flyboy1980

Any German A.netters Care To Explain "schnappi"?

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:02 pm

I saw a music video the other day that was by something called Schnappi - a green cartoon crocodile, while the singing was by a child, I think in German.

Is this schnappi famous in Europe for something?

The croc kept trying to eat a fly.

mrniji

RE: Any German A.netters Care To Explain "schnappi"?

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:07 pm

"Schnappen" means to snap sth quickly (like a lizzard snaps a fly with its tongue)... Schnappi is the personalization of Schnappen (as you would call in literature theory the personalization of a verb).. i.e. same if you call a crocodile snappi

As you say, the crocodile tries to eat a fly.. i.e. it tries to snap it.. as it is a childs song, they might call the crocodile Schnappi, as it is characterized to shap flies...

Schnappi: nothing popular afaik, probably it only refers to the crocodile in that song...

Hope this confusing explaination helps  

[Edited 2005-04-20 08:12:53]
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

flyboy1980

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:13 pm

Yeah, that makes sense.

It's just that it wasn't even on children's TV - it was on a local music channel here in New Zealand. Perhaps it's a bit like the Teletubbies or Bob The Builder songs that did OK in the pop charts even though they weren't "real" music.

mrniji

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:20 pm

I do not follow the Music scene at the moment.. probably some member, who is at present in Germany, knows more?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Leskova

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:28 pm

That annoying little tune has, fortunately, disappeared from radios here by now - it's been weeks since I've last heard it...

There's actually a website dedicated to it - but it's only available in German:

http://www.schnappi.tv

You can even listen to the song or watch the video there (once you're past the intro-screen, click on "Hören und Sehen", there's a tracklist at the bottom from which you can either select the "Original Mix" or the "Koroko Italo Mix" - and there's a link on the right side (below the title "Sehen") with which you can watch the video (audio & video are both in RealPlayer format).

Essentially, the whole thing started out as a song for children (as Mrniji has already mentioned), and the writer/composer put the whole thing on the internet so that others could "enjoy" the music as well: the whole thing got so popular that they released a CD with the song, which - uncomprehensible as it may seem - sold in thousands if not millions...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Andreas

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:44 pm

Millions I'm afraid!!!! One of these happy little tunes that get on your nerves IMMEDIATELY, and never cease to get on your nerves.

Right, a children song that was written by the little girl's aunt for said little girl to sing...a nice idea really, but I'll never understand why people think they have a right to get on the nerves of other people by publishing it.

One of the darker sides of the Internat age  banghead   bomb   vomit 
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

SK A340

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:54 pm

Quoting Leskova (Reply 4):
That annoying little tune has, fortunately, disappeared from radios here by now - it's been weeks since I've last heard it...

And now it's coming to Sweden. I have a feeling that this summer I won't have my radio on.

/Micke

mrniji

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:08 pm

I just wonder why: the market-driven approach has caused that everyone tries to sell their shit. And funnily, people buy all this stuff and watch these lousy TV shows etc... everything about consumption, consumption... letter has become a status symbol and makes people stupid

monteycarlos

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:42 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 1):
As you say, the crocodile tries to eat a fly.. i.e. it tries to snap it.. as it is a childs song, they might call the crocodile Schnappi, as it is characterized to shap flies...

I heard the club version of it and oh my god I hate that song!!! Some crocodile remix crap! I haven't had such a bad reaction to music since Hanson's last number 1 hit...
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

aloges

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:54 pm

Argh! Nooo! That song is so horrible, and the worst part is I won't be able to get it out of my head during the next hours and classes!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.