allstarflyer

Help On European Vacation Ideas

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:49 am

After having been in the airline industry for over 4 years, I've done a ton of domestic traveling, and little international (London 2x). I'm thinking about using some of vacation accrual in Europe next month, and I was wondering how I can most easily (and affordably) get about and stay at night. Hostels, trains, things like that. I'm planning to go to Germany on LH (I guess to MUC - haven't looked at the itineraries just yet) and then mosey my way down through France to southern Spain. I should have ten days total, and I was hoping (in some way) to hop across to Morocco, if even for a short time. I want to see one major German city (MUC or FRA will be fine), Paris, Madrid, and if I have enough time, take a train back up through Barcelona and the French Riveria. Heck even pass through Switzerland, if possible. If anyone has some insight or could show me some websites (for purchasing train tickets - if trains can take me where I want to go - hostels, things to see, etc.), I'd appreciate it.

And if I don't respond on this right away, it's because I'm leaving work for the day soon, but I'll be checking this again tomorrow.

-R
Living the American Dream

OzarkD9S

RE: Help On European Vacation Ideas

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:50 am

Make sure you hit Amsterdam, the fun capital of Europe. (Depending on your particular vices, of course!)
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

LifelinerOne

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:53 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):
Make sure you hit Amsterdam, the fun capital of Europe. (Depending on your particular vices, of course!)

Ahh, how can you say that?? Amsterdam has just launched an extensive marketing campaign to get rid of that image... We also have very nice old buildings, canals, wooden shoes, flowers and DJ Tiësto... Who cares about the red light district and smoking pot...???

Cheers!
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:54 am

Friends from ORD told me about Amsterdam. Not really into the same in which they seemed to find pleasure.

I can get an RT on MartinAir, though, and I'm thinking about taking that instead of LH. I wouldn't see much of Germany, though, if I took MP.

-R

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:57 am

Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Madrid, Vienna . . . my particular favorites.

Get a EurRail Pass. I know this is an aviation site - but if you want to SEE Europe, that's the way to go. Start in Copenhagen. Take a ferry to Amsterdam. Take Rhine River Cruise to Frankfurt. Take the train to Vienna and Madrid
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

VS747SPUR

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:01 am

Barcelona is a definate must, I loved that place ! Switzerland is a beautiful country too. Paris also very nice !

Hostels : http://www.statravel.co.uk/accommoda...e=goog&keyword=youth+hostel&bhcp=1 May be handy.

For trains : http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/switzerland_index.htm
This could be useful too.

Regards

VS747SPUR
Fly DL

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
Get a EurRail Pass. I know this is an aviation site - but if you want to SEE Europe, that's the way to go. Start in Copenhagen. Take a ferry to Amsterdam. Take Rhine River Cruise to Frankfurt. Take the train to Vienna and Madrid

scratchchin 

How the heck do I do this? A ferry to Amsterdam - from Copenhagen? That seems a bit long, but then, to me it seems like Northern European geography would be more expansive. That whole route sounds like a cool plan, though. I'll look into it, but I'm open to pointers as to how to do this.

-R

NoUFO

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Thread starter):
(I guess to MUC - haven't looked at the itineraries just yet) and then mosey my way down through France to southern Spain. I should have ten days total, and I was hoping (in some way) to hop across to Morocco, if even for a short time. I want to see one major German city (MUC or FRA will be fine), Paris, Madrid, and if I have enough time, take a train back up through Barcelona and the French Riveria.

That's plenty for ten days. In doubt, choose a little less to soak up atmosphere and blend with the environment.
I support the right to arm bears

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:24 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 6):
A ferry to Amsterdam - from Copenhagen?

http://www.passengershipsociety.com/ferrylinks.htm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
Take Rhine River Cruise to Frankfurt.

http://www.rivercruises.com/
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

mdsh00

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:25 am

I'll throw my hat in here too. I'm planning on going with my family to Europe. We were planning on going to France, Italy, and Germany. Which places in Italy (aside from Rome) and Germany are family friendly places?

Also, how much is EURail?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

petertenthije

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:54 am

Attamottamotta!

mdsh00

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 10):
http://www.eurail.com/

I went to that site right after posting the question. Any tips on cities to visit? Berlin vs. Frankfurt; Florence vs. Milan vs. Venice?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

NoUFO

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:05 am

Family friendly? Well, that's certainly not Rome. The traffic there is crazy, but you nevertheless shouldn't miss Rome or Florence and the Tuscan countryside.

