JUANR
Topic Author

New Artistic Pictures Of Abu Ghraib

Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:05 am

Painter Fernando Botero has depicted the horror of Abu Ghraib abuses in a collection of pictures that will be exhibited in Rome and then over the world. They are artisticly awesome but unfortunately they show a cruel truth. Enjoy them, if you can:

http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/cult/ga...ALERIAFOTOS-WEB-obras-2036978.html

http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/cult/ga...ALERIAFOTOS-WEB-obras-2036986.html

http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/cult/ga...ALERIAFOTOS-WEB-obras-2036988.html

http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/cult/ga...ALERIAFOTOS-WEB-obras-2037208.html

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

UH60FtRucker

Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:19 am

While I doubt it really needs to be said, I would just like to officially state that the vast majority of Americans soldiers detest what occurred in Abu Ghraib. It was always said about being a POW: Being an American POW is horrifying. Being a POW in America's custody is a step up in living.

Unfortunately that was not true here. I will be honest, I am conflicted about the use of torture and whether/when it should be used. I just cannot bring myself to believe torture should NEVER be used. But I am perfectly comfortable believing that the treatment of POWS at Abu Ghraib was dead wrong. What distinguished us from them (aside from out technological superiority) was that we were more humane. While our enemy showed no regard for innocent life, we were willing to place more soldiers lives in danger than risk killing innocents. We treated captured soldiers with civility and the we were proud of the Gulf War I images of Americans treating captured Iraqis with water, food and shelter. This... this just set us back 20 years.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

SlamClick

Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:52 am

Your title is very misleading.
It implies that there are pictures of NEW abuses at Abu Graib.

Instead I find the imaginings of some "artist" who does not seem to be at all troubled by former Iraqi secret police beheading foreigners with a pocket knife for the crime of trying to fix Bagdhad's water system.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:58 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):

I agree completely. The story would be different if they were photos. An artists imagination can get carried away, and in some cases above, it did.

By the way, JuanR, I don't see any drawings of the poor bastards that were beheaded with a knife in there? I don't see any drawings of IEDs being put in place.

That said, I think the actions of the few at Abu Ghraib were deplorable. I said the same thing when it first became public knowledge. I'll say it today and tomorrow. Deplorable. There is absolutely no excuse for their actions and I could not accept any offered.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Usairwys757

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:01 pm

ANC, your pretty smart for a Republican my man.

That said, I think the thread title should be changed. Misleading.

[Edited 2005-04-16 05:01:43]
Inactive.....

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 4):
Republican

Independent . . . Independent . . . Independent . . . Independent . . . .  hissyfit 

wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Usairwys757

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:07 pm

My good, I dont know why I mistakened you for one of "them".  Wink

I must have mixed you up with Falcon84. He's so far to the right its not even funny.  Wink  Wink

[Edited 2005-04-16 05:10:49]
Inactive.....

JUANR
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:11 pm

The title is not misleading, I those pictures have just been released this week, I never wrote anything about new abuses or anything like that.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
By the way, JuanR, I don't see any drawings of the poor bastards that were beheaded with a knife in there? I don't see any drawings of IEDs being put in place

I agree, that is cruel too, but you should ask that to the painter, not me, I do condemn those beheadings as well.

I just want to share the pictures with you, those will be exhibited worldwide as he is a very recognized artist in the world, I do not care about his purposes when painting those pictures, but their quality is really high. He is famous for painting, among other things, violence here in Colombia and his pictures and sculpures are recognized worldwide.

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

CaptOveur

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:14 pm

I was hoping for some pictures of that horrible interrogation technique where a female American soldier wears a thong to interrogate an Iraqi
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

DfwRevolution

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:31 pm

Quoting JUANR (Thread starter):
They are artisticly awesome but unfortunately they show a cruel truth.

Oh boo fricking hoo....

There has been an Abu Ghraib of every single modern war, and they were all far worse. Had this happened on a college campus, it would have been dismissed as frat boys being frat boys. Yet some pansy has to make a knock-off of Picasso's Guernica. Calling Abu Ghraib an atrocity is a slap in the face to real tragedies and cheapens the victims of horrors like Andersonville, the Soviet Goulags, the Cambodian death fields, or Rawanda.

