YANKEE's fan and he was trying to tell people not to touch the ball.

Simple Mistake. Did you see his face when Shef went for him, definatly suprised.
Who cares about status?

KBOS

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:49 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
charge him with assault, and don't let the douche back to a game in Fenway, ever.

Then who will the Yankees get to play right field on their next trip to Fenway?
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

Logan22L

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:51 pm

That fan, and the fan who threw his beer on Sheffield, are getting raked over the coals here on Boston Sports radio (WEEI). Most of us are hoping he's a season ticket holder and will lose his tickets. As for the beer thrower who then ran and hid behind some female fans, he's being referred to as Gutless A. Puke by Dale Arnold on WEEI, as he was wearing a GAP sweatshirt. Kinda funny, but I can see a lawsuit coming Dale's way from GAP.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

garnetpalmetto

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:52 pm

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 20):

No, I believe they mean Red Wings. As in Rochester Red Wings. You know...minor league baseball?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:21 am

Thank you for being astute GarnetPalmetto. Unlike most other users here its a rare treat! Even if you're a Bucs Fan.  Wink

garnetpalmetto

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 26):
Even if you're a Bucs Fan.

I may be a Bucs fan, but unlike certain fairweather fans around here, at least I stay on the Bucs wagon....no matter how bad the team is. I'd just like a Series win sometime before I die. I guess I'm somewhat knowledgable about the Mets too since they used to have their Low A club here before the team moved to Greenville in the off-season. You guys have some good prospects that came through here last season..assuming you don't trade 'em all off, the future of the Mets if bright. So yeah, I'll cheer for the Mets when and if some of the guys I cheered for down here are on the team. Does that make me a bandwagon Mets fan?  Confused
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 27):
Does that make me a bandwagon Mets fan?

No. I cheer for the Twins, because they have an excellent minor league system and Crapchester being their AAA affiliate, we see some good players here. I'm not a diehard Twins fan but I'll support them...like you with the Mets. Were safe. Its when Braves Fan starts cheering for the Red Sux more than his own team right about ohhhhh September, and acts like he is a diehard Sux Fan since way back during the playoff's all but forgetting he is really a Braves Fan ONLY to turn back to the Braves and turn on the Red Sux at the start of this year.....thats a bandwagon fan...that and Jcs17 saying he is a Yankee Fan.

atcrick

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting Flymia (Reply 15):
The media making a big deal out of it. Might have just been incidental by the fan and Sheffield somewhat held his composer

A. I don't see how anyone could call that "incidental"
B. Sheffield somehow held his composer??? Does that fan write music or something???????
natch!!

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:01 am

You'd think after Jeffrey Maier, Steve Bartman, and Meth-head & son that people would begin to understand that fan interference is a dumb idea. Hell, at the Red Wings game the other night, the catcher runs behind the plate to snag a pop foul, and a fan reaches over the wall and ruins the play, just so he can have a baseball. The worst part: dude was wearing a cubs cap! WTF?

Quoting KROC (Reply 19):
Get off the Cubs Mark. I am pulling for them. I mean they last won in 1908. I love those guys.

Though KROC may be speaking a bit facetiously with the signature he wrote, I'm Chicago suburbs born and bred, a Cub fan since 5. So S.B. is person non grata, even mentioning him in passing, in these here forums. Seriously, though, if Bartman or some other drill rod jamoke (even wearing a Cubs hat) wants to stick his hands anywhere over the fence or somehow involve themselves in a potential play, their hands should be slapped - with handcuffs, notices of court appearances and maybe some sharp, electrified device to teach them that YOU'RE NOT A PLAYER, so stay out of the game!

-R
Living the American Dream

KROC

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:07 am

Allstarflyer - I was making fun of Usairwys757 and the fact he is the biggest bandwagoniere around. As for Steve Bartman, the dude did nothing wrong. The ball was clearly in the stands and he tried to catch it. Its not his fault the Cubs choked yet again.

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:35 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 31):
As for Steve Bartman, the dude did nothing wrong. The ball was clearly in the stands and he tried to catch it. Its not his fault the Cubs choked yet again.

Yeah, the thing with Bartman is, we learned from watching him learn the hard way. He didn't reach over the fence, several other people were reaching as well, he didn't even reach his hand to interact with the outfielder (like this candidate for medical experimentation did up in Boston). Yeah, it is hard to blame the guy, and maybe he didn't see Alou charging towards the wall, and it's all 20/20 now, but it's hard to think there can't be some situational awareness about a potential play. I don't mean to be a  liar , because I may have done the same thing in a more grandiose fashion. Yeah, it's easy to knock Bartman, and he had a normal fan response. BUT I'M A CUB FAN! But I'll knock off knockin' on ol' Bart. And, you're right, it's not his fault - if Alex Gonzalez played the defense he always did (the only thing he could do since he was a strikeout machine at the plate), then we Cub fans would share reminiscence about the Cubs-Yanks Series of '03.

-R

learpilot

Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 14):
That was until my girlfriend made her usual empty headed proclamation that baseball was boring.

Sounds like a keeper!