As for Germany, the most family friendly spots I know of are the Eastfrisian islands, such as Langeeog ( http://www.langeoog.de ) Nice beaches, dunes, no cars allowed and very little pollution. It's comparatively expensive, though and difficult to get there. And I don't think you are keen on spending your holidays on a little island, no matter how peaceful it may be. My sister in law and I spend a couple of days there every year to relax.

How about Freiburg and the Black Forest? It's a small but thanks to it's University relatively vibrant city with a nice old town. And Freiburg is only a stone's throw from Switzerland and France.

If you want to see a big German city, I would choose MUC over FRA any day.

[Edited 2005-04-16 01:05:30]

mdsh00

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:17 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 12):
Nice beaches, dunes, no cars allowed and very little pollution.

One thing though...being brown, my family doesn't care for beaches too much  Wink. I think the historical sites are more important for my parents, which is why Rome is a must. As for Germany, it seems to me like Berlin has the most history. Also, where are the best places to see the castles?

[Edited 2005-04-16 01:18:14]

NoUFO

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:31 am

Ahh, your parents. I was thinking of your kidsBig grin

Yes, than Berlin is a must see, Munich comes second. Castles ... oh dear ... Neuschwanstein of course and don't miss the Rhine valley (train!). And your parents will like Freiburg and the Black Forest, too.

Hint: "being brown" is interpreted as "being Nazi" in Germany.  Wink

mdsh00

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:34 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 14):
Ahh, your parents. I was thinking of your kids.

Haha yeah...im only 22!

Neuschwanstein of course

That's the castle I was thinking of.

Hint: "being brown" is interpreted as "being Nazi" in Germany.

Thanks for the tip!

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:40 am

and don't miss the Rhine valley (train!).

When I lived in Wiesbaden one of my favorite things to do was to take a KD Boat (the old Drachenfels was my favorite) down the Rhine from Mz/Erbenheim to Koblenz and return on the train. It will take most of the day, but it IS worth the trip. The Rhine Valley is one of the most beautiful places in Germany, bar none. Don't miss that ride.

NoUFO

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:15 am

All about Neuschwanstein and other Bavarian castles: http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/ (english) Neuschwanstein is in the southwest of Bavaria. Being there, you may want to travel to Lake Constanz (Bodensee), as well.

BCNGRO

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:56 am

Yes, than Berlin is a must see

It's indeed a must. Lots of history there. Don't forget to visit a concentration camp. Sachsenhausen is a good choice.

If you are planning to visit Spain these are the better ways to move around:

Plane: http://www.vueling.com, http://www.iberia.com, http://www.spanair.com and http://www.aireuropa.com

Train: http://www.renfe.es

And don't forget to spend some days in Barcelona!

Regards,
BCNGRO

[Edited 2005-04-16 02:57:37]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

StevenUhl777

Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Using Eurail, you should be able to get a multi-country pass, but also look at each trip on an individual basis compared with the cost per day of a pass.

Example: I paid $200 for 5 days for last July, or $40 per day. For whatever pass YOU buy, determine the daily cost. So, if a particular train segment is less than that, then don't waste a day on your pass! Contrastly, if the proposed cost of a trip is more than the daily cost of your pass, then use a day of your pass. Forgive me for sounding like an accountant, but given the exchange rate these days, any money you can save is worth it.

Regarding Deutsche Bahn: I had no problems whatsoever...great value, if you ask me. Trains are on time, but not nearly to German standards of course, which is why most of them complain about it to no end. For us Yanks on vacation though, it's perfect, and better than anything here, that's for damn sure. Use their website, and that can help you plan departure and arrival times, total time on the train, and you can use it to book hotels, like I did. I used this site extensively to plan my 10 days through Germany, and it was priceless! I think DB lost money on my pass, but oh, well.

If you're limited on time in Germany, then Munich and Berlin are musts. But, if you do both this trip, remember it's about an 8-10 hour train ride between each city, and you might consider taking a night train. Don't bother wasting time in Dresden, it's not worth it, plus they're not openly friendly with westerners, either. Don't waste your time with the Nazi stuff in Nurnberg, either. Go to Cologne if you want to see the cathedral or a gay parade, otherwise forget it. Bonn is nice, but not a lot to see if you're short on time. Anyway, in either Munich or Berlin, do the walking tour, which is about 13 Euros, plus tip, which is highly recommended, as the guides REALLY know their stuff. Here's links for both MUC and Berlin. The Berlin site has a coupon that gives a 1 or 2 Euros off a tour if you print it now and give it to them when you pay.

http://www.berlinwalks.de/
Offers several tours. 3-4 hours for the city tour...try to get Henry if he's there. Also, get out to Potsdam if at all possible, Cecillienhof and Sansoucci are AMAZING to see. Tours leave from the Zoo Hbf (train station in the former West Berlin, near the zoo) or near Ostbahnhof, IIRC.

http://www.munichwalks.com/
Stick with this company while in MUC...they have Neuschwanstein tours (allow 1 full day for approx. $40 plus tip. Book this advance on the website now if you're going to be there in the summer)
They also have a tour of Dachau as well I believe. Dachau is like 12 miles NW of the city.