[Edited 2005-04-16 06:33:33]

aviationmaster

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:03 pm

Quoting JUANR (Reply 7):
The title is not misleading, I those pictures have just been released this week, I never wrote anything about new abuses or anything like that.

It is misleading, nuff said. First off they aren't pictures. We are talking about PAINTINGS here. Your title could also be understood in the way that new pictures of abuses at Abu Gharaib have surfaced...

Que tenga un buen dia,
Christian

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting JUANR (Reply 7):
I do condemn those beheadings as well.

Fair enough.

SlamClick

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting JUANR (Reply 7):
The title is not misleading,

Well consider this:

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
I agree completely. The story would be different if they were photos. An artists imagination can get carried away, and in some cases above, it did.

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 4):
That said, I think the thread title should be changed. Misleading.

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 10):
It is misleading, nuff said. First off they aren't pictures. We are talking about PAINTINGS here.

So it is four to one against you. Three from the US and one from Switzerland. Perhaps your command of English is not good enough to comprehend the problem with your words, but the title IS misleading.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jamesag96

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:47 am

Misleading...and discussed to death.

The "horror" as you call it...was severely overblown by the media, leftists, and anti-war crowd.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

dan2002

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:21 am

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Klaus

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:29 am

Jamesag96: The "horror" as you call it...was severely overblown by the media, leftists, and anti-war crowd

The families of the several people all over the worldwide US detention system (by far not just in Abu Ghraib) who were tortured to death would find your statement somewhat offensive.

tbar220

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:25 am

Discussed to death?

Lord forbid that we talk about our country, the beacon of freedom and democracy, using torture on foreign POW's. Lord forbid that we hold our country to the highest standards. I hold my own country to the highest standards, more than any other. It is the most patriotic thing I can do. I know that the terrorists are gonna be doing crazy shit, what I'd prefer is that our soldiers do not.

That is why this is discussed.
NO URLS in signature

Catatonic

Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting JUANR (Thread starter):
They are artisticly awesome but unfortunately they show a cruel truth

Why are they all so fat?
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

AA777

RE: New Artistic Pictures Of Abu Ghraib

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting Jamesag96 (Reply 13):

The "horror" as you call it...was severely overblown by the media, leftists, and anti-war crowd.

Well if that's how you feel, lets ship you off to Abu Ghraib, to be stripped, beaten, humiliated, and sexually assaulted...... Then you tell me that it was overblown by the media and leftists.

The fact that you dismiss the horrifying things that went on there at the hands of Americans, who are supposed to be "above" all that, is frankly sad and only speaks of (your) bigotry and blindness. It shows how disgusting this war truly is. Have a nice day.

-AA777

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Independent . . . Independent . . . Independent . . . Independent . . .

Well, I'm Republican, and I agree with ANCFlyer. Absolutely despicable. This is not behavior that should be tolerated.

It is always painful for such behavior to come to light, and embarrassing, too. But it's good for the soul. Bringing such abuses to the light of day is the first step in eliminating them.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

SFOMEX

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:59 pm

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 17):
Why are they all so fat?

Botero's style. All their paintings have overweight people on them.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

JUANR
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 20):
Botero's style. All their paintings have overweight people on them.

Not only people, animals, things, everything is overweight in Botero's paintings.

Juan
SKBO

NumberTwelve

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:26 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 19):
This is not behavior that should be tolerated.

But it has been, and it still is. And imagine: this would have happened to US citizens - US citizens were tortured and murdered. The tortured and murdered people are "only" Iraqi, so that's no big deal. Hmmm, in civilized countries we call it "Racism"

In Germany we had other cases of US behavour: a US soldier who murdered a woonded and helpless Iraqi, didn't land in prison - his collegue who refused going back to Iraq (cause of the behavour of the 1st soldier) landed in jail for 1 year.

And this criminal bast*** (murderer) is free, can't even judged in La Hague.

[Edited 2005-04-17 18:28:54]
signature censored by admin - so check my profile