Quoting Falcon84:
I think our friend is in Hockey Withdrawl.

Make that two of us around here. You guys just keep watching "soccer junior". At least in hockey fighting is expected and the players don't go around taking shots at fans. And when a fight does break out between players, it isn't a bunch of sissies piling on each other like it's a street fight with 70 year old men being thrown down by a 20 something punk with dreads.  flamed 
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

KROC

Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting Learpilot (Reply 33):
You guys just keep watching "soccer junior". At least in hockey fighting is expected and the players don't go around taking shots at fans

You got it wrong hotrod. Hockey is known as Soccer on Ice. Get it right.

airlinelover

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:19 am

I just hope Sheff presses charges on that guy..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Newark777

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:28 am

We also have to give credit to the Fenway security. That security guard was on the scene almost immediately, and prevented what could have been much worse, like what happened last year. They seem to have their act together, and looked to be very visible the rest of the game.

BTW Did anyone see the guy getting mobbed by security at home plate after the game? I was surprised the TV showed it, since they usually cut away from those types of things.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Usairwys757

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:02 am

Biggest bandwagoner around?? Give me a break, I pulled for them in the playoffs, what the hell is the harm in that??

I never said I wasnt a Braves fan.
Inactive.....

dragon-wings

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:03 am

Im not standing up for that fan at all. He was dead wrong for doing what he did, but saying that Sheffield should press charges on the guy and they should charge him with assault is going overboard.

The most that will happen is he gets his season tickets taken away (if he is a season ticket holder) and maybe he will be banned from coming back into the ballpark. Sheffield will get a 1 or 2 game suspension for touch a fan.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

CaptOveur

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 34):
You got it wrong hotrod. Hockey is known as Soccer on Ice. Get it right.

But yet I will actually watch hockey.. Soccer is just stupid to me. I sometimes watch it on Telemundo just to hear the announcer though.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

ren41

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:12 am

'Roid rage?

The fan was an idiot for having his arm out there even if he didn't "swipe" his arm past Sheff on purpose. It wasn't even close to a punch so I think the reaction by Sheff was a little extreme.

(insert BBBBAAAAALLLLLCCCCOOOO chant)

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 38):
Sheffield will get a 1 or 2 game suspension for touch a fan.

That would be a load of horse@#$%.

Quoting Ren41 (Reply 40):
The fan was an idiot for having his arm out there even if he didn't "swipe" his arm past Sheff on purpose. It wasn't even close to a punch so I think the reaction by Sheff was a little extreme.

Sheff doesn't fit the 'roids crowd like other players might, but, back on topic, Sheff gave a response that looked like he was shoving off after a "swipe" (whatever it was), and then looked like he gave the fan a once over to see what the real intent was. Yeah, Sheff moved forward, but he also did show self-restraint. Yeah, Sheff looked like he was about to send the guy into orbit, but kudos to Sheff for restraining himself. It really looked, though, when Sheff moved forward, that he was going to grab a handful of that guy's throat.

-R

ren41

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:50 am

Sheff doesn't fit the 'roids crowd like other players might

Why? He's an admitted steriod user. That is, unless you believe his BS "I didn't know it was steriods" excuse.

R41

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:56 am

Quoting Ren41 (Reply 42):
Why? He's an admitted steriod user.

I had him in mind as the "I've admitted it, and it's behind me" kinda guy. Could be totally wrong, though.

-R

KROC

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting Ren41 (Reply 40):
'Roid rage?

Look at Red Sox Honk sticking up for the fan and piling on the Yankees. No freakin' class as usual. Whatcan you expect though from a team who makes Variteck their Captain. I mean he had the balls to start with ARod right? While wearing the full lot of catchers equipment. Dude is the biggest puss in MLB. Where is Izzy Alcantera to karate kick his ass when you need it???

Usairwys757

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:22 am

Sheff is on roids and the Sox fan is a punk. I think both are wrong. End of story.
Inactive.....

srbmod

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:31 am

Looks like they may have to put up the Plexiglass like they've used @ The Metrodome at any stadium with such close seating....

I was cheering for the fan in this one. I hate Sheffield because he's a tool for the way he dogged it after he was traded to the Braves.

Logan22L

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 44):
No freakin' class as usual.

Broad brush, 'ROC. Most all of us here in BOS are bothered by having this guy representing us. It's is hard to tell exactly what his intent was, but in any case, interfering with a ball in play or a player is inexcusable.

The talk on the radio is pretty much all in support of the restraint that Sheffield demonstrated. We're not all a$$holes here in BOS (although we are working on it Wink).

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Usairwys757

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:36 am

I quote Michael Wilbon, "This is not European Soccer violence where the players chase the ref out of the stadium, its not the apocalypse like Soccer games".

I believe that sums up the comparisons of Soccer to baseball. You have NO argument.
Inactive.....

corey07850

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:16 am

Dumbest mistake Shef made was try to shove the guy while he was still holding the ball... At least throw the ball in before you go after the guy.

Obviously the fan is at fault and should be prosecuted for whatever rules/laws he broke.