Also in Munich...stay away from the Hofbrauhaus...total tourist trap! Unless you want to watch foreign tourists get drunk, forget it. Go somewhere authentic. The G. Schneider & Sohn brewery is about a block or so east of Marienplatz/neues Rathaus/Glockenspiel. Even better yet...and go to the Englischer Garten rain or shine...but there's a huge eating area at the Chinese pogoda area...treat yourself to a Storkelfisch! In the southeast corner of the park, check out the surfers in the river that comes out from under the street! They're fun to watch for 15-20 mins.

I love both Munich and Berlin...I miss it a great deal...I always have a blast there. I didn't get to do the Rhine cruise, but I understand the area between St. Goar and Bacharach is the most scenic, based on Rick Steves' tour book.

Spain: Barcelona over Madrid any day! The eastern coast is nice, several resort towns to check out. Stay in a Paradores (sp?) hotel anywhere, some are better than others, but the one we stayed at in Albacete was great. Seville is a nice city...I enjoyed it there as well, and consider going to see a bullfight at the Plaza de Toros in Madrid. To get to the south coast, from Madrid take the AGV from Atocha and it goes to Sevilla via one stop. From Sevilla, take a regular train to Cadiz, which is nice, and then ultimately get to Tarifa, which is the windsurfing capital of Europe. Stay away from the Costa del Sol, which is a tourist trap from everywhere I've read. You can do Morocco in a day..buy a day tour in Tarifa, and there's a ferry that leaves from either Tarifa (it might now, but there wasn't one in 2001) or Algeciras. Gibraltar is right there, but Morocco is a real eye opener! Worth it though, for a day. Go with a group, definitely.

[Edited 2005-04-16 08:41:34]
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

adam

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:52 pm

Dude don't forget to go to Rome. You can't go to Europe withoutout going to Rome. There aren't many hostels all over, but you can find a few by termini.

Adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

gkirk

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:01 pm

Magaluf, it's full of Spanish culture  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Jet-lagged

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:31 pm

Europe is such a diverse place! Look into your heart and see what countries you are most interested in.

Mostly I've been to the cities, but I can make these suggestions:

For great European value, consider Budapest and Prague.

The great cities of Europe in my mind are Vienna, London, Rome, and Paris. Because for centuries they were the hearts of large empires or countries

Other great cities are
Germany - Munchen and Bavaria (never been to Berlin) is way better than the other cities IMO
Spain - Madrid (Barcellona also good)
Finland - Helsinki, in the height of Summer
Netherlands - Amsterdam - a great European city, and with some 'special' atraction
Portugal - Lisbon is nice
Italy - Florence is great too, as is Sienna
Greece - Athens is great. The rest of the country not so attractive, unless you are very partial to Greek history. The isles are good though

Eurail is the best way to get around. If you can afford it, rent a car for a few days, and experience the freedom of the countryside too.

Have big fun!!!

A319114

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:40 am

You really should come to The Netherlands, it's a nice country to visit and there's lots of more to see besides Amsterdam. For Example, if you are into modern architecture you could visit Rotterdam, also famous for its harbour, one of the biggest in the world (really worth a visit). If I have time, I even could show you around in Holland.
I also really like Vienna, a great city with a rich history. Make sure you visit an opera performance in the Staatsoper (state opera).
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

LOT767-300ER

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:58 am

"Hint: "being brown" is interpreted as "being Nazi" in Germany. Wink"

What can brown do for you?

NoUFO

Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:01 am

LOT767-300ER,

I'm sorry?  Confused

LFutia

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:15 am

Why not go to Iceland?
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

StevenUhl777

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:39 am

One thing I'd add to Berlin is the Reichstag...it's free to get in, though you will probably have to stand in line, and of course go through security. The elevator takes you up to the top, where you can walk outside and look out over Berlin, and it's marked on a placard as to what's in the near distance. Also, you can go inside the glass/steel dome and walk all the way to the top, and also somewhat look down into the parliament area. Worthwhile...allow 2-3 hours, depending on how long the line is to get in.

I did the tour above last July. I was there in May '93 and you couldn't go to the top and walk around, instead there was a hall with exhibits on German history, which isn't open now.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

libturdslayer

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:52 am

My advice: Don't go to Europe. They don't really like Americans there and there isn't much to see, I've heard. Why would you want to go over there when everything you could possibly want is in America? We truly are the greatest nation ever.

N1120A

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:57 am

Quoting Libturdslayer (Reply 28):
They don't really like Americans there and there isn't much to see, I've heard.

Funny how that is completely untrue
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

B747-437B

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:08 am

Why would you want to go over there when everything you could possibly want is in America?

Actually, I've found it quite hard to find a woman with hair in her armpits in America while they are very abundant in Europe.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

libturdslayer

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:11 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
Funny how that is completely untrue

Both are true. I'd rather be at the Paris hotel in Las Vegas than the actual Paris, frenchie.

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 30):
Actually, I've found it quite hard to find a woman with hair in her armpits in America while they are very abundant in Europe.

Haha, that's true. Another reason to stay away from Europe. Also, they aren't as Free as we are in America.

B747-437B

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:13 am

Quoting Libturdslayer (Reply 31):
they aren't as Free as we are in America

Well, they DO have FREE heathcare.... Doesn't that count for something?
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

N1120A

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:13 am

Both are true. I'd rather be at the Paris hotel in Las Vegas than the actual Paris, frenchie.

How dare you mention the capital of SIN (Las Vegas, perish)!!

libturdslayer

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:16 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
How dare you mention the capital of SIN (Las Vegas, perish)!!

Actually, Nevada did vote for a law limiting marriage between a man and a women, so it can't be that Bad. I'd rather be in Las Vegas because Bush would be president instead of that creep Jacques Chirac. yuck

B747-437B

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:17 am

Quoting Libturdslayer (Reply 34):
Nevada did vote for a law limiting marriage between a man and a women

Thats explains why GKirk moved back to Scotland. Where men are men and sheep are afraid....

yvrtoyyz

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:19 am

Also, they aren't as Free as we are in America.

You state you are free, yet you preach things such as:

1) no same-sex marriage;
2) no abortion
3) no freedom of religion;
4) no liberal philosophies;
5) no euthenasia;
6) no two-party system

I'm sure there are more that others can think of. Europe is definitely more free than the US is; hell, Americans were more free during the Clinton administration than they are now. I suggest you go to Europe to experience real freedom....but wait, you'd better watch out as those "libs" might try to convert you while you are over there.

libturdslayer

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:19 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 32):

Free crappy health "care." It's socialist, so I automatically don't trust it. Might as well be the soviet Union, I say. The people who don't have health care in America are just lazy, they don't want to work hard. I don't pity them.

B747-437B

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:21 am

Quoting Libturdslayer (Reply 37):
people who don't have health care in America are just lazy

Or dead.

People without healthcare tend to die.

StevenUhl777

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:44 am

My advice: Don't go to Europe. They don't really like Americans there and there isn't much to see, I've heard

So it sounds like you've never been there yourself, then? While we're not #1 on their list, if you go and act polite and be respectful of them and their culture, and try to appreciate what they have there, then you'll be fine. There's PLENTY to see there. Very ignorant remark on your part, or from the person you "heard it from", who probably has never been over there, either.

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 32):

NOTHING is free, my friend. They pay exhorbitant taxes in exchange for a sub-par health system. Imagine needing a transplant and end up on a waiting list. Noooooooo thank you.

N1120A

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:45 am

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 39):
Imagine needing a transplant and end up on a waiting list.

Happens all the time in the US

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 39):
They pay exhorbitant taxes in exchange for a sub-par health system.

A better health system than ours and comparing the cost of health insurance to the increase in taxes, they pay less

NoUFO

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 27):
though you will probably have to stand in line, and of course go through security. (snip)..allow 2-3 hours, depending on how long the line is to get in.

Tip: If you don't want to call them in advance and make an appointment, I suggest you come at either 8:00 am or a quarter to 10 pm. Entrance closes at 10 pm, the queue then is relatively short (approx. waiting time: 20 min) and you'll still have two hours to see Reichtag building from the inside.
It's really worth it.

StevenUhl777

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:28 pm

NoUFO: When I was there last July, I think I got there around 9:15, and the line was still quite long, on to the grass about 100 feet off the steps, and I think I had to wait about 30-40 mins. I did get some great evening pics., though, and then took some of the Brandenburger Tor as well. It started raining quite heavily, and I ended up running all the way down 17th June Strasse to Grosse Stern (I think that's what it's called...the tall statue near the Tiergarten). Anyhow...won't forget that evening or my 3 days there...I love Berlin! I wish I could find a way to live there one day.

Libturdslayer: Berlin sucks. No history. No culture. Not a damn thing worth seeing. I wouldn't bother going, you'd hate it, trust me. Gay parades everywhere. Same thing in the rest of Europe. The longer you stay away, the greater the chance that the Europeans might actually like us again one day in the distant future.

NoUFO

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:09 pm

StevenUhl777,

If you come only minutes before 10, the line is somewhat shorter. But 30-40 minutes is still ok, I guess. Others literally wait hours.

I'm glad you liked it here. But didn't you ran in wrong direction? Gold Else (this is how we call Victory Column at, yes, Großer Stern) hardly is a good schelter from rain.

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 43):
The longer you stay away, the greater the chance that the Europeans might actually like us again one day in the distant future.

ROFL, don't worry, we have our fair share of nerds, too. Big grin

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:50 pm

Also, they aren't as Free as we are in America.

Not if you have anything to do with it...you and your totalitarian theocracy ideals. Who are you trying to kid?

Quoting Libturdslayer (Reply 34):
Actually, Nevada did vote for a law limiting marriage between a man and a women

Hmm, what does the bible condone prostitution, bub? I wonder whats worse, having sex with someone you love, or PAYING for it?

Quoting Libturdslayer (Reply 41):
What "culture?" In countries where church attendance is at an all time low and heterosexual marriage has fallen in favor of gay marriage, you call that "culture?" I ask again, what culture?

Hey, if religious culture is your thing, great. Europe has the most historic and culturally significant churches in the world. The church also kept Europe in the dark ages for centuries and said the fucking world was flat.
Culture:The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
Once again proving you know nothing.

You're such a little parasite thats been busy eating up all the shit handed down to you. Why don't you come back when you a) have a mind of your own, b) know pretty much anything (i'm being serious, i cannot remember a use of a single fact), or prefferably both.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

mdsh00

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:23 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 24):
What can brown do for you?

NoUFO, that is a slogan used by UPS here in the States.

My advice: Don't go to Europe. They don't really like Americans there and there isn't much to see, I've heard. Why would you want to go over there when everything you could possibly want is in America? We truly are the greatest nation ever.

Way to come in and hijack a thread, retard. You call yourself a polite and smart "Christian" but yet you are the most intolerant and hateful person I've ever met...and you're only 14 years old!

foxiboy

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:22 pm

Europe no culture HA ! thats a laugh how many years history does the US have,then compare that to europes long history,we have many different nations with thier own history and cultural differences in fact history that stretches for thousands of years,and the big cities all have such diverse populations,take london it vibrant lots to see and within a couple of hours of the capital you have glourious contryside,and many places of interest,take stonehenge over 5000 years old.
So to some of our US friends dont knock what you havent experienced or know anything about and remember the US is not the centre of the universe,but to those who have inteligence and who are not so up themselves then come over to europe and enjoy a different way of life and the cultural differences in each country in europe.

mdsh00

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:26 pm

Quoting Foxiboy (Reply 47):
So to some of our US friends dont knock what you havent experienced or know anything about and remember the US is not the centre of the universe,but to those who have inteligence and who are not so up themselves then come over to europe and enjoy a different way of life and the cultural differences in each country in europe.

Some? It's only libturdslayer and his asinine comments. I think most Americans do acknowledge that Europe has a richer history and culture. After all, many do take advanced European History in high school. Big grin

skidmarks

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:42 pm

Mdsh00, From the amount of info being fed to you there, it looks like you need a lot more than 10 days Big grin

Why not take a year out and do what the Aussies/Kiwis do. And bum your way round Europe. Spend a few weeks in each place, soak up the atmosphere and really get to know the place. Even the French are ok once you get to know them  Big grin

Just a thought. And btw, I hope a trip to the Isle of Man is on your itinery? Oldest continuous parliament in the world, steeped in history and tradition, castles, hills, sheep - we got it all!

Whatever you do, I hope you have a fantastic time over here.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

skidmarks

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:46 pm

DOH!! Age has got to me. I should have addressed the last post to Allstarflyer. Sorry - but it's early in the morning here - well, 9.45am but it is Sunday ! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional